Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:46:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 6927 times)

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #90 on January 18, 2022, 02:36:19 pm by RugbyRover »
And we could have won a couple of games had we signed quality players and acted super quickly. The board have let the management and supporters down again.

We could have signed prime Stock, Wellens and Coppinger and still been long odds on to go down. That was the reality of the situation, even on January the first. This is now the start of the medium to long term rebuild. Avoiding costly errors that could hinder that is important this month. The quality of players available in the summer will be far better than what is available now.

The damage was done last January, in the summer and then compounded with the chronic injury situation. People losing their head and making more bad decisions now would really put us on the back foot next season.

Another couple of smart additions this window in addition to the drip feeding of players returning could put us in a decent place to build a bit of form in the last 10 or so games of the season. That should then translate into a positive start to the next campaign.

Now that is the best, and more reasonable, approach to the situation we find ourselves in.

We have to fine balance this, because if we go into next season with an overloaded, over expensive, injury laden squad of players then the future of this club could be much worse than we would like it to be. If we have to slash away at a over-bloated budget to get it back on an even keel we could do more harm than we would like to and then have to suffer the consequences.

If we get it right then next season could be very good, get it wrong and we fall away badly.

I agree 100% that we don't want to get overloaded with expensive, injury prone players that would hamper us in L2.

But I thought the plan was to sign very good players on short term deals -  so avoiding this situation?

JM has just signed a deal until the end of the season.

Seems Lincoln have managed to do what we couldn't.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on January 18, 2022, 02:39:53 pm by oggycompton »
People slating Marquis.

We have Hiwula and Doodo up front for gods sake!!!

All this it would cripple us for next year. Hes signed until the end of the season with Lincoln so that argument is invalid much like our CEO.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 18, 2022, 02:46:03 pm by GazLaz »
Marquis would improve us, that is obvious. The chance of him signing a contract with us longer than till the end of the season would be zero. Would there be any value in paying him mega wages till the end of the season when we are 1/33 to get relegated? Probably not. Is there value in Lincoln doing that to try and ensure L1 football for next season when they are in the position they are in? Probably.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on January 18, 2022, 03:26:50 pm by DRFCSouth »
Fair play to Lincoln. They have some ambition.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 18, 2022, 03:43:55 pm by Upton Rover »
Why do certain supporters always go on about past players? They have come and gone, they left for a season so why have them back.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on January 18, 2022, 03:51:57 pm by pib »
Marquis was a great player for us. We got the best out of him, and cashed in. Exactly the way we need to operate going forward. Signing 33yo journeymen or resigning former stars isn’t going to get us back to where we want to be.

This. The mistake with Marquis wasn’t selling him, it was failing to find the next John Marquis to develop and sell on.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on January 18, 2022, 03:56:37 pm by Cramby10 »
Why do certain supporters always go on about past players? They have come and gone, they left for a season so why have them back.
In John Marquis’ 3 seasons here he scored 26, 15 and 26 goals in each season and played nearly 50 plus games per season whilst running his blood to water. For a bit of perspective I’ve compiled a list of strikers we’ve had and the goals they scored in the 2 and a half seasons since he left.
In no particular order and apologies if I missed any:
Eliot Simoes 0, Ryhaan Tulloch 0, Fej 2,12,0 , Max Watters 0, Alex Kiwomya 0, Niall Ennis 6, Devante Cole 0, Rakish Bingham 2, Kaziah Sterling 1, Alfie May 3, Kwame Thomas 3, Will Longbottom 0, Omar Bogle 2,1 , Tyrese John-Jules 3, Aidan Barlow 1, Joseph Dodoo 5, Jordy Hiwula 1, Thiago Cukur 1, Kieran Agard 0.
Just let that lot sink in. It’s so bleak.
This is why we like ex players, because we know they’re proven.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 18, 2022, 03:57:58 pm by normal rules »

They have Marquis till season end.how is this ambitious? Other than to secure lge one status.
And before you suggest that’s exactly why rovers should have signed him, might I suggest Lincoln are in a slightly diff position to rovers.  More points, a more cohesive team, attracting bigger crowds. Much stronger lge one stability.
Plus, Marquis simply may not have wanted to come back to Rovers. No one has considered that.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on January 18, 2022, 04:01:49 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Marquis never wanted to come he still wants to play L1 football next season
And you know this for sure because…..?

