Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Where is Sandtoft?  (Read 1619 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Where is Sandtoft?
« on October 23, 2021, 09:55:14 am by wilts rover »
Yorkshire land grab (love the photo of Sheridan Smith in the article - here is a person not really connected with the story but you might have heard of)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-59009661

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Where is Sandtoft?
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2021, 10:10:32 am by drfchound »
An interesting post wilts.
It has reminded me of a customer of mine back in the seventies who had a business selling bathrooms and kitchens in Lower Fishergate in Donny.
He traded as Victor Homecraft but for the life of me I can’t recall the owners real name.
He lived on the Isle and as a publicity stunt for his business, one day(might have been 1st April) he informed the six o’clock local news people that he was going to put border guards in place at the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire border at Sandtoft.
Of course the TV people were interested and there was a film clip of him and a couple of his mates stopping the reporter as they approached the border signs.
He had parked his Rolls Royce at an angle across the road for effect.
He asked the reporter if he had any cigs or whiskey in his car and when the reporter asked him why, he said “because we are a bit short of them over here”.
Quite funny at the time and your post reminded me of a light hearted situation back then.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 23, 2021, 10:26:52 am by Filo »
Is Belton in Lincolnshire, it’s only a mile or two down the road from Sandtoft

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 23, 2021, 10:27:52 am by Donnywolf »
Yes Sandtoft declaring UDI - I remember that well

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 23, 2021, 10:28:35 am by Donnywolf »

Yes it is - as is Sandtoft as well. North Lincs starts 100 ish yards before the narrow hump back bridge
Little Chapel on right as you go down road from Green Tree
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:34:15 am by Donnywolf »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 23, 2021, 10:28:54 am by Filo »
Before Copart and Geffco took over old Sandtoft RAF base it was a great place to goto learn to drive

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 23, 2021, 10:36:42 am by wilts rover »

Yes the boundary is the course of the old River Torne which was further west before drainage than it is now - as you see on the map.

Sandtoft of course was Vermuyden's camp/headquarters during the drainage

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 23, 2021, 10:39:37 am by drfchound »
Before Copart and Geffco took over old Sandtoft RAF base it was a great place to goto learn to drive

I took my son on there to learn to drive from the time he was big enough to reach the pedals and sit comfortably in the drivers seat.
There was a bridge over the M180 too that was good for learning hill starts.
Always a few traffic cones about too for learning how to park.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 23, 2021, 10:43:42 am by wilts rover »
The best story I have is of Craiselound/Graizelound - the village you could never leave.

For years they couldn't decide what the spelling of the village should be - the sign at one end was Craiselound with Graizelound at the other. So if were driving through on the 161 - you always left a different place to the one you entered.

I dont think they actually decided on Graizelound until this century.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 23, 2021, 10:46:54 am by Filo »

Yes the boundary is the course of the old River Torne which was further west before drainage than it is now - as you see on the map.

Interesting map, my house stands on what used to be Thorne Mere before drainage, hence the reason my garden is clay, you can also see clearly where the Don flowed into the Aire at Snaith before the Dutch River was dug to Goole, that abandoned River between the 90 degree bend at the Durch River and Snaith is where the M62 passes through today. The Don split into two after Thorne Mere with the other flow running somewhere close to the A18 and flowing into the Trent somewhere near Keadby

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 23, 2021, 10:56:06 am by Filo »
Back to the OP

Taken from wiki

Sandtoft is a hamlet in the civil parish of Belton, North Lincolnshire (Where the population is included), England.

Sandtoft is in Hatfield Chase on the Isle of Axholme, 3 miles (5 km) north-west from Epworth.

Sandtoft has a public house, The Reindeer Inn.[1]

RAF Sandtoft was an RAF Bomber Command airfield. It opened in April 1944, closed in November 1945 and was sold for civilian uses in 1955. Today part of the site is Sandtoft Airfield and The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft, Europe's largest trolleybus museum, is on another part.

Sandtoft and nearby Epworth, Lincolnshire were centres of unrest during the 17th draining of The Fens.[2]

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2021, 12:22:55 pm by Sprotyrover »
Circa 625 ad was it in the Kingdom of 'Mecian' (Capital Hatfield)
Or was the isle of Axholme a stand alone?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2021, 12:42:33 pm by knockers »
This sign has now been put on the right side of the road.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 23, 2021, 01:11:10 pm by wilts rover »

Not sure, I had left by then, I will ask our kid...

In one of the books I have there is a story about a King of Axholme but I dont have them down here, so will have to try and remember to have a look when I come up next month.

My guess is it was a stand-alone between Lindsey and Mecian - because it was mostly swamp and easier to go around? Cant imagine them fighting over a few fishing rights.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 23, 2021, 01:20:27 pm by scawsby steve »
An interesting post wilts.
It has reminded me of a customer of mine back in the seventies who had a business selling bathrooms and kitchens in Lower Fishergate in Donny.
He traded as Victor Homecraft but for the life of me I can’t recall the owners real name.
He lived on the Isle and as a publicity stunt for his business, one day(might have been 1st April) he informed the six o’clock local news people that he was going to put border guards in place at the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire border at Sandtoft.
Of course the TV people were interested and there was a film clip of him and a couple of his mates stopping the reporter as they approached the border signs.
He had parked his Rolls Royce at an angle across the road for effect.
He asked the reporter if he had any cigs or whiskey in his car and when the reporter asked him why, he said “because we are a bit short of them over here”.
Quite funny at the time and your post reminded me of a light hearted situation back then.

