Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:38:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budget transparency  (Read 5005 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Budget transparency
« Reply #30 on July 26, 2021, 06:06:02 pm by ravenrover »
From what I saw on Weds we might just surprise a few especially if we manage to sign Reed

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 26, 2021, 06:07:16 pm by scawsby steve »
Didn't GB make it clear at the time Wellens was appointed that this was a "recovery" year for the club after COVID and we can expect to get back to a basis that might see us compete for the playoffs the following year?

Pib, I keep asking this question and nobody ever answers. How on Earth can we plan for the season after the next, when, if we don't achieve promotion, most of the good players will leave, as they do every year, leaving us in the same boat again?

Also, if we're in the bottom half and losing matches frequently, attendances will drop way down, which then affects our financial position for the next season.

The only workable plan as far as the League table is concerned is to go out and win as many games as you can.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 26, 2021, 06:09:22 pm by ravenrover »
Smoke and mirrors for me, play it down a fans won't be too disappointed if we don't get promotion

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 26, 2021, 06:11:31 pm by sha66y »
Didn't GB make it clear at the time Wellens was appointed that this was a "recovery" year for the club after COVID and we can expect to get back to a basis that might see us compete for the playoffs the following year?

Pib, I keep asking this question and nobody ever answers. How on Earth can we plan for the season after the next, when, if we don't achieve promotion, most of the good players will leave, as they do every year, leaving us in the same boat again?

Also, if we're in the bottom half and losing matches frequently, attendances will drop way down, which then affects our financial position for the next season.

The only workable plan as far as the League table is concerned is to go out and win as many games as you can.

I don’t think we are planning for next year to push for a play off spot,
We are consolidating what we have this year and being realistic about the expectations, the rest is in the lap of the gods I’m afraid

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 26, 2021, 06:12:04 pm by Retdon1 »
I think we are at present in a group financially and competitively that could finish anywhere from mid table to play offs. Would see our peers here as Oxford, MK Dons, Lincoln City, with us at the back of that pack. Problem is that the group containing the front runners is now huge - Rotherham, Ipswich, Sunderland, Charlton, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Bolton, Wigan, Wednesday.

We are miles behind MK and Oxford I can assure you of that.

Mk Dons gaffer is rumoured to be off to Swansea which will disrupt them

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 26, 2021, 06:30:20 pm by scawsby steve »

We are consolidating what we have this year and being realistic about the expectations, the rest is in the lap of the gods I’m afraid

How can you plan to not push for a play-off spot, if you're supposedly pushing to win every game?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 26, 2021, 06:36:45 pm by sha66y »

How can you plan to not push for a play-off spot, if you're supposedly pushing to win every game?

We just may come up against faster, fitter, stronger, better players that beat us….we may be as competitive has is possible….but it might not be enough…
On the other hand we may come up against teams we can beat with this squad , but not be able to amass enough points to get in the top ten …

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 26, 2021, 06:51:15 pm by scawsby steve »

We just may come up against faster, fitter, stronger, better players that beat us….we may be as competitive has is possible….but it might not be enough…
On the other hand we may come up against teams we can beat with this squad , but not be able to amass enough points to get in the top ten …

Yes, we may do any of that, but how do you plan for it, other than giving it your best shot?

That scenario you mentioned will be exactly the same the season after.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 26, 2021, 08:12:47 pm by drfchound »

Yes, we may do any of that, but how do you plan for it, other than giving it your best shot?

That scenario you mentioned will be exactly the same the season after.

100% right SS.
It must be difficult to try to win a few and lose a few so that we just consolidate.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 26, 2021, 08:30:53 pm by Jonathan »
It’s a hard game for trialists like, for example, Colkett, who’s been here for the entirety of the pre-season only to be told (based on how this sounds) that you’ve done well but we couldn’t afford to offer you a deal anyway.

