Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:54:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scunny  (Read 3398 times)

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Scunny
« on October 09, 2021, 03:50:34 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
 :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5 down at Harrogate at half time and rooted to the foot of L2. Me thinks they are heading out of business and not just into the NL.

They are imploding and taking their decaying stadium with them.

IIRC there was a poster on here who was off to the game today at Harrogate? Hope you are having a real good laugh.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:53:09 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Scunny
« Reply #1 on October 09, 2021, 04:14:08 pm by Chris the Rover »
Will Harrogate take their foot off the pedal in the second half? Much as I like Rovers to do better than other local opposition, I wouldn’t wish Scunthorpe’s current plight on anyone - apart from Wednesday. Had some good trips to both of Scunny’s grounds in the past. I for one hope they get out of trouble.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 09, 2021, 05:40:38 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Always happens doesn't it? A team can batter their opponents first half and then second half it is usually a much tighter affair. Iron hit for six in the end and had Lewis Thompson sent off.

Scunny have got top of the table FGR next so it doesn't get any easier for the poor things.

Personally i hope they go under. A club run into the ground by Peter Swan who couldn't' get his own way with the planning permission for the new stadium. I thought they were supposed to be doing up Glanford Park instead? Not happened yet.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 09, 2021, 07:09:25 pm by Campsall rover »
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5 down at Harrogate at half time and rooted to the foot of L2. Me thinks they are heading out of business and not just into the NL.

They are imploding and taking their decaying stadium with them.

IIRC there was a poster on here who was off to the game today at Harrogate? Hope you are having a real good laugh.
That was me CDH
Sorry i posted about the game on the Wycombe thread.

Yes i did have a quiet laugh. 500 Scunny fans were not laughing that is for sure.  :)

Record football league score for Town and record home gate for the club 3.100 and something.
Great day for the club.
How far they come in the last 7/8 years. Quite a story.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:12:20 pm by Campsall rover »

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 09, 2021, 07:21:47 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Yeah i know. Remarkable job that Weaver has done. I used to spend loads of time in and around York and listening to BBC Radio York and Harrogate were always the team who got the brief mention as opposed to the main stuff about York City.

Now look where the two clubs are. Harrogate the bigger club now and deserving of more coverage.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 09, 2021, 07:37:34 pm by Goole Rover »
Will Harrogate take their foot off the pedal in the second half? Much as I like Rovers to do better than other local opposition, I wouldn’t wish Scunthorpe’s current plight on anyone - apart from Wednesday. Had some good trips to both of Scunny’s grounds in the past. I for one hope they get out of trouble.
I agree with you Chris it’s no laughing matter like you I hope that they get out of it but I very much doubt it. People should remember what we went through with Richardson and they’re in a similar position. The ground is falling apart with no money spent on maintenance. Again like you I always enjoyed the games at Glandford Park where we were usually successful and I could give my youngest son some stick who was at the other end.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 09, 2021, 07:59:21 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Why aren't the fans protesting though about the owner etc? All a bit quiet over the border. I'd have more respect for them if they weren't putting up with this shit.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 09, 2021, 08:32:34 pm by Branton Rover »
The owner doesn’t have any money it’s a guy called Peter Swan who’s married to the daughter of Wilkinson hardware store so he hasn’t got any money himself - his raison d’etre is buy a club with the wife’s money, promise the fans a new ground and hope it happens - he did exactly the same at Gainsborough Trinity

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 09, 2021, 08:39:17 pm by Goole Rover »
The owner doesn’t have any money it’s a guy called Peter Swan who’s married to the daughter of Wilkinson hardware store so he hasn’t got any money himself - his raison d’etre is buy a club with the wife’s money, promise the fans a new ground and hope it happens - he did exactly the same at Gainsborough Trinity
Echoes of Bridlington.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 09, 2021, 08:47:37 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Yeah. He is who i was on about. Got into a protracted legal battle with North Lincs council for a new stadium at lakeside area but eventually that got refused and he said he was going to renovate GP instead and then build flats etc for NHS workers or whatever which hasn't materialized. Meanwhile spent loads of money he hasn't got on about 400 managers in 5 years and a million players. Absolute charlatan.

