Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 1565 times)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
Podcasts
« on May 14, 2020, 03:42:13 pm by Mike_F »
Anyone on here listen to podcasts?

It's somethign I've been doing for a couple of years now and there a few that Ir really enjoy.

Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson's Athletico Mince was the first one that I got into and I still love it now. I've been to both live tours that they've done and I know of at least one other overs supporter who's a fan.

I've also been listening to Chris & Rosie Ramsey's Shagged, Married, Annoyed since it started. It's become really big since Chris was on Strictly Come Dancing and I think you can tell that a bit as it doesn't feel quite as intimate these days but still an enjoyable listen every Friday.

The one that I'm completely hooked on at the moment though is Have a Word with Adam Rowe and Dan Nightingale. If you haven't heard of them, they're a couple of top club comedians and they're usually hilarious but also really interesting with some of the tales of life on the road as a touring comic.

I've dabbled with Gossipmongers which occasionally has me crying with laughter but a lot of it is quite irritating/self indulgent which puts me off a bit.

For more informative and geeky stuff I like The Infinite Monkey Cage with Brian Cox and Robin Ince and No Such Thing as a Fish with the QI elves.

Anyone got any suggestions? I suppose I ought to try Under the Cosh but not got round to it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2020, 03:59:35 pm by keyser_soze »
I started listening to Podcasts with the classic Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington that are now pretty ubiquitous and been made into the TV programme with the cartoon characters.

I listen to Athletico Mince, and also enjoy Richard Herring (although there are loads) and Adam Buxton's podcasts

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2020, 04:01:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Private Eye's Page 94 podcast is always worth a listen.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2020, 04:28:09 pm by nightporter »
I do enjoy Peter Beardsleys jokes on Athletico Mince.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2020, 05:32:17 pm by Mike_F »
Yeah me too. Gives me hope that he's keeping his spirits up after all the trouble with the foreign lads.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2020, 05:39:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Radio4 "In Our Time" is worth the license fee alone. It is a fantastic contribution to human knowledge and understanding. 22 years worth of weekly episodes covering every aspect of history, science, philosophy, art, literature, politics. Melvin Bragg playing the role of the interested amateur, asking simple and sharp questions of a panel of leading experts on the topic addressed each week. And slapping them down sharpish if they start deviating and not answering in layman's terms precisely the question that he has asked.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2020, 05:42:35 pm by mushRTID »
I love under the cosh.
Some good guests with brilliant stories.
Also tend to be lower league players rather than premier league stars which I think makes it more relatable.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 14, 2020, 06:09:11 pm by Copps is Magic »
Stuff I listen to.

Astronomy / Physics
whatdamath

Physics
Sean Carroll

Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Physics
Lex Fridman

Biology, Evolution, Covid-19 stuff
Bret Weinstein (academic couple who got sacked from their jobs for ridculous reasons, have an interesting series developing)

Medicine, Biology, alot of covid-19 stuff recently
Medcram

Science in general
The Royal Institute

History
Dan Carlin - Hardcore History (haven actually listened to this but on my list to start)

Criminal Psychology, True Crime
JCS

Prison stories, true crime
Shaun Attwood (he drifts into conspiracy theories at times (actually big time) but if you ignore all that the prison/crime stuff is very interesting

Comedy
Internet Comment Etiquette
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:12:17 pm by Copps is Magic »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 14, 2020, 07:04:12 pm by silent majority »
Since the lockdown I've hardly bothered, mostly because I used to listen to podcasts when walking the dog, but my missus comes with me now, so I have to listen to her instead!

But the ones I used to enjoy are;

The Price of Football  with Kieran McGuire

Football Daily

That Peter Crouch Podcast

Comedy of the Week

The Infinite Monkey Cage

You're Dead to Me

Beyond Today  - suspended for the time being but a great BBC offering

50 Things That Made The Modern Economy - absolutely excellent for the back story on so many items we take for granted.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:03:09 pm by silent majority »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 14, 2020, 07:38:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
50 Things That Made The Modern Economy

I discovered that one a month or two back. Very much recommended.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 15, 2020, 11:51:04 am by silent majority »

Tim Harford did an episode on pensions and how they are a pretty recent invention. It was excellent, and also appeared on the BBC page and is an incredible read and a bit of an eye opener;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50673645

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 15, 2020, 11:55:32 am by IDM »
Podcasts are something I haven’t got into at all.

Excuse my ignorance, whilst I assume these can be heard on their host sites at any time (rather than or as well as live), but can they be downloaded.?

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 15, 2020, 11:58:05 am by keyser_soze »
I think the definition of a podcast is it is a completed article that is downloaded to listen later, its not a live stream (as far as I know!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 15, 2020, 12:16:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Tim Harford did an episode on pensions and how they are a pretty recent invention. It was excellent, and also appeared on the BBC page and is an incredible read and a bit of an eye opener;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50673645

In some ways pensions are the oldest thing in civilisation. Folk just used to have loads of kids to look after them when they became infirm.

Defined benefit pensions like the State Pension are effectively the same thing, just collectivised. So are defined contribution pensions where the pensioner intends to invest the pot and rely on the earnings. In all those cases, the pensioner is relying on the economic efforts of the next generation,  after the pensioner themself has spent their economically productive life looking after the generation above them.

That's what worries me about how this generation of pensioners have rapidly pulled the rope ladder up behind them. They have unwittingly made it harder for society to look after them.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2020, 12:35:33 pm by Mike_F »
Podcasts are something I haven’t got into at all.

Excuse my ignorance, whilst I assume these can be heard on their host sites at any time (rather than or as well as live), but can they be downloaded.?

Correct. I never really got the point of them when I first heard about them but that's because I generally heard about the ones linked to radio shows that I was already listening to so didn't see any value in listening to the edited highlights of something I'd already heard.

There's such an array of stuff out there now that you can pick pretty much any topic you like and listen to experts or enthusiasts discussing it. Or if you have a favourite comedian/comedy style you'll find something really funny to listen to while you're cooking/gardening/going for a walk/driving/whatever.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 15, 2020, 01:23:44 pm by NickDRFC »
I’ve not listened to many but the popular stand one is a decent listen.

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 15, 2020, 11:39:00 pm by drfcdrfc »
Quite a few years ago I used to listen to Jay and silent Bob get old. Absolutely loved it, should really check if it is still going

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 16, 2020, 01:14:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This one is amazing..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

Moment by moment deconstruction of the Apollo XI and XIII missions. Full of nerdy detail but edge of the seat gripping too.

What struck me was

a) The astonishing degree of regimentation of the management process.
 b) How young so many of the Mission Control staff were, and the responsibilities on their heads.
c) When push came to shove, the self-control of Armstrong in managing the last few minutes before landing.

It raised hairs on the back of my neck listening to that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:18:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 18, 2020, 11:35:18 am by Mike_F »
I’ve not listened to many but the popular stand one is a decent listen.

Can't believe I missed that one off the list! for anyone searching for it it's called Podular Stand

TinyPortal © 2005-2012