Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:22:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 37839 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #570 on June 29, 2021, 08:21:28 pm by RoversAlias »
I was annoyed by Southgate's team selection but in terms of controlling the game and containing the German counter threat, it largely worked. The defence performed very well. He also brought Grealish on at the right time to unlock Germany's defence and he did exactly that. Sterling and Kane got the goals and we won a game for the ages.

Let's hope the confidence from this can carry through to Saturday's Quarter Final.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #571 on June 29, 2021, 08:25:53 pm by Filo »
I was annoyed by Southgate's team selection but in terms of controlling the game and containing the German counter threat, it largely worked. The defence performed very well. He also brought Grealish on at the right time to unlock Germany's defence and he did exactly that. Sterling and Kane got the goals and we won a game for the ages.

Let's hope the confidence from this can carry through to Saturday's Quarter Final.

My thoughts as well, but fair play, it worked, I would still like us to set up more attacking though

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #572 on June 29, 2021, 08:27:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just heard Shearer say England will never have a better chance of getting to a final.

What an utter Kitson. Preemptively belittling the outcome.

He’s absolutely right.

I know Mush. I know.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #573 on June 29, 2021, 08:29:45 pm by drfchound »

100% agreed RA.
There is no need for us to go hung ho from the kick off.
We are hard to beat and we should play to that strength.
In the games so far we have looked solid and the difference today was that we took our chances and the Germans didn’t.
They were no better than us.
Southgate doesn’t have a 65% win ratio for nothing.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #574 on June 29, 2021, 08:37:03 pm by Jonathan »
Makes for an interesting read back through the comments during the game. Props to hound for keeping his head while many around were losing theirs.

Maybe, just maybe, Gareth Southgate might just know what he’s doing. I mean he’s played and managed at a good level through most of his career. But he can’t match some of the minds on here.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #575 on June 29, 2021, 08:37:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
The thing is, hound, he has both central midfielders on yellow cards. Either, or both, of them get another in the next game and they’re out the following game, if we’re lucky enough to go through.

Maybe he has to change, at least, one of them for the QF game?

It’s to be hoped, also, that that goal gets HK firing again, as he’s looked a bit sluggish so far. Big relief for him, that goal.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #576 on June 29, 2021, 08:38:16 pm by Copps is Magic »
Sterling did give the ball away. And you know what, it probably happens 30/40 times across a normal game.

But the absolute devastation he showed when he did lose that ball is enough for me. It showed how much dedication he's put into his England career, how much he cares, and his absolute commitment.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #577 on June 29, 2021, 08:42:30 pm by tyke1962 »
Well it's been a long time coming against that lot and a massively enjoyable outcome .

I'm sure this was repeated around the country when the goals came .

Great short video .

https://youtu.be/qpdmjpY_RPE

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #578 on June 29, 2021, 08:43:50 pm by Jonathan »
The thing is, hound, he has both central midfielders on yellow cards. Either, or both, of them get another in the next game and they’re out the following game, if we’re lucky enough to go through.

It’s to be hoped, also, that that goal gets HK firing again, as he’s looked a bit sluggish so far. Big relief for him, that goal.

For 10 minutes before his goal I think Kane visibly lifted his game. Easy to point to the little things, but Grealish gave them something to think about down that left side and his presence brought Shaw higher up the pitch to start doubling up. All of a sudden Kane began to have people playing off him. And then the goal. It didn’t quite come from nowhere.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #579 on June 29, 2021, 08:44:02 pm by drfchound »

Yes Alan, you are right about Philips and Rice but he has Henderson available so will probably bring him in for one of them.
As for Kane, I know he has been poor so far but he IS quality and that goal will do him a world of good.
Don’t be surprised if he goes on a scoring spree now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:51:02 pm by drfchound »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #580 on June 29, 2021, 08:50:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Robbie Savage just scored for Sweden. Via a deflection off Matt Bianco. Clearly I'm not over exposed to ALL the players.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #581 on June 29, 2021, 09:02:06 pm by River Don »
That miss by Müller felt like a historic tectonic shift. It's usually been us against Germany that have those agonising misses. There was something very talismanic about that.

Tectonic or Teutonic?

The earth moved but I don't think it was a tectonic shift.

Next time the two nations are drawn, it will be the English approaching the fixture with trepidation.

It's the Germans. Engineered precision, organised, unemotional, cool calculation. Die Mensch Maschine.

It's the English, traditional, haphazard, dreamers, innovative, sometimes brilliant, greedy, often hopeless romantics.

The Germans are nemesis. That's just how it is.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #582 on June 29, 2021, 09:03:13 pm by Pancho Regan »
That’s why Kane is still on the pitch.  Get in.

Thank the lord for Grealish you mean

Who put the ball in the net I mean.

Who put it there and any player would have put that in, I’ve all the respect in the world for Kane but he clearly isn’t anywhere near his best

I agree that Kane isn’t at his best but if he played poor and sticks in a clinching goal he will do for me.
It makes me laugh though when people say “ anyone could have put that in”.

I also think that if we had been two nil down that this thread would have had fifty more posts.

Sorry hound but any striker at that level would have scored but hey he scored we won we go on to Rome

You sound delighted.....

