Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:20:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Anti-vax players  (Read 2543 times)

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
Anti-vax players
« on August 23, 2021, 12:28:38 pm by Daniel_Smith »
Why am I not surprised we've got some anti-vax tinfoil hat wearers in our squad.

Rule should be - get jabbed, or don't play!

Lost a couple of mates to covid well before their time. It's not a joke, or a conspiracy. They should bloody well grow up!

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/richie-wellens-reveals-stance-on-covid-vaccinations-within-doncaster-rovers-squad-3356166

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Anti-vax players
« Reply #1 on August 23, 2021, 12:39:26 pm by GazLaz »
Why am I not surprised we've got some anti-vax tinfoil hat wearers in our squad.

Lost a couple of mates to covid well before their time. It's not a joke, or a conspiracy. They should bloody well grow up!

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/richie-wellens-reveals-stance-on-covid-vaccinations-within-doncaster-rovers-squad-3356166

You are actually speaking nonsense on a variety of levels.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 23, 2021, 12:51:46 pm by pib »
I don't think it's unique to Rovers. Neil Warnock and Pep Guardiola have both spoken about this as a number of players at their clubs haven't been vaccinated either. No doubt it'll be the case at every club, as per society, that different people have different stances on it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 23, 2021, 12:55:29 pm by Filo »
You can’t force people to have the vaccine, equally they shouldn’t expect much sympathy if the contract the virus

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 23, 2021, 01:03:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If they want to make that choice then fine but if it leads to them becoming unavailable to play, then perhaps they should have their pay deducted?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 23, 2021, 01:07:56 pm by Jonathan »
You can’t force people to have the vaccine, equally they shouldn’t expect much sympathy if the contract the virus

Why shouldn’t they get much sympathy. Double jabbed people can still pick up, transmit and suffer from the virus and I know plenty that have. Conceivably you could have a double jabbed person carelessly going around taking no precautions whatsoever, and you could have someone that’s chosen not to take the vaccine but is sensibly taking a range of other precautions and limiting contacts. And some have decided that sympathy is conditional upon vaccination status alone?

I’ve had both mine by the way. But I back personal choice on it and I think Wellens’ stance is fair and appropriate.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 23, 2021, 01:19:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Those criticising have no idea why others haven't had a vaccine, ridiculous to criticise.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 23, 2021, 01:27:48 pm by Filo »

Why shouldn’t they get much sympathy. Double jabbed people can still pick up, transmit and suffer from the virus and I know plenty that have. Conceivably you could have a double jabbed person carelessly going around taking no precautions whatsoever, and you could have someone that’s chosen not to take the vaccine but is sensibly taking a range of other precautions and limiting contacts. And some have decided that sympathy is conditional upon vaccination status alone?

I’ve had both mine by the way. But I back personal choice on it and I think Wellens’ stance is fair and appropriate.

I’m not sure I’ve said anything against personal choice, I think my opening sentence shows that, and I certainly haven’t mentioned Wellens stance, I wouldn’t expect much sympathy if I chose that stance knowing that there is a vaccine that minimises the risk

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 23, 2021, 01:33:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Yep. Very fair comment.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 23, 2021, 01:48:53 pm by DonnyNoel »
I don't think it's unique to Rovers. Neil Warnock and Pep Guardiola have both spoken about this as a number of players at their clubs haven't been vaccinated either. No doubt it'll be the case at every club, as per society, that different people have different stances on it.

Seems to be in the news a lot at the moment - Warnock, Guardiola and a few others have been pushing the vaccines lately. Makes me wonder if there's a disproportionate number of players not jabbed compared to the general public.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 23, 2021, 02:29:07 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I think it’s more of an age thing, footballers being in general of a younger age group which is the largest majority of those not wanting to be vaccinated

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 23, 2021, 02:37:15 pm by Goole Rover »

It’s not nonsense and you won’t understand until it catches you out. My then fit and healthy 38 year old son caught this virus pre jab days. Previously capable of cycling well over 100 miles in the day now he can’t walk 400metres without resting followed by aches and pains. Then the mental strain kicks in when no improvement is evident. People who refuse the jab with no genuine reason are in my opinion are selfish idiots.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 23, 2021, 03:00:06 pm by albie »
I thought the government were saying  'vaccine passports' might be introduced - either across the board or at venues holding 20,000 or more spectators - from the end of September.

