Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:02:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Championship  (Read 17688 times)

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
Re: Championship
« Reply #60 on May 05, 2021, 11:37:18 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Donny exile in York, when we signed what we thought were quality players like Bogle and Bostock, there was plenty of comments and praise on here to say that it did look like we were ‘having a go’.
So I don’t think that the board were letting us down, it was some of the new players that were disappointing.

Yep Jimmy dee i will give you that and hindsight is a wonderful thing.. I do think the club backed Moore in January however to me its Moores departure and way he left after rumours for over a month of an approach and the initial bad run of form that indicates Moore jumped ship to a basket case in Wednesday for Championship football as it was a gamble worth taking as despite our lofty advances the writing was on the wall for our promotion chances. Contrary to what people on here might think, I love our club like the rest, and the frustration of this season hurts us all.. but our Board have to show their metal and go for it big time and I say that within a remit of sensible risk taking as Rotherham have and Peterborough and if sensible there is nothing to fear about going up having a go and if not fortunate as long as within a sensible financial model coming back down and trying again.. we didn't financially crash after relegation in 2014 as Rotherham haven't since so we should have confidence im that and really show an intent.. Agreed Bogle and Bostock were brought in but at the expense of or from the expense of losing our captain and prized asset.. so not additional investment.. and I accept Covid and this season is unprecedented with no fans but its as if its welcome arms excuse to the risk adverse... other clubs have gone for it still.. Peterborough outlay on Clarke Harris after selling Toney.. we were after Clarke Harris apparently a few years back..  just shows what investment can do.. he's at least doubled his value now... whist we sought in the bargain basement for Kwame Thomas.. and agreed Bostock and Bogle have both either slowed our game down or affected our style of play detrimentally and I did think both have pedigree to support us in the second half of the season.. so hindsight is a wonderful thing and I accept that.. looking back now both have been journeymen for a good reason over the years.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on May 06, 2021, 12:10:43 pm by silent majority »
Donny Exile in York, and others, maybe take note of what Copps has to say?

The support of Gavin Baldwin for me has been paramount in me staying at the club for the last few years. David [Blunt, chairman] and Terry [Bramall, owner] have been unbelievable for me. They’re unbelievable people.

“They might not get the recognition they deserve but they run the club in the right way.

“They have the club’s interests at heart which stands for a lot for me these days.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 06, 2021, 12:24:22 pm by Donny Exile in York »

The support of Gavin Baldwin for me has been paramount in me staying at the club for the last few years. David [Blunt, chairman] and Terry [Bramall, owner] have been unbelievable for me. They’re unbelievable people.

“They might not get the recognition they deserve but they run the club in the right way.

“They have the club’s interests at heart which stands for a lot for me these days.
Yeah saw that earlier. Not going to challenge Copps and let's hope we make the right managerial appointment and summer signings to inspire some belief but as said the proof is in a promotion itself not rhetoric. Some inspiring summer signings and excellent decision making in the final managerial choice will go a good way towards it.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 06, 2021, 12:24:59 pm by the vicar »
Even if that’s what they believe behind closed doors I’m pretty certain he’s not daft enough to share these thoughts with suppprters
I don’t tell lies mate and as you should know when I say something I hold no punches and say as it is so get that out of your head and YES IT WAS SAID TO 6/7 people

Dave, with all due respect, that has never been the position of the current board. I've spoken to the club about financing and ambition probably more than any supporter and I've yet to hear anything of the sort from any board member.

If the ambition was to play at LG2 level why didn't we just stay there during the 2016/17 season? Why did we overspend in an attempt to bounce right back to LG1 at the first attempt?

That doesn’t suit the narrative of the naysayers Martin
I appreciate that Martin.  but, it was a long long time ago, but it was said mate I can assure you but I will let it go as without them we have nothing.  And I think even you know I’m a decent man and don’t tell lies as there is no need for it and if you can’t tell the truth say nothing.

