Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 11:59:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wycombe and Bolton  (Read 4129 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Wycombe and Bolton
« on October 17, 2020, 05:29:37 pm by Campsall rover »
Does any one think Wycombe will get a point in the Championship this season?

Isn’t it great to see Bolton Wanderers heading towards the National League.
Hope they enjoy playing Wealdstone and Maidenhead next season.
No disrespect intended towards those two clubs of course.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:32:16 pm by Campsall rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
Re: Wycombe and Bolton
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2020, 05:34:57 pm by Michael Shaw »
I don't think it's nice to gloat when teams struggle, so I feel sorry for Wycombe. But Bolton, hahahaha.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 17, 2020, 05:41:17 pm by tyke1962 »

Tough Campsall for Wycombe , almost impossible on their budget and ability to recruit the necessary quality at championship level .

They needed to start the new season with the bounce from their promotion and get themselves a couple of wins and some confidence going .

Rotherham hold the record of fewest ever championship points and I think Wycombe will do well to beat that tally of 21 .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 17, 2020, 05:50:39 pm by Campsall rover »
I don't think it's nice to gloat when teams struggle, so I feel sorry for Wycombe. But Bolton, hahahaha.
I wasn’t gloating. Just asking the question because they are really struggling.

As for Bolton they are a different kettle of fish altogether &
YES I WAS GLOATING.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:03:49 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 17, 2020, 05:52:21 pm by Campsall rover »

Tough Campsall for Wycombe , almost impossible on their budget and ability to recruit the necessary quality at championship level .

They needed to start the new season with the bounce from their promotion and get themselves a couple of wins and some confidence going .

Rotherham hold the record of fewest ever championship points and I think Wycombe will do well to beat that tally of 21 .
I know it’s early days still. 5 games is nothing when there are another 41 to play but I can’t see them getting 21 points Tyke.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:06:35 pm by Campsall rover »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 17, 2020, 06:02:13 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Its almost a 23 team league you have to be the next 2 worse teams to be relegated this year.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 17, 2020, 06:12:45 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

did you see the goal they Wycombe (by the way their only goal all season in the league) they scored the phrase charity begins at home comes to mind .. a ridiculous gift by the goalkeeper who i recall making a lot of mistakes in the premiership ? at either Bournemouth or Southampton

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12106771/wycombe-1-2-millwall

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2020, 06:35:07 pm by MachoMadness »
Scunny really struggling as well. Tonked 5-0 today.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2020, 06:51:31 pm by tyke1962 »
The championship is the most un-fairest league in europe .

Unless you have wealthy benefactors or receive parachute payments your going to struggle .

The £7m you get from coming up from league one is like pyssing in the Atlantic .

Ambitions for my club ........ 4th bottom ....... :woohoo:

Great innit .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2020, 06:57:19 pm by scawsby steve »

Unless you have wealthy benefactors or receive parachute payments your going to struggle .

The £7m you get from coming up from league one is like pyssing in the Atlantic .

Great innit .

Chin up Tyke; you're the first team to take a point from Bristol City.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2020, 07:30:17 pm by tyke1962 »

Great innit .

It might be your problem too next season Steve with the way you've started this season .

:thumbsup:

Cracking win that today .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2020, 08:10:22 pm by Campsall rover »

Great innit .

It might be your problem too next season Steve with the way you've started this season .

Won’t be our problem next season Tyke because we are going straight up to the Premier league.
No point in messing about at the bottom end of the Championship it is best to get out of that league as quick as possible.   :) :) :)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2020, 08:40:12 pm by Draytonian III »

Totally agree

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2020, 08:56:22 pm by tyke1962 »

Great innit .

Won’t be our problem next season Tyke because we are going straight up to the Premier league.
No point in messing about at the bottom end of the Championship it is best to get out of that league as quick as possible.   :) :) :)

I wonder who the last team were to do that ? , possibly Southampton about 12 years ago , can't think of anyone since .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 18, 2020, 06:05:17 am by Donnywolf »
Scunny really struggling as well. Tonked 5-0 today.

As Jeff Stelling said - "and Scunthorpe struggling shipping Lorry loads of goals". Made my day that bit brighter even though I amassed just another 4 Points in Super6

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 18, 2020, 06:38:52 am by Donnywolf »

I think Wycombe will get some points won in "giant killer" style like an FA Cup winner does but dont think they will get 21 Points and thats a sad reflection on Fooball and what it has become.

In years gone by Teams could make it from Div 4 to the Top tier and be competetive. I remember (I think) Northampton doing it maybe in the late 60s but it cant be done as easily now and takes away the romance of the game - the dreaming of mixing with Man U etc.

The only way that could happen now is them going bust and be relegated as Rangers were way down the pyramid OR a Billionaire taking over a Club like Wycombe and building them a sustainable competitive Team and a Stadium capable of holding the "masses" who want to watch them. MK Dons spring to mind - I mean you can project and predict the numbers you hope for in the future and then see the results of what you predicted laughing at you each and every home game (when allowed in of course)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 18, 2020, 07:08:05 am by IDM »
We managed to sustain 4 seasons in the championship not so long ago. 

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 18, 2020, 10:23:56 am by dknward2 »
Let be honest Wycombe wouldn’t have made the playoffs if the season had continued.

