Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:19:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 37627 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #600 on June 29, 2021, 10:08:36 pm by Jonathan »
One more thing.

There was a time when I thought Jurgen Klinsmann was only second in line to Andreas Moller as the pinnacle of German arrogance.

I've come to see Klinsmann is really a class act. He was gracious this evening on the BBC.

Klinsmann is an absolutely top guy. Impossible not to like him. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #601 on June 29, 2021, 10:11:04 pm by drfchound »
One more thing.

There was a time when I thought Jurgen Klinsmann was only second in line to Andreas Moller as the pinnacle of German arrogance.

I've come to see Klinsmann is really a class act. He was gracious this evening on the BBC.

Klinsmann is an absolutely top guy. Impossible not to like him.

Agreed, I have listened to him over the years and he speaks well about the game.
(Quality diver too in his day).

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #602 on June 29, 2021, 10:23:28 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Looks like whoever we play is going to have injuries. Bodies all over the place in this game. Nothing to fear from either of these. Get our attitude right and the result should come without needing to really get going.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #603 on June 29, 2021, 10:24:35 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well, I think that's the first time we've beaten Germany in a championship game since 1966. And there have been some painful evenings since then. Lots of demons exorcised tonight.
Not quite. We beat them in the group stage of Euro2000. Both sides failed to progress.

Should have added when it matters.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #604 on June 29, 2021, 10:25:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
  :facepalm:

Famous last words?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #605 on June 29, 2021, 10:30:54 pm by drfchound »
That rolling about by the Ukraine 18 just now is beyond pathetic.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #606 on June 29, 2021, 10:35:15 pm by drfchound »
Great header to win the game, almost identical to Kanes header.
Im glad Ukraine have won because I think they are less likely to sit back and defend against us than maybe Sweden would have done.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #607 on June 29, 2021, 10:40:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
The ‘group of death’, by the way, has been just that:

France, Germany and Portugal all out!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #608 on June 29, 2021, 10:42:31 pm by RoversAlias »
Ukraine through but battered and tired. Yarmolenko went off injured and he is their best player.

In truth we have already beaten two better teams than them in this tournament but none of that will matter come Saturday in Rome. Should be a cracking tie.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #609 on June 29, 2021, 11:05:38 pm by selby »
  Interesting viewing on BBC late news with coverage of the crowd at Wembley drinking beer while watching the game, I thought that was against the law in football grounds.
  Will they take away their licence? and have any supporters been ejected for taking beer into the stands? have they got stewards stopping you taking alcohol to your seat? have they got yellow lines  determining a point past which alcohol should not be taken?
  I guess every football league club chairman who watched that will be seething.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #610 on June 29, 2021, 11:08:04 pm by GazLaz »
  Interesting viewing on BBC late news with coverage of the crowd at Wembley drinking beer while watching the game, I thought that was against the law in football grounds.
  Will they take away their licence? and have any supporters been ejected for taking beer into the stands? have they got stewards stopping you taking alcohol to your seat? have they got yellow lines  determining a point past which alcohol should not be taken?

What a strange post after one of our best tournament wins in a generation.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #611 on June 29, 2021, 11:24:50 pm by selby »
Gaz, nobody is happier than me about England getting through to the next round, and hopefully they can go all the way, but, every one of us on here have been treated differently to the crowd at tonight's game as we are not allowed to drink alcohol while watching  a game of football unlike most other sports, especially cricket and Rugby, and are restricted as to where you can have a drink at all grounds and certainly not within view of the pitch.
  Now either Wembley are not up to the job of policing the law properly,they are exempt from the law, or we are just second class citizens and at Wembley you can watch football with a pint of beer in hand and not at any football League ground.
  Having a beer while watching a game is not for me really, But having witnessed people being ejected from the ground, or having the beer confiscated at least, I don't see why Wembley can benefit from the profits of beer sales in the ground and clubs like ourselves cannot.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #612 on June 29, 2021, 11:34:52 pm by belton rover »
f**king get in.
That’s all.

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #613 on June 29, 2021, 11:38:18 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »

I wonder if that's down to the ramifications of Covid perhaps? Better to have fans drinking in their seats, in the open air,  than thousands of people piled into the concourses?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #614 on June 30, 2021, 05:10:45 am by PDX_Rover »
Any thoughts on the Swedish red card?