I recall this been raised on here and 100% believe the original comment. I just wonder if the comments weren't made after we last won promotion to the championship and sustainable is LEAGUE ONE. Look.at the evidence Ferguson leaves cos he wants 'to manage in the Championship again' back at Posh the Chairman backs this up with investment, McCann leaves for a sinking club in the Championship as does Moore... cos they know we are Not destination champiionship..look at the confident rhetoric backed up by signings of John Ryan in league one, McAnthony at Posh, Stewart at Rotherscum, even our present board when relegated to league Two, and its clear their is zero intention or true ambition to get to the Championship.. I recall an interview with Baldwin a few years ago talking about our budget giving us three seasons to flirt with the play offs... thats as far or high as it gets.. its the hope that kills us.. the belief of a genuine promotion.. well back in 2016 or 2017 we had a 5 year plan to get to the Championship, right now thats either a blatant failure or just rhetoric.. or both.. personally I have lost belief we genuinely want to go up... and been a supporter since the 80s I know we are where historically we would be or higher, we've had alot worse.. but if you don't have hope and belief and ambition then you stagnate or do an Ashley at Newcastle... we have the stadium and my benchmark is Rotherham and if we are not better than them then for me its unacceptable. They are the benchmark.. if we can't compete and match them then we are under par...if they can risk a strategy of trying for the championship and survive financially time and time again a relegation from it, then so should we be able to.

You do realise that if Rotherham get relegated at the weekend and end up in the same league as us you've basically destroyed your own arguement, don't you?
just because someone has a negative opinion does not mean he or her think any less of the clue as that is what life is all about options. If we all didn’t have different options this would be a bloody boarding place and pointless place to be

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on May 06, 2021, 12:50:04 pm by silent majority »

Yeah saw that earlier. Not going to challenge Copps and let's hope we make the right managerial appointment and summer signings to inspire some belief but as said the proof is in a promotion itself not rhetoric. Some inspiring summer signings and excellent decision making in the final managerial choice will go a good way towards it.

The argument of course is that the club staff believe that they have the right people running the club, and that must count for more than what some supporters interpret as the reasons for staff leaving? Not a single person has left this club and stated that the reason they did so was because of the board, not one.

And, to finish on this topic Donny Exile, you do realise that the two promotions we've had to the Championship in recent years have come about whilst this board has been in place? That in itself should negate your argument.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on May 06, 2021, 01:04:03 pm by Pancho Regan »
So presumably the board had a word with Marquis and Rowe and made sure if they scored in normal time, they should miss their penalties?

No suggestion of that other than it looked to me like Rowe took the last penalty with the outside of his foot... 

I didn't have to read any further than this.

Beyond belief.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 06, 2021, 01:08:40 pm by Donny Exile in York »

The argument of course is that the club staff believe that they have the right people running the club, and that must count for more than what some supporters interpret as the reasons for staff leaving? Not a single person has left this club and stated that the reason they did so was because of the board, not one.

And, to finish on this topic Donny Exile, you do realise that the two promotions we've had to the Championship in recent years have come about whilst this board has been in place? That in itself should negate your argument.

Not quite right, led by John Ryan as Chair. Was Blunt on the Board at that point? Not sure when Gavin Baldwin joined as CEO also but certainly after 2007-08. For me Silent Majority the current  board has been in place since John Ryans departure in 2013-14 and to be exact Autumn 2013 prior to the last relegation from the championship. Plus Ferguson was quoted as saying he wanted to manage again in the championship, implying he didn't believe that would happen at Rovers. Roll on a few years and where are we, Ferguson backed by an ambitious board attains promotion, we are where we are.

No one on here can negate the argument or facts, we haven't been promoted to the championship since the five year plan, Blunt's appointment as Chair, John Ryan's departure, three last managers moving on and a short term strategy etc etc. Or whoever said Rotherham will be relegated, maybe so, that's not what I was saying, its the 3 promotions to the championship and taking the financial risk to get promoted which they have done, we have not.

