Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:59:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Game of the Season  (Read 3983 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Game of the Season
« on January 26, 2021, 11:03:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Coming up on Saturday. Two best sides in the division.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/ppm

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Game of the Season
« Reply #1 on January 26, 2021, 11:27:11 pm by drfchound »
The games that all players worth their salt love to play in.
It would have been a sell out too I reckon.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 26, 2021, 11:35:09 pm by Campsall rover »
The games that all players worth their salt love to play in.
It would have been a sell out too I reckon.
Yes we would have taken our full allocation. We also have not played them in the league since 2003/04 at Sincil Bank as last seasons away game in April never got played.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 26, 2021, 11:36:27 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Wasn't there myself but is anyone feeling a Mansfield away 03/04 vibe about Saturday?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 26, 2021, 11:41:16 pm by idler »
I was thinking exactly the same earlier.  We'll know on Saturday at tea time.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 27, 2021, 07:55:55 am by RobTheRover »
Wasn't there myself but is anyone feeling a Mansfield away 03/04 vibe about Saturday?

It might be a little early in the season for that, but yes

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 27, 2021, 08:44:00 am by Butchers Red »

Yes but bet it won't be as bloody cold !!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 27, 2021, 09:09:12 am by DearneValleyRover »

Yes but bet it won't be as bloody cold !!

Leave all your doors and windows open that might recreate it for you

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 27, 2021, 09:13:10 am by jmt23 »
We just have to do what we did earlier in the season, we dominated, hassled and out ran them - we wanted that win. It was one of the best performances I have seen for a few years. I think we won it in midfield that night, so without Ben this time may be bit harder, hopefully John Bostock can come in and help.

Lincoln looked a very good side though, and their confidence will be even higher - I'm going for a win though 2-1 :rtid:

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 27, 2021, 09:31:02 am by Spud »
We just have to do what we did earlier in the season, we dominated, hassled and out ran them - we wanted that win. It was one of the best performances I have seen for a few years. I think we won it in midfield that night, so without Ben this time may be bit harder, hopefully John Bostock can come in and help.

Lincoln looked a very good side though, and their confidence will be even higher - I'm going for a win though 2-1 :rtid:

The sort of game AJ could do well in, from what we've seen so far. Not sure if JB's ready yet but with Jamo & a great performance by Matt Smith in the holding role last night, we're getting some options in the middle.
Looking forward to this one.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 27, 2021, 11:39:09 am by POD »

The 1-0 defeat to us earlier this season is their only loss away from home in the league so far.  Their home form is not nearly as good as that with 4 defeats, so it might be a case of them being a good side to play on their home patch.   I watched their home game with Peterborough earlier this month which ended 1-1 and Posh were unlucky not to make it 5 home defeats for Lincoln. 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 27, 2021, 11:41:55 am by Chris Black come back »
Bostock hasn’t played since 28 June and hasn’t trained since October, other than a few recent sessions with us. It is going to take several weeks for him to get back up to 90 mins full intensity.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 27, 2021, 11:47:10 am by Butchers Red »
Bostock hasn’t played since 28 June and hasn’t trained since October, other than a few recent sessions with us. It is going to take several weeks for him to get back up to 90 mins full intensity.

Watching youtube clips of him it looks like he could rock up after a night out on the piss and be streets ahead of League 1 standards-BUT makes you wonder why with that undoubted talent he's not yet made his mark anywhere - hopefully this is where the DM factor could provide whatever it is that's been missing between the lads ears

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 27, 2021, 12:09:13 pm by POD »

Watching youtube clips of him it looks like he could rock up after a night out on the piss and be streets ahead of League 1 standards-BUT makes you wonder why with that undoubted talent he's not yet made his mark anywhere - hopefully this is where the DM factor could provide whatever it is that's been missing between the lads ears

Most players look good on You Tube as you will only see their best bits.   Many a player has been signed by clubs based on their ‘on line’ highlights which could easily have been put together by their agent. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 27, 2021, 12:18:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think the fact that he was Player of the Season in Ligue 2 a couple or three years ago is an indicator of the talent the lad has. That says to me that, 3 years ago, he was head and shoulders above anyone we have had recently.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 27, 2021, 12:29:05 pm by RoversAlias »
I definitely think people are getting hung up on the fact Bostock's played for a lot of teams. The last few years have, maybe save for last season at Forest, been decently stable for him it's just that he's tended to move at the end of most seasons. Had some very good returns in Belgium and France - Ligue 2 is no slouch of a level - and he doesn't seem to have had any major injuries either.

To me, I don't see an issue with him in terms of that. He's been working hard to maintain fitness - has a YouTube channel launching today documenting that - and will just need to get up to match fitness and learn the ways of the team's style and play.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 27, 2021, 12:32:19 pm by normal rules »
The away allocation, if we were allowed at SB is tosh. It would have been ST holders only I reckon.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 27, 2021, 12:43:49 pm by Filo »
Sincil Bank not a place I like much after getting t**tted by a coin on the head in the early 80’s, and the train getting bricked at a level crossing while the train was stood

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 27, 2021, 02:01:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, too early to be a Mansfield moment.

