Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:45:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New ownership!?  (Read 9981 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: New ownership!?
« Reply #90 on December 27, 2021, 09:13:49 pm by PDX_Rover »
I wonder why Rotherham United attract better players than us?

Probably because they play in the championship every other year .

We played in the Championship 5 years out of 6 a few years back, while Rotherham were struggling in league 2.

And then Stewart took over the at Rotherham and started the investment.
So, Stewart's investment was bigger than Ryan's, Bramall's and Watson's combined?

I would say yes,After KM2 got rid of JR.

When JR left only the people putting money into the club remained.

Important point to make.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on December 27, 2021, 09:34:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
JR may not have been contributing financially when he left but he'd already admitted he had to rely on Bramall and Watson's cash to maintain the clubs' progress.

My question is, would Bramall and Watson have benefitted financially, in the long run, had they listened to JR's desire to put more cash into the team?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on December 27, 2021, 09:45:27 pm by Campsall rover »
Not unless we reached the Premier League BB

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on December 27, 2021, 09:50:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I was thinking more in terms of being established in the Championship, CR. I reckon it is a much harder (and expensive) task to become established now than it was then.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on December 27, 2021, 09:53:48 pm by dijit8 »
We had a club in a new stadium and crowds improved we got in to the championship and crowds got bigger often over 12000, we played good football for four seasons in the championship spent over a million pounds on a player yet crowds steadily declined. For whatever reason we can’t get enough support to match Rotherham and Barnsley.
We had everything some people are asking for before but the crowd levels dropped off.

Like it or not the current board keep us on an even keel so we aren’t in danger of going under and also if there was potential investors there isn’t a mountain of debt saddled to the club.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on December 27, 2021, 09:57:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't we attract higher average home attendances than Rotherham when we were in the Championship?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:03:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on December 27, 2021, 10:03:07 pm by silent majority »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't we attract a higher average home attendance than Rotherham when we were in the Championship?

Which means what exactly?

Look, football clubs are not profit generators, nor are they investment vehicles. The whole of football loses money, end of.

It’s the reason we campaigned for the fan led review, the whole of football needs a financial reset.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on December 27, 2021, 10:04:22 pm by dijit8 »
We did, but they dropped offdespite us finishing mid table ish and investing in the team.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on December 27, 2021, 10:12:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't we attract a higher average home attendance than Rotherham when we were in the Championship?

Which means what exactly?

Look, football clubs are not profit generators, nor are they investment vehicles. The whole of football loses money, end of.

It’s the reason we campaigned for the fan led review, the whole of football needs a financial reset.
SM, I was answering a question from the previous poster who suggested it was our inability to compete with the attendances of Rotherham that meant we were unable to compete in the Championship.

Regarding your second paragraph, it seems to me that we are failing to compete because we have led the 'necessary financial reset' ahead of our competitors and as a result, we are getting destroyed on the pitch nearly every game.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on December 27, 2021, 10:14:49 pm by Alan Southstand »
We’ll, the crowds havn’t exactly increased now we’re in the bottom 4 of league 1, either!

The current trend will see us back in the Conference before very long. But we’ll not be in debt!

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on December 27, 2021, 10:32:36 pm by colincramb »
All this talk of ‘we’ll be back in the conference is nonsense’. I’ve been as big a critic of the club as any in recent months, but that kind of talk is just being dramatic. We are a million miles from relegation to the conference ffs

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 27, 2021, 10:55:31 pm by Drover »
I wonder why Rotherham United attract better players than us?

Probably because they play in the championship every other year .

We played in the Championship 5 years out of 6 a few years back, while Rotherham were struggling in league 2.

And then Stewart took over the at Rotherham and started the investment.
So, Stewart's investment was bigger than Ryan's, Bramall's and Watson's combined?

I would say yes,After KM2 got rid of JR.

When JR left only the people putting money into the club remained.
I never said they didn't,BUT I believe the investment they did reduced when he left.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 27, 2021, 11:13:51 pm by dijit8 »
The owners at the time starting with John Ryan gave us a new a new ground, got us to the championship, we played good football, invested in a good team signed players for fees we could never have imagined ten years previously and we couldn't keep the people coming in regularly.

As an owner or investor you would hope that getting to that level the support would stay.

Rotherham have had fairly consistent support since they moved to their new ground.

We had a level of success and people didn't stay to appreciate it.

We can still get good crowds for important games but we struggle to keep them even when successful.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on December 27, 2021, 11:16:41 pm by tyke1962 »
Rovers won't see the National League under its current ownership because that would simply not be allowed to happen .

A drop in to league two at worst the same as I have to accept a drop in to league one even though I know we are a championship club with the fanbase and the history.

There were less QPR fans inside the ground this evening than we have ST holders and that's a fact .

However they have only the credible thing today which is more money .

Don't even get me started on Bournemouth who can't even fill their own ground of less than 12k when half way up the PL table .

Bournemouth are the biggest joke of all in my opinion .

However it is what it is and we just have to find a way as frustrating as it is .

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on December 27, 2021, 11:25:38 pm by WheatleyRover »
Whatever happens we need to come together as a club, and support the new manager, team and board.

The last time for me there was a real togetherness about the club were during the Grant McCann season, there were a real togetherness around the club and such a good feeling about the club, of course having a great season with something to play for at the end contributed towards that, but everyone needs to get on the same page now.