Of course it’s all by the by now but just asking out of interest.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:05:46 pm by Colin C No.3 »

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 18, 2022, 04:03:43 pm by jmt23 »
As I have previously said, replacing what we have sold or let go has been really poor - not just Marquis but Whiteman, James, Copps… it is an ever going list of quality for this level.

You never get it right all the time, and we along with others will find some duffs, but our entire team seems built of them, not just the one or two.
I personally think it will be years without significant funding to get back to the top end of league one, we are so bereft of quality, and the league and finance some teams have is beyond us. That maybe blinkered by our recent form though.
It’s not as if we can just get rid of them at the end of the season either, it has to be done over time.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on January 18, 2022, 04:08:19 pm by Colin C No.3 »

They have Marquis till season end.how is this ambitious? Other than to secure lge one status.
And before you suggest that’s exactly why rovers should have signed him, might I suggest Lincoln are in a slightly diff position to rovers.  More points, a more cohesive team, attracting bigger crowds. Much stronger lge one stability.
Plus, Marquis simply may not have wanted to come back to Rovers. No one has considered that.
Was he asked?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on January 18, 2022, 04:40:34 pm by silent majority »
And we could have won a couple of games had we signed quality players and acted super quickly. The board have let the management and supporters down again.

We could have signed prime Stock, Wellens and Coppinger and still been long odds on to go down. That was the reality of the situation, even on January the first. This is now the start of the medium to long term rebuild. Avoiding costly errors that could hinder that is important this month. The quality of players available in the summer will be far better than what is available now.

The damage was done last January, in the summer and then compounded with the chronic injury situation. People losing their head and making more bad decisions now would really put us on the back foot next season.

Another couple of smart additions this window in addition to the drip feeding of players returning could put us in a decent place to build a bit of form in the last 10 or so games of the season. That should then translate into a positive start to the next campaign.

Now that is the best, and more reasonable, approach to the situation we find ourselves in.

We have to fine balance this, because if we go into next season with an overloaded, over expensive, injury laden squad of players then the future of this club could be much worse than we would like it to be. If we have to slash away at a over-bloated budget to get it back on an even keel we could do more harm than we would like to and then have to suffer the consequences.

If we get it right then next season could be very good, get it wrong and we fall away badly.
this is what you said on January 8th SM:
“Look at it differently.

What would the new manager, and his assistant,  think if we suddenly turned round and said forget all that stuff we told you in the interview, forget everything we asked you about the January window because we've changed our mind?

Until its mathematically impossible there's nothing wrong with trying to salvage our position. If we can finish the season with some momentum and can get the new players fitting in well it will bide well for whatever next season brings.“

A massive difference to this post. I really feel for G Mac.

I don't see the difference at all.

In my second post I was confirming how crucial this window is and that we don't sign players on stupid money to just satisfy the whims of a few supporters.

That doesn't detract from the club still giving GM the best possible chance and signing the players he wants.

Its your interpretation of events that haven't happened yet which seems to be the key.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on January 18, 2022, 04:45:08 pm by danumdon »
Really a pointless post.

The situation we now find ourselves in with the amounts we are prepared to spend this was never on the cards.

The fact he did a sterling job for us in much better times was a bonus that we are never in danger of being able to replicate with the current setup.

Would be just throwing good money away that will be needed to build a side that can be in a position to be competitive next season. Not something that will be easy for us to create.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 18, 2022, 05:04:59 pm by Upton Rover »
Marquis never wanted to come he still wants to play L1 football next season
And you know this for sure because…..?

Of course it’s all by the by now but just asking out of interest.
we never even showed any interest in him, it’s all just because he’s was an x player, lots on here would have many x players back, once they gone that’s it in my eyes, they left the club out of pure greed and that’s it, if they were all like a certain Mr Coppinger then they would not leave in the first place

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on January 18, 2022, 05:06:12 pm by Donnybax »

“Look at it differently.

