Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:07:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Football through the keyhole  (Read 2044 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Football through the keyhole
« on September 27, 2020, 08:32:04 am by sha66y »
There are many pros for football to remains behind closed doors!

Pay per view only
On screen interaction, like voting and player cams
Specific advertising targets
No need for huge stadia,  all grounds would be the same size, and the use of special effects could realistically enhance the experience
No need for police
Could offer vouchers for “ just eat” type hospitality so fans can munch from armchairs
No crowd aggression

The year is 2020......welcome to today’s game !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Football through the keyhole
« Reply #1 on September 27, 2020, 08:40:30 am by NickDRFC »

Pay per view only
No need for huge stadia,  all grounds would be the same size, and the use of special effects could realistically enhance the experience
No need for police
Could offer vouchers for “ just eat” type hospitality so fans can munch from armchairs
No crowd aggression

It’s a passable circumstantial substitute right now but nothing can match the feeling of being in the ground. If that’s “today’s game”, you’d lose a huge amount of fans.

I would love to hear what special effects you think could “enhance the experience”. It’s a game of football, not Jurassic Park.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 27, 2020, 08:40:56 am by Donnywolf »
Only one question for you shaggy

why would "all Grounds be the same size". Do you mean same because they will always be empty or Teams like Arsenal would abandon the Emirates and Rovers would abando Keepmoat and both move to say in Rovers case the small Stadium next to Keepmoat and Arsenal would move to their Training complex

Just wondering

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 27, 2020, 08:46:26 am by sha66y »
Only one question for you shaggy

why would "all Grounds be the same size". Do you mean same because they will always be empty or Teams like Arsenal would abandon the Emirates and Rovers would abando Keepmoat and both move to say in Rovers case the small Stadium next to Keepmoat and Arsenal would move to their Training complex

Just wondering

In the future ....there would only need to be a pitch to play on, the viewer could pay an optional fee to select the surroundings of their choice, ie, any stadium that exists today..

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 27, 2020, 08:52:40 am by sha66y »

Pay per view only
No need for police
No crowd aggression

It’s a passable circumstantial substitute right now but nothing can match the feeling of being in the ground. If that’s “today’s game”, you’d lose a huge amount of fans.

I would love to hear what special effects you think could “enhance the experience”. It’s a game of football, not Jurassic Park.

If as football supporters we were stuck with this empty ground scenario...

would you still subscribe to watching home and away games via iFollow?

and if the answer was YES!

Would you prefer to watch the game played out as it is ( bit of an un atmospheric experience)
Or would you like to be able to add say crowd noise, and a full stadium to enhance your experience....

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 27, 2020, 08:58:10 am by Bentley Bullet »
I suspect a bit of overkill here. It's a serious virus, but not in the same league as Spanish flu, for instance, regarding casualties. Like all previous viruses, it will be brought under control and will probably be a thing of the past by next spring.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 27, 2020, 09:06:16 am by Michael Shaw »
Not having the heckling from our own fans at our own players probably helps motivate our own players. Our fans aren't always as supportive as they should be at matches.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 27, 2020, 09:13:14 am by Janso »
I suspect a bit of overkill here. It's a serious virus, but not in the same league as Spanish flu, for instance, regarding casualties. Like all previous viruses, it will be brought under control and will probably be a thing of the past by next spring.
Agree with the last bit. Not necessarily by next spring, but eventually, it will go away - either it'll be beaten by a vaccine or a combination of therapeutic drugs, or it will mutate into something less serious over time. Even Spanish Flu mutated away to fight another day.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 27, 2020, 09:21:57 am by idler »
I think that once the novelty wore off people would watch local non-league teams. It's not just the 90 odd minutes at the match. It's like a family gathering, meeting the mates having a pint and a natter. The atmosphere gradually building. Also it's very unlikely that you will jump off the settee after a last minute winner and hug a complete stranger.
I give you that the food and toilets might be better though.😉

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 27, 2020, 09:28:07 am by Chris Black come back »
The difficult truth here is that for every single professional football club, their singular outgoing is player wages. Football clubs can be sustainable and survive through this crisis if the players take a significant pay cut. In League One and Two this has been done to an extent with the wage cap. How this happens elsewhere is a matter of discussion and players even in bottom end of Championship are not on huge wages and will have bills to pay as well, but for the good of the game as income collapses, expenditure has to be reduced. For professional football this can only be done by restricting wage bills.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 27, 2020, 09:41:37 am by Donnywolf »
Agree cbcb

We need people back in the Grounds to sustain the wage bills - and perhaps long term this will be the issue that starts to make the bigger Clubs think but probably wont

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 27, 2020, 09:42:05 am by NickDRFC »
The difficult truth here is that for every single professional football club, their singular outgoing is player wages. Football clubs can be sustainable and survive through this crisis if the players take a significant pay cut. In League One and Two this has been done to an extent with the wage cap. How this happens elsewhere is a matter of discussion and players even in bottom end of Championship are not on huge wages and will have bills to pay as well, but for the good of the game as income collapses, expenditure has to be reduced. For professional football this can only be done by restricting wage bills.

