Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:32:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Get the Pubs shut - get the Kids back to School  (Read 1758 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Get the Pubs shut - get the Kids back to School
« on August 09, 2020, 07:02:33 am by Donnywolf »
Enormous piece in Papers today by liar Johnson and already discussed widely on Sky News / ITV news (not sure about BBC - try not to watch them) - in which he has laid down the law and saying the kids SIMPLY have to go back
It seems to be that "they" will consider closing Pubs and other facilities to facilitate this but  a couple of questions spring to mind (and bear in mind I have no Kids so no axe to grind)
a) why would there be a trade off whereby shutting Restaurants and or Pubs would allow Schools to open - why is that needed and ....

b) is Johnson using this as a "tactic" so the public at large - especially those that own Pubs Restaurants etc - and the many who cant live wihout them to amalgamate and force public opinion to "encourage" Parents etc to send their kids back in September ?

I have put the last question a little clumsily - I know what I mean and hope others do

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Get the Pubs shut - get the Kids back to School
« Reply #1 on August 09, 2020, 10:26:42 am by Glyn_Wigley »
It's just like Trump in the US. The kids HAVE to go back to school but apparently it's not safe to hold an election.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 09, 2020, 11:02:44 am by Filo »
It’s now become about control of the population, we are halfway to a Dictatorship

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 09, 2020, 12:15:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Is kids going back to school not the most important thing then?  Should we let our 7 and 8 year olds suffer so we can have a beer?

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 09, 2020, 12:37:24 pm by rich1471 »
If pubs and restaurant's do have to close again?
1 How Long would they need to be closed for 1 month, 2 month or 6 month ?
2 How many more people would lose their jobs as a result of this ?
3 And how would people who work in the industry be able to afford to live, paying their bills , would they holiday payments for their bills , rent , what support would be needed to help people and business survive another lockdown.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 09, 2020, 01:00:59 pm by drfchound »
If pubs and restaurant's do have to close again?
1 How Long would they need to be closed for 1 month, 2 month or 6 month ?
2 How many more people would lose their jobs as a result of this ?
3 And how would people who work in the industry be able to afford to live, paying their bills , would they holiday payments for their bills , rent , what support would be needed to help people and business survive another lockdown.

Lots of good questions rich and difficult decisions to be made.
I bet you are glad you don’t have to make them.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 09, 2020, 01:33:05 pm by rich1471 »
I am glad I don't have to choose, but having been made redundant like a lot of people I have a new job but how long will it last if we go into lockdown again people will be very worried without financial support   

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 09, 2020, 02:12:53 pm by Donnywolf »
I for one to summarise those views above dont know why we would need to shut anything to open Schools - hence the question

Govt seem desperate to get Schools open but why do we need to make such a choice ? That was the basis of my op

I may be a little thick on this one and missing "the obvious" but I dont think anyone has answered that (will just check before posting)

PS No we have fleeted with various answers and some more great Qs from rich 1471 which are to the point for sure but not nailed it for me anyway

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 09, 2020, 02:28:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think the reasoning is because the country has reached the limit of what it can reopen before the coronavirus starts growing out of control again. Therefore some parts of society have to close (pubs/restaurants) to allow others (schools) to open.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 09, 2020, 03:33:24 pm by rich1471 »
I for one to summarise those views above dont know why we would need to shut anything to open Schools - hence the question

Govt seem desperate to get Schools open but why do we need to make such a choice ? That was the basis of my op

I may be a little thick on this one and missing "the obvious" but I dont think anyone has answered that (will just check before posting)

PS No we have fleeted with various answers and some more great Qs from rich 1471 which are to the point for sure but not nailed it for me anyway
I don't personally understand why pubs and restaurants would need to close so kids can go back to school or any business in fact , I don't what I'm missing why we have to close down one place to open another up   

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 09, 2020, 03:52:23 pm by StocktonRover »
My understanding is  that the "choice" is because with both options it is fully expected there will be pockets of Covid transmissions.
With one or the other, the thought is that the numbers infected will be manageable and won't cause the rate to get out of hand.

With both together, there is a concern that the numbers infected will grow too quickly and will overwhelm the NHS and cause a second wave.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 09, 2020, 04:09:09 pm by idler »
I've heard a rumour that Coventry are very near going into Lockdown.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 09, 2020, 04:13:57 pm by ian1980 »
I think the reasoning is because the country has reached the limit of what it can reopen before the coronavirus starts growing out of control again. Therefore some parts of society have to close (pubs/restaurants) to allow others (schools) to open.

