Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:25:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Curry base sauce  (Read 1304 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Curry base sauce
« on May 05, 2021, 02:04:42 am by SydneyRover »
I will be making a curry base sauce for freezing, possibly on the weekend, anyone have any favourites? there are plenty on the internet of course but I'm always interested if anyone has an old favourite.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Curry base sauce
« Reply #1 on May 05, 2021, 07:47:34 am by mushRTID »
I got this book for Christmas, the curries are stunning.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curry-Guy-Bible-curryhouse-favourites/dp/1787134636

I actually made the base sauce on Friday, I’m sure it’s on the internet somewhere but I’m happy to take a photo of the page and send you it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 05, 2021, 08:37:41 am by SydneyRover »

I actually made the base sauce on Friday, I’m sure it’s on the internet somewhere but I’m happy to take a photo of the page and send you it?

Hey thanks v-much Mush for the offer, just found it online and the book is the library which I've put a reserve on, I'll let you know how I go. I've made a couple of curries recently using Spice Taylor (Anjum Anand) premade sauces which are excellent and very quick, had a pepper curry last night, that made me think about making the base myself.

https://www.thespicetailor.com.au/

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 05, 2021, 09:08:33 am by Metalmicky »
I will be making a curry base sauce for freezing, possibly on the weekend, anyone have any favourites? there are plenty on the internet of course but I'm always interested if anyone has an old favourite.

I make a curry base sauce regularly and freeze then adapt to the heat/spice I want.  Very easy to make and so much healthier than the shop bought or takeaway sauces. I always freeze it 'undiluted' and then add any additional water/stock I need when I defrost it to use.  I would also recommend you freeze in zip bags and freeze flat - then when frozen you can fit them anywhere in your freezer.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 05, 2021, 09:11:46 am by SydneyRover »
The zip bag is a good idea, thanks MM

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 05, 2021, 10:42:14 am by 5minstogo »

Hey thanks v-much Mush for the offer, just found it online and the book is the library which I've put a reserve on, I'll let you know how I go. I've made a couple of curries recently using Spice Taylor (Anjum Anand) premade sauces which are excellent and very quick, had a pepper curry last night, that made me think about making the base myself.

https://www.thespicetailor.com.au/

Yes these are very good for a quick and easy curry. Much tastier and more authentic than a lot of packet sauces.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 05, 2021, 10:36:11 pm by normal rules »
Naga phall is interesting. You can get mr naga ready made paste on Amazon. It gets delivered in a lead lined box

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 06, 2021, 09:05:24 am by SydneyRover »

So Mush, I had a look at it all and decided to make it today, followed the recipe (large batch) except for skimming off the oil. I will be making a jalfrezi using the sauce on the weekend, thanks for the tip.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 06, 2021, 11:48:33 am by mushRTID »
Good luck, funnily enough it was the Jalfezi I made at the weekend too!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 06, 2021, 12:06:28 pm by SydneyRover »
My ex-neighbours are Indian and Yvonne was always bringing around curries when I was a single bloke, whenever we go up to the central coast to see them there is always a smorgasbord of curry and spicy dishes. When I was in India decades ago with a mate we wanted to treat the couple of local guys to dinner in town that had looked after us, before we flew out to spend all the useless cash we couldn't take out, his choice, we went to a chinese.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 06, 2021, 12:14:49 pm by silent majority »

I don't cook that Jalfrezi the way he describes it though, for some reason his timings are way off.

I like lots of chillies as well so I don't just do the finger chillies he mentions. I also add a lot more of the base sauce as well.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 06, 2021, 12:46:55 pm by mushRTID »

I don't cook that Jalfrezi the way he describes it though, for some reason his timings are way off.

I like lots of chillies as well so I don't just do the finger chillies he mentions. I also add a lot more of the base sauce as well.

Iv watched some of his videos and he does encourage mixing things up to suit your own tastes.