No one loves the club more than me, or what we stand for, both on and off the pitch, we are a good family club, and we do things the right way, have a good style of play (could have strikers score more goals historically) but we want to be successful too and as I say Rotherham should be a benchmark for us, we should be able to compete with them, and as we had a Dingle pipe up, another good example of sensible investment right now, done very well in the last three or four seasons since the new regime came in, bit of luck along the way to stay up last year but you need that too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:34:57 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 06, 2021, 01:10:58 pm by Donny Exile in York »
So presumably the board had a word with Marquis and Rowe and made sure if they scored in normal time, they should miss their penalties?

No suggestion of that other than it looked to me like Rowe took the last penalty with the outside of his foot... 

Beyond belief.

Suggest you read the full comment and follow up.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 06, 2021, 01:35:04 pm by Pancho Regan »

Beyond belief.

I've got better things to do with my time than read any more of your nonsense.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 06, 2021, 01:36:46 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Beyond belief.

Well you just did. Will look out for your own comments sometime Pancho. Can't say I've come across you on here.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 06, 2021, 02:32:17 pm by silent majority »

Not quite right, led by John Ryan as Chair. Was Blunt on the Board at that point? Not sure when Gavin Baldwin joined as CEO also but certainly after 2007-08. For me Silent Majority the current  board has been in place since John Ryans departure in 2013-14 and to be exact Autumn 2013 prior to the last relegation from the championship. Plus Ferguson was quoted as saying he wanted to manage again in the championship, implying he didn't believe that would happen at Rovers. Roll on a few years and where are we, Ferguson backed by an ambitious board attains promotion, we are where we are.

No one on here can negate the argument or facts, we haven't been promoted to the championship since the five year plan, Blunt's appointment as Chair, John Ryan's departure, three last managers moving on and a short term strategy etc etc. Or whoever said Rotherham will be relegated, maybe so, that's not what I was saying, its the 3 promotions to the championship and taking the financial risk to get promoted which they have done, we have not.

No one loves the club more than me, or what we stand for, both on and off the pitch, we are a good family club, and we do things the right way, have a good style of play (could have strikers score more goals historically) but we want to be successful too and as I say Rotherham should be a benchmark for us, we should be able to compete with them, and as we had a Dingle pipe up, another good example of sensible investment right now, done very well in the last three or four seasons since the new regime came in, bit of luck along the way to stay up last year but you need that too.

Oh deary me, a classic example of changing the facts to suit your argument!

For the record, Dick Watson and Terry Bramall joined the board in 2006. David Blunt joined in 2010 and Gavin joined in 2011 becoming CEO in 2012. To suggest that because JR was classed as Chair at that point and therefore the promotions had nothing to do with DW and TB is just malicious. JR chose to step down as Chair in 2013 but had effectively ceased to be Chair a long time before that, if he ever was an active Chair I'd be surprised.

Both promotions to the Championship came about because of TB and DW, they 'invested' the funds necessary to do so, something you now accuse them of not doing. For you now to change that to suggest that none of that matters because they announced a five year plan, which so far hasn't delivered a Championship position is, quite frankly, irrelevant.

It seems that our longest serving player appreciates the qualities that this board bring, its just a pity some of our supporters can't bring themselves to agree.

And you can't imply whatever you want from a manager who was out on his ear because the demands of the job didn't suit him at that point in time. All managers state they want to manage in the Championship, which LG1 manager wouldn't say that? But the leap from there to state it wouldn't happen at DRFC is nonsensical.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 06, 2021, 02:59:17 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Oh deary me, a classic example of changing the facts to suit your argument!

For the record, Dick Watson and Terry Bramall joined the board in 2006. David Blunt joined in 2010 and Gavin joined in 2011 becoming CEO in 2012. To suggest that because JR was classed as Chair at that point and therefore the promotions had nothing to do with DW and TB is just malicious. JR chose to step down as Chair in 2013 but had effectively ceased to be Chair a long time before that, if he ever was an active Chair I'd be surprised.

