Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:09:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers board and owners get it wrong as well as right  (Read 4687 times)

pib

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers board and owners get it wrong as well as right
« Reply #30 on April 04, 2021, 01:10:08 am by pib »
Agreed Bob. And after we beat Portsmouth and Plymouth, Butler was the best thing since sliced bread according to some giddy threads on here, and we were being told to usher in the “magic hat era”

Maybe the board did make a mistake, and maybe it would be a mistake not to correct it now, but hindsight really is a fantastic thing and I think there was at the time of his appointment a fairly overwhelming verdict on here that AB was a safe pair of hands until the end of the season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 04, 2021, 01:27:35 am by BobG »
Yes. You're dead right right Pib. And what isses me off is all these people telling me they always thought it was a mistake to appoint Butler. Total poppycock. I can't remember a single voice saying that. I'm sure there will be one or two if we search, but not so much as you'd have noticed at the time.

BobG

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 04, 2021, 09:51:08 am by silent majority »
Yet another thread about the board.

Yet another thread that seems to think that managers leaving are the fault of the board. (It's not)

Or players leaving who no longer wanted to play for the club. (It happens)

They chose to appoint from within, the same thing we did the last time it happened. (with exceptional results)

And yet it's this board that is keeping our club afloat during this pandemic.

Isn't hindsight wonderful!

SM I can't credit you enough with your staunch defence of the club and admitted challenging of them yourself of them in your meetings you have.

You have mis-read my message though once again.  Look at Charlton in particular with regards the managerial position. Same scenario as rovers yet they appoint a manager with experience of getting out of league one quickly and promptly.

I'm not suggesting we could afford atkins but we could look to who is out there to get the momentum and experience into the team at this stage of the season.

I wasn't referring to you in particular godlike, it was just general reflection on all the posts that have suddenly sprung up about the competence of the board.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 04, 2021, 09:53:22 am by silent majority »
Hindsight is the best tool in the box. Even you must admit they have got this one wrong Martin.

I don't doubt that Andy, but how were they to know?

It worked before, handsomely.
They wasnt to know. But hold your hands up and say we got it wrong and lets get somone in now to look what we have and plan for next season. This year has been very hard and this board have seen us through it. We are lucky to have them but if they dont change things and soon we will get beat almost every week and we will have that losing mentality.

You're looking for a knee jerk reaction though RW, and that isn't going to happen. If its next season that you're worried about then we have time to fix that don't we?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 04, 2021, 01:19:03 pm by drfchound »

Yet another thread that seems to think that managers leaving are the fault of the board. (It's not)

They chose to appoint from within, the same thing we did the last time it happened. (with exceptional results)

SM I can't credit you enough with your staunch defence of the club and admitted challenging of them yourself of them in your meetings you have.

You have mis-read my message though once again.  Look at Charlton in particular with regards the managerial position. Same scenario as rovers yet they appoint a manager with experience of getting out of league one quickly and promptly.

I'm not suggesting we could afford atkins but we could look to who is out there to get the momentum and experience into the team at this stage of the season.

I wasn't referring to you in particular godlike, it was just general reflection on all the posts that have suddenly sprung up about the competence of the board.

Martin, most of those posts have been from a very small number of posters.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 04, 2021, 01:36:59 pm by Janso »

Martin, most of those posts have been from a very small number of posters.

And most of them have been from people who can't wait to stick the boot in and use anything and everything as an excuse to do so.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 04, 2021, 03:08:34 pm by Avsuptem »
Look at it this way:- at least we are unlikely to have our current Manager head hunted.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 04, 2021, 04:11:58 pm by Bessie Red »
How do you know about AB training sessions ? Perhaps your information is coming from a player who’s not in the first squad or some who’s not getting in the match day squad , or perhaps you’re making it up 
How do you know about AB training sessions ? Perhaps your information is coming from a player who’s not in the first squad or some who’s not getting in the match day squad , or perhaps you’re making it up 
I know because I have been told. I will put what I have been told. You dont have to believe what I put but I know what I'm putting is true.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 04, 2021, 04:34:11 pm by silent majority »
I know because I have been told. I will put what I have been told. You dont have to believe what I put but I know what I'm putting is true.

That's codswallop!

The first thing AB did was put a different training structure in place and utilise the senior players to provide the assistance that the younger players needed. From what I understand Cantley Park is back on track.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 04, 2021, 04:48:01 pm by Getridorit »

That's codswallop!

The first thing AB did was put a different training structure in place and utilise the senior players to provide the assistance that the younger players needed. From what I understand Cantley Park is back on track.
Well it certainly doesn't look like it on the pitch.
If putting zero effort in matches, with no coherent tactics is a result of training sessions being back on track, then I despair

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 04, 2021, 05:06:38 pm by Bessie Red »

That's codswallop!

I know what I've been told and that's the last I will say on the matter. I truly hope we turn things round but I dont think AB is capable of doing it!

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 04, 2021, 08:36:32 pm by Jimmydee »
Getriorit.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I feel the need to play devil's advocate in order to bring balance to this forum.
Some real blinkered opinions on here from people who think everything is rosey.
I wonder how they would react if they were on the titanic when it was sinking?

I was on the Titanic, it was in 1997/8 season.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 04, 2021, 08:41:45 pm by Draytonian III »
Why what happened in the 1997/98 season

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 05, 2021, 08:05:03 am by GazLaz »
Hindsight is the best tool in the box. Even you must admit they have got this one wrong Martin.

