Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:52:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Voter ID  (Read 6627 times)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
Re: Voter ID
« Reply #30 on May 11, 2021, 11:00:51 am by Not Now Kato »
  Syd, it is a massive fraud, they either do not exist or live in another country, are yo happy for it and other scams to carry on at the tax payers expense?

Is it as large a fraud, (in financial terms), as the Tories handing out billion pound deals to their mates? Oh and a cabinet member's local landlord?

Get your head out of the Daily Mail, selby!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 11, 2021, 11:16:19 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I may be going barking mad here, but wasn't it the Labour party who were interested in introducing national ID cards for all UK citizens a few years back.....?

Can't personally see the problem with voters (those attending polls wilts...) taking some form of Identification along. I personally carry some ID all the time.

You are not barking MM.
Labour have talked about introducing ID cards since around 2002.
But that’s ok, let’s not enlarge on it.

Absolutely, it was the coalition government that scrapped it.

The minister in charge of the scheme was asked this weekend if he still wanted to be labour party leader.....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 11, 2021, 11:29:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's a nice factoid.

The last successful prosecution for election fraud was against....Vote Leave.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 11, 2021, 11:33:45 am by selby »
  Kato, that's just business, happens with every labour council.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 11, 2021, 11:51:49 am by SydneyRover »

Then it's your duty as a good citizen to report it to your bosses and get it stopped, or send me your proof and I'll do it

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 11, 2021, 12:24:43 pm by Not Now Kato »

selby, if you're justifying the Tory's fraud by saying it's OK because someone else is doing it then, by the same argument, you're justifying the very thing you were criticising in your earlier post!  In fact, you're justifying ALL fraud by ANYONE by your logic!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 11, 2021, 12:28:12 pm by Axholme Lion »
It can't be right that you just roll up at the polling station and say i'm xxx and live at xxx. I've always found this to be a bit of a joke.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 11, 2021, 12:55:32 pm by wilts rover »
It can't be right that you just roll up at the polling station and say i'm xxx and live at xxx. I've always found this to be a bit of a joke.

Its been fine for 150 years - since they abolished hustings when you were either paid for voting the 'right' way or beaten up for voting the wrong way - if its been such a problem before why hasn't it been changed?

I notice that along with voter ID the proposed new legislation will extend voting to 3 million expats - who will all vote by post.

Why is extending the vote to non-British taxpayers abroad not subject to fraud - when British voters voting in the UK is?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 11, 2021, 01:04:04 pm by SydneyRover »
Just make it a single party state and save all the messing around, The Democratic Republic of England has a bit of a ring to it

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 11, 2021, 01:18:38 pm by bpoolrover »
I may be going barking mad here, but wasn't it the Labour party who were interested in introducing national ID cards for all UK citizens a few years back.....?

Can't personally see the problem with voters (those attending polls wilts...) taking some form of Identification along. I personally carry some ID all the time.
https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/identity-cards/

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 11, 2021, 02:53:01 pm by Axholme Lion »

Its been fine for 150 years - since they abolished hustings when you were either paid for voting the 'right' way or beaten up for voting the wrong way - if its been such a problem before why hasn't it been changed?

I notice that along with voter ID the proposed new legislation will extend voting to 3 million expats - who will all vote by post.

Why is extending the vote to non-British taxpayers abroad not subject to fraud - when British voters voting in the UK is?

Maybe there's more people nowadays who would try to fiddle the system? I fail to see what all the fuss is about? Turn up, show id, vote.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 11, 2021, 02:55:42 pm by normal rules »
A national ID card should have been rolled out years ago.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 11, 2021, 02:55:56 pm by drfchound »
If people want to vote they have to register.
I don’t see why it would be an issue if those same people had to register for a right to vote ID card if they didn’t have a driving licence or passport.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 11, 2021, 03:07:15 pm by keith79 »
Bozo must have shares in a ID making company

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 11, 2021, 03:38:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  Syd, it is a massive fraud, they either do not exist or live in another country, are yo happy for it and other scams to carry on at the tax payers expense?

When the cost of implementing and administrating voter ID is deducted from the cost of any benefit fraud, how much will that save the country?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 11, 2021, 04:05:07 pm by selby »
  I don't know Glyn. nobody thought about your wages on the docks on night shift with the customs.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 11, 2021, 04:09:17 pm by Axholme Lion »
Why are the majority of left leaning posters on here so angry about this?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 11, 2021, 04:09:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  I don't know

The one and only correct answer. Tell him what he's won, Bob!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 11, 2021, 04:10:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
nobody thought about your wages on the docks on night shift with the customs.

You've obviously not thought about it. Because it cost nothing.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 11, 2021, 05:39:56 pm by wilts rover »
Why are the majority of left leaning posters on here so angry about this?

Because we want as many people as possible to vote.

I know exactly why the right-wing leaning posters are supportive of barriers to voting, I don't even need to ask the question.

"In a democracy, it is for the voters to decide who governs. It is not for the government to decides who votes".

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/voter-fraud-elections-queens-speech-photo-identification

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 11, 2021, 05:48:11 pm by bpoolrover »
Was it a problem when labour wanted to bring it in thou? You have to have Id to buy beer to prove your 18 should that get scrapped?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 11, 2021, 06:27:02 pm by selby »
  The big problem the left have is in 2023 when the constituency boundaries are changed especially in the London and South East.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 11, 2021, 06:28:01 pm by Janso »
Was it a problem when labour wanted to bring it in thou? You have to have Id to buy beer to prove your 18 should that get scrapped?

To be fair it wasn't a popular move then either.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 11, 2021, 06:33:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There's plenty of evidence that lots of under 18s would break the law and buy alcohol without the requirement for ID. I certainly did.

There's no evidence that voter fraud is a serious problem without IDs.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 11, 2021, 07:21:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The problem I had with the one Blunkett proposed was the ridiculous amount of money you would have had to pay to get one. If they're to be implemented they should be free, like a driving licence is when you change address.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 11, 2021, 07:43:00 pm by drfchound »
I heard on the bbc news today that the intention is to make the ID card free.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 11, 2021, 07:50:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Good. They should make it an ID that covers every other requirement for ID too - benefits and NHS entitlement, proof of ID if stopped by police, etc. - so that everybody has to have and carry one, even those people with driving licences and passports. One document fits all.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 11, 2021, 07:52:18 pm by bpoolrover »

The problem I had with the one Blunkett proposed was the ridiculous amount of money you would have had to pay to get one. If they're to be implemented they should be free, like a driving licence is when you change address.
should defiantly be free, would not be fair any other way

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 11, 2021, 07:54:21 pm by drfchound »

Good. They should make it an ID that covers every other requirement for ID too - benefits and NHS entitlement, proof of ID if stopped by police, etc. - so that everybody has to have and carry one, even those people with driving licences and passports. One document fits all.

Maybe it could also include COVID jab status.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 11, 2021, 08:22:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Maybe it could also include COVID jab status.

I don't see why not. Governments aren't going to get away with adding extra bits to an existing ID card system, get it all done and covering everything in one go and have done with it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012