Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:02:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Hull City game  (Read 5186 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Hull City game
« on November 29, 2020, 10:27:08 pm by selby »
  A real test of our ability to get points off the top sides in the division, and a team that score lot's of goals, although mainly in away games having only scored 6 in 5 home games winning 4 and losing 1 having only 2 scored against them, so a very difficult place to go and get a result.
 Playing against Wilks will be interesting and him being their top scorer I am sure he will want to do well against us, and we know just how dangerous he can be on his day.  Magennis is also a player to watch  in a team that goes forward.
  It is also our first meeting with our old manager Grant McCann who left us let's say not on the best of terms so lot's of side issues to the game.
  The one thing about McCanns sides is his attacking style of play, while with us and at Hull he tries to get forward at every opportunity which is to be commended , and tries to play games at a good pace and and in the oppositions half, and I expect an interesting tactical game. Hull made 10 changes to their side that started their last league game at  Stevenage in the cup today and paid the price going out, while we managed to win at Carlisle with a couple of changes to the starting line up although a couple of our walking wounded got a little run out, but shows the difference in the squad size.
  So can we stop their gallop?
  Can we build on last weeks commendable four points and  once again take points in a difficult game against one of the divisions top sides?
  What sort of team do you expect us to put out?
  Can we exploit the tactics McCann seems to prefer and rarely deviates from?
  Their very good win 3-0 at Ipswich last week shows just what they are capable of and the form their first choice team can produce, can we match it?
  Another fixture our fans would have travelled to in large numbers in normal circumstances, will you be tuning in to ifollow which is a poor second best but all we have got?
  A result in this game would be a big statement of our ability to mount a challenge, I think we can do it and can carry on our little run of good results, The main thing is playing well and for a full 90 minutes, we will not get away with a poor half in this game.
   So lot's to discuss about this game, where both sides are strong in midfield and where there will be a battle, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Hull City game
« Reply #1 on November 29, 2020, 10:39:01 pm by DearneValleyRover »
When was the last time we played midweek on a Wednesday? I know it hasn’t happened often.
It will be interesting to see the lineup with both Madger and JJ back.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 29, 2020, 10:47:51 pm by drfchound »
Madger made a good return to the team today.
He will be in contention for a place in the starting line up.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 29, 2020, 11:22:26 pm by PDX_Rover »
We will win.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 29, 2020, 11:24:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
For me, it was noticeable today that after Sims and Richards went off, we were much less assured. Hopefully, they’ll both start on Wednesday and be ok, fitness wise. In defence, I am seriously hoping Cameron John is back in as I think we missed him at the back, today. We need his pace to go up against Wilks!

So, that’s the side nearly picked for Wednesday, as Whiteman, Smith, Richards, Sims and (possibly) James in that midfield 5. It’s up top where there is a definite problem and it’s really whether the manager thinks JJ can come in and do a job, as Fej was way off the pace today.

No doubt about it, this is our biggest test of the season and we will have to be switched on for the full match, not just part of it. It would have been nice if Taylor was back in the reckoning, as we’ve missed his work rate down the right side.

They’ve got a fully rested first team, so will be fired up for the 3 points and rubber stamp their authority on the division. However, nothing would give me more pleasure than bringing 3 points back to the KMS on Wednesday. A very tough game in prospect - will we turn up?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 30, 2020, 12:18:40 am by steve@dcfd »
First Hull won’t be bothered about marking Ben they be concentrating on themselves. So same midfield three that started today. John to come in at left back if fit pace strength. If Taylor can’t start then Sims and James out wide. I would start JJ if ready. Hope Taylor is fit for the bench. Will be a hard game. They will have a fresh team and will want to win. We will have to be on our game for 90 mins if we are to. Get anything from this game.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 30, 2020, 05:29:24 am by godlike1 »
I wouldn't be surprised to see DM do something that takes us by surprise for this game and find it works.

He has a habit of throwing in a surprise to tactically throw of the opposition.

We will need to be at our best and strongest to weather what will be an initial attempted onslaught from Hull. If we can ease our way into the game I could see a 1-0 win our way.

Realistically I think they will score so I'm edging my bets at a 1-1 final score

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 30, 2020, 09:31:42 am by Alan Southstand »
We don’t get clean sheets, Godlike!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 30, 2020, 10:52:59 am by donnievic »
If wilks plays I would deffo double up on him with James and make sure the keep him on his right foot,I also think they won’t let whiteman have the play played out to him from the back much and will try to put a striker tight on him,think personally this will be where we get abit of a whipping unless we can hit them on the break when they attack and hopefully we take our chances

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 30, 2020, 02:37:23 pm by Campsall rover »
There is only one way to play this one. Go out and play with no fear. Let them do the worrying about us. Play to our strengths which is get on the the front foot and attack at every opportunity.
Hull are a good side obviously as they would not be top if they were not, but unbeatable they are not. They have lost same no of games as we have.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:21:14 pm by Campsall rover »

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 30, 2020, 10:35:09 pm by rich1471 »
we need to defend deep and counter attract with pace and width , any team that attacks hull will get exposed and lose McCann for what people think of him sets his team up to attack with pace and from defending deep

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 01, 2020, 04:15:10 am by PDX_Rover »
Personally I think we should play our pressing game. Chase them down from the front. We do that very well. I’d go 4-2-2-2

Lumley
Halliday  Wright  Anderson James
Gomes Whiteman
Sims Smith
Richards Fej

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 01, 2020, 08:03:54 am by donny dave »
The sooner we get Taylor back the better.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 01, 2020, 10:31:26 am by Alan Southstand »
Cameron John will come back into the reckoning, as he has the pace to match Wilks. Unless Wilks is injured, of course.