Never made a curry before Covid, it’s something Iv really enjoyed getting into.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 06, 2021, 01:28:40 pm by SydneyRover »
No two curries are ever the same!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 06, 2021, 03:26:51 pm by ravenrover »
My ex-neighbours are Indian and Yvonne was always bringing around curries when I was a single bloke, whenever we go up to the central coast to see them there is always a smorgasbord of curry and spicy dishes. When I was in India decades ago with a mate we wanted to treat the couple of local guys to dinner in town that had looked after us, before we flew out to spend all the useless cash we couldn't take out, his choice, we went to a chinese.
We used to have quite high ranking Egineering Indian visitors at work. I was designated to take them out on one ocassion for lunch. Booked one of the best Indian restaurants locally. When we got there the visitors told me they usually eat Chinese food at lunch because Indian is to heavy for the afternoon. Having said that they ordered plenty and scoffed the lot, that was after giving the waiters some grief and speaking very nastily to them. When I asked why their boss man said well they are only Bangla Deshies!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 06, 2021, 05:48:41 pm by silent majority »

Iv watched some of his videos and he does encourage mixing things up to suit your own tastes.

Never made a curry before Covid, it’s something Iv really enjoyed getting into.

Cooking is my therapy, I just love it.

I seriously enjoy reproducing all the great dishes I've come across on my travels. Whether that's Sicilian dishes, Jerky chicken from the Caribbean, Ramen from Japan, or even the Tex Mex that the USA is very good at. But my specialities are always curries!!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 06, 2021, 05:58:11 pm by River Don »
We do Ramen now and again. It's quite a lot of effort for shmantzy noodles but get the broth right and it's a winner.

It's the only recipe I know that uses cooking apples in a sofretto. Put it together with celery, onion, and some ginger I think. Lashings of soy sauce, some Spanish dry sherry instead of saki. Rice wine, Mirin and stock.

The most umami thing ever.

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 07, 2021, 06:18:14 am by bigbadjack »
Al’s kitchen on Facebook really good base curry recipes and all the old favourites

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 07, 2021, 06:38:08 am by bahrain rover »
Do you guys only look to Indian curry's? Living out in SE Asia I really love the curry/spicy food out here. A properly cooked beef rendang takes some beating.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 07, 2021, 07:07:07 am by SydneyRover »
Do you guys only look to Indian curry's? Living out in SE Asia I really love the curry/spicy food out here. A properly cooked beef rendang takes some beating.

Not at all BR, rendang is one of my favourite's too, I've cooked it a few times as well but, if you ever get to Sydney this is the place to get it. When it was in it's previous carnation it was an good place to take clients for lunch as it was near the government offices where most of the engineers worked.

https://kingstreetwharf.com.au/eat-drink/the-malaya/

My partner does most of the cooking and cooks all of the east asian meals which we have quite often. I've cooked laksa too, a long time ago made the paste from scratch, never again it took me a couple of days to scour the shops to get the ingredients, paste from a jar!

Added

This place is more economical and used to be further down the road as a pub restaurant. We used to eat there regularly until it moved.

https://www.menulog.com.au/restaurants-malaysia-small-chilli-restaurant/menu
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:45:18 am by SydneyRover »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 07, 2021, 01:13:33 pm by silent majority »

I love Thai food too and do a couple of excellent curries, including a decent Massaman curry.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 08, 2021, 11:09:47 am by SydneyRover »
We went for the jafrezi tonight and really enjoyed it, the cook up was a three day event, I pre-cooked the chook yesterday. Thanks for everyone's input.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 08, 2021, 12:30:55 pm by rich1471 »
i always make home made nan breads and are much better than shop bought ones , Morrison do so amazing frozen garlic ,ginger and chillies use them all the time

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 08, 2021, 10:48:04 pm by normal rules »
Can I recommend a chap on YouTube called Als Kitchen. Proper curries. Restaurant quality. Deep, layered spicing and flavour.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 21, 2021, 03:43:32 am by SydneyRover »

Going to use the curry base to make a Kerala dish using marinara and coconut cream tonight to warm us up, max 19 and wet today.

Hey BR what about posting up your favourite curry recipe for the DRFC Curry Club to try?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:46:33 am by SydneyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012