Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:33:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers board and owners get it wrong as well as right  (Read 4656 times)

godlike1

• Forum Member
Rovers board and owners get it wrong as well as right
« on April 03, 2021, 02:07:40 am by godlike1 »
OK it's fair to say that at this moment we are all feeling a tad p¥£€Ed.

I, for one, want to start by saying that what the board, gavin, directors etc Al have built up at rovers deserves nothing more than to be applauded.

They along with JR at the beginning (with no shadow of doubt) have given me and my dad ( a Newcastle fan first and foremost with rovers a very close second) sone of the most enjoyable football we've had the pleasure to watch over the last 20 or so years.

The pandemic has destroyed life as we know it around the world and maid businesses like rovers even unviable than we were already. For that and all of the above I can never thank them enough.

All of that said......they need to stop being nieve in football and learn from their mistakes. This is nothing against AB who's been left out to dry on the cheap.

Not good enough, if anyone made the same mistakes the rovers owners/board have reg managers and players etc over the last couple of years then they would be sacked about niw

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers board and owners get it wrong as well as right
« Reply #1 on April 03, 2021, 02:55:55 am by PDX_Rover »
Another thread bashing the board. Because that’s what the forum needs.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 03, 2021, 09:56:19 am by swintonrover »
What mistakes have the board made over the last few years? A season under McCann, made the League 1 play offs, he walked for a job in a higher division. Appointed Moore, an ex-player who has won Premier League Manager of the Month, and is generally considered to have been unfairly sacked from 4th in Championship? An appointment that most of us were excited by, he then walked to a job in a higher division. Bought Whiteman cheap and sold for millions? Butler might be a misstep, sure, but the intention was right, and we were badly out of form before he was appointed.

Butler doesn't like the loan policy any more than we do, and if he's kept on, wants to build a squad of his own men, not loanees. Moore liked the loanee policy, and from what I've heard, annoyed the board with his pissing about over transfers.

Our biggest problem at the minute is stability, because we've appointed two blokes who ran off at the first sign of Championship money. I may look foolish down the line, but I reckon Butler wouldn't do that. This is his dream job. He's one of us.

The only fault I have with the board is that they've put their faith in the wrong person. But every single person on this board has done that at some point in their life.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 03, 2021, 10:22:20 am by Chris the Rover »
Good post Swindon. I can’t disagree with any of that.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 03, 2021, 10:23:01 am by Chris the Rover »
Swinton

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 03, 2021, 10:30:08 am by Jonathan »
What mistakes have the board made over the last few years? A season under McCann, made the League 1 play offs, he walked for a job in a higher division. Appointed Moore, an ex-player who has won Premier League Manager of the Month, and is generally considered to have been unfairly sacked from 4th in Championship? An appointment that most of us were excited by, he then walked to a job in a higher division. Bought Whiteman cheap and sold for millions? Butler might be a misstep, sure, but the intention was right, and we were badly out of form before he was appointed.

Butler doesn't like the loan policy any more than we do, and if he's kept on, wants to build a squad of his own men, not loanees. Moore liked the loanee policy, and from what I've heard, annoyed the board with his pissing about over transfers.

Our biggest problem at the minute is stability, because we've appointed two blokes who ran off at the first sign of Championship money. I may look foolish down the line, but I reckon Butler wouldn't do that. This is his dream job. He's one of us.

The only fault I have with the board is that they've put their faith in the wrong person. But every single person on this board has done that at some point in their life.

That’s bang on re: the managerial situation.

Whether a cause or a consequence of the above, I do feel that as a club we need to look at our contracts and transfer business. We’re in this situation every summer where we’re having to cobble together a team. Like you say, there are issues with stability that we could do with managing more effectively.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 03, 2021, 10:32:11 am by silent majority »
Yet another thread about the board.

Yet another thread that seems to think that managers leaving are the fault of the board. (It's not)

Or players leaving who no longer wanted to play for the club. (It happens)

They chose to appoint from within, the same thing we did the last time it happened. (with exceptional results)

And yet it's this board that is keeping our club afloat during this pandemic.

Isn't hindsight wonderful!

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 03, 2021, 11:06:25 am by Red wizard »
Hindsight is the best tool in the box. Even you must admit they have got this one wrong Martin.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 03, 2021, 11:12:55 am by silent majority »
Hindsight is the best tool in the box. Even you must admit they have got this one wrong Martin.

