Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:46:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 29673 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: The Great Escape
« Reply #150 on February 16, 2022, 01:14:24 pm by normal rules »
12 yrs ago. Jesus. Seems like yesterday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on February 16, 2022, 02:24:13 pm by ravenrover »
Can we play in blue and white at home? Please?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on February 16, 2022, 06:58:20 pm by scawsby steve »
Would we praise or grumble if we beat Wednesday though? :lol:. Imagine the uproar from their supporters, if little old Donny turned them over!.

We did so in their own back yard 12 years ago to the day. I'd take another overhead kick goal from a centre half on Saturday.

Your figures are out, Pib. It was 9 years ago; 1-0 from a Macheda header.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on February 16, 2022, 07:59:30 pm by pib »
Would we praise or grumble if we beat Wednesday though? :lol:. Imagine the uproar from their supporters, if little old Donny turned them over!.

We did so in their own back yard 12 years ago to the day. I'd take another overhead kick goal from a centre half on Saturday.

Nope, my figures are correct. I’m talking about the 2-0 win in Feb 2010, which was during that terrific Championship season we had under SOD. Elliott Ward scored an overhead kick.

The Macheda one was September 2013.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24184907

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on February 16, 2022, 08:13:21 pm by colincramb »

Nope, my figures are correct. I’m talking about the 2-0 win in Feb 2010, which was during that terrific Championship season we had under SOD. Elliott Ward scored an overhead kick.

The 2-0 away win was one of the finest performances I’ve even seen by a championship team at that level. They literally couldn’t get the ball.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on February 16, 2022, 08:19:28 pm by scawsby steve »

Just a misunderstanding of semantics then. I thought you would have mentioned the most recent one.

Maybe we should have mentioned both results in our posts. After all, the point we're both making is that it's not such a rarity for Rovers to turn the Owls over.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on February 16, 2022, 08:22:48 pm by pib »

Just a misunderstanding of semantics then. I thought you would have mentioned the most recent one.

Maybe we should have mentioned both results in our posts. After all, the point we're both making is that it's not such a rarity for Rovers to turn the Owls over.

But I was making the point that it was 12 years to the day. That was the significance.

Had the 1-0 one been on 16th Feb I’d have mentioned that as well.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on February 16, 2022, 08:27:16 pm by scawsby steve »

But I was making the point that it was 12 years to the day. That was the significance.

Had the 1-0 one been on 16th Feb I’d have mentioned that as well.

Yep. You've nailed it with the last sentence. My perception's getting crap.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on February 16, 2022, 09:42:53 pm by les@donr »
The Great Escape is on :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on February 18, 2022, 12:13:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »

The 2-0 away win was one of the finest performances I’ve even seen by a championship team at that level. They literally couldn’t get the ball.

There was a moment in that match I will remember till my dying day. Bearing in mind we had never beaten them in our previous 131 years of existence.

Coppinger got the ball out on the right wing. He stopped. Two defenders covering him. He bent down and pulled his sock up. Then as he rose, he flicked the ball down the line and skipped away from the two of them.

Johann Cruyff once said that in the World Cup final in 1974, Holland didn't want to beat West Germany. They wanted to humiliate them. But in trying to humiliate them, they forgot to beat them.

That night, we humiliated AND beat Sheffield Weds. The finest performance I suspect I'll ever see from us.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on February 18, 2022, 06:38:17 am by colincramb »
I agree 100%. The greatest ever rovers performance, certainly in my life time.

Am i right in thinking they have only beat us twice in the last 15 years or so? A win at hillsborough in 2008 (1-0 I think?) and then a 2-0 win at Hillsborough this season? Other than that, Rovers have won or drawn all other league fixtures in that time?

Off top of my head

1-0 win at keepmoat in 2009
The 0-2 win in 2010 at pig stye
1-0 win at KM 2011?? Think billy scored?

Sure there’s been another home win and then a draw at said pig stye

Edit

Just checked. From feb 2009 - mar 2014 they lost 5 straight games against us and didn’t score a goal in any of those. Their only solitary win since in the past 13 years came this season. The omens are good!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 06:48:46 am by colincramb »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on February 18, 2022, 10:18:59 am by pib »

There was a moment in that match I will remember till my dying day. Bearing in mind we had never beaten them in our previous 131 years of existence.

Coppinger got the ball out on the right wing. He stopped. Two defenders covering him. He bent down and pulled his sock up. Then as he rose, he flicked the ball down the line and skipped away from the two of them.

Johann Cruyff once said that in the World Cup final in 1974, Holland didn't want to beat West Germany. They wanted to humiliate them. But in trying to humiliate them, they forgot to beat them.

That night, we humiliated AND beat Sheffield Weds. The finest performance I suspect I'll ever see from us.

I remember us getting battered in the first 15 mins of that game. But like you say, for the remaining 75 mins, we toyed with them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on February 18, 2022, 12:24:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Billy Sharp in their penalty area leading up to the second goal. It was like a Benny Hill chase. Every defender trying to get to him. None succeeding.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on February 18, 2022, 12:50:46 pm by MachoMadness »
That was comfortably the best Rovers performance I've ever seen. It was men vs boys, they couldn't get near us. SOD football at its very best. I was lucky enough to be in the Wednesday kop, right behind both the goals. The struggle to stay quiet when that bicycle kick clattered off the bar and went in was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on February 22, 2022, 09:45:24 pm by Silkscarf »
All together now...

Da da da da.....

