Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:26:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ian Evatt  (Read 2590 times)

Scooter

• VSC Member
Ian Evatt
« on October 24, 2020, 11:35:48 pm by Scooter »
Ian Evatt has publicly criticised his young goalkeeper tonight and told him to “man up”. My opinion is that he has shown poor leadership and poor man-management and that  chances are the poor lad’s confidence is going to go down the pan. Maybe it’s because my research is about professional football and mental health and one of the issues is masculinity in the dressing room but I totally disagree with this approach. I wondered what your views are, and in particular how would you react if Darren said this about Louis Jones for example?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
Re: Ian Evatt
« Reply #1 on October 25, 2020, 07:03:24 am by Belle_Vue »
Might be wrong here but isn't their keeper on loan? Wonder what his parent club think of it

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 25, 2020, 07:09:24 am by sha66y »
I’m sure the liberals will make something of it,

However being told to man up is just an expression, and in context is a mild bollocking...

To see this as a personal attack on one’s masculinity is plain daft....

My opinion of course

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 25, 2020, 08:04:37 am by dickos1 »
Some players will react better to praise and encouragement and some to criticism and a bollocking.
It’s down to the manager which is the best approach for each player

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 25, 2020, 08:47:00 am by graingrover »
There is a huge educational void in football in terms of   ( as Darren would say ) man management .You do not expect therm all to have to pursue MBA credentials but some form of basic understanding of the behavioural dynamics of individuals working in a team is often lacking .Check out the interviews with the Crawley manager on youtube to get the flavour .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 25, 2020, 09:01:05 am by drfchound »
Some players will react better to praise and encouragement and some to criticism and a bollocking.
It’s down to the manager which is the best approach for each player

Agreed Dickos.
I think Ferguson got that wrong with Ross Etheridge.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 25, 2020, 10:01:29 am by Glyn_Wigley »

However being told to man up is just an expression, and in context is a mild bollocking...

My opinion of course

Does your opinion agree with Evatt doing it in public? To me it smacks not of man management but covering his own arse.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 25, 2020, 10:54:32 am by RoversAlias »
Very poor from Evatt in my opinion. If it doesn't work, the lad's confidence may be shot for good. As we saw with Etheridge.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 25, 2020, 11:23:34 am by Colemans Left Hook »

My opinion of course

Does your opinion agree with Evatt doing it in public? To me it smacks not of man management but covering his own arse.

how many of us when they clicked on this thread expected it to say "sacked"   

with all the quality signings on paper (maybe rice paper ? or even toilet paper) they made it is ridiculous the position they are in and the bloke deserves to be sacked , yours truely is just very happy he didn't lump on them for the league etc.   

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 25, 2020, 01:08:43 pm by RugbyRover »
Very poor from Evatt in my opinion. If it doesn't work, the lad's confidence may be shot for good. As we saw with Etheridge.

If the lads confidence is "shot for good" after receiving a very mild kick up the backside, I would suggest a career in profession football is not for him. Just my opinion of course.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 25, 2020, 02:44:38 pm by DonnyNoel »

If the lads confidence is "shot for good" after receiving a very mild kick up the backside, I would suggest a career in profession football is not for him. Just my opinion of course.

Yes because all goalkeepers peak at 20...

Also recall some young Spanish keeper get bullied for 6 months or so after his English debut. Some Scottish manager defended him to the hilt. Wonder how that went....

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 25, 2020, 02:56:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Different players can handle different levels of critique and a good man manager knows how far they can go. Take SAF for instance, he used to have a go at Rooney if Nani wasn't playing well or dribbling too much as he knew Rooney could handle it where as Nani would hide away and perform worse. Expecting all players to improve from receiving a bollocking is old fashioned and doesn't work. If Evatt knows the lad and this will get a reaction then fair enough.

Etheridge was a different case, the manager was to blame but the fans aren't innocent at all. They were on his back straight from his debut and that shattered the lads confidence. It's like how now there is probably a handful of players prefer playing without fans as they'd be straight on someone's back if they make a mistake.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 25, 2020, 04:10:05 pm by sha66y »

My opinion of course

I honestly don’t care where he does it to be honest, if it backfires the manager will have to change his method, if it gets the desired affect then it worked...

If a guy earns let’s say £1500 a week for about 20 hours training and a game of football.....he should be bloody accepting of a lot more than an ear bending in public....

I’m sure if he had a blinder and got the MOM he would accept all the plaudits and more....in fact his agent might be out there touting him....

Personally I would take him by the ear and walk him all the way home to his mums house and tell her to give him no supper.....( old school) 🤣🤣

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 25, 2020, 04:28:47 pm by DonnyNoel »

My opinion of course

I honestly don’t care where he does it to be honest, if it backfires the manager will have to change his method, if it gets the desired affect then it worked...

If a guy earns let’s say £1500 a week for about 20 hours training and a game of football.....he should be bloody accepting of a lot more than an ear bending in public....

I’m sure if he had a blinder and got the MOM he would accept all the plaudits and more....in fact his agent might be out there touting him....