I’m sure this was the reasoning Chris Whitty gave about it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 09, 2020, 06:30:28 pm by wilts rover »

Unlike Scotland, Wales, Ireland, New Zealand, South Korea, Vietnam, and others who have gone for a covid eradication strategy - ie they want zero cases in society, the UK government has gone for a covid elimination strategy - ie they believe the UK public will accept a level of covid in society and they will try and clamp down on any major outbreaks that happen to attempt to keep them under control.

The more places where people from different households congregate together for a period of time, the more outbreaks they expect to happen. Hence the pubs v schools question.

https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/82/9/barrett0904abstract/en/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30633-2/fulltext
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/zero-covid-coronavirus-elimination

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 09, 2020, 08:00:57 pm by idler »
I promise not to go to school but I do like the pub.😳

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 11, 2020, 02:03:04 am by bpoolrover »
Enormous piece in Papers today by liar Johnson and already discussed widely on Sky News / ITV news (not sure about BBC - try not to watch them) - in which he has laid down the law and saying the kids SIMPLY have to go back
It seems to be that "they" will consider closing Pubs and other facilities to facilitate this but  a couple of questions spring to mind (and bear in mind I have no Kids so no axe to grind)
a) why would there be a trade off whereby shutting Restaurants and or Pubs would allow Schools to open - why is that needed and ....

b) is Johnson using this as a "tactic" so the public at large - especially those that own Pubs Restaurants etc - and the many who cant live wihout them to amalgamate and force public opinion to "encourage" Parents etc to send their kids back in September ?

I have put the last question a little clumsily - I know what I mean and hope others do

do you not think the unions ect. Have a lot to answer for? If the kids don’t go back full time theN the tories have failed it’s all political scoring by sit on the fence Starmer
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:06:42 am by bpoolrover »

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 11, 2020, 08:27:49 am by Hounslowrover »
Unions want pupils back, but need to protect their members, Starmer wants schools back, he wrote to Johnson months ago suggesting a cross party consensus, this was ignored. Teachers and other school workers want to be able to wear masks, government is saying this isn't necessary. They talk about Year bubbles, ignoring the fact siblings may be spread across the year groups etc.  Lockdown since March, what have you heard from Williamson, Johnson had to change advice earlier. Only if it were so simple Bpool.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 11, 2020, 09:45:16 am by idler »

do you not think the unions ect. Have a lot to answer for? If the kids don’t go back full time theN the tories have failed it’s all political scoring by sit on the fence Starmer
I'll let you discuss it with my daughter blackpool, she's a teacher in inner City Bradford. Life is nothing like as simple as you paint it.
The big public schools and universities also made it clear from the off that they weren't re-opening any time soon. I haven't seen them criticised or that blamed on the unions.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 12, 2020, 08:04:04 pm by bpoolrover »
I’m sure it’s not as simple, certain areas need to be more careful for sure but the vast majority should have no problem on going back, have seen many posts on fb from my teacher friends claiming it’s not safe for them or the children to go back yet on the last post there they are in the pub at the weekend, so it must be safe in the pubs but not in schools, you only have to look around your streets and parks and there are huge numbers of kids not social distancing everywhere, how long should it be before the kids go back? Who will pay for the childminding for the kids that don’t go back? There are no people in intensive care in Blackpool and around 15 in hospital out of 350k plus people including the fylde coast, if things are the same in September does that warrant the kids not going back full time?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 12, 2020, 10:09:29 pm by bpoolrover »
And forgetting all the shite I wrote above this virus could well be around just like this for years so for me there is no option but to give it a go in as safe a way as possible and if it does not work then think again

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 13, 2020, 08:31:40 am by ravenrover »
What could be the consequences though of "giving it a go"?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 14, 2020, 04:07:24 am by bpoolrover »
Everything is a risk raven,but I personally think it’s a risk worth taking, if you don’t try things the kids will never go back to school until there is a vaccine

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 14, 2020, 06:10:59 am by Donnywolf »
... and would the people in the general population want to have the vaccine even when there is one

Personally at the moment I wouldnt be in the queue and the last "poll" stood at just above or below 70% which they said meant a massive number of millions would not be "immune" (cant remember the % or number so didnt speculate)

Imagine the same number(ish) of Parents dont get their kids done - they would not be immune and they probably wouldnt be sending them back either - and that could bet messy

TinyPortal © 2005-2012