I’m sure we’ll do all in our power to offer Reed a deal, he fits into that role so well. But the squad is still very light on numbers and depth so it’s to be hoped we can find a bit more wiggle room somewhere. Assuming Williams can find another club to start with.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 26, 2021, 08:38:16 pm by drfchound »
It could also be Wellens and the club playing their cards carefully. They might be saying no money is immediately available in the hope that they can get away with trialists accepting lower wage offers and hoping that other clubs don’t come along with better ones and tempt them away.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 26, 2021, 08:46:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
Totally agree, Jon, and I think Harrison has done himself a lot of good, possibly only for some other side to get him! We just seem a bit light on numbers in the middle of the team. If we do sign Reed, we still only have 4 lads and then we’re in to whatever is left after RW gets these young lads out on loan. Personally, I think we could do with another one in the reckoning and it could be one of the loanees that he’s got left.

Hopefully, a keeper will be with us before he weekend, so that will be the keepers sorted. In defence we seem to have 4 from 7, if you include Seaman and Horton in that 7. Up top we have Hiwula, Fej, Bogle, Cukur, Taylor &. Barlow (if he signs), so not bad at all. And, to think, last season we had so much difficulty getting attacking options!

Gett Barlow, Reed and the 3 triallists and we shouldn’t be far off - but if one player leaves then it’s another hole to fill.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 26, 2021, 09:25:37 pm by ravenrover »
Can anyone really think that Richie Wellens will not be trying to win every game we play?
We may not beat every team but it wont be from the lack of trying. There will be no talk of consolidation coming from Wellens no matter what comes out from thr Club in the media

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 26, 2021, 11:56:13 pm by RobTheRover »
Whatever happens, I think from what I've seen from the friendlies that we will be competitive. I also think Wednesday, Sunderland and Pompey won't be quite the all conquering forces that some people think they will be.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 27, 2021, 07:26:13 am by sha66y »
It’s easier to accept the rationale that we are consolidating whilst the team is being built than saying “ here is what we currently have and we should be a top half team,”

I guess the word “ consolidating” is a good enough excuse to accept defeat without feeling cheated of the self imposed expectations of success

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 27, 2021, 07:38:39 am by GazLaz »
Can anyone really think that Richie Wellens will not be trying to win every game we play?
We may not beat every team but it wont be from the lack of trying. There will be no talk of consolidation coming from Wellens no matter what comes out from thr Club in the media

Consolidation doesn’t mean lack of effort. It means he’s being given a limited tool kit that could potentially hinder performance.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 27, 2021, 08:22:47 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But that's actually ok for a year isn't it? Surely we should be looking to build a squad properly and longer term (which by the signings we've made is happening much more than prior years). It's the only way we could survive if promoted.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 27, 2021, 08:44:07 am by GazLaz »
But that's actually ok for a year isn't it? Surely we should be looking to build a squad properly and longer term (which by the signings we've made is happening much more than prior years). It's the only way we could survive if promoted.

Yes, it is what it is. We got away with it last season and by May we were one of the worst teams in the league. Teams that start operating with a budget below where they have tended to be historically, usually only move in one direction. That’s all I’m afraid of.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 27, 2021, 01:05:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
Whatever the budget was last season, I’m not sure Moore himself added much value to the players he recruited through his management. We can probably end up in same position with a lower budget if Wellens can add significant value through his own management performance.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 04:57:27 pm by Chris Black come back »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 27, 2021, 01:20:06 pm by steve@dcfd »
Whatever the budget was last season, I’m not sure Moore himself added much value to the players he recruited through his management. We can probably end up in same position with a lower budget of Wellens can add significant value through his own management performance.
Chris,  Wellens budget should be more than the one last year yet all Richie can do is replace players that left. Knoyle for Halliday, Williams for Wright, Rowe for James, Close for Gomes and Hiwula for Lokilo. On paper they are equivalent or better. Richie needs to be allowed to sign at least two more permanents for DM and attacking midfield I know they won’t be same but the replacement for Whiteman and Coppinger.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 27, 2021, 03:20:48 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Whatever the budget was last season, I’m not sure Moore himself added much value to the players he recruited through his management. We can probably end up in same position with a lower budget of Wellens can add significant value through his own management performance.
Chris,  Wellens budget should be more than the one last year yet all Richie can do is replace players that left. Knoyle for Halliday, Williams for Wright, Rowe for James, Close for Gomes and Hiwula for Lokilo. On paper they are equivalent or better. Richie needs to be allowed to sign at least two more permanents for DM and attacking midfield I know they won’t be same but the replacement for Whiteman and Coppinger.

