Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:37:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: George Floyd protests  (Read 5911 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: George Floyd protests
« Reply #30 on June 05, 2020, 08:30:39 am by GazLaz »
It’s amazing how many people, (not just on here but in general) that have previous history of having pretty poor opinions on things, end up going down the “all lives matter” route. If you are using that mantra you are part of the problem.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 05, 2020, 09:42:22 am by IDM »
Whoa.!!

Easy tigers.!!

I used the words All Lives Matter in the sense of being fully inclusive - “all lives” includes “black lives”.  It doesn’t mean I disagree in any way with the current highlighting of the unforgivable issues affecting black communities in the USA and worldwide.

When I say all lives matter, I mean it literally in the sense of any community which is mistreated or lives under threat etc.

It does not intend to diminish the current message about the black communities, in any way.  In response to the house fire analogy posted before, of course, it is right and proper to focus on the areas in immediate need.

I am actually quite upset that some people on here would think I have any views that are in any way racist, or that I would be part of the problem. 

You guys know what my posting tone is like..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:07:00 am by IDM »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 05, 2020, 09:59:34 am by SydneyRover »
I'm ok with your bona fides IDM

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 05, 2020, 10:19:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM
I've no problem with your opinions and I know exactly what you meant when you said all lives do matter.

Problem is, that phrase has been hijacked by the far Right to paint black protests in a negative light.

I'm absolutely sure that's not the context that you were using it in. But phrases do take on meanings beyond the actual words.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 05, 2020, 10:29:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 05, 2020, 10:32:40 am by IDM »
IDM
I've no problem with your opinions and I know exactly what you meant when you said all lives do matter.

Problem is, that phrase has been hijacked by the far Right to paint black protests in a negative light.

I'm absolutely sure that's not the context that you were using it in. But phrases do take on meanings beyond the actual words.

I see, I was unaware of that context.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 05, 2020, 11:14:33 am by Not Now Kato »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 05, 2020, 11:19:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Remember. The protests started because of out of control police violence.

The correctness of the protests has only been amplified by what has happened since.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 05, 2020, 01:21:23 pm by Axholme Lion »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 05, 2020, 02:14:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He sounds right to me.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 05, 2020, 02:37:01 pm by idler »
He sounds a lot more sensible than some of the politicians and police spokespersons over there.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 05, 2020, 02:55:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A somewhat controversial question would be to ask how would his comments have been received if he was a White bloke?

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 05, 2020, 02:59:52 pm by Iberian Red »
It's not controversial tho is it?(asked another stupid question)
See what I did there?
It's a f"*#ing ridiculous statement.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 05, 2020, 03:12:14 pm by Iberian Red »
Whoa.!!

Easy tigers.!!

I used the words All Lives Matter in the sense of being fully inclusive - “all lives” includes “black lives”.  It doesn’t mean I disagree in any way with the current highlighting of the unforgivable issues affecting black communities in the USA and worldwide.

When I say all lives matter, I mean it literally in the sense of any community which is mistreated or lives under threat etc.

It does not intend to diminish the current message about the black communities, in any way.  In response to the house fire analogy posted before, of course, it is right and proper to focus on the areas in immediate need.

I am actually quite upset that some people on here would think I have any views that are in any way racist, or that I would be part of the problem. 

IDM. I'm sure Gaz directed that at a post you replied to. He wasnt referring to you. You quoted it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 05, 2020, 03:19:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just out of interest, who on here or elsewhere has been condoning rioting and looting?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 05, 2020, 04:44:42 pm by bpoolrover »
Idm on the all lives matter, a lot of people use it but some people think it’s not appropriate it’s certainly not racist and of course your right all lives do matter so I wouldn’t worry about it

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 05, 2020, 05:58:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Whoa.!!

Easy tigers.!!

IDM, I hope you don't think I believe you to be racist or was calling you such with my post last night because I certainly don't think you are. "All lives matter" is being used as a phrase to inflame/demean those standing up for the rights of Black citizens in the US and I felt that needed pointing out, with some context.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 05, 2020, 06:01:40 pm by IDM »
Thank you, I appreciate that - this was something I was unaware of..

Language, eh.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 05, 2020, 06:28:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Idm on the all lives matter, a lot of people use it but some people think it’s not appropriate it’s certainly not racist and of course your right all lives do matter so I wouldn’t worry about it
Bpool.

The phrase "All lives matter" is used extensively by white supremacists with the intention of showing that black people who say "Black lives matter" think that ONLY black lives matter, or that they matter more than white lives. And to therefore whip up aggression among whites.

THAT is the problem with it.

The phrase "Black lives matter" does not and never has implied that other lives matter less. It simply highlights the fact that, in many places, the case that "black lives matter" has to be made. Because in many places, blacks ARE treated with lower standards than whites. For the most part, we don't NEED to make the argument that "White lives matter" - we know they do because society is set up that way.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 05, 2020, 07:37:26 pm by bpoolrover »
Yes mate I already new that as have seen the arguing on social media over it

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 05, 2020, 10:08:07 pm by Donny Dub »
All humans matter.  Is that unoffensive BST?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 05, 2020, 11:22:14 pm by SydneyRover »
out trumped himself again, that cola must have rotted his small brain

'''Revolting': Trump condemned for saying George Floyd is praising US economy''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/05/trump-george-floyd-comments-economy-unemployment

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 05, 2020, 11:38:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DD

As with every single comment that anyone ever makes, it all depends on the context.

Value-neutral, that phrase is one that everyone can agree with.

If it is used (as the "All live matter" line is, constantly) to imply that black people are valuing themselves above white people then yes, it is racist.

I genuinely do not understand why this is even needing to be discussed. The line "Black lives matter" was coined not to imply that white ones don't. It was coined to ram the message into the faces of those who (by actions or inactions) have made clear that they do NOT believe black lives matter as much as white ones. There is an implicit "too" at the end of that phrase.

It's not a hard concept to grasp for anyone who really wants to think about it. The fact it has to be explained so often is very depressing.

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 06, 2020, 12:15:08 pm by Donny Dub »
‘BST
‘Black lives matter’ is self-evidently a racist remark.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on June 06, 2020, 12:27:07 pm by Not Now Kato »
‘BST
‘Black lives matter’ is self-evidently a racist remark.

Do you think Black Lives don't matter?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 06, 2020, 12:28:30 pm by i_ateallthepies »
DD, did you ignore BST's comment that it all depends on context?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 06, 2020, 12:36:53 pm by MachoMadness »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 06, 2020, 03:05:59 pm by wilts rover »
Prime Minister of Canada takes a knee whilst attending protests in Ottawa

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/justin-trudeau-kneel-black-lives-matter-trnd/index.html

TinyPortal © 2005-2012