Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:58:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 61194 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #900 on July 06, 2021, 03:54:56 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Well those on here that predicted the demise on here of the British motor manufacturing industry seem to have been wide of the mark.
 Vauxhall look to be about to announce a new production line of building electric vans at their Ellesmere Port facility with a predicted over a thousand jobs created.

Not sure where you get that from, the reports I’ve read are saying they are safeguarding 1000 jobs. In other words those 1000 jobs are already there, there are no NEW jobs

Not forgetting the bribe paid for by taxpayer's money just to do that.

Isn’t that just the same as a Government providing ‘State Funding Support’ to a business?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #901 on July 06, 2021, 04:03:25 pm by Metalmicky »
Without trying to join an argument, as I understand it the plans will safeguard jobs that were in doubt had the plant closed.  Vauxhall had already decided not to build the new Astra there - so the workers jobs (along with many hundreds in the supply chain) were already in jeopardy - and the future of Ellesmere Port has long been seen as vulnerable - this at least gives some security... 

That must be a good thing IMO - even if part of the investment is government subsidised - government support also happens in France, Spain, Germany etc etc.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #902 on July 06, 2021, 04:10:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The same company have accepted a bribe as you call it of £1.1 billion from the French and German governments to build a battery production factory in their country's Glyn despite stopping the British government subsidising British Steel companies, something about being illegal at the time if I remember rightly.
 What a club to be in buddy, the poor old southern states are begging for us Brits to visit while the big boys up North  skim off them with interest rates.

Couldn't the government have lowered business rates for british steel to help them out at all selby?

No business rates are set by the council's typically.  Good luck funding the council in Scunthorpe without steelworks rates.  Equally the government funded steel to a massive extent despite what some politicians claimed.

Just a shame a number of EU rules prevented it at the right times.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #903 on July 06, 2021, 04:33:25 pm by drfchound »
Without trying to join an argument, as I understand it the plans will safeguard jobs that were in doubt had the plant closed.  Vauxhall had already decided not to build the new Astra there - so the workers jobs (along with many hundreds in the supply chain) were already in jeopardy - and the future of Ellesmere Port has long been seen as vulnerable - this at least gives some security... 

That must be a good thing IMO - even if part of the investment is government subsidised - government support also happens in France, Spain, Germany etc etc.

MM, I don’t think it is right that you feel you are entering into an argument.
You are simply adding your information to the debate.
I know what you mean though because your point of view doesn’t necessarily fit with the general narrative of the thread.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #904 on July 06, 2021, 05:11:09 pm by Donnywolf »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #905 on July 06, 2021, 10:57:08 pm by SydneyRover »
The same company have accepted a bribe as you call it of £1.1 billion from the French and German governments to build a battery production factory in their country's Glyn despite stopping the British government subsidising British Steel companies, something about being illegal at the time if I remember rightly.
 What a club to be in buddy, the poor old southern states are begging for us Brits to visit while the big boys up North  skim off them with interest rates.

looks like the political world has totally inverted it itself now, a rabid tory wants to exit from the world's wealthiest single market and then calls for the state to support  private company, fmd.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #906 on July 06, 2021, 11:08:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

looks like the political world has totally inverted it itself now, a rabid tory wants to exit from the world's wealthiest single market and then calls for the state to support  private company, fmd.

You're forgetting, this Tory government absolutely love to pump taxpayer's money into private companies. As long as they're the ones owned by them and their mates.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #907 on July 06, 2021, 11:14:16 pm by SydneyRover »
That's libel Glyn, you'll get banned from the forum

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #908 on July 06, 2021, 11:24:32 pm by drfchound »

Says the man who says others make snide remarks.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #909 on July 06, 2021, 11:26:53 pm by SydneyRover »

Says the man who says others make snide remarks.

would you like to explain what is snide about it manchild?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #910 on July 07, 2021, 07:05:50 am by Muttley »

Couldn't the government have lowered business rates for british steel to help them out at all selby?

No business rates are set by the council's typically.  Good luck funding the council in Scunthorpe without steelworks rates.  Equally the government funded steel to a massive extent despite what some politicians claimed.

Just a shame a number of EU rules prevented it at the right times.

Business rates are set by the government but collected by the local councils.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #911 on July 07, 2021, 03:30:16 pm by hoolahoop »
What benefits,  seems like a useless thread to me ?

It was all a tissue of lies I'm just surprised for some that the pennies haven't dropped yet !

