Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:06:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Squad for next season  (Read 12153 times)

aidanstu

• Forum Member
Squad for next season
« on March 06, 2021, 03:36:10 am by aidanstu »
In another thread I raised my concern about, the failure of the club to ensure our better players  are on longer contracts, the constant need to rebuild the team and how, as a supporter, it is difficult to be a fan of a team that is constantly being overhauled.

Whilst some contracts may get sorted and there are options of extensions with some, this. As far as I can make out, is the current squad for next season.

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Two of these players aren’t regular starters and the manager is also out of contract in the summer. I get shot down by many for critiquing the board but surely people understand my thinking, even in terms of sellable assets we would be lucky if we could get 1m for those players combined.

This business model really does bother me and as i have said elsewhere, in my view, you can’t build any successful business with such a transient core of key staff and management. If anyone can name any sports team that have used this system and achieved I’d be willing to hear it..

I do understand the financial difficulties the board face but there are other ways of developing g a team that encourage growth without the short termism. Barnsley and Burnley being great examples.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
Re: Squad for next season
« Reply #1 on March 06, 2021, 08:31:02 am by Spud »
Every year.....
Well done on being the first this time.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 06, 2021, 08:35:16 am by dickos1 »
Anderson still has a year left

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 06, 2021, 08:58:33 am by Harrogate Rover »
Fej has a year left. I believe Lokilo has an option for another year too

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 06, 2021, 09:16:01 am by GazLaz »
Boggle!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 06, 2021, 09:19:09 am by eastender »
Louis Jones contracted until 2022

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 06, 2021, 09:30:03 am by tommy toes »
Boggle should play in the Hole.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 06, 2021, 09:43:47 am by since-1969 »
if he can find it !

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 06, 2021, 09:54:28 am by roversdude »
Boggle and Bogle sound like Dickensian solicitors

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 06, 2021, 10:25:03 am by DRNaith »
I find it laughable when people choose to speak for the finances of the club.

Maybe we cannot afford to do anything but continue as we are, in the current period of time. Maybe in the last year, or even now, we've been within a couple of thousand of going under, or maybe we're working on contracts in a careful and sustainable manner.

I have no idea where we are financially, but I am grateful that the club still exists and would still be grateful if the OP was factually correct about the players that will be on our books and the gaps are "just" filled with loans and youth.

Also, worrying won't achieve anything. Deal with the things that you can and come to terms with the things that you can't.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 06, 2021, 10:25:26 am by i_ateallthepies »

Very good, tommy.

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 06, 2021, 11:04:40 am by DonnyEl »
Current contract situation:

1-Ian Lawlor
2-Brad Halliday
3-Reece James
5-Joe Wright
6-Madger Gomes
10-Jason Lokilo**
11-Jon Taylor**
16-Danny Amos
21-Andy Butler**
26-James Coppinger
27-AJ Greaves
28-Branden Horton
30-Ben Blythe
-Charlie Seaman**

4-Tom Anderson
7-Omar Bogle
9-Feijri Okenabirhie
13-Louis Jones
15-John Bostock
18-Ed Williams
24-Cameron John
29-Lirak Hasani

**dictates club have option of another year (I believe)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 06, 2021, 11:43:38 am by RobTheRover »
Makes the mind Bogle doesn't it.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 06, 2021, 12:12:33 pm by tommy toes »
if he can find it !
It's worth looking for.
One of the many glories of the Yorkshire coast.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 06, 2021, 12:22:28 pm by Filo »
if he can find it !
It's worth looking for.
One of the many glories of the Yorkshire coast.

If I remember correctly from my School youth hosteling days, it’s near Robin Hoods Bay isn’t it?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 06, 2021, 01:19:13 pm by RoversAlias »
It is Filo, in fact I was there just last year on a lovely summer day. Didn't see Omar though.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 06, 2021, 01:36:10 pm by Batleyred »
I find it laughable when people choose to speak for the finances of the club.