Joe Kingham, mate. He and his younger brother, James, ran the business. I worked for them for a while.

Joe passed away some time ago; I don't know about James.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 23, 2021, 08:43:37 pm by Donnywolf »

Ever read Manuscript in a Red Box ?

Called that because that's just what it was when found - a Manuscript in a Red Box - thought to be written by John Hamilton it is a very interesting account of Vermuydens drainage work and its impact on the inhabitants who [mostly] were not in favour of what he was doing

Free Press brought out a reprint in 73 or 74 -  I bought one then and loaned it out several times before not getting it back from the last "loanee". I found one in Charity Shop recently at £15 but wouldnt buy it even though Ive seen many on ebay up to £82
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:22:49 am by Donnywolf »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 23, 2021, 08:47:29 pm by drfchound »
There are a couple of reproduction prints of maps, showing the area before drainage, for sale on eBay wolfie.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 23, 2021, 09:33:45 pm by Donnywolf »

I don't know but always thought Isle of Axholme was a strange name as Holme as a prefix or Suffix usually means Island

Think Holme on Spalding Moor on way to Brid or Lindholme (Island of Limes)

So Isle of Axholme I believe is Isle of Ax (Haxey) Isle.Why not Holme of Axholme I wonder ?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 23, 2021, 09:57:12 pm by belton rover »
The official address for Belton is:

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 23, 2021, 11:30:13 pm by Sprotyrover »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!
I think the locals identify Doncaster as their hub town rather than Scunny or Gainsborough.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 24, 2021, 06:16:54 am by Donnywolf »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!
I think the locals identify Doncaster as their hub town rather than Scunny or Gainsborough.

... well they have taste then lol :chair:

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 24, 2021, 04:36:45 pm by Colin C No.3 »
My old man took me & our kid there to learn to drive in his Ford Prefect.

I was 14 & our kid was 12.

I remember him leaving us there on our own driving, while he ‘nipped for a pint’!

Were there any boozers within walking distance of Sandtoft?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 24, 2021, 05:59:03 pm by Filo »
My old man took me & our kid there to learn to drive in his Ford Prefect.

I was 14 & our kid was 12.

I remember him leaving us there on our own driving, while he ‘nipped for a pint’!

Were there any boozers within walking distance of Sandtoft?

Reindeer in Sandtoft, and there was, might be still one just as you went into Belton on the left

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 25, 2021, 05:23:18 pm by normal rules »

Interesting map, my house stands on what used to be Thorne Mere before drainage, hence the reason my garden is clay, you can also see clearly where the Don flowed into the Aire at Snaith before the Dutch River was dug to Goole, that abandoned River between the 90 degree bend at the Durch River and Snaith is where the M62 passes through today. The Don split into two after Thorne Mere with the other flow running somewhere close to the A18 and flowing into the Trent somewhere near Keadby
[/quote

It will be a mere again In not too many years.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 26, 2021, 09:33:55 am by Axholme Lion »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!

When i lived in Westwoodside the address was Doncaster, i live in West Butterwick just up the road which is also on the Isle but the address is Scunthorpe but with a DN postcode.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 26, 2021, 11:15:21 am by Filo »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!

When i lived in Westwoodside the address was Doncaster, i live in West Butterwick just up the road which is also on the Isle but the address is Scunthorpe but with a DN postcode.
Did you pay your Council Tax to Doncaster in Westwoodside, and to Scunthorpe in West Butterwick?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 26, 2021, 11:19:25 am by drfchound »
Slightly going off topic but a pal who used to live in Goldthorpe had a Rotherham phone number, Sheffield postcode and Barnsley as a council and was a Rotherham post town.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 26, 2021, 02:52:50 pm by Axholme Lion »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!

Did you pay your Council Tax to Doncaster in Westwoodside, and to Scunthorpe in West Butterwick?

They're both North Lincolnshire. It's just the postal area that it relates to. Both DN postcodes though. The entire Isle of Axholme is North Lincolnshire. It's the only part of Lincolnshire to the West of the River Trent, so that may be where the confusion comes from. It's never been Yorkshire although quite a few people have Yorkshire flags flying in their gardens.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 26, 2021, 03:14:16 pm by Filo »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!

They're both North Lincolnshire. It's just the postal area that it relates to. Both DN postcodes though. The entire Isle of Axholme is North Lincolnshire. It's the only part of Lincolnshire to the West of the River Trent, so that may be where the confusion comes from. It's never been Yorkshire although quite a few people have Yorkshire flags flying in their gardens.

Not sure if Keadby and Althorpe are part of the Isle, but they are west of the Trent

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 26, 2021, 03:36:37 pm by Axholme Lion »

Belton
Doncaster
North Lincs

Work that one out!

Not sure if Keadby and Althorpe are part of the Isle, but they are west of the Trent

They are on the isle. North and South Axholme tend to stick to their own side of the M180.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012