Both promotions to the Championship came about because of TB and DW, they 'invested' the funds necessary to do so, something you now accuse them of not doing. For you now to change that to suggest that none of that matters because they announced a five year plan, which so far hasn't delivered a Championship position is, quite frankly, irrelevant.

It seems that our longest serving player appreciates the qualities that this board bring, its just a pity some of our supporters can't bring themselves to agree.

And you can't imply whatever you want from a manager who was out on his ear because the demands of the job didn't suit him at that point in time. All managers state they want to manage in the Championship, which LG1 manager wouldn't say that? But the leap from there to state it wouldn't happen at DRFC is nonsensical.

No the fact is I am referring to the Board now or since JR left. That is what I am talking about, and the 5 year plan. When was that established, c.2016? So I am sorry but you are wrong, and trying to argue against my points when trying to move the sands of what I am referring to. The fact is the current existing board has had a 5 year plan in place. Yes TB and DW were part of the greatest ever achievements in my lifetime as a fan. Not taking anything away from that. I m talking about the current Board and OUR current Chair etc in place. And again Silent you are trying to say I have said that TB and DW haven't put significant into the club, that I haven't said, I am talking about as a collective Board in the period since JR left, since relegation from the Championship, since then a relegation, and a promotion from league two but no promotion to the Championship. That cannot be disputed. Arguing now that the 5 year plan is irrelevant is treating us fans as fools. Don't set a 5 year plan, fail to achieve it, and then say any reference to it is irrelevant. That make you look amateurish at best and plain trying to down play a strategic aim and goal which hasn't been met, and we are no closer to meeting right now. I appreciate some of the qualities the Board bring, I would appreciate them a whole lot more with a long term successful strategy, not having sold our two or three most saleable assets in recent years (e.g. Marquis and Whiteman) and having not really substantially replaced them! I would appreciate an actual promotion and matching near local rivals and having real saleable assets in the team (for me perhaps only Anderson at present). I think a silent but growing majority of Rovers fans would appreciate the same Silent Majority! 

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 06, 2021, 03:42:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
Did the five year plan factor in the inevitable fact that two managers would be poached by biggwr clubs?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 06, 2021, 03:43:57 pm by Alan Southstand »
Just to add, as per Goodwin’s report, we’ll be onto our 4th manager in 5.5 seasons! That’s hardly a recipe for continuity and/or progress. And before anyone chips in, yes I know none were sacked, but the very fact that Fergie, McCann and, more recently, Moore all left for pastures new, makes one ask questions about our current set-up.

Squad-wise, we’re in a bit of a pickle also, as the bedrock of the team has gone. DEIY is quite correct, where the playing staff are concerned, we have only Anderson who is ‘saleable’ left. When you think of the squad that DF left us with to what we have now, we’ll, like I’ve already said, the new manager will have to be a miracle worker to get us anywhere near top 6 next season, let alone promoted.

Unless, of course, there is going to be changes to how we have operated over the last few seasons, it’s going to be very, very difficult for any new incumbents. It’s time for actions, rather than words.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 06, 2021, 03:55:11 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Thanks Alan. And it is understood we have just had the most unprecedented shock to society and football for generations, with no crowds in stadiums, so its understood the pressure clubs like ours are facing, but the successful clubs are also facing likewise. But we are hopefully not a 'Bury' in the waiting either and all are thankful for that. I still go our ground and it feels great to be in a modern stadium compared to Belle Vue, so very grateful for our club, stadium etc. But if you tread water for long you go backwards in football, so we need some aggressive ambitious strategy and investment in the playing staff and a strong manager to move forward and compete if we are serious about challenging for promotion. Losing Copps and Saleable assets in the last 2-3 years is a big worry and needs action by as has been pointed out wealthy owners, some of which have tasted unbelievable success with Rovers before, they need to demonstrate asap robust appetite to do so again.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 06, 2021, 04:00:56 pm by silent majority »
Donny Exile,

I think you need to read what I wrote a bit more carefully as you've managed to misinterpret a lot of what I said. For instance, I didn't say the 5 year plan was irrelevant, I said your dismissal of the achievements of the current board prior to the 5 year plan and that we should only judge them on the 5 year plan was irrelevant.   

