Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:02:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Market  (Read 2255 times)

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
Doncaster Market
« on August 13, 2020, 11:16:49 am by WheatleyRover »
Anyone heard the plans for our once great market by the council and the private company who runs the market?

Seems they want to put another nail in the coffin by getting rid of the fixed market stalls and use pop up gazebo's instead so they can put on more events in the market square.

Just wanted to hear other forum users thoughts on this?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster Market
« Reply #1 on August 13, 2020, 11:39:37 am by River Don »
Personally I like the market area being used for events in the summer. I saw the Wedding Present perform there, it wasn't a bad show. The whole thing brought a lot of business into town, the pubs were doing very well.

I'm not sure about doing it while social distancing is on mind.

So long as the pop up market stalls are robust enough, I have no problem with the plan.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 13, 2020, 11:43:50 am by Filo »
They ruined a good market and put some traders out of business, occasional events won’t create the same footfall to the Town as the market did

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 13, 2020, 11:50:50 am by Herbert Anchovy »
If more people used the market then there’d be no need to do this. The fault lies not with the Council but with the people of Donny who’d prefer to use supermarkets.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 13, 2020, 12:18:01 pm by River Don »
They ruined a good market and put some traders out of business, occasional events won’t create the same footfall to the Town as the market did

I don't think the events would really compete with the market traders.

The biggest issue the market traders have, after the existance of discount supermarkets like Aldi is the lack of free parking.

I notice Donny council have plans to build on the existing shoppers carpark, so... No joy there.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 13, 2020, 12:27:05 pm by Axholme Lion »
Does anyone know what that big building is that they are putting up where Coal House/Old Council offices was? Please don't tell me it's a shiny new office block for the council.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 13, 2020, 12:32:56 pm by turnbull for england »
Cinema

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 13, 2020, 12:42:17 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
A few years ago there was a trial down here to allow free parking on market days in an effort to increase footfall across a few of the old outer London markets. The first month or so saw big increases in shoppers but this soon fell again as the novelty wore off, despite free parking continuing. As a pal of mine said “why would I trail around Ilford market in the pissing rain when I can get all my gear at Sainsburys around the corner?”. People shop for convenience and buying everything under one roof is more convenient that going round a market. We get the town centres we deserve.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 13, 2020, 01:00:55 pm by WheatleyRover »
Does anyone know what that big building is that they are putting up where Coal House/Old Council offices was? Please don't tell me it's a shiny new office block for the council.

It's Doncaster UTC, University technical college, so students will be back in Waterdale, meant to be looking at turning Doncaster Central Library into a 6th form college as well.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 13, 2020, 01:06:38 pm by WheatleyRover »
I use the market for fruit and veg, a lot of the market traders have said they won't return if this goes ahead, the current fixed stalls are only 5 years old and cost thousands of pounds, they said the gazebos won't be able to be used in the wind as it is dangerous, and will be terrible in the rain as well.
the future of our market is not looking bright.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 13, 2020, 02:01:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
A few years ago there was a trial down here to allow free parking on market days in an effort to increase footfall across a few of the old outer London markets. The first month or so saw big increases in shoppers but this soon fell again as the novelty wore off, despite free parking continuing. As a pal of mine said “why would I trail around Ilford market in the pissing rain when I can get all my gear at Sainsburys around the corner?”. People shop for convenience and buying everything under one roof is more convenient that going round a market. We get the town centres we deserve.

I used to love going round Romford market, especially to the stall that sold hot salt beef bagels, That was twenty-plus years ago though so I've no idea what it's like now.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 13, 2020, 03:07:24 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

I used to love going round Romford market, especially to the stall that sold hot salt beef bagels, That was twenty-plus years ago though so I've no idea what it's like now.

I first visited Romford market in 1982. The hot salt beef bagels were second to none as the best hangover cure in London! I last visited Romford market about 2 years ago and it’s a sad, pale imitation of what it once was. Maximum 20 stalls there I’d say.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 13, 2020, 03:44:22 pm by Axholme Lion »
Cinema

If it has an organ coming up through the floor and shows films with the likes of Margaret Lockwood, Hazel Court, Dermot Walsh and Dennis Price in them I might get the motorbike and sidecar out and treat Mrs AL to a film and a bag of chips.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 13, 2020, 03:56:54 pm by WheatleyRover »
Its the Doncaster UTC where the coal house used to be, the Cinema is next to it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 13, 2020, 04:48:25 pm by Donnywolf »
If more people used the market then there’d be no need to do this. The fault lies not with the Council but with the people of Donny who’d prefer to use supermarkets.