If they do that for fans going into the ground, the players would surely have to meet the same standard.
I can't see how this is going to work tbh.

If it comes in then, anyone not vaxxed by now is not going to be double jabbed in time.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 23, 2021, 03:35:04 pm by German Rover »

Seems to be in the news a lot at the moment - Warnock, Guardiola and a few others have been pushing the vaccines lately. Makes me wonder if there's a disproportionate number of players not jabbed compared to the general public.

Warnocks old as f**k don't forget. He gets a bad case it could be very bad

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 23, 2021, 03:55:43 pm by DonnyNoel »

I believe Guardiola's mum passed away from it - hence it being a subject close to home for him too. Wonder if there's an element of young blokes thinking they'll be fine if they get it and once a couple of people voice that opinion in a close dressing room others take heed. I think there was a squad at the Euros that had pretty much all refused the jab just before the tournament. Belgium maybe but could be wrong on that.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 23, 2021, 04:11:17 pm by Goole Rover »

Brave statement that GR I'd be very careful ! 

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 23, 2021, 04:39:46 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well, I have lung scarring as a result of COVID-19.  Thankfully it’s not the idiopathic type of interstitial lung disease (which is a death sentence) but it’s there and my focus is on managing it and figuring out how far I can run, swim, workout, cycle etc. I got both jabs when I was eligible and my doctor has scheduled me for the booster early September.

It’s no joke.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 23, 2021, 05:03:13 pm by normal rules »

Quantas airlines are. Well not exactly forcing them. But to continue working for them you will have to be vaccinated. So it’s jab or job.

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 23, 2021, 05:48:39 pm by hstripes »
Excepting people who can't have the jab on genuine medical grounds, in my book anyone who has not had the vaccine is a selfish, ignorant scumbag. Lowest of the low in my view. If even a more sizeable minority acted in this way there'd be thousands more deaths, even more people suffering plus we'd all be having our freedoms seriously curtailed still.

However this is a free society and democracy so people cannot be forced to have the jab and should be allowed their own opinions on the vaccine regardless of the fact that I, others or even maybe the majority think their views and actions are despicable.

As per their nature these anti-vaxxers are quite happy to take advantage of our re-won freedoms - won by those of us selfless enough to have had the vaccine.

The solution is quite simple. Where an unvaccinated person is or is liable to cause issues due to their vaccination status said freedoms should be withdrawn from them. So I support banning unvaccinated people from large events where they risk spreading the virus to many others for example

In the case of these unvaccinated footballers if they have to self isolate (which on the balance of probabilities will almost certainly be because they haven't been vaccinated) they should have their pay docked for the games they are unavailable for.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:52:04 pm by hstripes »

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 23, 2021, 06:44:02 pm by Daniel_Smith »

Yep I'm the one talking nonsense. You about to tell me 5G masts are making us ill and the Earth is flat are you?  :lol:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 23, 2021, 07:02:02 pm by DonnyNoel »
Excepting people who can't have the jab on genuine medical grounds, in my book anyone who has not had the vaccine is a selfish, ignorant scumbag. Lowest of the low in my view. If even a more sizeable minority acted in this way there'd be thousands more deaths, even more people suffering plus we'd all be having our freedoms seriously curtailed still.

However this is a free society and democracy so people cannot be forced to have the jab and should be allowed their own opinions on the vaccine regardless of the fact that I, others or even maybe the majority think their views and actions are despicable.

As per their nature these anti-vaxxers are quite happy to take advantage of our re-won freedoms - won by those of us selfless enough to have had the vaccine.