the replacement for whiteman was Bostock, I know he’s not as good defensively as whiteman but we will not get anyone who can do as good of a job as him in league 1. And replacing Coppinger isn’t really needed because RW is using a different formation to DM. My guess would be that Wellens will bring in Reed to play in CDM then Bostock will be pushed further forward and will compete for one of the number 8 spots.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 27, 2021, 03:44:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

And that sums it up. I suspect all of those command higher wages than those they are replacing.  To bulk the squad up some cheapish loanees should be the way forward. The core of the squad is now there if he can get the 2 trialists he wants signed up.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 27, 2021, 04:37:47 pm by Bessie Red »
I think we are at present in a group financially and competitively that could finish anywhere from mid table to play offs. Would see our peers here as Oxford, MK Dons, Lincoln City, with us at the back of that pack. Problem is that the group containing the front runners is now huge - Rotherham, Ipswich, Sunderland, Charlton, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Bolton, Wigan, Wednesday.

We are miles behind MK and Oxford I can assure you of that.
In what way are we miles behind?  Squad numbers or quality of the players or both?
MK Dons have been progressing well over the last 12 months and have added some quality, however they have lost their best player Scott Fraser and Cameron Jerome, but overall they are ahead of us. As for Oxford they do have a good squad but are managed by a  complete bellend, so I would say we have as good a chance as them to finish in the top 10.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 27, 2021, 05:03:22 pm by steve@dcfd »

the replacement for whiteman was Bostock, I know he’s not as good defensively as whiteman but we will not get anyone who can do as good of a job as him in league 1. And replacing Coppinger isn’t really needed because RW is using a different formation to DM. My guess would be that Wellens will bring in Reed to play in CDM then Bostock will be pushed further forward and will compete for one of the number 8 spots.
So you agree as you’ve said you think he’ll bring in Reed has CDM and we’ve offered Barlow a contract  has a attacking midfield.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 27, 2021, 07:29:37 pm by EasyforDennis »
So what happened to the six year plan? Or have we been "consolidating" for the last six years?  :chair: :chair:

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 27, 2021, 10:10:56 pm by swintonrover »
So what happened to the six year plan? Or have we been "consolidating" for the last six years?  :chair: :chair:

Don't know if it's escaped your attention, but we've had 3 managers walk out, a majority shareholder die and a global pandemic to deal with. Sorry it's not still 2015.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 27, 2021, 11:56:28 pm by since-1969 »

Don't know if it's escaped your attention, but we've had 3 managers walk out, a majority shareholder die and a global pandemic to deal with. Sorry it's not still 2015.
Excuses that’s all you ever get

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 28, 2021, 12:24:27 am by Bailey Vickerage »

So you agree as you’ve said you think he’ll bring in Reed has CDM and we’ve offered Barlow a contract  has a attacking midfield.
I agree that Reed may be brought in as the CDM but think Barlow will be brought in as a winger, we don’t need a direct replacement for Coppinger or Richards because wellens won’t play with a number 10.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 28, 2021, 06:27:40 am by Janso »

f**k me hahahaha, tell me what company in the world wouldn't have their plans knocked off course by these events. Get a f**king grip, man.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 28, 2021, 07:12:06 am by EasyforDennis »

f**k me hahahaha, tell me what company in the world wouldn't have their plans knocked off course by these events. Get a f**king grip, man.

You do realise we aren't the only club affected by the pandemic don't you?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012