But all that aside, the strategy is to be in and around the play-off places, something we have been close to achieving. Last season was curtailed early and we could, and possibly should have been in the mix. The season before we definitely were and were just over 90 minutes away from achieving the promotion you wanted. This season, bearing in mind we've been through a global pandemic, was going really well until a rush of blood to the head meant our manager disappeared and pulled the rug from under the rest of our season. That can only be blamed on one person.

Now, in terms of finance, a club like ours, using the money we get from TB, allows us to be in and around the play off spots. What you're suggesting throughout this thread, is that they should throw even more money into the pot so we can really 'go for it' and do what Rotherham or Peterborough have done. You don't need me to tell you that 'going for it' in that fashion could have disastrous consequences. There are far too many examples around of clubs doing precisely that and everything going disastrously wrong. There are no guarantees in this game, none whatsoever. The game is littered with clubs who have learned the hard way.

You stated in the post above that you would appreciate the board more if they adopted 'a long term successful strategy'. I would suggest that's exactly what they are doing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:03:05 pm by silent majority »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 06, 2021, 04:32:30 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Donny Exile,

I think you need to read what I wrote a bit more carefully as you've managed to misinterpret a lot of what I said. For instance, I didn't say the 5 year plan was irrelevant, I said your dismissal of the achievements of the current board prior to the 5 year plan and that we should only judge them on the 5 year plan was irrelevant.   

But all that aside, the strategy is to be in and around the play-off places, something we have been close to achieving. Last season was curtailed early and we could, and possibly should have been in the mix. The season before we definitely were and were just over 90 minutes away from achieving the promotion you wanted. This season, bearing in mind we've been through a global pandemic, was going really well until a rush of blood to the head meant our manager disappeared and pulled the rug from under the rest of our season. That can only be blamed on one person.

Now, in terms of finance, a club like ours, using the money we get from TB, allows us to be in and around the play off spots. What you're suggesting throughout this thread, is that they should throw even more money into the pot so we can really 'go for it' and do what Rotherham or Peterborough have done. You don't need me to tell you that 'going for it' in that fashion could have disastrous consequences. There are far too many examples around of clubs doing precisely that and everything going disastrously wrong. There are no guarantees in this game, none whatsoever. The game is littered with clubs who have learned the hard way.

You stated in the post above that you would appreciate the board more if they adopted 'a long term successful strategy'. I would suggest that's exactly what they are doing.

I think you clearly misinterpreted my view that the current Board, those who stated a 5 year aim to reach the championship are the Board and that past achievements are not dismissed as irrelevant at all, but were part of a differing Board, with JR an inspirational ambitious chairman at the helm and forefront.

I completely get that re taking on uncalculated financial risks, but as I have said in numerous posts in this thread, how does Stewart at Rotherham seem to be able to take the financial risks without being burned with a relegation following a promotion to the Championship and survive but we seem to be more risk averse, much more than our near neighbours and rivals. So much so that they spent £500k on a striker Ladapo in 2019 but we have sold our prized assets and whilst Okenabirhie may have cost an undisclosed fee (i'm guessing here say c.£50k) we have not demonstrated the same level of ambition in the playing assets.

Furthermore, when I refer to a long term successful strategy, I am not talking about losing three talented managers in 4 seasons or a policy involving a high number of loan signings within the first XI and squad as long term successful strategy, rather the opposite. So when I hear the phrase about our manager recruitment and rolling contract policy 'as we must be doing something right, as they keep getting poached to the championship' or words to that affect, I do not see that as a long term successful strategy. Sean O'Driscoll wasn't poached in 2007 after winning the JPT, he built on the success and won promotion to the championship and established us for a few seasons at least as a mid table attractive to watch football team. That strategy appeared longer term from the moment O'Driscoll was recruited and changed our style of play.

