Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:28:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Microsoft Edge  (Read 741 times)

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
Microsoft Edge
« on July 15, 2020, 02:47:22 pm by bahrain rover »
Hi all the computer wizards on here.
What is this Microsoft Edge that has forced itself on to all my machines recently?
Is it ok? worth using? or better ignoring?
I understand its to replace Explorer or something on those lines?
I have used Firefox for many many years, am I better to stick with this or move over?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Microsoft Edge
« Reply #1 on July 15, 2020, 03:04:15 pm by Filo »
Don’t know what it’s like, I use Chrome on laptop and Safari on ipad

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 15, 2020, 03:12:13 pm by keyser_soze »
Firefox! There's a blast from the past. Chrome for me too.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 15, 2020, 03:20:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The new MS Edge replaces not only IE but the original Edge. It has been rebuilt using the Chrome framework. It's supposed to be more secure and a lot less system-hogging than Google Chrome but I've not really tried it out yet myself.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 15, 2020, 03:27:24 pm by Not Now Kato »
This is the second iteration of the Microsoft Edge browser.  The first iteration, touted to replace Microsoft Explorer actually needed Explorer to remain on the PC in the background for Edge to work. If you uninstalled Explorer then Edge didn't work.  As I understand it, this new iteration doesn't need Explorer to be there and is based on an open source model known as chromium.

Microsoft have decided to 'force' it to be up-front in the hope that people will start to use it.  Personally, I'll be steering clear of it until more about what it's doing in the background becomes clear.

More info here....

https://www.howtogeek.com/659857/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-microsoft-edge-browser/

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 16, 2020, 12:44:22 am by RobTheRover »
Chromium is Chrome for Linux systems, and is indeed open source.  I still use Firefox on windows machines - its far less of a resource hog than Chrome or Edge.  Opera still gets an airing too (the built in VPN is handy when connecting to open hotspots like in airports)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 16, 2020, 06:18:21 am by Donnywolf »
I dont understand a word of any of that which is pretty sad BUT I do still have Firefox on my Laptop as recommended by RTR - and it works very well and so I am happy

I hate it when "they" change things (is that called a drive by) that I am perfectly happy with such as an EMail format and despite me declining to swap maybe a dozen times in the end I have to capituate and get used to and learn the new format

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 16, 2020, 07:22:28 am by EasyforDennis »
I dont understand a word of any of that which is pretty sad BUT I do still have Firefox on my Laptop as recommended by RTR - and it works very well and so I am happy

I hate it when "they" change things (is that called a drive by) that I am perfectly happy with such as an EMail format and despite me declining to swap maybe a dozen times in the end I have to capituate and get used to and learn the new format

Just upgrade to the latest version of Firefox. You don't need anything else.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 16, 2020, 01:43:31 pm by RoversAlias »
I use Firefox and Chrome for different things, and I never use Edge. It's just the modern, tarted up version of Internet Explorer which was, for the most part, complete rubbish.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012