It’s certainly the biggest but come on, it’s not the “singular outgoing”. If it was Rovers wouldn’t have needed to make a number of their support/admin staff redundant.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 27, 2020, 09:59:29 am by Chris Black come back »

It’s certainly the biggest but come on, it’s not the “singular outgoing”. If it was Rovers wouldn’t have needed to make a number of their support/admin staff redundant.

That’s a fair point. “Biggest singular” would have been more accurate. The gearing on this means you are nibbling in edges making other staff redundant.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 27, 2020, 10:15:40 am by Colemans Left Hook »
the one thing that football through the futuristic "keyhole football "needs is

aerial fixed cameras.  imagine the pitch is
say 70 by 100 units of length and width . Defining a square arial  unit as 10 x10  units then we would have  70 fixed cameras ( like a grid when you play battleships) and hopefully this would determine once and for all if a foul was done and would kill simulation at a stroke..   

aerial views i believe don't lie but the cameras nowadays can lie.

Going down the fantasy route we could have regional "fantasy super stadiums" with these aerial cameras

i await janso's +ve comments

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 27, 2020, 10:17:56 am by sha66y »
This thread was only made in jest and all the points for going to watch the Rovers are correct...

However, and there is always a “ however”

Working from home was never meant to be forever, yet many companies and even our very own council have embraced this as a way forward...

The reality to me is that if the operating costs for a match day exceed the income being generated, the business model is flawed...

No fans in attendance means the roads would have less traffic, there would be less litter being generated, less fighting so less policing, no racial abuse problems.....

Though this is only said tongue in cheek,
Fans Can be a negative influence, as much as a positive....

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 27, 2020, 10:23:24 am by sha66y »
I think that once the novelty wore off people would watch local non-league teams. It's not just the 90 odd minutes at the match. It's like a family gathering, meeting the mates having a pint and a natter. The atmosphere gradually building. Also it's very unlikely that you will jump off the settee after a last minute winner and hug a complete stranger.

I jumped off the settee and hugged my wife 4 times....I’m sure she can’t wait for us to thump somebody 10 nil....🤪

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 27, 2020, 10:36:32 am by Colemans Left Hook »

I jumped off the settee and hugged my wife 4 times....I’m sure she can’t wait for us to thump somebody 10 nil....🤪

she's still your "DARLING"  tome what may !!!!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 27, 2020, 10:38:24 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Must admit I jumped off me sofa with a big Yesssss, when the third and fourth goals went in yesterday.

I enjoyed the build up to the match including the Live preview with Hoden and 'Spike'. But let's be right, it's no substitute for sharing in with mates or family, soaking in the pre-match atmosphere, the matchday smells of beer, pies, burgers, farts, then freshly mown emerald pitch!

Does anyone else think the refs are less influenced by the crowd and big team syndrome with the behind closed doors games?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 27, 2020, 02:09:26 pm by idler »

Must admit I jumped off me sofa with a big Yesssss, when the third and fourth goals went in yesterday.

I enjoyed the build up to the match including the Live preview with Hoden and 'Spike'. But let's be right, it's no substitute for sharing in with mates or family, soaking in the pre-match atmosphere, the matchday smells of beer, pies, burgers, farts, then freshly mown emerald pitch!

Does anyone else think the refs are less influenced by the crowd and big team syndrome with the behind closed doors games?
I think that the absence of fans is definitely a bit of a leveller regarding the refs. and big club syndrome/pressure.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 27, 2020, 02:31:09 pm by selby »
 Not for Var though with Manchester United or Chelsea

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 27, 2020, 05:50:51 pm by drfchound »
Agree cbcb

We need people back in the Grounds to sustain the wage bills - and perhaps long term this will be the issue that starts to make the bigger Clubs think but probably wont

Wolfie, not just getting people back in the ground but getting people back in the ground who haven’t already bought a season ticket.
If only ST holders get in then surely it will cost clubs to facilitate them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012