If you're looking for a game that could be the one. Against a promotion rival and one that makes you realise this steam roller ain't stopping, then look at any of the following:—

20 Feb Hull City (H)
23 Feb Blackpool (A)
27 Feb Ipswich (A)
2 Mar. Portsmouth (H)

By the dates above we will have come through a difficult set of fixtures and hopefully, we'll still be on track. The sequence after should be relatively easier however, the 'Mansfield moment' brings together a set of circumstances that make you realise it's our year. (The only thing missing of course will be the packed house)

I know many would love that to be home v Hull but I think it's more likely to be Portsmouth at home if anything.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 27, 2021, 03:03:42 pm by Drover »
Last night I was looking at our next 10 fixtures,l was a little taken aback,nobody below,Plymouth,Fleetwood + Blackpool who are the lowest in 13th 14th + 15th

Sat 30 Jan   A   Lincoln City   League One   3pm       
Sat 6 Feb   H   Oxford United   League One   3pm       
Tue 9 Feb   A   Fleetwood Town   League One   7pm       
Sat 13 Feb   A   Sunderland   League One   3pm       
Tue 16 Feb   H   Accrington Stanley   League One   7pm       
Sat 20 Feb   H   Hull City   League One   3pm       
Tue 23 Feb   A   Blackpool   League One   7.45pm       
Sat 27 Feb   A   Ipswich Town   League One   3pm       
Tue 2 Mar   H   Portsmouth   League One   7pm       
Sat 6 Mar   H   Plymouth Argyle   League One   3pm       

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 27, 2021, 03:16:07 pm by ravenrover »

If you're looking for a game that could be the one. Against a promotion rival and one that makes you realise this steam roller ain't stopping, then look at any of the following:—

20 Feb Hull City (H)
23 Feb Blackpool (A)
27 Feb Ipswich (A)
2 Mar. Portsmouth (H)

By the dates above we will have come through a difficult set of fixtures and hopefully, we'll still be on track. The sequence after should be relatively easier however, the 'Mansfield moment' brings together a set of circumstances that make you realise it's our year. (The only thing missing of course will be the packed house)

I know many would love that to be home v Hull but I think it's more likely to be Portsmouth at home if anything.

I very much doubt we will be watching Rovers live this season

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 27, 2021, 04:20:34 pm by since-1969 »
Coming up on Saturday. Two best sides in the division.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/ppm
The game of the season has to one where we can watch our teams play ,not a    halfway game in a long season that still has 23 games to go and in its-self will not prove who will be promoted or Champions or confirm a play off place .. it’s just another game . 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 27, 2021, 05:01:06 pm by drfchound »
We still have 25 games to play, assuming no teams goes out of the league of course.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 27, 2021, 05:11:38 pm by Jimmydee »
Sincil Bank not a place I like much after getting t**tted by a coin on the head in the early 80’s, and the train getting bricked at a level crossing while the train was stood

We were stuck in a pre Hillsborough cage under the barrage of coins, nuts, bolts and pebbles, it was horrible experience. I think we lost 5-0

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 27, 2021, 05:13:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

20 Feb Hull City (H)
23 Feb Blackpool (A)
27 Feb Ipswich (A)
2 Mar. Portsmouth (H)

Didn't say we would be. I said that was a missing ingredient.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 28, 2021, 09:25:17 am by IDM »
It’s the game of the season because it’s the next one..

However looking back at my early days following Rovers, Lincoln were seen as our local rivals as much if not more than Rotherham..

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 28, 2021, 09:34:55 am by graingrover »
He may have moved often but there are no clubs in that list which have a manager who knows and respects him like DM and as Josh Sims says in his recent interview it is not ONLY DM but the whole staff  and the spirit within the squad that pulled him back.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 28, 2021, 11:40:04 am by Al4475 »
Looking forward to this game a lot - nice to see Lincoln going well as well as us for Liam Scully- however this weekend he needs to remember which club got him moving and say to everyone at the imps, "Donny are my team, roll over for 'em." LOL

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:53:22 pm by Al4475 »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 28, 2021, 02:51:40 pm by ravenrover »

20 Feb Hull City (H)
23 Feb Blackpool (A)
27 Feb Ipswich (A)
2 Mar. Portsmouth (H)

Didn't say we would be. I said that was a missing ingredient.
Read your last sentence

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 28, 2021, 03:37:07 pm by Draytonian III »

We were stuck in a pre Hillsborough cage under the barrage of coins, nuts, bolts and pebbles, it was horrible experience. I think we lost 5-0
We lost 5-1 and 5-0 away at Sincil Bank in 1982, I remember that cage and the coins etc been launched at us, trying to watch the match like a boxer protecting himself.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012