We just beat Germany, lighten up and give us some credit ffs

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #583 on June 29, 2021, 09:15:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
Good point made by a guy on Twitter - it’s the involvement of ex-DRFC lad, Graeme Jones that’s made the difference!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #584 on June 29, 2021, 09:15:47 pm by Pancho Regan »
Robbie Savage just scored for Sweden. Via a deflection off Matt Bianco. Clearly I'm not over exposed to ALL the players.

Have ten minutes off from being a clever arse BST and enjoy the victory tonight.

This tournament is throwing up some thrilling games, England are unbeaten, haven’t conceded a single goal, and have just knocked out Germany.

Chill out, hold your hands up and enjoy.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #585 on June 29, 2021, 09:18:49 pm by River Don »
Good point made by a guy on Twitter - it’s the involvement of ex-DRFC lad, Graeme Jones that’s made the difference!

Did anyone notice that bloke in red and white hoops at the front of the stands? Was it a a Rovers top?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #586 on June 29, 2021, 09:21:53 pm by MachoMadness »
I noticed him but I don't think it was a rovers top. Didn't look like any shirt of ours I can remember. It may have been a rugby top.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #587 on June 29, 2021, 09:26:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Two even sides well matched today. Thought we edged it overall winning most of the 50/50s and battles. Also looked better at moving the ball forward than we have been which is good. Obviously we had some luck with Mullers chance but we earnt that. Think that was their only big chance other than the Werner one which was a 3/4 chance imo (or no chance when it falls to Werner)   

Team selection was easy to pick holes in and i'm not sure i'd have picked it too but Southgate has to have the credit when it goes well. It did show a lot of belief in the players to say we'll match them up and back us to be better man for man.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #588 on June 29, 2021, 09:27:44 pm by jmt23 »
Yes definitely looked like a rovers fan!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #589 on June 29, 2021, 09:28:51 pm by drfchound »

Did anyone notice that bloke in red and white hoops at the front of the stands? Was it a a Rovers top?

Yes I saw it too.
I was sure it was a Rovers shirt but could be wrong.
Our hoops are very distinctive which is why I don’t like the possible new design on the other thread.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #590 on June 29, 2021, 09:29:12 pm by jmt23 »
Just seen the response above - must have been bear goggles :facepalm: I shouted him out anyway :rtid:

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #591 on June 29, 2021, 09:29:48 pm by jmt23 »
BEER !!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #592 on June 29, 2021, 09:32:04 pm by GazLaz »
I’ve got tickets to the semi final and the final. Bound to get knocked out in the quarters.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #593 on June 29, 2021, 09:37:15 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well, I think that's the first time we've beaten Germany in a championship game since 1966. And there have been some painful evenings since then. Lots of demons exorcised tonight.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #594 on June 29, 2021, 09:40:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well, I think that's the first time we've beaten Germany in a championship game since 1966. And there have been some painful evenings since then. Lots of demons exorcised tonight.
Not quite. We beat them in the group stage of Euro2000. Both sides failed to progress.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #595 on June 29, 2021, 09:46:39 pm by DearneValleyRover »
That’s why Kane is still on the pitch.  Get in.

Thank the lord for Grealish you mean

Who put the ball in the net I mean.

Who put it there and any player would have put that in, I’ve all the respect in the world for Kane but he clearly isn’t anywhere near his best

I agree that Kane isn’t at his best but if he played poor and sticks in a clinching goal he will do for me.
It makes me laugh though when people say “ anyone could have put that in”.

I also think that if we had been two nil down that this thread would have had fifty more posts.

Sorry hound but any striker at that level would have scored but hey he scored we won we go on to Rome

You sound delighted.....

We just beat Germany, lighten up and give us some credit ffs

I’m more than happy and only stated that Kane was, isn’t playing to his own high standards but hey you are enjoying the moment so much you’ve had to troll through posts looking for and replying to what you believe is negative, wind your neck in
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:59:08 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #596 on June 29, 2021, 09:55:57 pm by Filo »
Nothing to fear from Sweden and Ukraine on tonights showing, and extra time adding to their fatigue for Saturday

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #597 on June 29, 2021, 10:05:15 pm by River Don »
One more thing.

There was a time when I thought Jurgen Klinsmann was only second in line to Andreas Moller as the pinnacle of German arrogance.

I've come to see Klinsmann is really a class act. He was gracious this evening on the BBC.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #598 on June 29, 2021, 10:07:04 pm by Jonathan »
On the yellow cards - I believe they wipe them after the 2nd Round to avoid players missing out on the semis and final because of it. I might be wrong, but if so Rice and Phillips are off the hook on that one.

Sadly I think you are wrong and it’s after the quarters

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #599 on June 29, 2021, 10:07:53 pm by RoversAlias »
On the yellow cards - I believe they wipe them after the 2nd Round to avoid players missing out on the semis and final because of it. I might be wrong, but if so Rice and Phillips are off the hook on that one.

Sadly I think you are wrong and it’s after the quarters

Yes just looked it up and you're right, it's after the Quarters. Rice and Phillips will have to be careful then, but we do have Henderson who is in reality a better player than the pair of them when fully fit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012