Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:12:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster, unions and the development of the labour party  (Read 1047 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Origins and the Independent Labour Party (1860–1900)

Keir Hardie, one of the Labour Party's founders and its first leader (caption attached to photo)

In 1899, a Doncaster member of the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants, Thomas R. Steels, proposed in his union branch that the Trade Union Congress call a special conference to bring together all left-wing organisations and form them into a single body that would sponsor Parliamentary candidates. The motion was passed at all stages by the TUC, and the proposed conference was held at the Congregational Memorial Hall on Farringdon Street, London on 26 and 27 February 1900. The meeting was attended by a broad spectrum of working-class and left-wing organisations—trades unions represented about one-third of the membership of the TUC delegates.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Doncaster, unions and the development of the labour party
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2021, 02:16:48 pm by selby »
  I bet the poor bugger is turning over in his grave thinking what the hell did I do.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2021, 03:30:50 pm by tommy toes »
  I bet the poor bugger is turning over in his grave thinking what the hell did I do.

Despicable comment, but then you're a WUM so..,

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2021, 03:47:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
TT, is it THAT much more of a despicable comment than those made on this forum on a regular basis or do you find it more despicable because it's about someone from the Labour party?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 13, 2021, 04:58:16 pm by tommy toes »
It's despicable because it belittles someone who fought for the working classes to have a better life.
Shouldn't need explaining.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2021, 05:19:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Do you honestly think the labour party of recent times, after losing many of its working-class voters, is in a position to make Keir Hardie proud?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2021, 05:31:54 pm by tommy toes »
Today's Labour Party is not the issue is it?
People like Mr Steels were living in the 19th century, when, you may know, things were very different for the vast majority of the population, and people like him fought for the changes that the self satisfied types like you and Selby take for granted.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 13, 2021, 06:55:49 pm by selby »
  TT, I don't take anything for granted and in a working life from16 to 69 yrs old was a member of a trade union and always abided by the decisions that those unions made that effected the companies I worked for unlike the majority of the employed workforce today who don't join unions.
  The responses on here I do take for granted however and have a laugh.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:00:39 pm by selby »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 13, 2021, 07:00:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Today's Labour Party is not the issue is it?
People like Mr Steels were living in the 19th century, when, you may know, things were very different for the vast majority of the population, and people like him fought for the changes that the self satisfied types like you and Selby take for granted.

Me, self-satisfied? That's a despicable comment. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012