I’d rather Smith not be rested for this one and he’d be alongside Whiteman for this one, with James on the left of the 3. JJ will come in I reckon with Fej on the bench as back-up (he’s deserved his rest). Gomes will keep him company, but will be ready to replace any of the midfield 5.

Fingers crossed for a good result.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 01, 2020, 11:00:31 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Ever the pessimist - I can't see us getting anything from this, unfortunately. They can't stop scoring, especially Wilks.

Would love to get one over on that snake like! COYR!!!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 01, 2020, 11:18:13 am by selby »
  The big battle will be in midfield where both sides are strong. They shade it as an attacking force, but in the games they haven't done so well in have been caught out badly at the back.
  Their brilliant away goal record is way up on their goal tally at home, which suggests they like teams to come onto them and exploit the room behind the defence.
  Wilks as we know if he is switched on is very very dangerous, but can get petulant and be ineffective if denied possession.
  Stopping their out ball will be the key and puts the onus on our front players putting a shift in defensively, and taking what I expect to be few chances in the game.
  It is a big game for both sides with us having a lot hanging on it to keep in touch at the top, play well and we have every chance of nicking something. 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 01, 2020, 11:32:33 am by Chris Black come back »
They have an immense home record this season. In all competitions, played 8, won 6, lost 2. They have kept 6 clean sheets in those 8 games and only conceded a total of 4 goals in those 8 games. The two defeats were both by a single goal, one of which was by a 90min penalty.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 01, 2020, 03:09:15 pm by Metalmicky »
McCann will change the team about again for Saturday - the team they had out against Stevenage contained many reserves and 2nd string players.  I'm not expecting much, but if we can get our noses in front we may snatch something.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 01, 2020, 03:10:42 pm by DearneValleyRover »
McCann will change the team about again for Saturday - the team they had out against Stevenage contained many reserves and 2nd string players.  I'm not expecting much, but if we can get our noses in front we may snatch something.
What about Wednesday?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 01, 2020, 03:50:46 pm by sha66y »
I feel that Hulls consistency is far superior to ours and they will be 3 up by half time with a couple to follow after the break ....we may or may not steal a couple but I fear that this is a game were Hull will hold the mirror up......and let us see what a lot of teams see...... except us....

Then again we could win 2-0

Not looking forward to this one at all...

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 01, 2020, 05:53:33 pm by BigKeif »
Think this may be our strongest squad of the season so far with the returning injuries. This is who I think may be in the team tomorrow anyway;

Lumley

Halliday
Wright
Anderson
John

Whiteman
Smith

Sims
Richards
James

JJ

Subs;
Jones
Butler
Gomes
Lokilo
Copps
Taylor
Fej

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 02, 2020, 09:44:49 am by IDM »
Don’t forget it’s a 7pm kick off...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 02, 2020, 12:02:06 pm by selby »
  Our undefeated run of six games in cups and league games has sneaked up on me, I blame old age and the dreaded fixture break for the internationals.
 So we are putting a nice run together that would really get a boost if we get something from this game which will be a hard task.
  While the games are being televised at the time they get my full attention, but between games I miss the general chat and planning of travel to and from the games, the banter at the matches, the faces of people I have no idea who they are, but have known for years as supporters who sit or used to stand at Belle View near me and am beginning to wonder if we will ever get back to what used to be the normal.
  Keeping this little run going and getting something from the game tonight will be a big boost to peoples moral in the club and could put down a marker where the club are headed this season.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:08:17 pm by selby »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 02, 2020, 03:02:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We've not really been in a position to use the 5 sub rule to our advantage yet. Tonight could be a game where the starting XI give it absolutely everything from the off in the knowledge they can be replaced if they burn out.

Looking at DMs face in his pre-match interview he had a big smirk suggesting he knows something we don't and is confident in his own mind the way he wants to approach this game.

He'll know what makes Hull tick, and I suspect all his eggs won't be in Wilks basket! They have other good players.

Without fans it's not the same but there's enough previous and connections with this one to give the players an edge.

So looking forward to this and I'm quite prepared for the loss if Hull are good enough to earn it.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 02, 2020, 03:12:51 pm by ravenrover »
Quite a few of our own players aren't too shabby!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 02, 2020, 03:50:57 pm by IDM »
True:.

Just paid my tenner and looking forward to watching..

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 02, 2020, 04:30:26 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I feel that Hulls consistency is far superior to ours and they will be 3 up by half time with a couple to follow after the break ....we may or may not steal a couple but I fear that this is a game were Hull will hold the mirror up......and let us see what a lot of teams see...... except us....

Then again we could win 2-0

Not looking forward to this one at all...

Appears there's a tad too much THC whirling around the old system there fella.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 02, 2020, 06:16:01 pm by NickDRFC »
We've not really been in a position to use the 5 sub rule to our advantage yet. Tonight could be a game where the starting XI give it absolutely everything from the off in the knowledge they can be replaced if they burn out.

Looking at DMs face in his pre-match interview he had a big smirk suggesting he knows something we don't and is confident in his own mind the way he wants to approach this game.

He'll know what makes Hull tick, and I suspect all his eggs won't be in Wilks basket! They have other good players.

Without fans it's not the same but there's enough previous and connections with this one to give the players an edge.

So looking forward to this and I'm quite prepared for the loss if Hull are good enough to earn it.

Seems that what Moore knew that we didn’t is that Gomes isn’t fit after his comeback at the weekend.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 02, 2020, 07:44:06 pm by Retdon1 »
God we’ve been dreadful

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 02, 2020, 07:53:33 pm by Donnywolf »
How many times do contentious Free kicks turn into goals for the opposition

Looked minimal contact on Wilks

No problem 33 to 1 Hull HT Rovers FT... Just got to get them to swap shirts as it doesn't look likely

TinyPortal © 2005-2012