The solution is quite simple. Where an unvaccinated person is or is liable to cause issues due to their vaccination status said freedoms should be withdrawn from them. So I support banning unvaccinated people from large events where they risk spreading the virus to many others for example

In the case of these unvaccinated footballers if they have to self isolate (which on the balance of probabilities will almost certainly be because they haven't been vaccinated) they should have their pay docked for the games they are unavailable for.

I think your last paragraph is a really interesting point. Putting the rather inflammtory vax vs no vax debate aside that will always arise on this topic, players not being vaccinated could potentially impact their availability in fixtures. Depending on League policy on postponing games re isolating players it could get interesting down the line.

Poshrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 23, 2021, 08:16:24 pm by Poshrover »
hstripes, i agree with everything you have written.
Antivax are selfish and ignorant people.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 23, 2021, 10:28:53 pm by BobG »
The other thing anti vax footballers could do is infect other squad members. I'd make it a contractual requirement.  No vax, no contract. The door is that way....

BobG

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 23, 2021, 11:36:40 pm by dknward2 »
A player that gets covid and is not vaccinated should only get statuary sick pay when they start getting hit in the pocket it will soon change a few opinion

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 23, 2021, 11:47:27 pm by albie »
If they can't enter the ground at the end of September, because they don't have a vax passport to show they are double jabbed, what then?

They may be in breach of contract, by not taking steps to ensure that they could continue to work for their employer.

Not just Rovers;
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/steve-bruce-admits-a-lot-of-newcastle-players-have-not-been-vaccinated-covid

Does anyone know if any guidance on this has been issued by the EFL, or the Players Union?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:04:13 am by albie »

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 24, 2021, 08:06:33 am by Ldr »
The other thing anti vax footballers could do is infect other squad members. I'd make it a contractual requirement.  No vax, no contract. The door is that way....

BobG

You can still contract it and pass it on even when vaccinated so this point is a bit moot Bob

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 24, 2021, 08:18:45 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
If they can't enter the ground at the end of September, because they don't have a vax passport to show they are double jabbed, what then?

They may be in breach of contract, by not taking steps to ensure that they could continue to work for their employer.

Not just Rovers;
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/steve-bruce-admits-a-lot-of-newcastle-players-have-not-been-vaccinated-covid

Does anyone know if any guidance on this has been issued by the EFL, or the Players Union?

Here in France the Covid "Pass" is either proof of vaccination or a negative test from less than 48/72 hours. So if you aren't vaccinated you have to test every couple of days to get in bars/restaurants/stadia.

Would guess they would be regularly tested so could get by any Covid passport requirement.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 24, 2021, 03:20:45 pm by Spud »
I'm double jabbed yet have just had covid so the covid pass to me is out there for one or two reason, one, as an incentive to get the jab or two, so that you don't end up in hospital & being a strain on the NHS.
Covid is still very much among us, vaccinations won't stop people catching or spreading it.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 24, 2021, 05:17:00 pm by 5 on Tour »
Anti-Vaxxing isn’t a thing. As mentioned above if you medically can’t have the jab then fine. Everyone else is just being an ignorant half wit.

The sacrifices everyone has had to make over the last 18 months, the people who have died, the people who have helped care for those with Covid and everyone else who has suffered from this illness are being spit on by people who think they know better than medical professionals.

Give me a valid reason not to have it and still get to go out and do everything as before?

If you don’t want it then fine. Stay at home. The NHS and government are telling you to have it… if you don’t why should they then care for you?

Yes people who are doubled jabbed can still get it and yes they can still pass it on but they’re massively less likely to become seriously ill with it. Exactly the same principal as wearing a seat belt and I’d like to think everyone on here is bright enough to do that! Maybe not

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 24, 2021, 09:01:21 pm by since-1969 »

All a vaccine does is gives you a proportion of immunity the same as if having had the virus . So if you contract it again,  your body is able to fight off infection . When you have been double vaccinated you can still have Covid AND pass it on . All teams need to  keep testing and isolate to avoid further spread if effected . There are no short cuts vaccinated or not . 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012