Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:32:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rotherham United  (Read 1453 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Rotherham United
« on February 02, 2022, 12:16:44 am by Draytonian III »
Played very well tonight, the best team I’ve seen this season. I know we were poor, but they were good and perhaps that’s why they are top of the league

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
Re: Rotherham United
« Reply #1 on February 02, 2022, 04:47:40 am by hamiltonrover »
Agreed, yes we were shambolic tonight, however they didn’t give us a second on the ball, were physical in every position, their movements quick and precise, just stronger, quicker, faster and more clinical. For a team in the same league as us, that’s the best performance I think I’ve seen for a long long time.
I said on Twitter earlier, I think even an O’Driscoll Donny team in their pomp would have struggled against that team tonight.
Hate saying all that, but they are leagues ahead of us and that will be the case next season unfortunately.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 02, 2022, 06:59:45 am by roversdude »
Sometimes you just have to turn round and give credit to the opposition. Last night was such a moment. Warne has put an excellent squad together, everyone knows their role, they are quick physical and oozing confidence.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 02, 2022, 08:28:21 am by tommy toes »
Agree with all the above.

We won't meet a side as good as them for a long time and I think it's wrong to judge us too harshly on last night.

There were very good signs that we were improving in the Plymouth game so lets see how we get on in the next few before judging GM and the new players too harshly.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 02, 2022, 08:37:39 am by CJK »
They're a good side, well drilled, very fit, efficient but without being spectacular. They've got a shithouse up front which you need in this league.

We made it slightly easier for them though. Don't forget, this side have very little experience between them. I'm really not sure whether the reset button has been pressed yet, the next few games will tell, although playing Sunderland next, a side we never get anything from normally, doesn't help matters.

I think we've got to find a shape and system that best suits what we've got available at the moment rather than trying to match up other teams.

Lindsey

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 02, 2022, 08:41:47 am by Lindsey »
This was Rovers up until a few years ago. Time for a rebuild from top to bottom.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 02, 2022, 08:49:00 am by jmt23 »
A very big lad upfront, a very big lad at the back( who won every header) and two of the fastest wingers I have seen.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 02, 2022, 08:54:19 am by colincramb »
Agreed, yes we were shambolic tonight, however they didn’t give us a second on the ball, were physical in every position, their movements quick and precise, just stronger, quicker, faster and more clinical. For a team in the same league as us, that’s the best performance I think I’ve seen for a long long time.
I said on Twitter earlier, I think even an O’Driscoll Donny team in their pomp would have struggled against that team tonight.
Hate saying all that, but they are leagues ahead of us and that will be the case next season unfortunately.

Don’t be daft. The SOD team at the height of its powers would comfortably beat that rotherham side. It would have worked out quickly how to play against a team that bases everything it does on physicality for starters. For all the Rotherham love in on here after last night, they have come nowhere near close to achieving what the SOD team did in the championship until we run out of legs.

They are in a purple patch right now and we are in a decline, that’s all

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 02, 2022, 09:00:22 am by The Beast »
A very big lad upfront, a very big lad at the back( who won every header) and two of the fastest wingers I have seen.

That's what you need in this division, our players looked like the out of shape kids at school that don’t get picked until the end in comparison stood next to them, almost looked like two different sub-species of humans.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 02, 2022, 09:37:18 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Reminded me a lot of Wycombe this season. Wycombe went 2 up and just saw the game out with absolute ease without moving out of second gear. That's what i thought Rotherham were going to do but they managed to turn the screw second half and get 5.

I worry that GM (and Wellens before him) think they can still play nice passing football with oompa loompas and still compete, even in League 2.

Rotherham have power, physicality and players to mix it up. Meanwhile, GM keeps signing strikers all of which are of a similar playing profile. None of which score either.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 02, 2022, 10:47:30 am by jmt23 »
CDH- that is not how I see GMc playing at all. I think he wants a fast attacking team, that do not over pass and are more direct.
We have gone pretty much long ball in large parts under GMc. I think in part to help the defence being under instant pressure when playing it out, as we were.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 02, 2022, 01:55:51 pm by Plumbster »
I thought the more direct tactics were a case of fitting the tactics to the personnel we currently have rather than necessarily the long term vision.  Hopefully as the new joiners settle in we will see a bit more football

TinyPortal © 2005-2012