Maybe we cannot afford to do anything but continue as we are, in the current period of time. Maybe in the last year, or even now, we've been within a couple of thousand of going under, or maybe we're working on contracts in a careful and sustainable manner.

I have no idea where we are financially, but I am grateful that the club still exists and would still be grateful if the OP was factually correct about the players that will be on our books and the gaps are "just" filled with loans and youth.

Also, worrying won't achieve anything. Deal with the things that you can and come to terms with the things that you can't.

This   :that:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 06, 2021, 02:21:56 pm by Campsall rover »
So 8 have another year and I would be very hopeful that Halliday, Wright, James, Gomes, Taylor, Lokilo, Greaves, Amos,  and Seaman accept new contract offers.

That gives us a base of 17 players. Then we will get probably 4/5 loanees in. If any one does not sign we will get replacements.

Please tell me what is the problem.
Players out of contract will be offered new deals imminently.
SM has told us that.
Well those that the club wish to keep. I would expect probably all on that list would be wanted next season.

Why do we have people moaning season after season. I just do not get what the problem is.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:27:15 pm by Campsall rover »

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 06, 2021, 02:59:25 pm by aidanstu »

1-Ian Lawlor
2-Brad Halliday
3-Reece James
5-Joe Wright
6-Madger Gomes
10-Jason Lokilo**
11-Jon Taylor**
16-Danny Amos
21-Andy Butler**
26-James Coppinger
27-AJ Greaves
28-Branden Horton
30-Ben Blythe
-Charlie Seaman**

4-Tom Anderson
7-Omar Bogle
9-Feijri Okenabirhie
13-Louis Jones
15-John Bostock
18-Ed Williams
24-Cameron John
29-Lirak Hasani

Can I ask where you are getting that information from; there is other info out there that doesn’t reflect it at all.

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 06, 2021, 03:43:14 pm by DonnyEl »

1-Ian Lawlor
2-Brad Halliday
3-Reece James
5-Joe Wright
6-Madger Gomes
10-Jason Lokilo**
11-Jon Taylor**
16-Danny Amos
21-Andy Butler**
26-James Coppinger
27-AJ Greaves
28-Branden Horton
30-Ben Blythe
-Charlie Seaman**

4-Tom Anderson
7-Omar Bogle
9-Feijri Okenabirhie
13-Louis Jones
15-John Bostock
18-Ed Williams
24-Cameron John
29-Lirak Hasani

Can I ask where you are getting that information from; there is other info out there that doesn’t reflect it at all.

Kept notes when players signed initially and updated when they signed new contracts and info was made public

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 06, 2021, 04:20:59 pm by aidanstu »

1-Ian Lawlor
2-Brad Halliday
3-Reece James
5-Joe Wright
6-Madger Gomes
10-Jason Lokilo**
11-Jon Taylor**
16-Danny Amos
21-Andy Butler**
26-James Coppinger
27-AJ Greaves
28-Branden Horton
30-Ben Blythe
-Charlie Seaman**

4-Tom Anderson
7-Omar Bogle
9-Feijri Okenabirhie
13-Louis Jones
15-John Bostock
18-Ed Williams
24-Cameron John
29-Lirak Hasani

Kept notes when players signed initially and updated when they signed new contracts and info was made public

Thanks the list needs updating though https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/andy-butler-keen-to-resolve-future-of-out-of-contract-doncaster-rovers-players-3154480

A number including fej and Jones are out of contract as I said.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 06, 2021, 05:08:54 pm by silent majority »
In another thread I raised my concern about, the failure of the club to ensure our better players  are on longer contracts, the constant need to rebuild the team and how, as a supporter, it is difficult to be a fan of a team that is constantly being overhauled.

Whilst some contracts may get sorted and there are options of extensions with some, this. As far as I can make out, is the current squad for next season.

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Two of these players aren’t regular starters and the manager is also out of contract in the summer. I get shot down by many for critiquing the board but surely people understand my thinking, even in terms of sellable assets we would be lucky if we could get 1m for those players combined.