They voted to end the season as they said they couldn’t afford to play now amazingly playing in the championship I haven’t heard any complaints

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 18, 2020, 10:58:19 am by tyke1962 »
Let be honest Wycombe wouldn’t have made the playoffs if the season had continued.

They voted to end the season as they said they couldn’t afford to play now amazingly playing in the championship I haven’t heard any complaints

You could make a case for all three of the promoted clubs from League One not really earning it .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 18, 2020, 11:03:34 am by Donnywolf »
We managed to sustain 4 seasons in the championship not so long ago. 

Yes agree but I was really saying no team could from lower echelons could really go from Div 2 to Prem these days as WWFC are proving

Northampton was in the 60s and they made it from Div 4 in 60/61

They stayed a Season in Div 3 before getting promotion in 62/63

They stayed a Season in Div 2 finishing 11th and then got promotion in 64/65

They played in top tier in 1965/66 so in a few Seasons they had risen from "nowt to summat" and by 68/69 they were back down in Division 4

That is what I think would be really difficult these days (not the coming down bit)

Looking at their history Barry Lines made history by being the first Player to play and score for the same Club in all 4 divisions AND one that made me chuckle .... when they were in the top tier the only Double they did was v Aston Villa and they have never played them in the League again so boast a 100% record against them of P2 W2 and that will be my theory last a much much longer time

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 18, 2020, 12:11:29 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
i checked Northampton out last night and YES their RETURN train ticket they purchased (!!!) from the 4th division to the first "with hindsight" must have  allowed them to break their journey and stay a year at each stopping point (sorry division)  on their outward journey (to the first division)

it is quite easy to forget Brighton & Hull did in in their own time

not sure how long Carlisle took but as we oldies know they did the ultimate .....    i'll let our younger bretheren work out exactly what but the clue is Bill Green their centre half (we have talked about this in the last 3 years on here)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 18, 2020, 12:29:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
The quickest for any team to get from Tier 4 to Tier 1 (since Football Tier 4 started in 1958) is 4 seasons by the old Wimbledon (1982-86, 2 years in Tier 2) and Swansea (1977-81, also 2 seasons in Tier 2). (Swansea took 7 years in their more recent such climb).

The quickest to fall from Tier 1 to 4 in that time is Bristol City (1979-82) and Wolves (1983-86) who did it in 3 successive seasons.

The quickest return journey from Tier 4 to Tier1 and back again is 9 years by Northampton (1960-69, 5 to rise, 4 to fall) and Swansea (1977-86, rose in 4, fell in 4 but actually had atwo seasons in Tier 1)

Carlisle, Oxford, Luton, Grimsby and Leyton Orient have all fallen at some stage from Tier1 to the Conference

The current lowest ranking team to have played in all 4 tiers of the Football League is Bradford Park Avenue.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:32:03 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 19, 2020, 02:57:40 pm by Frankie Rennie »

Wanderers are just lulling the rest of L2 into a false sense of security by giving them a start Michael before we go on a promotion winning run.

At least nobody can complain about us playing kids this season, who actually put more effort in than the lot we’re saddled with now.

Anyway you guys have every right to laugh at us we are a complete joke. Don’t you just love football? 😉

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 19, 2020, 04:03:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I think Wycombe will get some points won in "giant killer" style like an FA Cup winner does but dont think they will get 21 Points and thats a sad reflection on Fooball and what it has become.

In years gone by Teams could make it from Div 4 to the Top tier and be competetive. I remember (I think) Northampton doing it maybe in the late 60s but it cant be done as easily now and takes away the romance of the game - the dreaming of mixing with Man U etc.

The only way that could happen now is them going bust and be relegated as Rangers were way down the pyramid OR a Billionaire taking over a Club like Wycombe and building them a sustainable competitive Team and a Stadium capable of holding the "masses" who want to watch them. MK Dons spring to mind - I mean you can project and predict the numbers you hope for in the future and then see the results of what you predicted laughing at you each and every home game (when allowed in of course)

They weren't competitive though, they went all the way straight back down again and had to apply for re-election six years after being in Division 1.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 19, 2020, 04:21:02 pm by Donnywolf »
From Reply #19 above - and as you can see (rare for me) Post has not been edited to add that

They played in top tier in 1965/66 so in a few Seasons they had risen from "nowt to summat" and by 68/69 they were back down in Division 4

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 20, 2020, 12:06:28 am by andysly »
What I do remember about Carlisle, is putting them top of the old Division One on my Shoot League Ladders, I'm pretty sure they won their first 3 matches.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 20, 2020, 03:30:25 am by BobG »
Joe Laidlaw was a big part of that Carlisle team too. Big in all senses btw.

BobG

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 20, 2020, 05:19:32 pm by scawsby steve »

BobG

I might be wrong Bob, but wasn't Chris Balderstone a part of that team as well?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 20, 2020, 05:32:48 pm by roversdude »

Wanderers are just lulling the rest of L2 into a false sense of security by giving them a start Michael before we go on a promotion winning run.

At least nobody can complain about us playing kids this season, who actually put more effort in than the lot we’re saddled with now.

Anyway you guys have every right to laugh at us we are a complete joke. Don’t you just love football? 😉

Frankie we know better than most what it’s like to be down there - we might be laughing but it’s at the owners and Billy Big Bollock fans not the genuine fans such as yourself

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 20, 2020, 07:15:42 pm by idler »

BobG

I might be wrong Bob, but wasn't Chris Balderstone a part of that team as well?
He was.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012