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on February 22, 2022, 09:48:15 pm by Jonathan »
I feel like I died a thousand deaths watching that. But forget the performance. If we’d played well and lost (as we have done on occasions) nobody would care how we played and we’d all be feeling down tonight. That wasn’t pretty, but the result is the one we needed to keep fighting on. And we keep fighting on.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on February 22, 2022, 09:55:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
That was an atrocious game of football on just about every possible level. What matters though was we won.

Now on to Saturday. This season we have only strung consecutive results together twice - a win and draw, and two draws. We haven’t managed back to back wins for 12 months. We need this on Saturday.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on February 22, 2022, 09:59:33 pm by normal rules »
Win dirty.
Comedy defending tonight.
Rode our luck.
But we will take that won’t we.
Off the plough lane next. The wombles won’t know what hit em.

And the Lincoln lot singing going down last week have a dull  trip back from Bolton tonight. Just 7 points between us now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:15:40 pm by normal rules »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on February 22, 2022, 09:59:57 pm by Jonathan »
That was an atrocious game of football on just about every possible level. What matters though was we won.

Now on to Saturday. This season we have only strung consecutive results together twice - a win and draw, and two draws. We haven’t managed back to back wins for 12 months. We need this on Saturday.

We do. But, as with the last calendar week, 2 wins in 3 games is alright.

Tonight was a real ‘must win’ but in saying that I think many of us overlooked the threat they pose, and despite being awful to watch they really do. It wasn’t pretty but we handled it and won. Onto the next one.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on February 22, 2022, 10:01:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That feels like a moment. Playing that badly and grinding out a win.I hope  I'm not deluding myself, but it felt like a glimpse of belief among the players. A determination to  impose themselves.

Fingers crossed.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on February 22, 2022, 10:15:40 pm by PaulRover08 »
Have I missed something. Was it that bad? Surely a team of giants and long throwers who also got a lot of corners are going to give us some dicey moments.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on February 22, 2022, 10:18:07 pm by Colin C No.3 »
You don’t/can’t play ‘pretty’ against Accy.

What we did tonight was defend like dervishes, scrappy tackles, uNable at times to clear our defensive areas into areas where the midfield or strikers could get hold of & keep the ball.

That wasn’t pretty no. And the remaining games won’t be pretty on the eye either.

Let’s just hope that scrappy, ugly football gets us ‘over the line’.

I’ll settle for that.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on February 22, 2022, 10:30:10 pm by colincramb »
We absolutely had to win that. And we did. I’m not going to comment too much on the quality of our performance because im past bothering about that now. Next 4 games will probably define our season. 3 away games and 1 at home against all the teams around us.

We cannot afford to lose Saturday, goes without saying really. I’d say a minimum of 7 points from the next 4 games to realistically have a chance of staying up. And I think that’s the absolute minimum.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on February 22, 2022, 10:32:52 pm by Campsall rover »
Was not expecting a pretty game against that lot.
No what we got was a gutsy performance and a bit of luck.

All the other results went exactly as we wanted. Now on to the Wombles and if we do the business we are back in business.
It will still be a huge ask but it will give us a serious chance. We simply have to win at Wimbledon.

Well done to the lads tonight we deserved that bit of luck that went our way.
All put a shift in and Mitchell in goal gets better game after game.
Just needs to improve and quicken his distribution.

I am a happy bunny tonight. It feels so good coming home knowing we have 3 points bagged.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:41:37 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on February 22, 2022, 10:44:22 pm by drfchound »
Win dirty.
Comedy defending tonight.
Rode our luck.
But we will take that won’t we.
Off the plough lane next. The wombles won’t know what hit em.

And the Lincoln lot singing going down last week have a dull  trip back from Bolton tonight. Just 7 points between us now.

Lincoln themselves are in the relegation mix now.
It is four from eight IMO to go down.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on February 22, 2022, 10:47:41 pm by drfchound »
Was not expecting a pretty game against that lot.
No what we got was a gutsy performance and a bit of luck.

All the other results went exactly as we wanted. Now on to the Wombles and if we do the business we are back in business.
It will still be a huge ask but it will give us a serious chance. We simply have to win at Wimbledon.

Well done to the lads tonight we deserved that bit of luck that went our way.
All put a shift in and Mitchell in goal gets better game after game.
Just needs to improve and quicken his distribution.

I am a happy bunny tonight. It feels so good coming home knowing we have 3 points bagged.

There were many occasions tonight where Mitchell was looking to get the ball away quickly but most of the time no one was looking to make a run for him to try and hit.
It was noticeable that he was waving his arms at the players in front of him.
One time he even exchanged words with either Sinclair or McSheff about it.
The Accy number nine also blocked him a few times as he tried to get an early kick away from his hands.

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on February 22, 2022, 10:49:17 pm by Redroy »
Really pleased with that second half. Showed what we can do with a bit of composure on the ball and defended decently to say we kept giving so many set pieces away.

Can't f**king wait for Saturday now

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on February 22, 2022, 10:57:25 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Yeah we've played better than that this season and lost. What I do like about us now is how we're willing to defend. Throwing bodies in the way and heads at the ball. Seen a few people on twitter wanting us to drop the 5 at the back but Olowu, Williams and Younger at CB has been a big part of us picking up wins imo. Just need a bit more composure and quality when we have the ball in forward areas and we'll be alright.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on February 22, 2022, 11:37:23 pm by roversdude »
Totally agree you can’t expect a skilful game against Accy, we did what we normally fail to do and ground out a result, points are all that matters

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on February 22, 2022, 11:49:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Far better players in a Rovers shirt have lost to Accrington Stanley.

They may say of our current team 'Who are they?' but there's potential in that squad to milk it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012