I do not suggest we are reckless in going for it, but fans know with the players recruited and in the team / squad whether a team is going for it, and in a strong position, as I say we have some work to do I would anticipate given our run since early February 21.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 06, 2021, 04:38:59 pm by River Don »
Chucking a load of money at it, is shit or bust. It's a big gamble, it might pay off but if it doesn't... And there are no guarantees... Then the club would be living with the consequences for a longtime.

A sustained target of the playoffs makes more sense to me. Things could come together well and see the club promoted. A season finishing in the playoffs is still an exciting season. Miss out on the playoffs and the club can regroup and go again the following season.

From the supporters point of view a sustained period of following one of the more competitive sides in the division isn't a bad prospect at all.

I'd also argue that it's more satisfying watching a club succeed in this manner, than simply buying success.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:48:54 pm by River Don »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on May 06, 2021, 04:48:24 pm by PDX_Rover »
SO’D didn’t want the experiment. He was right.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 06, 2021, 05:11:50 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Chucking a load of money at it, is shit or bust. It's a big gamble, it might pay off but if it doesn't... And there are no guarantees... Then the club would be living with the consequences for a longtime.

A sustained target of the playoffs makes more sense to me. Things could come together well and see the club promoted. A season finishing in the playoffs is still an exciting season. Miss out on the playoffs and the club can regroup and go again the following season.

From the supporters point of view a sustained period of following one of the more competitive sides in the division isn't a bad prospect at all.

I'd also argue that it's more satisfying watching a club succeed in this manner, than simply buying success.

But its like strategic creep, where aiming for the play offs becomes the ultimate aim, not actually getting into the championship, so as I have been arguing the aim now is flirt with the play offs, not get promoted into the championship! Plus its not what the intent was within the 5 year plan. Things can change in life, the pandemic has proved that, but if that's the case lets not kid on that we are aiming for the championship if that is no longer the case. But as I say its a dangerous game and philosophy cos fans like to believe, they want the hope, the belief that this is there year, and by not speculating with investment to some extent, you don't get the rewards. Look at Ben Whiteman, we invested £150k or so in him, then recouped over 10 times that with some great service in between. Some decent astute investment will provide returns back, as I referred earlier with Johnson Clarke Harris. Our Board mindset has to see this and invest to recoup back more and strengthen the team and squad, or our decline in the second half of the season could be the wrong kind of momentum for us next season!

No one is saying take a huge gamble, I don't see Rotherham taking a huge gamble, they may stay up last day, they may come down, but they remain strong and I bet they will be in or around the promotion places next season again. The point being, they get there, have some promotions on the CV, even if they struggle and come back down.. I bet most Rovers fans would settle for that bi-annual glory and promotion party than 6th to 10th in league one, there's no medals for coming 8th, or even 6th if you don't go up! There's some big clubs in league one, I admit that, but if Rotherham can compete then so should we be able to.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:22:05 pm by Donny Exile in York »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 06, 2021, 05:15:01 pm by dickos1 »
I think donny exile makes some fair comments, especially regarding the replacement of senior contracted players.
We’ve lost many contracted experienced players over the last 4 years or so and replaced them with inexperience and certainly not players of the same calibre.
In the end that will only assist in a deterioration of the the quality of squad.
We don’t know though if this is down to the board or indeed the manager.
This summer is a big summer though, if only Taylor re-signs then we need to be recruiting 11/12 players and they need to be of the necessary quality if we’re going to improve next season.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 06, 2021, 05:28:31 pm by redandwhitearmy »

Beyond belief.

What a comment  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :suicide:

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 06, 2021, 05:44:07 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Beyond belief.