Horrible in slow motion. Amazed the leg didn’t break.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 05:16:25 am by PDX_Rover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #615 on June 30, 2021, 08:15:28 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think the Swedish player lunged from such a distance, he cannot have been certain he was going to get the ball therefore I can understand why it was judged as wreckless even though he did contact the ball first.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #616 on June 30, 2021, 08:39:04 am by idler »
I think that it was very reckless rather than deliberate but worthy of a red when he made contact.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #617 on June 30, 2021, 12:13:54 pm by DMnumber4 »
Sterling has turned up when needed though. He was poor against Scotland k thought but excellent tonight.  Grealish is a game changer too.  England have such brilliant depth in the attacking midfield spots and that's a huge plus.

Going in to the tournament it was all about the defence being not the best. They've been excellent and part of that is the protection. We might not score 5 or 6 a game but we won't concede many.

For me there's only one team in the competition left that's better than England.

Hope it's not Ukraine!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #618 on June 30, 2021, 02:20:12 pm by MachoMadness »
Definite red that. It doesn't matter that he got to the ball first, it was still reckless and wildly out of control, putting the other player in danger. I know the Ukraine player got subbed off but it could have been much worse.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #619 on June 30, 2021, 03:42:28 pm by selby »
  Ukraine are no mugs, a young side and currently and in the recent past top top sides at world youth and U20s level, so some of the best players in their age groups pushing through, and not to be taken lightly.
  They will be highly charged and up for it, if we can match their enthusiasm and impose our game on them our ability to create and take chances could well see us through what will be a tough game against a side that will try and upset our rhythm, and like all East European sides  are well versed in the physical side of the game.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #620 on June 30, 2021, 04:56:29 pm by normal rules »
Gaz, nobody is happier than me about England getting through to the next round, and hopefully they can go all the way, but, every one of us on here have been treated differently to the crowd at tonight's game as we are not allowed to drink alcohol while watching  a game of football unlike most other sports, especially cricket and Rugby, and are restricted as to where you can have a drink at all grounds and certainly not within view of the pitch.
  Now either Wembley are not up to the job of policing the law properly,they are exempt from the law, or we are just second class citizens and at Wembley you can watch football with a pint of beer in hand and not at any football League ground.
  Having a beer while watching a game is not for me really, But having witnessed people being ejected from the ground, or having the beer confiscated at least, I don't see why Wembley can benefit from the profits of beer sales in the ground and clubs like ourselves cannot.

I like nothing more than to watch the footy with a beer. When I lived in Germany I went to watch Borussia Monchengladbach a few times. The locals there carry there own crates in to sup.
On a slightly different note, I find it quite annoying the amount of beer being wasted whenever England score. It seems at fan parks up and down the country there seems to be some sort of competition in who can throw around the most ale. I just don’t get it. Drink the bloody stuff, don’t throw it around. Ffs.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #621 on July 01, 2021, 08:46:25 am by DRCraig »
Started off with a player opening his mouth for fans to throw beer in after scoring a goal. Now you are getting opposition fans throwing it. Out of order.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #622 on July 01, 2021, 08:53:00 am by Metalmicky »
On a slightly different note, I find it quite annoying the amount of beer being wasted whenever England score. It seems at fan parks up and down the country there seems to be some sort of competition in who can throw around the most ale. I just don’t get it. Drink the bloody stuff, don’t throw it around. Ffs.

I couldn't agree more - wouldn't get me tossing my ale in the air....... I'm too tight  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:55:11 am by Metalmicky »

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #623 on July 02, 2021, 07:16:29 pm by belton rover »
10 man conundrum:
Just watching this Spain Switzerland game and a thought occurred. If it goes to pens and Switzerland’s best taker goes first, what happens if 10 pens each are taken and they are all square?
Effectively, for the 11th taker, it would be Spain’s last choice against Switzerland’s first, making 10 men the advantage.
Or would Spain have to send a man off too, just for the penalties?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #624 on July 02, 2021, 08:13:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
They pick who they don't want to take 1 beforehand

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #625 on July 02, 2021, 08:39:11 pm by belton rover »
They pick who they don't want to take 1 beforehand
Cheers, Padge. I’d no idea.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #626 on July 02, 2021, 09:07:44 pm by Pancho Regan »
What a game this Belgium v Italy.

That second goal for Italy by Insigne was a thing of beauty.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #627 on July 02, 2021, 09:21:37 pm by TheFunk »
Italy are a joy to watch after being subjected to Spain's brand of walking football.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #628 on July 02, 2021, 09:21:46 pm by belton rover »
It continues to be a fantastic tournament.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #629 on July 02, 2021, 09:25:42 pm by Pancho Regan »
Italy are a joy to watch after being subjected to Spain's brand of walking football.

Italy look so impressive. Amazing energy, brilliant in defence as well as in attack.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012