We may go down, but if that happens, we rebuild and hopefully move forward again.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on December 27, 2021, 11:42:34 pm by Barmby Rover »
When Rovers are relegated I presume under the "keeping the books straight" we will be off loading folks like Tommy Rowe who must be one of the bigger earners and replacing them with players on half that wage, or recruiting even more youngsters into the side, and the management will need wages shaving off too so we need to sack whoever is appointed and find a cheaper manager in the summer. So many cuts could be made, until you become Scunthorpe, or Oldham.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on December 27, 2021, 11:48:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
When Rovers are relegated I presume under the "keeping the books straight" we will be off loading folks like Tommy Rowe who must be one of the bigger earners and replacing them with players on half that wage, or recruiting even more youngsters into the side, and the management will need wages shaving off too so we need to sack whoever is appointed and find a cheaper manager in the summer. So many cuts could be made, until you become Scunthorpe, or Oldham.

That's a very big presumption. Especially as it didn't happen the last time we were relegated to L2.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on December 28, 2021, 12:08:50 am by tyke1962 »

That's a very big presumption. Especially as it didn't happen the last time we were relegated to L2.

Glyn it's sometimes a sin to give it the big licks but bear with me .

Rovers are a massive club in league two , a player has the choice ?

Stevenage , Crawley or Rovers ?

It's an absolute no brainer .

It doesn't hurt to push the chest out when it suits given we accept our limitations the other way too .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on December 28, 2021, 12:13:04 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We are not bottom of the table because the owners aren't putting money in. We are bottom of the table because we have a terrible injury crisis, because we have recruited awfully over the past year and because our previous manager didn't make the best of what he had.

Those are, or should be, all temporary problems.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on December 28, 2021, 12:26:34 am by River Don »
it goes back further than that BST, since Darren Moore sodded off the club hasn't had much luck.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on December 28, 2021, 12:57:59 am by phil old leake »
Stop all the doom and gloom.  We’re not going down

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on December 28, 2021, 01:02:28 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Had we been able to go a step further under McCann, it's not unreasonable to think it likely he would have stayed on, the likes of Malik Wilkes and Herbie Kane could easily have been signed permanently with the squad being strengthened with the additional revenue from Championship, probably more TV money and the higher attendances.

But we know it's tough in the Championship and once again, if we were fighting at the bottom of the league, the sane debates and the same criticisms arise about budgets and ambitions.

So again, I ask the same question. Was it fair for a section of Rotherham fans to criticise their owners ambitions when they faced the same struggle?

Of course, now they are top of League One again, all is forgiven.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on December 28, 2021, 02:24:22 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn it's sometimes a sin to give it the big licks but bear with me .

Rovers are a massive club in league two , a player has the choice ?

Stevenage , Crawley or Rovers ?

It's an absolute no brainer .

It doesn't hurt to push the chest out when it suits given we accept our limitations the other way too .

What's that got to do with Barmby Rover's scorched earth fantasy scenario?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on December 28, 2021, 03:33:34 am by Colemans Left Hook »
I can guarantee that there is nothing in this rumour, there is no ‘new ownership’.

Ok lets start a fantasy rumour that "The Keepmoat Group" are going to take a 49% or 51% stake in "Club Doncaster" (the reader can decide for themselves which !!!) Now for more icing on the cake .....

The keepmoat group then offer heavily discounted season tickets lets call them "Golden Tickets" to all events staged at the Keepmoat for a year or more to FAMILIES MOVING INTO A BRAND NEW HOME BUILT BY THE KEEPMOAT GROUP IN THE DONCASTER CATCHMENT AREA (whatever that is)

That last paragraph with variations could be a goer inreality
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 03:39:54 am by Colemans Left Hook »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on December 28, 2021, 03:40:56 am by BobG »
Sounds like the 'BSTR Consortium' all over again CLH.

BobG

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on December 28, 2021, 09:40:53 am by Campsall rover »
Stop all the doom and gloom.  We’re not going down
We will know the answer to that almost certainly by the end of January.
Have you seen our February fixture schedule.

We need a very very good January or we will need to win most games in March and April if we don’t.
It’s make or break time starting now. We need those 4 additions in immediately. Preferably 6 from what I can see. 2/3 of those additions will need to be on it from the go including a natural goal scorer who knows this league.
Marquis on loan till end of season is the sort of signing we need. What we don’t need is a 19 year old lad from the Premier league who has little or no experience of 1st team League football.
We need an old head in midfield someone who  is a ball winner, mobile and a leader.
If we do not get those two type players then we are in League 2 next season. And I am not even going to put imo on that one. I think if we are all honest with ourselves we know the current squad is simply way way short of being capable of getting 30/33 possibly more points, in the remaining 24 games.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on December 28, 2021, 09:58:19 am by Bentley Bullet »
The owners at the time starting with John Ryan gave us a new a new ground, got us to the championship, we played good football, invested in a good team signed players for fees we could never have imagined ten years previously and we couldn't keep the people coming in regularly.

As an owner or investor you would hope that getting to that level the support would stay.

Rotherham have had fairly consistent support since they moved to their new ground.

We can still get good crowds for important games but we struggle to keep them even when successful.

Rovers' average home attendance was higher than Rotherham's over the five seasons both clubs have spent in the Championship.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on December 28, 2021, 10:08:27 am by DonnyOsmond »
it goes back further than that BST, since Darren Moore sodded off the club hasn't had much luck.

We were bottom of the form table before he went.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on December 28, 2021, 10:09:59 am by DearneValleyRover »

We were bottom of the form table before he went.

Probably because he’d already left before he’d left

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on December 28, 2021, 10:10:28 am by Campsall rover »

Rovers' average home attendance was higher than Rotherham's over the five seasons both clubs have spent in the Championship.
I was going to post the same BB  :thumbsup:

Rotherham are not a better supported club than DRFC end of.
Yes they are just at the moment because they are fighting for promotion and imo will win the league.
But history does not support they are either a bigger club than Rovers or a better supported one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012