Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:39:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Shrewsbury Town game  (Read 3399 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Shrewsbury Town game
« on April 14, 2021, 09:43:24 am by selby »
  Even the most optimistic supporters of which I count myself as one are having to admit that this season has now become a disaster when it comes to the advancement of the team we put out  on the field of play.
  The club has a lot going for it in other directions compared with the state of sustainability of many of our fellow football league clubs. On the field we are rapidly descending into something of a joke side, last night resembling an U10s side the minute Burton scored their first goal, as we visibly lost all confidence and hope of getting back into a game that gradually Burton became stronger and more confident in, while we got worse as the game went on and things didn't go quite right after a decent start and first half.
  We completely lack the character, strength of mind, and determination that other sides have to get over any set back that comes their way, lack of ability I can accept, lack of character and fight I have seen more of in much less tallented sides we have had in the past.
  So where do we go from here on Saturday at Shrewsbury? a team that always battle and cause us problems.
  Is anyone at all looking at the fixture with any hope at all?
  What sort of side will we put out with selections limited both in numbers and ability?
  I am past arguing about the manager, I just feel that whoever, and it has fallen on Butler, would have had the same problems, a bunch of players, some who have no feeling for the club and are going through the motions, some not all, what would you do in the situation?
  Every team know our mental and physical problems, lack of pace, and slow build up, and worse our lack of ability positional and in the tackle to win the ball back after conceding it.
   How would you counter act that?
   Lots to talk about, lots of things are going wrong, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobbymax

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Shrewsbury Town game
« Reply #1 on April 14, 2021, 10:08:00 am by bobbymax »
Well Greaves has to start in the middle as the kid is the only one who isn't afraid to put his foot in. James will be back somewhere if fit. Coppinger and Richards get a half each. Pack the alleged defence and hope for a miracle.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 14, 2021, 10:29:00 am by normal rules »
Butler to get his boots on and team back up with Tom. Clean sheet right there.
Lead from the front. ( or back in this case)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 14, 2021, 10:42:19 am by DonnyOsmond »
Well Greaves has to start in the middle as the kid is the only one who isn't afraid to put his foot in. James will be back somewhere if fit. Coppinger and Richards get a half each. Pack the alleged defence and hope for a miracle.

Depends if Hallidays available. Either way Greaves is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 14, 2021, 10:44:39 am by Bailey Vickerage »
If it was my choice butler would be playing but we all know he won’t, greaves needs to be playing in the middle cos he’s the only midfielder we have who will do the dirty work. Think Jones should also come back in as Balcombe made a couple of mistakes last night and now the season has gone we might aswell give him as much game time as we can and he’s not really put a foot wrong so far.

Jones

Halliday Wright Anderson James

Smith Greaves Copps

Lokilo Fej Sims

He might decide to play Horton at LB and have James in midfield after Copps played 90 mins or even Bostock in the midfield. I think John-Jules will also be on the bench probably for Robertson because Robertson has been poor in the last few games and now TJJ is back in training he will probably come back in the squad.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2021, 07:28:43 pm by scawsby steve »
There's nothing to play for now but pride, and unfortunately most of this lot don't have any.

If I were Butler, I'd just want to keep the score down in every game to the end of the season to avoid embarrassment. On that basis, I'd just park the bus and frustrate the opponents. There's no point any more in playing pretty football to entertain the fans; the fans are done with this team.

If we try to play football against Posh and Blackpool, I dread to think what the scoreline will be.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2021, 09:03:05 pm by drfchound »
There's nothing to play for now but pride, and unfortunately most of this lot don't have any.

If I were Butler, I'd just want to keep the score down in every game to the end of the season to avoid embarrassment. On that basis, I'd just park the bus and frustrate the opponents. There's no point any more in playing pretty football to entertain the fans; the fans are done with this team.

If we try to play football against Posh and Blackpool, I dread to think what the scoreline will be.

If we carry on as we are doing I foresee Peterbro hitting us for six in one of our games against them.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 14, 2021, 09:11:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
Can we draft at short notice some local non-contract options in to the defence? Maybe Brian Blessed and Mayor Ros Jones to stiffen up an exceptionally weak back line.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:21:48 pm by Chris Black come back »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2021, 09:20:08 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

If we carry on as we are doing I foresee Peterbro hitting us for six in one of our games against them.

We play Posh twice don't we? Dread to think what the aggregate score will be. Double figures really wouldn't be surprising. Hurts more because DF is horrid

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2021, 09:24:04 pm by normal rules »

A bit more than pride to play for. The club get a reward the higher up the lge they finish, I think.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2021, 09:30:45 pm by NickDRFC »

A bit more than pride to play for. The club get a reward the higher up the lge they finish, I think.