Got to agree - when I was a lad the Market was a great go to place for everything from Food to Boot laces and everything in between (Eels to Heels I honestly just though of that)

However everything we have is changing and with the advent of Poundlands Poundstretchers  etc you can now get most of what a Market DID supply under one roof in one shop on almost any day in any weather

Then its a vicious circle - Market Traders are making less generally as the footfall to Markets (any Market in any Town I suppose) and pack in or are discouraged from even thinking about becoming a trader - so the Market loses a few stalls and people know there is less diversity and think I may pay a bit more in Supermarket but it will be there - and so on

How are other local Markets fairing ? In Thorne there used to be a waiting list on any of the 3 days. Wife used to have a Fabric Stall and was trying to break into the Market in 85 - and we had to queue on each day to see if people took up their positions and sometines she "got on". There were I guess 42 Stalls (but some people had 2 or 3 in a Row) so maybe 30 traders

Tomorrow and Saturday there will be just 2 Stalls set up - one probably selling Pet stuff and the other Plants (I am guessing on both because I pass there but never really see what is being sold) and so if that is replicated locally and nationally it will be a dire indication of the state of "Markets" today

IMO they are done for

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 13, 2020, 05:45:34 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
And yet, Farmers Markets are in absolute rude health so there’s clearly a market (pardon the pun) for this type of shopping experience.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 13, 2020, 06:23:58 pm by redwine »
Apart from fruit n veg and meat and cheese, if you want anything other than mobile phone accessories and cheap, poorly made clothing you are going to be mightily disappointed.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2020, 06:33:32 pm by Donnywolf »
Farmers Markets - yes they buck the trend - and lots of people are deffo at-tractored to them (I'll get me coyt)

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2020, 06:58:32 pm by keith79 »
the lack of people going to the market ruined the market. Not doncaster council

Dn11

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 14, 2020, 08:28:15 am by Dn11 »
I agree I still enjoy going into town to do my shopping, the fruit and veg is very cheap and so much better than the supermarket stuff, but sadly most other people now choose the easy option of the big super markets or home delivery. I’m 27 none of my friends ever go into town for anything but drinking. I think the new wool market has been a great addition to the market area as well.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2020, 12:59:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I (food) shop every Saturday in the market, anyone who thinks they can get the same in the supermarket must have very basic food shopping needs.  The fish market, even in its now shrunken state is infinitely better than any supermarket with the selection of fish and shellfish on offer.  My wife once tried buying fish in Asda and the person serving didn't know how to fillet it.  After trying for a few minutes to find another staff member the lady asked my wife if she would mind doing the rest of her shopping and then calling back.  It still wasn't ready when she went back.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2020, 08:30:12 pm by wesisback »
I (food) shop every Saturday in the market, anyone who thinks they can get the same in the supermarket must have very basic food shopping needs.  The fish market, even in its now shrunken state is infinitely better than any supermarket with the selection of fish and shellfish on offer.  My wife once tried buying fish in Asda and the person serving didn't know how to fillet it.  After trying for a few minutes to find another staff member the lady asked my wife if she would mind doing the rest of her shopping and then calling back.  It still wasn't ready when she went back.
100% this and I try and get there weekly still. As a man who has spent my whole working life in retail, nobody will ever tell me you can get comparable meat, cheese or veg in a supermarket.
Wilkinsons sausages and bacon are by a stretch the best I've had anywhere.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 16, 2020, 12:38:57 pm by EasyforDennis »

I would agree about meat and fish but would have to disagree about fruit and veg. Fruit definitely lasts longer from the supermarkets. The only thing worth going to the market now for me is Neil's cheese stall.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 16, 2020, 12:42:21 pm by turnbull for england »
Any half decent butchers is better than any supermarket, Darren's at Wheatley is spot on, gentleman's fishmonger on market is fantastic too and offered superb service through lockdown. Got to agree never had much luck with fruit and veg, cheap but home off before unpacked it

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 02, 2020, 06:07:19 am by roverstillidie91 »
I agree I still enjoy going into town to do my shopping, the fruit and veg is very cheap and so much better than the supermarket stuff, but sadly most other people now choose the easy option of the big super markets or home delivery. I’m 27 none of my friends ever go into town for anything but drinking. I think the new wool market has been a great addition to the market area as well.
Put simply Doncaster Town Centre I can only find really one word and that it is a 'Dump' whatever you want to call it. Full of cheap shops, betting shops and coffee shops and drugged up supposed homeless begging.

And there is an obvious lack of quality shops especially the Frenchgate Centre I can only maybe name a few which are decent. It isn't an attractive place.

It is way too spread out and all needs bringing in together because there are that many empty retail units. I have to disagree about the Wool Market I don't understand the concept of building it when other parts of the markets there are units lying unoccupied. Plus the last time I went there having to dodge teenagers riding their bikes in there and I've been in there a couple of times and not bought anything. Plus mixed reviews about the eateries there as well.

In addition to that there isn't anything really for kids, I have a 2 year old and I struggle to identify any kind of play areas it is just shops shops and shops. They need to see what the public want.

Personally I think all of the shops need condensing together and something different from shops and any units that are unoccupied want converting into affordable accommodation.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 02, 2020, 06:31:53 am by Donnywolf »
What do we think to this story?  Slightly odd.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/politics/council/cabinet-signs-ps910000-bailout-private-operator-runs-doncasters-markets-2958381

Undoubtedly there will be pressure on all the businesses individually and the Management Company due to the Virus but as we have all identified there are real problems for Doncaster Town centre (as there are on most other TC's) and in particular Markets

In the threads above we have highlighted (as lay people) what is "wrong" and in some cases right with Markets and their concept in general and I fear that this baling out would probably have happened anyway just perhaps not so soon

TinyPortal © 2005-2012