Just surprised the Scunny fans aren't fighting against Mr Swan. He's a big horse racing fan apparently. Maybe he could do a Shergar for the sake of Scunny and football integrity.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 09, 2021, 09:12:16 pm by Goole Rover »

Yeah. He is who i was on about. Got into a protracted legal battle with North Lincs council for a new stadium at lakeside area but eventually that got refused and he said he was going to renovate GP instead and then build flats etc for NHS workers or whatever which hasn't materialized. Meanwhile spent loads of money he hasn't got on about 400 managers in 5 years and a million players. Absolute charlatan.

Just surprised the Scunny fans aren't fighting against Mr Swan. He's a big horse racing fan apparently. Maybe he could do a Shergar for the sake of Scunny and football integrity.
More comparisons with Uncle Ken. Yea I’m getting bored with the England match,

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 09, 2021, 09:16:52 pm by Branton Rover »
I think even Richardson would struggle getting a blaze going out of the rusting girders at GP.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 09, 2021, 09:57:04 pm by DRCraig »
They are down

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 09, 2021, 11:24:14 pm by stuey »
I remember going scunny in our relegation season, 97/98. 1-1 draw. Some inbred little scrote says to me "can't wait till you go of business you donny c##ts". F##k em. Shithole of a town, Shithole of a club. Hope they go out of business.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 09, 2021, 11:30:40 pm by The Beast »
Totally agreed! Always loved playing Scunny, hope they can get out of the situation they’re in!
I would much rather have a drink with a Scunny fan from Scunny, a Rotherham fan from Rotherham or a Barnsley fan from Barnsley than some d**khead from Donny who supports Wednesday or even worse Leeds!

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 10, 2021, 12:04:24 pm by colincramb »
Why would any genuine football fan want another club to go out of business?

It’s just odd. Scunthorpe are very much like ourselves in many ways. After our very recent history you’d think we’d have some empathy

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 10, 2021, 12:10:02 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Because these clubs like Scunthorpe spend their way to (relative success) with money they haven't got and potentially putting the future of the club in jeopardy, and the fans are delighted to go along with it. Then when it goes tits up they start moaning and groaning about how shit everything is.

It is the same at every club, not just Scunny but i have little sympathy.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 10, 2021, 12:28:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Because these clubs like Scunthorpe spend their way to (relative success) with money they haven't got and potentially putting the future of the club in jeopardy, and the fans are delighted to go along with it. Then when it goes tits up they start moaning and groaning about how shit everything is.

It is the same at every club, not just Scunny but i have little sympathy.
Just like some of our fans want our board to do. Bankrupt the club. 
But hey ho that would not bother them would it.  Not much.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 02:34:20 pm by Campsall rover »

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 10, 2021, 02:47:38 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
There is always a pattern at clubs who find themselves in the shit.

A few examples are Chesterfield. Built a new ground, on the brink of the Championship but lost in the play offs. Bubble burst, poorly run, dodgy owners and nearly went out of the National League last season. All within 5 / 6 years.

Yeovil. Somehow reached the Championship. Now in financial dire straits, rudderless and drifting in the National League within 5 / 6 years.

Scunny. Championship to potential NL within 5 / 6 years. Decaying ground. Disinterested owner etc.

York. On the brink of L1 about 5 / 6 years ago. New stadium being built. Poorly run club by Jason McGill who fell out with his sister who was a co-owner. Fell out with the supporters trust who then owned a small share in the club. Now languishing in the National League North.

Notts County. Southend. Derby. Sheff Weds. Bradford. Bolton. Sunderland. Wigan. Charlton. Portsmouth. Ipswich. Hull. all to some degree run poorly.