I don't doubt that Andy, but how were they to know?

It worked before, handsomely.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:52:19 am by silent majority »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 03, 2021, 11:22:28 am by Filo »

I don't doubt that Andy, but how where they to know?

Flynn was hardly inexperienced

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 03, 2021, 11:57:56 am by silent majority »

I never mentioned experience, I said they chose to appoint from within. That person would have known the strengths and weaknesses of each player, the playing formations that had worked and was already accepted by the players.

And that acceptance was acknowledged by the players themselves, they were pleased for AB and wanted it to work. The senior players, especially people like JC, had committed themselves to do everything possible to help out.

As I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 03, 2021, 12:11:48 pm by Move DRFC »

I never mentioned experience, I said they chose to appoint from within. That person would have known the strengths and weaknesses of each player, the playing formations that had worked and was already accepted by the players.

And that acceptance was acknowledged by the players themselves, they were pleased for AB and wanted it to work. The senior players, especially people like JC, had committed themselves to do everything possible to help out.

As I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I don’t think there’s many fans who were too disappointed when Butler was appointed, for the reasons you state above.

But we’re living in the here and now, it’s not working, in fact it’s going pretty disastrously with the horrific performances we’re seeing.

Surely the board need to act now? Get the right man in, the season isn’t over yet but sticking with things as they are and it’s clear as day we’re going nowhere. It’ll be really disappointing if the board just allow this season to whittle out.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 03, 2021, 12:37:39 pm by sha66y »
The board are doing a wonderful job of keeping our club afloat with their estimated 2plus million shortfall stopper...

I just wish we had someone at the club that would spend their money better.....propping up a broken thing will never make it a better thing, it appears that the budget aimed at sustainability is working well, it’s just not allowing us to take a bigger step forward

I like having a club to support and a team to watch thanks to our benefactors.... but with that comfort comes the knowledge that we won’t be anything more or aspire to anything beyond what the club can afford...

Not a board slating....just seeing it for what it is.....

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 03, 2021, 12:46:03 pm by the vicar »
The mistake they have made for me is tryi to do it all on there own.  What I think they should have done is bring in a football director, someone that knows the game in side out and to put a bit of money in to the club, but that is not easy to find.  I’m not saying Gavin doesn’t know football but he is more into Rugby union ant like most of us knowledge will be limited.
But I am behind them as without them we have no club and they are doing a great job of keeping us afloat more so the last 12 months
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:49:17 pm by the vicar »

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 03, 2021, 12:52:19 pm by keith79 »
I still think we will make the playoffs. Jules back with sims just what we need.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 03, 2021, 12:57:57 pm by the vicar »
True and the others get a backbone

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 03, 2021, 01:16:44 pm by Getridorit »

Fergie, mcann and Moore left for good reason.
Budget.

Sold marquis and Whiteman for a fraction of their worth, no wonder managers walk.

Sheer incompetence in appointing butler, he was the cheap and easy option, no other reason.

Time for some leadership from Baldwin and blunt.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 03, 2021, 01:38:12 pm by drfc1951 »

Budget.

Sold marquis and Whiteman for a fraction of their worth, no wonder managers walk.

Sheer incompetence in appointing butler, he was the cheap and easy option, no other reason.

Wish forum admin would GETRIDOU

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 03, 2021, 01:55:48 pm by ravenrover »

Budget.

My goodness the inside information you have about the club is amazing
Let us all in on the secrets, don't keep them to yourself
How much did JM and BW go for?
When did you have this conversation with not 1 but all 3 previous managers?
All you need do is to give us a few facts to support your post

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 03, 2021, 01:59:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Unfortunately we have been a victim of our own success to a degree as eluded to previously. The board have made generally good appointments and we have seen McCann and Moore be head hunted by other bigger clubs who can offer much more than we can.

So, for example, if we wind the clock forward, Richie Wellens is appointed, whether he's appointed with a rolling contract, 3 year or 5 year contract, he gets to work and we once again become play off/promotion contenders and once again being seen as doing well with modest resources.

Then the vultures start hovering looking at our best players and the manager. Maybe clubs like Birmingham, Forest, Leeds, Sheff Utd, or a Blackburn come sniffing and make an approach.

