Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:45:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Eurovision  (Read 1994 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Eurovision
« on May 22, 2021, 11:12:18 pm by belton rover »
It’s good to see that our democratic vote to leave the EU has not made the slightest difference to our chances of winning the competition.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #1 on May 22, 2021, 11:29:49 pm by River Don »
The voting is always very political.

At the moment the UK could have Freddy Mercury reincarnated giving the greatest, campest performance of his entire career and the UK would still get nul points.

Next year we should send Morrissey, doing a song praising Brexit.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 22, 2021, 11:37:47 pm by normal rules »
f**k Eurovision. It’s represents everything that sucks about Europe. Since when did the likes of Albania or Moldova or Azerbaijan contribute an iota of anything to world music.
I hope to see the uk leave Eurovision next year. What’s the point. No one will vote for uk.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 22, 2021, 11:46:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It’s good to see that our democratic vote to leave the EU has not made the slightest difference to our chances of winning the competition.

Sugar daddies get little genuine respect and get absolutely none when they cease to be sugar daddies.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 23, 2021, 12:00:08 am by River Don »
Ha Ha Ha!

Just had the winning song on. Even if the UK wasn't universally detested, we wouldn't have a clue where to start and try and appeal to this audience.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 23, 2021, 12:05:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Yeah but come on. That must have been the worst song in Eurovision history. If not in music history. Sung by somebody who looked like he'd just walked in off the street.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 23, 2021, 12:10:47 am by MachoMadness »
Maybe if we didn't send the same focus grouped X factor lite pap every year we might do better. Just get Sleaford Mods doing it next year.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 23, 2021, 12:11:47 am by River Don »
Yeah but come on. That must have been the worst song in Eurovision history. If not in music history. Sung by somebody who looked like he'd just walked in off the street.

You mean the Brirish effort?

Genuinely they had a bod from BMG records on BBC radio 5 this afternoon, telling us they were taking this whole thing much more seriously now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 23, 2021, 12:14:32 am by BillyStubbsTears »

You mean the Brirish effort?

Genuinely they had a bod from BMG records on BBC radio 5 this afternoon, telling us they were taking this whole thing much more seriously now.

Yep RD, the British one. I won't call it "effort" because...well there didn't seem to be much.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 23, 2021, 12:19:53 am by River Don »
The funny thing is BST, it appears quite a lot of effort went into it.

Really we should give it up. Put it on without the UK, Steve Coogan doing the commentary as Alan Partridge. I'd watch that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 23, 2021, 12:35:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I agree RD. As it is, we are an annual embarrassment to the heritage of The Brotherhood of Man.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 23, 2021, 12:43:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
But then again, Duke, it doesn't take much to show your anti-Britishness when it comes to making your mind up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 23, 2021, 01:03:04 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Very good BB.
Congratulations in fact.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 23, 2021, 01:16:13 am by Bentley Bullet »
Very good BB.
Congratulations in fact.

You've finally hit rock bottom.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 23, 2021, 01:37:01 am by RoversAlias »
It was a tremendous show, one of the best in years I'd say. Italy probably a worthy winner although my vote went to Ukraine.

Most of the top ten were excellent to be honest, including Switzerland and Iceland.

Ours was bottom 5 standard. Dull, by-the-numbers sentimental crap. We have been awful for years at Eurovision and frankly it has very little to do with politics. Some of the juries vote for their mates (12 points to Greece from Cyprus and vice versa every year without fail) but I am quite sure the watching public just do not like our boring songs each year.

Jade Ewen sang a very good song penned by Andrew Lloyd Webber in 2009 and came in 5th place, so it can be done. Not until the people in charge of putting our entry together completely change their approach, however.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 23, 2021, 01:58:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Satdi neet watching Eurovision.

Cliff Richard doing his magisterial best with "Power to all our Friends". But trailing in third behind the all-time classic,  Tu te reconnaitras by Luxembourgish chanteuse Anne-Marie David.

I looked at my Dad. Drinking a glass of Pomagne and nibbling on a bar of Old Jamaica chocolate.

I implored..."Dad! Why don't we put a proper band in Eurovision? Like...Slade?"

