Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:58:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Should the England squad boycott the World Cup in Qatar?  (Read 2172 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Yes

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Should the England squad boycott the World Cup in Qatar?
« Reply #1 on July 16, 2021, 06:08:18 pm by drfchound »

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 16, 2021, 06:13:12 pm by glosterred »
No

Sorted it as well

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 16, 2021, 06:15:23 pm by drfchound »
1-1 mow then.
Could this go to penalties.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 16, 2021, 10:47:14 pm by RobTheRover »
Yes. Terrible human rights record, reduced rights for migrant workers (many risking their lives in the stadium construction), women's rights undermined, death penalty brought back recently.

FIFA awarded to them on backhanders and brown envelopes and dressed it up as spreading opportunity.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 16, 2021, 10:56:48 pm by belton rover »
I think it’s a good shout, but meaningless if it is just one big hitter. It’s incredible that the consensus is that England have just lost the opportunity to make a bid for 2030 because of what has just happened at Wembley, yet the next one is in Qatar.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 16, 2021, 11:20:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Qatar wanted it to big themselves up. So go ahead with the tournament but boycott showing it on telly. That way, Qatar still have to pay for everything (especially once the sponsors refuse to pay up because they don't get advertised) but get no promotional benefit from it - and it doesn't deny the players the chance to compete. Hit the right people and not the innocent.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 17, 2021, 08:11:18 am by dickos1 »
No,
Woukd have zero effect just one nation boycotting it and would only harm our country and our footballers

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 17, 2021, 08:35:00 am by sha66y »
No,
Woukd have zero effect just one nation boycotting it and would only harm our country and our footballers

Are you implying that the England football teams stance against racism doesn’t extend to human rights violations in other countries then?
A kind of selective “ stamp anything out that affects me” mentality, but bugger any other ethnic groups being systematically violated so I can play football?

Put it this way….if they ( England team) do not support other causes of racism, how can they hope to be seen as credible?

The guest workers in Qatar are practically modern day slaves with no rights whatsoever,
So if anyone thinks that black privileged footballers are being terribly mistreated, they should probably read the articles relating to Qatar….for a more balanced view, for to deny anything is happening and has already happened is to condone abuse of other races!

Mull it over and come back with a good reason why you think they should play…

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 17, 2021, 08:55:41 am by Glyn_Wigley »
No,

Pulling out our players would only harm the country and especially the players and do bugger all to Qatar. As for just one country boycotting television country, we'd of course campaign for other countries to follow our lead. Playing in a tournament but not televising it is a more powerful statement as it lasts for a month and underlines the reason for the whole of that time. Just pulling out months before the tournament only lasts for as long as it takes to make the announcement. We'd get replaced by somebody else (remember Denmark 1992?) and the tournament would carry on without us and do nothing to Qatar at all. They'd still get promoted on telly and the sponsors money will still roll in.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 17, 2021, 09:04:06 am by sha66y »
No,

Pulling out our players would only harm the country and especially the players and do bugger all to Qatar. As for just one country boycotting television country, we'd of course campaign for other countries to follow our lead. Playing in a tournament but not televising it is a more powerful statement as it lasts for a month and underlines the reason for the whole of that time. Just pulling out months before the tournament only lasts for as long as it takes to make the announcement. We'd get replaced by somebody else (remember Denmark 1992?) and the tournament would carry on without us and do nothing to Qatar at all. They'd still get promoted on telly and the sponsors money will still roll in.

And we as a nation would set ourselves up has the bastions in the fight for racial equality, our politicians and football authorities would have to back the stance too…

BEIN Sport does not need UK advertising money…..it’s needs the world to sanction and endorse its handling of human rights ……

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 17, 2021, 09:14:57 am by River Don »
I suppose now, if nations decided to boycot Qatar in protest at the treatment of guest workers, then all those lives lost would be for nothing.

It's a difficult situation because the tournament should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place.

The players of the nations involved have a lot of power in this and if they were to act in unison then a very powerful message could be sent. They all have phones.

What sort of action would be most appropriate? I'm really not sure.

It would be something, if somehow those stadiums could be turned into a memorial to the guest workers, rather than palaces to the glory of the Qatar elite.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:25:36 am by River Don »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 17, 2021, 10:29:48 am by Glyn_Wigley »
No,

You could, of course, act on your own principles and refuse to watch any of it on television yourself.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 17, 2021, 10:53:25 am by dickos1 »
No,

You could, of course, act on your own principles and refuse to watch any of it on television yourself.

I was saying no to boycotting the tournament rather than not showing it on tv so was agreeing with u

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 17, 2021, 10:55:55 am by dickos1 »
No,

Are you implying that the England football teams stance against racism doesn’t extend to human rights violations in other countries then?
A kind of selective “ stamp anything out that affects me” mentality, but bugger any other ethnic groups being systematically violated so I can play football?

Put it this way….if they ( England team) do not support other causes of racism, how can they hope to be seen as credible?

