Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:42:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Automatic v Manual.  (Read 1122 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Automatic v Manual.
« on October 24, 2021, 04:44:57 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I learned to drive in a pre 1962 Ford Prefect with only 3 forward gears & have only ever owned & driven manual gear shift cars.

I class that as ‘proper driving’. With a clutch & your own choice of gear you’re in total ‘command’. I’ve driven the odd automatic over the years & the number of times I’ve heard folk say “Ah, once you’ve driven an automatic you’ll never go back to a manual”.

Well I have & it’s a manual shift every time for me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
Re: Automatic v Manual.
« Reply #1 on October 24, 2021, 04:47:05 pm by Janso »
Only ever driven automatics on the odd occasion I've had to use a company car. No thank you.

Not looking forward to having to get an electric vehicle as I think they're all automatic.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 24, 2021, 05:53:03 pm by Filo »
My last car an X3 was automatic, I loved it, my present car a Kuga is automatic and I like that too, makes towing the Caravan easy

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 24, 2021, 05:54:55 pm by idler »
I've had a Mokka automatic for 6 years and find it ok.
I can't bend my left leg too well so it makes driving a lot easier.
I can change to manual when I want but never bother.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 24, 2021, 06:00:56 pm by glosterred »
Driven automatics only occasionally, the hard part is when you’ve only driven manuals is trying to remember not to put the clutch down to change gears when moving off or coming to a stop, as the people behind are scared shitless when you do stop very quickly!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 24, 2021, 06:21:03 pm by River Don »
Electric cars only have one gear, so need for a clutch and stick.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 24, 2021, 06:29:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Our Peugeot Rifter is an automatic with eight gears, you can't tell when it changes gear it's that smooth. You can't even hear it changing gear.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 24, 2021, 06:33:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
First time I drove an automatic was in a hire car in the States a few years back.

Instant convert. I have no desire ever to go back to a manual gearbox anymore than I would want to go back to a horse and cart.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 24, 2021, 06:36:50 pm by Janso »
Driven automatics only occasionally, the hard part is when you’ve only driven manuals is trying to remember not to put the clutch down to change gears when moving off or coming to a stop, as the people behind are scared shitless when you do stop very quickly!

Aye. The company I used to work at provided all milk, coffee, tea etc, but someone had to make the trip to the shop to collect it. And they were dead paranoid about us getting in an accident on the journey as it could be considered a business trip, and if you're not covered by business insurance...

Anyway, first time I ever did this, I nearly sent two pints of milk through the front window pulling into the car park.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 24, 2021, 06:47:32 pm by Superspy »
Only time I'd ever go automatic by choice is if I was buying a very high performance car where a manual wasn't an option, or an electric car as they don't have a gearbox. Beyond that, manual all the way for me.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 24, 2021, 06:50:04 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I only drive autos now and have done for about 8 years due a pretty serious back injury, my own is a volvo s40 auto  2.4 diesel and the company got me an auto van after the medical reports, currently its a new vauxhall combo  8 speed auto tbf the van is spot on even for a vauxhall :)  and as for my dirty great volvo I love it. Both vehicles you can drive in a manual mode and go up and down the gears yourself obviously without the clutch work. Even if my back was good I wouldnt go back to a manual

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 24, 2021, 08:25:46 pm by scawsby steve »
Driving with a manual gearbox is just an unnecessary inconvenience. The Yanks have never wanted to know them, and neither did I when I used to be a motorist.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 24, 2021, 09:36:04 pm by SydneyRover »
Auto's for me, I driven plenty of both, but a modern automatic is so much simpler and proper too, aye Colin.

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 24, 2021, 11:52:56 pm by KeithMyath »
I’ve just gone from a 3 series auto to a 3 series manual, preferred the Auto but can live with the manual. I’ve also gone from x drive to just rear wheel drive, and can safely say I am missing the traction more than the auto gearbox.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 25, 2021, 07:07:45 am by Ldr »
Always had manual until the last 2 cars, both hybrid and would say I prefer automatic now

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 25, 2021, 08:21:22 am by keyser_soze »
I had a DSG Golf GTi for my previous car, didn't set out to buy it but was a good deal at the time, went into it with an open mind and in the end was disappointed to see it go. Dual clutch so fast gear changes, sports mode where it really hung on to the low gears (that I never used) and a sequential option (that i did use on country lanes etc) if you want to control the gears yourself (but without the need for a clutch you just keep your foot on the accelerator). Great fun, and makes going back to a manual feel like a step back in time.