You see the problem on here is any challenge of the Board and status quo is met with ridiculous assertions of it being a conspiracy or that there is an insistence the Board throw wild pots of money and put the club at financial jeopardy! NO ONE IS SAYING EITHER!.

What is being said is that it would appear we are in a comfort zone, and the aim is now to aim for the play offs and if we fall short there is always next year, whilsts the squad looks weaker, season ticket sales (all things being equal with the pandemic excluded) reducing etc etc. and actually next season with a spiral in form and momentum may well turn out a fight for league one survival if we do not take action, invest in the playing squad sufficiently.

All the team from the play offs a few year ago would walk into our current team, and those on the bench for those games too!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 06, 2021, 05:51:57 pm by vaya »

Beyond belief.

You see the problem on here is any challenge of the Board and status quo is met with ridiculous assertions of it being a conspiracy or that there is an insistence the Board throw wild pots of money and put the club at financial jeopardy! NO ONE IS SAYING EITHER!.

What is being said is that it would appear we are in a comfort zone, and the aim is now to aim for the play offs and if we fall short there is always next year, whilsts the squad looks weaker, season ticket sales (all things being equal with the pandemic excluded) reducing etc etc. and actually next season with a spiral in form and momentum may well turn out a fight for league one survival if we do not take action, invest in the playing squad sufficiently.

All the team from the play offs a few year ago would walk into our current team, and those on the bench for those games too!

Presumably you'll be countering this decline in season ticket sales by purchasing one yourself?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 06, 2021, 05:57:05 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Beyond belief.

Presumably you'll be countering this decline in season ticket sales by purchasing one yourself?

And you are whom exactly vaya? Do you have a season ticket? As a season ticket for most of the last 36 years I'm afraid the jury's out right now... 80 mile round trips require belief that evening games in particular are going to be worth it in terms of squad investment, manager appointment, sense of strong positive direction from the board of intent to challenge.

Maybe we know each other don't know. But everyone i go to games with used to have season tickets but gradually they have been less and less over the last decade, as I say it's hand in hand with belief in the quality of squad and on the pitch.. and the club want to worry when the likes of myself are wavering..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:06:54 pm by Donny Exile in York »

keith79

• Forum Member

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 06, 2021, 06:03:24 pm by vaya »

Beyond belief.

And you are whom exactly? Do you have a season ticket?

You've expressed concerns about both investment and season ticket sales. Purchasing one would allow you to do something about those concerns. Not sure why the hostility at the suggestion.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on May 06, 2021, 06:07:43 pm by Batleyred »
Think he has a problem with usernames.  :woot:

:rtid: :rtid:

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 06, 2021, 06:10:36 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Beyond belief.

And you are whom exactly? Do you have a season ticket?

You've expressed concerns about both investment and season ticket sales. Purchasing one would allow you to do something about those concerns. Not sure why the hostility at the suggestion.

Are you a season ticket holder vaya? No hostility just interesting how you ask me but didn't answer the reciprocal question.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:14:21 pm by Donny Exile in York »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 06, 2021, 06:18:28 pm by scawsby steve »

Beyond belief.

Well you just did. Will look out for your own comments sometime Pancho. Can't say I've come across you on here.

That last sentence sums up your lack of credibility. Pancho's been posting on here for years. Maybe you'd be better off on Rotherham's forum, the club you seem to love so much.

You're conveniently forgetting lots of factors in your constant board bashing. For starters, our last relegation from the Championship was Dickov's fault, not the board's. They backed him heavily in both windows, especially the January one, but he sh*t the bed for the last 7 games, and that's what sent us down.

You keep mentioning Posh, and all the wonderful investment on players they keep making; it's a pity then that they can never find a way to beat us, even when we're as sh*t as we are now.

Regarding Copps's statement today, do you agree with the things he said, or is he wrong as well as the board? If it's the latter, then I'd suggest you go and support another club, because this board's not leaving anytime soon.

Maybe Rotherham, Peterborough, or even York City.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012