This business model really does bother me and as i have said elsewhere, in my view, you can’t build any successful business with such a transient core of key staff and management. If anyone can name any sports team that have used this system and achieved I’d be willing to hear it..

I do understand the financial difficulties the board face but there are other ways of developing g a team that encourage growth without the short termism. Barnsley and Burnley being great examples.

You'll have to explain this one to me.

Would you rather we had more players signed on longer contracts but finished mid-table every season? The current policy is hardly causing us major on-field issues, but to suggest you can't be a fan because of personnel changes isn't something I can identify with.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 06, 2021, 05:19:21 pm by drfchound »

He would coast through games there.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 06, 2021, 05:27:11 pm by scawsby steve »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

In that case, why don't you do us all a favour and go and support Barnsley.

You'll not be missed on this forum with your constant whining.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 06, 2021, 05:36:05 pm by aidanstu »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

You'll have to explain this one to me.

Would you rather we had more players signed on longer contracts but finished mid-table every season? The current policy is hardly causing us major on-field issues, but to suggest you can't be a fan because of personnel changes isn't something I can identify with.

In essence yes, whilst I still support the club financially and want the best for the club we have a difference of opinion as to what’s in the clubs best interests.

I don’t see how having such a limited number of contracted players and the constantly required rebuild can offer the team greater stability either on or off the field.

The system doesn’t encourage the development of home grown players, means the club have next to nothing in terms of assets and has led repeatedly to players who should have been worth significant amounts of money walking away for nothing. How is it in the clubs interests to allow good players’ contracts run down?

From a supporters point of view I appreciated you have a different point of view also but yes I would prefer to watch players I feel invested in; it’s what the fabric and history of clubs is made of. I think We had more contracted players under “the experiment” and as I’ve said elsewhere what we are doing now isn’t too far removed from it.

I can’t help how I feel about it, I’m a life long supporter of the club but really dislike the route the club is going down.

That said I appreciate the money the board put in and everything they do for the community but feel they would be growing the club, and offering a more certain future if they chose a Burnley/ Barnsley type approach.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 06, 2021, 05:37:36 pm by aidanstu »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

It’s not whining it’s genuine concern; just because you don’t have the foresight and are unable to offer a reasoned debate doesn't me I can’t do likewise.

One day, when this goes belly up, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:39:58 pm by aidanstu »

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 06, 2021, 05:42:40 pm by DonnyEl »

1-Ian Lawlor
2-Brad Halliday
3-Reece James
5-Joe Wright
6-Madger Gomes
10-Jason Lokilo**
11-Jon Taylor**
16-Danny Amos
21-Andy Butler**
26-James Coppinger
27-AJ Greaves
28-Branden Horton
30-Ben Blythe
-Charlie Seaman**

4-Tom Anderson
7-Omar Bogle
9-Feijri Okenabirhie
13-Louis Jones
15-John Bostock
18-Ed Williams
24-Cameron John
29-Lirak Hasani

Thanks the list needs updating though https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/andy-butler-keen-to-resolve-future-of-out-of-contract-doncaster-rovers-players-3154480

A number including fej and Jones are out of contract as I said.

Probably just lazy reporting from Yorkshire post but:

Fej
https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/rovers-sign-striker-okenabirhie/

Jones
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/young-trio-sign-new-deals-doncaster-rovers-2915283%3famp

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 06, 2021, 05:50:07 pm by vaya »
The article on DROS says Fej is contracted until the end of next season.

The article on Jones says a two-year deal.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 06, 2021, 05:51:57 pm by aidanstu »
The article on DROS says Fej is contracted until the end of next season.

The article on Jones says a two-year deal.

My apologies.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 06, 2021, 05:53:17 pm by scawsby steve »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

It’s not whining it’s genuine concern; just because you don’t have the foresight and are unable to offer a reasoned debate doesn't me I can’t do likewise.

One day, when this goes belly up, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.

If we finish in the top 6 this season, which is the board's remit, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012