Would definitely choose one of those again given the option.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 25, 2021, 04:02:58 pm by Batleyred »
Only time I'd ever go automatic by choice is if I was buying a very high performance car where a manual wasn't an option, or an electric car as they don't have a gearbox. Beyond that, manual all the way for me.

Agree with that, I’ve gone from old cosworrths to a 605 bhp Audi rs6. I drive it everywhere with the flappy paddles in manual and motorway in auto,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 04:09:22 pm by Batleyred »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 25, 2021, 10:32:25 pm by River Don »
There's something about the old manual and heavy stearing, proper driving. Enzo Ferrari used to make a great virtue of it, the racing driver being a very masculine thing.

I took a look at a Hyundai Ioniq 5 today. All electric. It's an impressive thing, it's got a future retro look, very 80s, a touch of the original Golf, Audi Quattro or Lancia Delta. But lots of LEDs and very modern details. More 2080 than 1980 I think.

I don't know how it performs but visually I don't think I've seen a mass market car with as much 'presence' since the original Audi TT.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/hyundai-ioniq-5-review
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:43:02 pm by River Don »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 25, 2021, 10:52:20 pm by mushRTID »
I’d never driven an automatic until I picked my new company car up in Manchester this summer.
I was over at our office all day waiting for it’s arrival, it turned up at 4pm.
I had to drive from Manchester on a Friday 4pm to Donny, I was bricking it to be fair!

Was a bit nervy to begin with but soon got the hang of it and now love it. Wouldn’t go back to manual now.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 26, 2021, 09:27:32 am by Axholme Lion »
Manual every time for me. Autos seem to be taking over though. The latest version of my Subaru is only available as auto, i think i'll hang on to it for a while yet.
The problem with autos is if they go wrong it can be really expensive to repair/replace.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 26, 2021, 11:22:53 am by keyser_soze »
Manual every time for me. Autos seem to be taking over though. The latest version of my Subaru is only available as auto, i think i'll hang on to it for a while yet.
The problem with autos is if they go wrong it can be really expensive to repair/replace.

I'd agree with that. My aforementioned Golf suffered from a 'ticking sound' - which the main dealers diagnosed as a faulty dual mass flywheel, which needed replacing. I asked for a second opinion and it actually turned out to be the fuel pump!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 26, 2021, 11:40:28 am by Filo »

I'd agree with that. My aforementioned Golf suffered from a 'ticking sound' - which the main dealers diagnosed as a faulty dual mass flywheel, which needed replacing. I asked for a second opinion and it actually turned out to be the fuel pump!

Manuals have dual mass flywheels as well

Auto’s like my Kuga 2.0 TDCI Titanium Powershift has a dual clutch, the Powershift gearbox needs regular servicing, 3 years or 36k miles to prevent gearbox malfunction

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 26, 2021, 11:47:55 am by GazLaz »
No contest, automatic.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 26, 2021, 02:48:44 pm by Axholme Lion »

Manuals have dual mass flywheels as well

Auto’s like my Kuga 2.0 TDCI Titanium Powershift has a dual clutch, the Powershift gearbox needs regular servicing, 3 years or 36k miles to prevent gearbox malfunction

Failing to service the DSG box on VWG cars is a ticking time bomb.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 27, 2021, 08:26:18 am by RobTheRover »
Always had manuals until my last 2 cars.  I'm in no rush to go back.

My missus has a Mini Cooper S manual, and it's great fun to romp about in, but the refinement of my auto Merc trumps it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 27, 2021, 08:45:11 am by GazLaz »

My missus has a Mini Cooper S manual, and it's great fun to romp about in, but the refinement of my auto Merc trumps it.

My last two cars have been automatic Mercs. The gearboxes are brilliant.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 27, 2021, 09:42:38 am by silent majority »
Both our cars are automatic, it was a nightmare when we had one of each! But like others I would never go back.

Had the unfortunate experience of having to drive a hire car around Ireland last week, it just felt so impractical.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 27, 2021, 09:50:46 am by Filo »

Would n’t have thought there was much room in a Mini, to have a romp about in

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 27, 2021, 09:51:27 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Both our cars are automatic, it was a nightmare when we had one of each! But like others I would never go back.

Had the unfortunate experience of having to drive a hire car around Ireland last week, it just felt so impractical.

I have one of each and it's a pain. I have stalled once or twice forgetting the clutch (I drive the auto more).

When I replace the manual I will want an automatic, so much better and so seamless when driving on the battery too.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 27, 2021, 01:18:03 pm by Axholme Lion »
To me autos take away the interest in driving. I can understand the easiness aspect but i like to feel more involved with the machine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012