What would the new manager, and his assistant,  think if we suddenly turned round and said forget all that stuff we told you in the interview, forget everything we asked you about the January window because we've changed our mind?

Until its mathematically impossible there's nothing wrong with trying to salvage our position. If we can finish the season with some momentum and can get the new players fitting in well it will bide well for whatever next season brings.“

In my second post I was confirming how crucial this window is and that we don't sign players on stupid money to just satisfy the whims of a few supporters.

That doesn't detract from the club still giving GM the best possible chance and signing the players he wants.

Its your interpretation of events that haven't happened yet which seems to be the key.

It’s possibly my interpretation, but I don’t think so. I think that post shows a change of thinking that this window is now solely based on planning for league 2. If that is the case I have absolutely no problem with that, it’s sensible.

If we’re talking my interpretation I think players are turning us down left right and centre. It’s easy to read between the lines and say that both Jacobs and JJOT have recently. You also said we’d have 2 in for Cambridge and we don’t so that’s possibly another. My interpretation would also suggest we don’t have a “substantial budget” this January based on the fact G Mac said Downing was of interest but would take up pretty much all of our budget only for him to sign for a club 18th in league 2.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 18, 2022, 05:40:54 pm by silent majority »

“Look at it differently.

It’s possibly my interpretation, but I don’t think so. I think that post shows a change of thinking that this window is now solely based on planning for league 2. If that is the case I have absolutely no problem with that, it’s sensible.

If we’re talking my interpretation I think players are turning us down left right and centre. It’s easy to read between the lines and say that both Jacobs and JJOT have recently. You also said we’d have 2 in for Cambridge and we don’t so that’s possibly another. My interpretation would also suggest we don’t have a “substantial budget” this January based on the fact G Mac said Downing was of interest but would take up pretty much all of our budget only for him to sign for a club 18th in league 2.

There's no change in the thinking. The club desperately want to remain in this division, but as I've already pointed out they won't be playing Russian roulette and sacrificing the club for a possible short term gain. They will however make sensible decisions, and if you look at the JJOT deal maybe that falls into that category.

If you look at my posts there is no contradiction, just two posts talking about the same subject just looked at differently.

The club are very aware how important this window is and that mistakes could have unforeseen consequences. Sunderland and other clubs have managed quite catastrophic collapses through the English leagues in recent years due to mismanagement, my 2nd post should be read using that context.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on January 18, 2022, 05:47:02 pm by Cramby10 »

“Look at it differently.

There's no change in the thinking. The club desperately want to remain in this division, but as I've already pointed out they won't be playing Russian roulette and sacrificing the club for a possible short term gain. They will however make sensible decisions, and if you look at the JJOT deal maybe that falls into that category.

If you look at my posts there is no contradiction, just two posts talking about the same subject just looked at differently.

The club are very aware how important this window is and that mistakes could have unforeseen consequences. Sunderland and other clubs have managed quite catastrophic collapses through the English leagues in recent years due to mismanagement, my 2nd post should be read using that context.

they’ve just signed a 32 year old that hasn’t played a full season since 18/19 though!! Just saying.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on January 18, 2022, 05:54:50 pm by DRFCSouth »

Are you writing a reply for me? Before I suggest?!

It's more ambition than we are showing.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 18, 2022, 06:49:26 pm by Janso »
What happened to the substantial funds available to strengthen the team, that Baldwin mentioned?. Is it substantial compared to Frickley’s budget? .

Aren’t you able to answer the question with you being in the know? You told us with a degree of confidence that we’d be signing Lalkovic, Butler and Green, possibly supplemented with McSheffrey re-registering as a player.

Most of our fans haven’t a clue who is signing, a small number know who were are trying to sign, but love the power of keeping it to themselves. It’s quite pathetic really.
Yeah, how dare they keep information they've likely been given in confidence to themselves! selfish bas**rds.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012