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #912 on July 30, 2021, 12:05:53 am by SydneyRover »
''Foreign investors now own 66% of UK-listed shares, up from 64% in 2019, according to analysis of the London market that shows a steep decline in domestic holdings by British shareholders''

Not sure if this is a benefit or even brexit related, selby you're the local man about town, what does it all mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/07/foreign-investors-own-66-of-uk-listed-shares-analysis-shows

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #913 on August 03, 2021, 03:53:53 pm by normal rules »

You're forgetting, this Tory government absolutely love to pump taxpayer's money into private companies. As long as they're the ones owned by them and their mates.

all govts are the same. Where there is power and money, there is corruption.  Tonies Cronies anyone?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #914 on August 03, 2021, 05:07:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Yes, every government throws billions of taxpayers money at their mate's companies without going through the proper tendering procedures, get nothing back for the money they've thrown away because the recipients of the money were never able to fulfil the contract in the first place (and everybody knew it) and then every government decides it's not worth holding any sort of public enquiry about why it happened and that whoever is responsible, it's not them. Happens all the time, nothing to see here.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #915 on August 03, 2021, 05:29:56 pm by drfchound »
Yes, every government throws billions of taxpayers money at their mate's companies without going through the proper tendering procedures, get nothing back for the money they've thrown away because the recipients of the money were never able to fulfil the contract in the first place (and everybody knew it) and then every government decides it's not worth holding any sort of public enquiry about why it happened and that whoever is responsible, it's not them. Happens all the time, nothing to see here.

Glyn, we very rarely agree on much apart from maybe on a football thread, but you are bang right with this. Could it be that they are all the same?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #916 on August 03, 2021, 08:42:01 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn, we very rarely agree on much apart from maybe on a football thread, but you are bang right with this. Could it be that they are all the same?

Do you actually know of another government that has done what I've described?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #917 on August 03, 2021, 09:30:22 pm by normal rules »
An estimated 300000 people died in Iraq as a result of Blair’s govt actions. So whilst they may not have allegedly squandered millions in friends companies, how much did this war cost in lives and money?
The biggest war criminal in recent years.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #918 on August 03, 2021, 10:45:06 pm by SydneyRover »

It appears their are many without the intellect or nous to be able to work out the difference.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #919 on August 03, 2021, 10:48:37 pm by drfchound »

It appears their are many without the intellect or nous to be able to work out the difference.

“there are” not “their are”.
Speaking of intellect.

I guess you missed the whooooosh moment then.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #920 on August 03, 2021, 10:51:12 pm by SydneyRover »

Speaking of intellect.

Just pointing out the truth hound, do you fit the description?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #921 on August 03, 2021, 10:54:04 pm by drfchound »

Speaking of intellect.

LoL. No but you evidently do.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #922 on August 03, 2021, 10:56:57 pm by SydneyRover »

Speaking of intellect.

Your reply is nonsensical hound, try to make sense even of you have resumed the roll of forum pedant

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #923 on August 03, 2021, 10:59:08 pm by drfchound »

Speaking of intellect.

Your reply is nonsensical hound, try to make sense even of you have resumed the roll of forum pedant

Nice try Syd but you aren’t going to suck me in to one of your strange argumentative situations.
Find an empty room to argue with yourself, you will enjoy that.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #924 on August 03, 2021, 11:00:45 pm by SydneyRover »
Now dickos has had you surgically removed from his leg you must be feeling a bit lonely, aye?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #925 on August 03, 2021, 11:05:52 pm by selby »
  The room won't

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #926 on August 03, 2021, 11:08:16 pm by SydneyRover »
  The room won't

The forum would be a dull place without you selby

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #927 on August 04, 2021, 10:30:30 am by Herbert Anchovy »
This is an interesting and thought provoking article explaining how recent wage increases in industries that were heavily reliant (and often exploited) on EU Labour, provides us with proof that free movement of workers contributed to keeping salaries artificially low.

This was a claim that was, and continues to be, aggressively denied by EU supporters. However, the evidence seems to show the contrary. See what you think…,

https://unherd.com/2021/08/leavers-were-right-about-immigration/

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #928 on August 04, 2021, 10:40:12 am by SydneyRover »
Not sure who would have said that HA, it's fairly obvious, to me at any rate that more labor freely available would not help wages, it may help employment but that's not the issue. Not sure what it would be based on either.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #929 on August 05, 2021, 08:25:27 am by selby »
 Good that we are not fully committed to the same vaccines as the EU who are now going to have to pay massive price rises to the Pharma companies. Well done EU you have just fallen for being gazumped, Astra Zeneca must be laughing their socks off after the way the EU dished them.
 Fixed price at little to nothing profit margin, no we are having none of that, and now they pay the price.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012