What do we think Mr Wellens would do?

Of course, we crave for more stability but I'd really like to know how we as a club can avoid that scenario yet again.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 03, 2021, 02:23:55 pm by Getridorit »

Budget.

It was pretty well documented at the time of said managers leaving.
Not to mention Paul dickovs comments too.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I feel the need to play devil's advocate in order to bring balance to this forum.
Some real blinkered opinions on here from people who think everything is rosey.
I wonder how they would react if they were on the titanic when it was sinking?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 03, 2021, 02:37:10 pm by ravenrover »

Budget.

It was pretty well documented at the time of said managers leaving.
Not to mention Paul dickovs comments too.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I feel the need to play devil's advocate in order to bring balance to this forum.
Some real blinkered opinions on here from people who think everything is rosey.
I wonder how they would react if they were on the titanic when it was sinking?
Sorry but where was it documented? I wouldn't put too much store by what PD said.
What about the millions we didn't get for JM or BW?

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 03, 2021, 03:46:56 pm by eadiee73 »
As we’re playing you on Monday thought I’d have a look here before the match. As a Gashead this thread is an interesting read, one I’d imagine that League 1 and 2 clubs are having all over the country as we get to the business end of the season.
FWIW, we are having much the same debate at the moment with our owner and board getting criticised over almost everything this season. Yet by the same token he’s wiped off the debt, converted it all into share issue and built us a spanking new training facility, all whilst Covid is going on. Little income coming in yet major expenditure going out. Yet he still gets criticised because of the league position, understandably.
We’ve had Paul Scally of Gillingham criticising us as a club publicly,  three managers and are staring at League 2 next season. We got recruitment wrong in the summer and have a team that can’t score. 2nd lowest in League 1, having only scored two goals all season after the 70th minute so clubs know if they go ahead there’s little chance we’ll come back, we’re clearly not fit enough to play JBs high press kind of game. Our defenders gift goals like it’s Christmas yet for long periods yesterday we outplayed Ipswich but were already 2-0 down after 10 minutes. Too little too late. We’ve given away so many goals in the last 5 minutes. We’ve lost 5 on the trot but had decent goals disallowed against Swindon. We reckon our club is being penalised because referees don’t like Barton. Perfectly possible I suppose given that half of us don’t like him.
We’re testimony to the fact that boards make errors but tbh no managerial appointment comes with a guarantee. Boards, like us fans make a leap of faith when appointing managers, and probably signing players as well, some they get right, some they get wrong. I’d say, as an outsider, your board has got more right than wrong and sits in the credit column when compared to many other League 1 and 2 clubs.
Regarding loan signings, Tisdale didn’t like loans and went publicly on that saying why try and develop other clubs players. Whilst I kind of agree once he failed to get any loan strikers in January after failing to sign any permanent strikers it was almost an admission that we would be relegated given the fact that we had only two, possibly strikers. As JB is now finding out.
In the end I guess I’d say that like anything else in football the views you have about players, managers and boards and owners is largely determined by your position in the league. Our owner gets away with it at the moment simply because without him we’d have been the first league team to go under in the pandemic despite what Paul Scally said.
Anyway we’re hoping that with you dropping away we may get the win to reignite our season on Monday before the 6-pointer against Northampton on Saturday. Fingers crossed and good luck after Monday.
UTG!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 03, 2021, 05:16:32 pm by Bessie Red »

From what I have heard AB's training sessions are gash and he hasn't got a clue with tactics. Also the senior players dont have confidence in him. I believe he should stay until the end of the season but we need an experienced Manager to come in over the summer & my choice would be Coleman or Duff from Cheltenham if we could get either of them.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 03, 2021, 05:27:49 pm by Draytonian III »
How do you know about AB training sessions ? Perhaps your information is coming from a player who’s not in the first squad or some who’s not getting in the match day squad , or perhaps you’re making it up 

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 03, 2021, 07:07:28 pm by godlike1 »
Yet another thread about the board.

Yet another thread that seems to think that managers leaving are the fault of the board. (It's not)

Or players leaving who no longer wanted to play for the club. (It happens)

They chose to appoint from within, the same thing we did the last time it happened. (with exceptional results)

And yet it's this board that is keeping our club afloat during this pandemic.