They wasnt to know. But hold your hands up and say we got it wrong and lets get somone in now to look what we have and plan for next season. This year has been very hard and this board have seen us through it. We are lucky to have them but if they dont change things and soon we will get beat almost every week and we will have that losing mentality.

You're looking for a knee jerk reaction though RW, and that isn't going to happen. If its next season that you're worried about then we have time to fix that don't we?

Was Butler always the succession plan if Moore left? Obviously nobody thought it would be as soon as it was but even if it was in a years time, was it always going to be AB?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 05, 2021, 09:51:33 am by steve@dcfd »
The decision made by the Doncaster chairman and CEO was wrong. This as nothing to do with AB. They had two options try their best to convince DM to stay, which would have been hard. Although DM said the club was building to get in the Championship, so what changed between DM and the chairman.
Then we appointed a rookie manager with the hope he could keep us in the playoffs. Injuries have played in some way to our fall from grace. But AB appears that he doesn’t know how to get us playing again. Give him time people have said but I have no confidence that he will be able to stop the slide. Also that we will be able to retain our best out of contract players with him in charge. Also attracting the right calibre of permanent players which AB wants  to be competitive next season.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 05, 2021, 10:21:58 am by silent majority »

Was Butler always the succession plan if Moore left? Obviously nobody thought it would be as soon as it was but even if it was in a years time, was it always going to be AB?

Always? Not sure about that, wouldn't have thought so. It's more about the timing than anything else.

The club has a process which seems to be very effective, if not too effective in that we attract managers that might be too good. Or is it that the club structure enables decent managers to thrive? Whatever it is the club would go through their normal procedure given the right circumstances.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 05, 2021, 11:13:37 am by dickos1 »
I think the club could still have maintained their normal recruitment procedure while having butler in as interim, he would’ve been a leading candidate but still only been a candidate
Announcing him until the end of the season is the opposite of the due diligence they usually carry out.
We could’ve had an experienced manager in charge now, the cowleys look to have saved pompeys season, that could quite easily have been us

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 05, 2021, 11:20:36 am by silent majority »
I think the club could still have maintained their normal recruitment procedure while having butler in as interim, he would’ve been a leading candidate but still only been a candidate
Announcing him until the end of the season is the opposite of the due diligence they usually carry out.
We could’ve had an experienced manager in charge now, the cowleys look to have saved pompeys season, that could quite easily have been us

I don't disagree with all of that, but what due diligence would they have had to carry out with AB? The club carry out due diligence on all members of staff, playing or otherwise, so AB would have already been covered.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 05, 2021, 12:01:10 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t mean due diligence purely regarding butler, I mean the whole process of appointing a manager.
I would’ve thought the correct due diligence would’ve been to have a look and see what’s available, the cowleys were available and would’ve been a great appointment.
Butler could’ve been in charge for the last month or so as he has been but as it hasn’t worked we could’ve appointed the cowleys, as it is now, it hasn’t worked but we’ve put all our Eggs into butlers basket

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 05, 2021, 12:31:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I don’t mean due diligence purely regarding butler, I mean the whole process of appointing a manager.
I would’ve thought the correct due diligence would’ve been to have a look and see what’s available, the cowleys were available and would’ve been a great appointment.
Butler could’ve been in charge for the last month or so as he has been but as it hasn’t worked we could’ve appointed the cowleys, as it is now, it hasn’t worked but we’ve put all our Eggs into butlers basket

But you're just looking at that in hindsight. At the point in time, we were on a bad run but if a new manager came in they may have looked to bring a new style of play to the team, making many changes which could have derailed our season. What the board possibly thought was we needed to get back to doing what we were doing in December and January, so appoint internally and hope we can get back on track.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 05, 2021, 12:40:27 pm by Not Now Kato »
It isn't the board.  It isn't Butler. It's the players.  They need to get their arses into gear and play the kind of football that we know they can. All this blaming the board and blaming Butler is a waste of time.  So is shouting for a new manager.  AB is our manager till the end of the season, fans should get behind him and so should the players!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 05, 2021, 01:01:00 pm by dickos1 »

But you're just looking at that in hindsight. At the point in time, we were on a bad run but if a new manager came in they may have looked to bring a new style of play to the team, making many changes which could have derailed our season. What the board possibly thought was we needed to get back to doing what we were doing in December and January, so appoint internally and hope we can get back on track.

I’m not looking at it with hindsight, I said on here the day he was appointed that I thought it was naive to appoint him straight away until the end of the season

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 06, 2021, 11:40:34 am by wing commander »

I’m not looking at it with hindsight, I said on here the day he was appointed that I thought it was naive to appoint him straight away until the end of the season

To be fair i cant argue with that as i felt the same however even if we started the process now the amount of due diligence required would see the season out anyway before a replacement is appointed and whose to say that process hasn't already started in the background... I wont have a go at the board as they get a lot more right than they do wrong and this plan was put in place with the best intentions. It's just gone horribly wrong and as the saying goes you cant knock a coconut down every time..

As for the training ground who knows but it's hard to make a case that it is working better at Cantley park when we rock up every week and put a performance on that looks like they've spent the week on the lash on my back patio..Saturday was just simply awful nobody can argue that. Some of them looked like they just couldn't be bothered. A point even Copps has intimated at. And thats not acceptable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012