He looked at me with a face that expressed disappointment and contempt in SO many ways.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 23, 2021, 07:22:22 am by NickDRFC »
Don’t really have any interest in Eurovision but had a look at the song this morning. Bad song and the guy singing it sounded out of breath from the start. I’m not surprised we got nil points.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 23, 2021, 07:50:24 am by wilts rover »
Love the fact that some people think we should win Eurovision however bad a song we send and however badly sung it is. They sound like Man U fans thinking they should win every the PL every year just because they are Man U.

Welcome to Brexit Britain, pick up your free arrogance here...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 23, 2021, 07:55:24 am by Bentley Bullet »
Love the fact that some people think we should win Eurovision however bad a song we send and however badly sung it is. They sound like Man U fans thinking they should win every the PL every year just because they are Man U.

Welcome to Brexit Britain, pick up your free arrogance here...
Yep, they'll be wanting a re-vote next.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 23, 2021, 08:08:30 am by drfchound »
It was a tremendous show, one of the best in years I'd say. Italy probably a worthy winner although my vote went to Ukraine.

Most of the top ten were excellent to be honest, including Switzerland and Iceland.

Ours was bottom 5 standard. Dull, by-the-numbers sentimental crap. We have been awful for years at Eurovision and frankly it has very little to do with politics. Some of the juries vote for their mates (12 points to Greece from Cyprus and vice versa every year without fail) but I am quite sure the watching public just do not like our boring songs each year.

Jade Ewen sang a very good song penned by Andrew Lloyd Webber in 2009 and came in 5th place, so it can be done. Not until the people in charge of putting our entry together completely change their approach, however.

I watched the show last night for the first time in many years and like RA,  I enjoyed the spectacle.
There were some really good songs and yes, our effort wasn’t very good.
However I said to Mrs hound that I would be surprised if we actually got a vote and that proved to be the case.
I don’t know how much money the UK contribute to the event but whatever it is is too much as we know full well that even if we had a great song we would still get no votes from that lot.

I wondered why Australia had been included and looked it up.
Apparently they were invited as part of the 60th year celebrations, fair enough, but it says they are included until 2023 !!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:45:40 am by drfchound »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 23, 2021, 08:21:42 am by River Don »
It must just be me then.

I didn't watch the competition but if that winning song was the best of the lot then the standard has got to be pretty low. Ignoring the fact the presentation of it was bizarre and it was actually performed quite badly... There was no hook, no melody, you couldn't hope to hum it afterwards. It was very camp, of course. That still seems to be the essence of the competition.

I have long accepted, I have no idea at all about what's going on with Eurosong.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 23, 2021, 09:14:52 am by SydneyRover »
the old guy in a mac, wasn't you bb?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 23, 2021, 09:42:51 am by River Don »
I think if I were in charge of this, I'd get the record company off the job. It's perhaps not really a song contest but a show biz performance. A lowest common denominator radio friendly hit is not what's required.

I'd go to the West End and find some people from theatreland. They'd probably know instinctively what to do, it probably doesn't need a good song at all.

I'd tell them not to expect to win at all because it's not likely just put on a good show.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 23, 2021, 09:52:42 am by SydneyRover »
It has all the qualities of the royal variety show, not that sure it's a compliment to win it.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 23, 2021, 10:08:09 am by River Don »
It has all the qualities of the royal variety show, not that sure it's a compliment to win it.

If you think about it, the most successful Eurovision performance ever, even more than ABBA was Riverdance.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 23, 2021, 11:38:03 am by Filo »

Satdi neet watching Eurovision.

Cliff Richard doing his magisterial best with "Power to all our Friends". But trailing in third behind the all-time classic,  Tu te reconnaitras by Luxembourgish chanteuse Anne-Marie David.

I looked at my Dad. Drinking a glass of Pomagne and nibbling on a bar of Old Jamaica chocolate.

I implored..."Dad! Why don't we put a proper band in Eurovision? Like...Slade?"

He looked at me with a face that expressed disappointment and contempt in SO many ways.

Those were the days my friend

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 23, 2021, 12:17:54 pm by selby »
  They are begging for us to go and visit them though to save their economy they love our money, let them beg.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 23, 2021, 12:22:42 pm by Janso »
You're a very strange, bitter man selby.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 23, 2021, 12:25:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quite bizarre the nationalistic obsessions some people have, such that a gentle celebration of camp nonentities becomes a threat to their own sense of nationhood.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 23, 2021, 12:27:48 pm by SydneyRover »
Around 25 million tourists from the EU to UK 2019 that don't seem to have a problem.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012