Isn't hindsight wonderful!

SM I can't credit you enough with your staunch defence of the club and admitted challenging of them yourself of them in your meetings you have.

You have mis-read my message though once again.  Look at Charlton in particular with regards the managerial position. Same scenario as rovers yet they appoint a manager with experience of getting out of league one quickly and promptly.

I'm not suggesting we could afford atkins but we could look to who is out there to get the momentum and experience into the team at this stage of the season.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
I think the important thing is not what they have done, which I think the majority thought was sensible but a gamble. But it's a gamble that hasn't paid off.

Looking forwards a key thing now is how they react to that. We may well have lost the season already, that happens.  But then how will they react towards next year? It may be that they have plans for the summer, we won't know until that point.

But I don't think it's fair to knee jerk criticise them they've done a good job. We'd all like someone with more spending to be in charge including probably the board themselves. Until that happens we shouldn't judge the existing board against that, we should judge them on what they are doing, which is a pretty good job.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 03, 2021, 10:05:23 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
As we’re playing you on Monday thought I’d have a look here before the match. As a Gashead this thread is an interesting read, one I’d imagine that League 1 and 2 clubs are having all over the country as we get to the business end of the season.
FWIW, we are having much the same debate at the moment with our owner and board getting criticised over almost everything this season. Yet by the same token he’s wiped off the debt, converted it all into share issue and built us a spanking new training facility, all whilst Covid is going on. Little income coming in yet major expenditure going out. Yet he still gets criticised because of the league position, understandably.
We’ve had Paul Scally of Gillingham criticising us as a club publicly,  three managers and are staring at League 2 next season. We got recruitment wrong in the summer and have a team that can’t score. 2nd lowest in League 1, having only scored two goals all season after the 70th minute so clubs know if they go ahead there’s little chance we’ll come back, we’re clearly not fit enough to play JBs high press kind of game. Our defenders gift goals like it’s Christmas yet for long periods yesterday we outplayed Ipswich but were already 2-0 down after 10 minutes. Too little too late. We’ve given away so many goals in the last 5 minutes. We’ve lost 5 on the trot but had decent goals disallowed against Swindon. We reckon our club is being penalised because referees don’t like Barton. Perfectly possible I suppose given that half of us don’t like him.
We’re testimony to the fact that boards make errors but tbh no managerial appointment comes with a guarantee. Boards, like us fans make a leap of faith when appointing managers, and probably signing players as well, some they get right, some they get wrong. I’d say, as an outsider, your board has got more right than wrong and sits in the credit column when compared to many other League 1 and 2 clubs.
Regarding loan signings, Tisdale didn’t like loans and went publicly on that saying why try and develop other clubs players. Whilst I kind of agree once he failed to get any loan strikers in January after failing to sign any permanent strikers it was almost an admission that we would be relegated given the fact that we had only two, possibly strikers. As JB is now finding out.
In the end I guess I’d say that like anything else in football the views you have about players, managers and boards and owners is largely determined by your position in the league. Our owner gets away with it at the moment simply because without him we’d have been the first league team to go under in the pandemic despite what Paul Scally said.
Anyway we’re hoping that with you dropping away we may get the win to reignite our season on Monday before the 6-pointer against Northampton on Saturday. Fingers crossed and good luck after Monday.
UTG!

Very good post, Eadiee. Thanks for taking the time!

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 03, 2021, 10:34:56 pm by Red wizard »

I don't doubt that Andy, but how were they to know?

They wasnt to know. But hold your hands up and say we got it wrong and lets get somone in now to look what we have and plan for next season. This year has been very hard and this board have seen us through it. We are lucky to have them but if they dont change things and soon we will get beat almost every week and we will have that losing mentality.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 04, 2021, 12:09:17 am by BobG »
Godlike - if I did a search for your name and posts around the time the appointment of Andy Butler was announced, what views would I find?

I don't mean to pick on you personally Godlike. My apologies for using you as an example. Maybe, in truth, I would find nothing if I did look. But there are a huge number of posts at the moment, on a huge number of threads, all saying the Board made a mistake when it appointed Butler. Yet 95% of those self same people were applauding that self same appointment only a few weeks ago.  The lack of consistency, of memory, of reflection, is nothing short of staggering.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012