There were also bonuses on offer for making the play offs but that didn’t help to incentivise, if the players couldn’t motivate themselves to get results when there was a chance to line their own pockets I can’t see how getting the club a few extra quid is going to be high on their list of priorities.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2021, 09:31:12 pm by grayx »

Has anybody told them?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2021, 09:35:27 pm by normal rules »

There were also bonuses on offer for making the play offs but that didn’t help to incentivise, if the players couldn’t motivate themselves to get results when there was a chance to line their own pockets I can’t see how getting the club a few extra quid is going to be high on their list of priorities.

Wow, I had no idea there were bonuses on offer for making the playoffs.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2021, 09:46:29 pm by Janso »

Things like that are pretty standard.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2021, 09:49:37 pm by graingrover »
Why Butler does not play is a mystery to me ..remember Rob Jones as assistant manager showing the way by example in our promotion year .

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2021, 09:52:33 pm by PDX_Rover »

Knowing Rovers we will probably best Peterborough easily both games.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 15, 2021, 08:27:35 am by drfchound »

Things like that are pretty standard.

I think NR might have been making a sarcastic comment there mate.

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 15, 2021, 09:41:37 am by niteowler »
I read somewhere that Our ex player Curtis Main had joined the Shrews from Aberdeen . Is this correct or am i dreaming ?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 15, 2021, 10:16:37 am by Chris Black come back »
Main joined them in the January window. He has 2 in 16 for them this season. One of them was a penalty though.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 15, 2021, 11:34:31 am by vaya »
I'm hoping Shrewsbury won't have noticed the amended kick off time and don't turn up until 3:00pm.

This gives us 90 minutes plus stoppages to hopefully nick a goal and salvage a point.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:37:21 am by vaya »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 15, 2021, 11:46:48 am by selby »
 Vaya, brilliant.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 16, 2021, 12:00:50 pm by roversdude »
Do you think we’d manage a clean sheet though Vaya

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 16, 2021, 12:46:41 pm by vaya »

It's a big ask, admittedly.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 16, 2021, 01:05:41 pm by Not Now Kato »

Nah, we'd probably put the ball into our own net pratting about at the back whilst waiting for the midfield to find some space to move into!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 17, 2021, 09:45:31 am by DonnyOsmond »
I'd look to get the younger lads some game time now if we've got nothing else to play for. We might aswell see a bit of development for them for next season rather than lining the pockets of players that can't be arsed with appearance bonuses and goal bonuses. Maybe bring Ravenhill into the squad, if he actually wants to sign a contract here.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 17, 2021, 10:03:50 am by sha66y »
As nobodies talking about the game I’d like to say that this will be a tough game ( no shit Sherlock) were we will have to be fully committed ( no shit Sherlock) and score more goals than them ( no shit Sherlock) ....

However I feel Shrewsbury could do with every bit of assistance to get their goal average up, and we currently are the team hat just keeps on giving....

4-0 to the not so mighty shrews....or 0-2 to the rovers...lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:26:35 pm by sha66y »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 17, 2021, 12:52:15 pm by normal rules »
Well well, one shot one goal.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 17, 2021, 02:25:23 pm by since-1969 »
Yeeeess !!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 17, 2021, 02:44:30 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well. That was so much more like it. Great team performance. Butts was excellent. Fej was excellent. And Richards put in a proper shift.

My only concerns - Bostock is obviously a very good player. But he’s a bit sloppy at times with hos short passes and also can get caught in possession at times. You’d think he’d have the measure of the pace of the game now, but perhaps not just yet.

Joe Wright at right back. Not his natural position of course but a few times today he got pulled inside leaving acres of space in behind. But, if Halliday is not arsed, Joe it is.

Balcombe’s distribution. Needs some kicking lessons.

Keep this up and who knows....

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:53:16 pm by PDX_Rover »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 17, 2021, 03:08:35 pm by Colin C No.3 »
As nobodies talking about the game I’d like to say that this will be a tough game ( no shit Sherlock) were we will have to be fully committed ( no shit Sherlock) and score more goals than them ( no shit Sherlock) ....

However I feel Shrewsbury could do with every bit of assistance to get their goal average up, and we currently are the team hat just keeps on giving....

4-0 to the not so mighty shrews....or 0-2 to the rovers...lol

It must have been the lol that did it.

Anyway, thought you'd ridden off into the sunset for good...palpatations & all that. A leak on the 'Large Jacuzzi Spa' perhaps? Or don't 'The Sweet' & 'Alvin Stardust' vinyl's quite do it for you anymore?

Well, we welcome back all prodigals....even those who having spat their dummies out & declared  'This season is enough!' had actually only nipped out to feed the tropical fish after all. And I expect you watched todays game, resplendent in your 1972 Rovers attire, RTID. Feels good doesn't it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012