In actual fact, we do fit the criteria for a similar pattern. In Championship about 6 years ago, could conceivably tumble into L2 and rumblings from certain quarters about the club not being run as well as it could be.

If we did, God forbid go down this year. I would be seriously concerned that we were following the downward trajectory that a number of clubs have followed in similar fashion.

We aren't going down though!  :scarf:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 10, 2021, 02:52:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Agree we are not going down.

The difference is our club does not carry large debt.
Just about all those clubs on your list did or currently does.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 10, 2021, 03:08:33 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Fair point Campsall. One thing in our favour.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 11, 2021, 06:16:39 am by IDM »
Plus we already did tumble into league 2 since relegation from the championship, but bounced back..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 11, 2021, 06:49:12 am by Donnywolf »
In the days when Teams drpped into non-lge I used to "will" them to bounce back but now it is commonplace I just think oh well at least they are;

a]still in business and

b] they have a route back even if they go even lower in pyramid

That is what I will think if The Iron take the drop and are not "iron mighty" any more

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 11, 2021, 07:08:00 am by roversdude »
Whilst it’s quite entertaining seeing their results, the last thing I would wish on any club (unless it’s a money grabbing Prem/ex Prem team) is for them to go bust

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 11, 2021, 08:13:48 am by Pancho Regan »
I notice Alfie Beestin provided the cross for Scunny's goal.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 11, 2021, 09:05:57 am by Wiltshire Exile »
I remember going scunny in our relegation season, 97/98. 1-1 draw. Some inbred little scrote says to me "can't wait till you go of business you donny c##ts". F##k em. Shithole of a town, Shithole of a club. Hope they go out of business.

You don’t exactly sit on the fence, do you, stuey?!   :lol:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:10:19 am by Wiltshire Exile »

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 11, 2021, 09:12:41 am by keyser_soze »
There is always a pattern at clubs who find themselves in the shit.

A few examples are Chesterfield. Built a new ground, on the brink of the Championship but lost in the play offs. Bubble burst, poorly run, dodgy owners and nearly went out of the National League last season. All within 5 / 6 years.

Yeovil. Somehow reached the Championship. Now in financial dire straits, rudderless and drifting in the National League within 5 / 6 years.

Scunny. Championship to potential NL within 5 / 6 years. Decaying ground. Disinterested owner etc.

York. On the brink of L1 about 5 / 6 years ago. New stadium being built. Poorly run club by Jason McGill who fell out with his sister who was a co-owner. Fell out with the supporters trust who then owned a small share in the club. Now languishing in the National League North.

Notts County. Southend. Derby. Sheff Weds. Bradford. Bolton. Sunderland. Wigan. Charlton. Portsmouth. Ipswich. Hull. all to some degree run poorly.

In actual fact, we do fit the criteria for a similar pattern. In Championship about 6 years ago, could conceivably tumble into L2 and rumblings from certain quarters about the club not being run as well as it could be.

If we did, God forbid go down this year. I would be seriously concerned that we were following the downward trajectory that a number of clubs have followed in similar fashion.

We aren't going down though!  :scarf:

It just shows how short sighted the 'sack the board', 'bloody rubbish Bramhall' etc lot are. There but for the grace of God...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 11, 2021, 09:15:37 am by Campsall rover »
That is one person Stuey.

Why do just a small minority idiots cloud the judgment for some, about a Football Club and it’s entire fan base.
The vast majority of football fans are decent reasonable people and yes that is all clubs and their fans.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 11, 2021, 09:25:43 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Unless it's a friendly or a cup tie I don't think we'll be seeing Scunny again for a long time.

The town's a shithole & the club's on it's arse.

Feel sorry for the fans. Including all the divvys.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 11, 2021, 10:10:08 am by IDM »
I would much rather Scunthorpe were in our division.. we could do with the six points.!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012