Personally I would take him by the ear and walk him all the way home to his mums house and tell her to give him no supper.....( old school) 🤣🤣

£1,500 a week as a 20 y/o old keeper at Bolton? OK...

Although, just out of interest whats the line of accepabliity on abuse vs wage? Just as my cousin eanrs a decent wage at tesco but isn't too quick on bag packing.

"You're so slow it's unbelievable"
"Shit clubcard scanner, you're just a shit clubcard scanner"

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 25, 2020, 04:47:52 pm by Scooter »
Just putting a different spin on this (and forget what wages he may be on as that is not relevant).

Young 20 year old goalkeeper has worked hard to achieve his dream of playing league football. He may have sacrificed everything else to achieve this and his family may have sacrificed to take him all over the place to training, matches and trials.

He gets a chance to play for the first team and makes a few mistakes. When a keeper makes any mistake naturally he (or she) will be in the spotlight. It is likely that he will be upset for himself and feel responsible for letting his team down. He may feel guilt and embarrassment and it may consume his thoughts making him feel down and depressed.

The only person he is trying to impress is his manager as he is the one who picks the team. For the purpose of this example forget any view from the fans.

At a time when he probably needs support and and an arm round his shoulder his manager criticises him in public

The relationship could deteriorate and the keeper could struggle more under the pressure

The keeper may lose his place and eventually when his contract is up be released. If he is released from a struggling league two team he may not be wanted by any other league teams and the impact of being released may have a devastating effect on him.

He may then feel worthless and his depression could spiral. He could turn to gambling, alcoholism and/or substance abuse - all of which could exacerbate his mental health issues

Ultimately he could take his own life before he is 40.

Yes this is an extreme example and I purposely used the words could or may, however an example like this is real - it has happened to players at all levels before (and people working in Tesco and elsewhere) and it will happen again

It’s a potential sliding doors moment and a clear example of why telling him to “man up” is wrong. Criticising a player is fine but it needs to be constructive

This is just a thinking point that’s all

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 25, 2020, 05:13:18 pm by drfchound »
 :thumbsup:
Different players can handle different levels of critique and a good man manager knows how far they can go. Take SAF for instance, he used to have a go at Rooney if Nani wasn't playing well or dribbling too much as he knew Rooney could handle it where as Nani would hide away and perform worse. Expecting all players to improve from receiving a bollocking is old fashioned and doesn't work. If Evatt knows the lad and this will get a reaction then fair enough.

Etheridge was a different case, the manager was to blame but the fans aren't innocent at all. They were on his back straight from his debut and that shattered the lads confidence. It's like how now there is probably a handful of players prefer playing without fans as they'd be straight on someone's back if they make a mistake.

Regarding that last sentence, Madger got shedloads of stick from many in the South Stand (maybe the other two as well) but has flourished this season.
Could it be anything to do with no fans in the ground.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 25, 2020, 10:09:25 pm by Scooter »
To follow up on my earlier post - Copps has just tweeted about 17 year old Jeremy Wisten took his own life because of his depression caused by being released by Man City - awful news

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 25, 2020, 10:22:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But, there also some people who perform much better under pressure after criticism. It does very much depend on the person.  A very fine but almost impossible line. I'm not sure it would be my style but I don't know the individual.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 25, 2020, 10:31:39 pm by sha66y »
Just putting a different spin on this (and forget what wages he may be on as that is not relevant).

Young 20 year old goalkeeper has worked hard to achieve his dream of playing league football. He may have sacrificed everything else to achieve this and his family may have sacrificed to take him all over the place to training, matches and trials.

He gets a chance to play for the first team and makes a few mistakes. When a keeper makes any mistake naturally he (or she) will be in the spotlight. It is likely that he will be upset for himself and feel responsible for letting his team down. He may feel guilt and embarrassment and it may consume his thoughts making him feel down and depressed.

The only person he is trying to impress is his manager as he is the one who picks the team. For the purpose of this example forget any view from the fans.

At a time when he probably needs support and and an arm round his shoulder his manager criticises him in public

The relationship could deteriorate and the keeper could struggle more under the pressure

The keeper may lose his place and eventually when his contract is up be released. If he is released from a struggling league two team he may not be wanted by any other league teams and the impact of being released may have a devastating effect on him.

He may then feel worthless and his depression could spiral. He could turn to gambling, alcoholism and/or substance abuse - all of which could exacerbate his mental health issues

Ultimately he could take his own life before he is 40.

Yes this is an extreme example and I purposely used the words could or may, however an example like this is real - it has happened to players at all levels before (and people working in Tesco and elsewhere) and it will happen again

It’s a potential sliding doors moment and a clear example of why telling him to “man up” is wrong. Criticising a player is fine but it needs to be constructive

This is just a thinking point that’s all

When a young man of 18 gets the jitters because he is on the “graveyard patrol”  in Kandahar and his snec tells him to quit that shit...... reality takes a different perspective of what is the true definition of “ manning up”

I do understand, and sympathise with these young footballers who’s whole life can change for the worse if they aren’t understood...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012