The guest workers in Qatar are practically modern day slaves with no rights whatsoever,
So if anyone thinks that black privileged footballers are being terribly mistreated, they should probably read the articles relating to Qatar….for a more balanced view, for to deny anything is happening and has already happened is to condone abuse of other races!

You do seem to have a strange negative attitude to people of colour.
And obviously have no understanding on the subject as you yourself have mentioned previously.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 17, 2021, 02:08:53 pm by sha66y »
No,

You do seem to have a strange negative attitude to people of colour.
And obviously have no understanding on the subject as you yourself have mentioned previously.

Good answer and says a lot…

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 17, 2021, 04:32:35 pm by RobTheRover »
No,

I think the same debate is probably going in in other countries too

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 17, 2021, 08:37:10 pm by Campsall rover »
In a word yes.

Only way to stop it happening is all the major Soccer Nations come together and tel FIFA it ain’t happening.
If the all do that then FIFA are powerless. They would have to listen and ultimately take action.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 17, 2021, 09:34:42 pm by dickos1 »
Sorry
But there’s absolutely no way all the nations would boycott it.
We’d do it alone and they’d just replace us with someone else

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 18, 2021, 08:07:11 am by sha66y »
Sorry

You come across as “football first “ at ANY cost?

In fact I think if someone pointed out that the bones of the dead slave workers was crushed and used as under soil drainage , you would probably think that was a novel idea,

I can’t knock your dedication to football, but your moral compass is well and truly broken…

But ya answers are fun to read, and that’s why we have debates

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 18, 2021, 09:21:59 am by glosterred »
Sorry

Sha66y, you may fInd this reply amusing, but in this instance it correct. If FIFA had any moral compass they wouldn’t have given it to Qatar in the first place. IMO FIFA would not only replace England in this competition but more than likely ban us from future competitions as well.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:51:18 am by glosterred »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 18, 2021, 10:03:53 am by dickos1 »
Sorry

In fact I think if someone pointed out that the bones of the dead slave workers was crushed and used as under soil drainage , you would probably think that was a novel idea,

I can’t knock your dedication to football, but your moral compass is well and truly broken…

Your replies are more depressing than fun,
You really struggle to understand most topics.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 18, 2021, 11:38:24 am by Campsall rover »
Sorry
Not saying they would.

Just saying that is the only way to stop it.

It will not happen of course, unfortunately.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 18, 2021, 11:42:48 am by Campsall rover »
Sorry

Your replies are more depressing than fun,
You really struggle to understand most topics.
Come on you two. Pack it in. Let’s have a sensible debate.
Slagging each other off is such a waste of energy.  :that:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 18, 2021, 11:58:24 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Sorry

It's not 'football first', but by stopping thr players from taking part you're punishing them and not hurting the Qataris one jot. My suggestion is to hold the tournament, make the Qataris pay for it but don't give them the kudos they're wanting from it. Punish the guilty, not the innocent.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 18, 2021, 01:13:48 pm by auckleyflyer »
Yes from me and wouldn't be upset at the lack of football but immensely proud of the stand taken! I suspect if one major nation did others would follow. Then the Qataris really have wasted billions and the people remembered will the ones who brought this about loosing their lives

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 18, 2021, 02:34:50 pm by sha66y »
Sorry

It's not 'football first', but by stopping thr players from taking part you're punishing them and not hurting the Qataris one jot. My suggestion is to hold the tournament, make the Qataris pay for it but don't give them the kudos they're wanting from it. Punish the guilty, not the innocent.

Surely it would be easier for 30 guys to say “ no thanks” than what you are proposing, to stop all broadcasts would be impossible !
and I don’t consider it to be a punishment to a footballer that has a conscience to miss a tournament on humane grounds

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 18, 2021, 04:49:21 pm by wilts rover »
Good to see sha66y standing up for deprived people and migrant workers, well done sir.

I presume you will be including a boycott of all British building companies employed on contracts in Qatar, such as Carrillion, in your campaign?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/revealed-british-firms-1billion-deals-4099028

https://www.pesmedia.com/qatar-world-cup-2022-british-firms/

And extending it to the British government who continue to sell arms to this intolerant regime that won the World Cup and allows the abuse to go on.

https://aoav.org.uk/2018/uk-arms-exports-to-qatar/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/27/17bn-of-uk-arms-sold-to-rights-abusers

If you can post a link to the petitions to the government you are no doubt going to be starting that would be great

Ta

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 18, 2021, 07:15:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Sorry

Surely it would be easier for 30 guys to say “ no thanks” than what you are proposing, to stop all broadcasts would be impossible !
and I don’t consider it to be a punishment to a footballer that has a conscience to miss a tournament on humane grounds

People acting on their own conscience s thoroughly commendable. Taking away their choice of action based on their own conscience isn't commendable.

As for the television non-coverage, I'd be happy if only the UK decided to boycott, but if we could persuade others to do the same that'd be great.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 20, 2021, 07:44:28 am by normal rules »
Yes.
But they won’t. No one will.
It will be interesting to see how Qatar react if teams choose to protest in any way shape or form though.
This isn’t France or Germany. It’s a deeply conservative Muslim State where speaking out can get you in a lot of trouble.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012