Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 02:22:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: We Haven't  (Read 2708 times)

selby

• VSC Member
We Haven't
« on January 27, 2022, 01:58:58 pm by selby »
  had it so good since the John Ryan a player a day signing spree.
          WELL DONE THE BOARD.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: We Haven't
« Reply #1 on January 27, 2022, 02:02:46 pm by drfchound »
We are probably in the most exciting transfer window for years. 
Hopefully these new players are as good as they appear to be.
Really looking forward to Saturday now.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 27, 2022, 02:29:37 pm by aidanstu »
          WELL DONE THE BOARD.

I remember that; it was brilliant. Not sure it would work now with the social media spoilers

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 27, 2022, 02:30:31 pm by RoversAlias »
The good thing is that we often all sit on here (or Twitter, or say it at games) that we need to sign players in x position, y position, z position.

And in this window, Rovers have gone out and signed all the players that we needed, for the positions we needed. Only maybe one or two more left now but every single signings has been a case of "Good, this is a position we needed to improve and this is the type of player we needed for it".

Great work by GM, GB, GY and DB if they were all involved.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 27, 2022, 02:41:10 pm by ravenrover »
I keep saying it let the people at the top run the club, well done the Board and I'm guessing TB for the extra financial imput

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 27, 2022, 02:46:38 pm by Branton Rover »
It’s the Facebook whippersnappers who are the problem - spouting bile from behind keyboards, turns out we’re shopping in Waitrose not Netto as some would have you believe - I hope after the window slams shut there’s some apologies going in on social media

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 27, 2022, 02:50:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Staying up now would feel like promotion.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 27, 2022, 02:59:21 pm by normal rules »
Unlike the U2 song, I think we may have now found what we have been looking for.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 27, 2022, 04:26:07 pm by PDX_Rover »
We’ve definitely given ourselves a chance.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 27, 2022, 05:18:46 pm by Upton Rover »
Yes well done, hope it’s enough to do magic and keep us up

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 27, 2022, 05:25:07 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Remember when mcsheffry a few weeks ago said we were just looking for 1 or 2, and a lot of us were just fed up, just having new faces in the building brings renewed hope, let’s hope the new lads step up to the plate.

I hope we haven’t left it to late and we can really push on this back end of the season, a tough run of 6/7 fixtures where if we can pick up the odd win and draw will put us in a good position for the last 10 games

Very happy with the business so far now let’s hope it does the job!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 27, 2022, 05:47:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
To be fair, I think it was always part of the plan, given that by January, the board knew our cash flow should be much healthier, to have a strong January window to augment what was started in the summer.

What wasn't part of the plan was the continued injury crisis and some of the summer signings proving less than adequate. On top of that you don't plan to be bottom of the league and have to sack your manager.

Once McSheffrey came through as the strongest candidate, it was always a case of getting those players in key positions with the funding that was already there.

Did we get all our first choices? No. Did they plan for plan B etc? Yes. Did they feel pressured into rushing any of the signings? No.

There's still time in the window with a couple of deals that we moved on from still a possibility IF the players feel there are no better options however, as we have got the main business done early, it puts us in a much better negotiating position. Of course, we can also look at other possibilities looking at the longer term, especially when you consider we are likely to have some injured players back before the end of the season .

What we do need now of course, is results!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:50:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 27, 2022, 06:24:50 pm by roversdude »
The good thing is that we often all sit on here (or Twitter, or say it at games) that we need to sign players in x position, y position, z position.

And in this window, Rovers have gone out and signed all the players that we needed, for the positions we needed. Only maybe one or two more left now but every single signings has been a case of "Good, this is a position we needed to improve and this is the type of player we needed for it".

Are there any updates planned on the sleepwalking article?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 27, 2022, 11:10:37 pm by RoversAlias »

Are there any updates planned on the sleepwalking article?

I'll be writing a new piece after the window, yes.

I stand by everything in that Sleepwalking article. I think it mostly proved to be true as the first half of the season progressed. Several have brought it up to suggest as much in that time.

You'll only find praise from me for our new signings so far also, but time will tell. If we go down this season as still remains highly likely unfortunately, it will be down to the mistakes made by the club last summer rather than the January business. The best thing they can do now is give us a fighting chance to stay up and, if not, lay the foundation for coming straight back. I feel like both of those things are in motion with the signings so far this month.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 27, 2022, 11:38:17 pm by Drover »
          WELL DONE THE BOARD.

I remember that; it was brilliant. Not sure it would work now with the social media spoilers

Me too,stopping up till midnight waiting for Andy Liney's cryptic clues,I was the first to get the James O'Connor clue.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 28, 2022, 10:49:34 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Still not good enough for the Netto brigade who shout alot but rarely provide any sound alternative other than the 'Brentford model' which they have no real clue about.

The Derby situation highlights the hypocrisies in football, with fans signing petitions to save Derby, protests etc etc, yet, we know once Derby resolves their financial situation, the same fans wanting sympathy will be jumping up and down when they sign their next £m player on inflated wages. Where were their protests when they were creating the problem? 

Barnsley dipped their toes in the water with the buying and selling model. What happened to that? Of course the Netto Brigade don't have the answers to these questions and can only think of benefits but not the consequences.

The players we are signing are hopefully an improvement on the ones they've displaced. It doesn't matter where they've come from, how they got here and how much they cost as it comes down to a manager trying to get the best out what he has at his disposal and finding a blend that gets results more often than not.

Over time the formula hasn't really changed. You get some players on the way up, you get some on their way down and some in the middle who will probably stay at the same level for most of their careers.

It's still all about finding that manager of men who can put all those ingredients together taking calculated risks to improve the flavour.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 28, 2022, 11:09:52 am by since-1969 »
          WELL DONE THE BOARD.
Yes they’ve seen the light after taking the team to the point of ridicule and still not admitting they’re mistakes. Even I’m impressed with our January window let hope it pays dividends!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 28, 2022, 11:13:03 am by roversdude »
RA look forward to reading it, please note I was not criticising your previous work, it was hard to argue against most of it at the time. We do however seem to have heard an alarm going off and woken up, granted at the minute we are still stretching and scratching our balls as we get ready

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 28, 2022, 11:23:35 am by RugbyRover »
Out of all the signings we've made I've been impressed with Martin & Younger.

Out of the others I'd expect some flops (which is normal) so not getting too excited just yet.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 28, 2022, 11:54:48 am by Bessie Red »
Remember when mcsheffry a few weeks ago said we were just looking for 1 or 2, and a lot of us were just fed up, just having new faces in the building brings renewed hope, let’s hope the new lads step up to the plate.

I hope we haven’t left it to late and we can really push on this back end of the season, a tough run of 6/7 fixtures where if we can pick up the odd win and draw will put us in a good position for the last 10 games

Very happy with the business so far now let’s hope it does the job!
If you look at our last 11 games there are alot of points, that with this new squad and returning injured players, which are realistically ours to win. If we can get 7 or 8 points from this tough run coming up we will have a chance of staying up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012