Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:15:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Massive win  (Read 9514 times)

CJK

• Forum Member
Re: Massive win
« Reply #60 on February 16, 2022, 08:41:18 am by CJK »
Thought it was a good team performance all things considered. Mitchell was solid enough although the wayward punch early in the first half was concerning. The back line was good enough, the only threat was their right back who looks a prospect. I think it was Younger who whilst grounded, headed it off Marquis' toe end before he could shoot in the first half. Smith's energy in the middle is invaluable at the moment, he really put a shift in. I thought Gardner played well despite a couple of minor mistakes giving the ball away in the first half. Tommy again solid enough, great control to take the ball down and shoot which resulted in the penalty. And although Griffiths was isolated for much of the game, he tried to put himself about.

Most pleasing, we showed a bit of resilience and determination, some really good defending in the first half.

The BIG one now is putting two performances together and getting something on Saturday.

Worth mentioning that the fans who went tonight were very good both in voice and behaviour.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on February 16, 2022, 11:40:04 am by DRFCSouth »
That was a massive win!
Anything on sat is a bonus and then we have a run of games where we can really give ourselves a chance.
Anybody getting on my bus yet?
At the minute the bus is still equipped with a Musta in car radio (a la Only Fools coach scene).

So I'm not getting on that bus yet.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on February 16, 2022, 10:17:01 pm by Lesonthewest »
Dickos stop getting your head in a spin it can’t be healthy, you’re honestly going at fans for nothing. People can be full of praise while still believing the reality is relegation :lol:

Agreed, some posters call it negativity, others call it realism, great win though.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 16, 2022, 11:09:51 pm by dickos1 »
Reality isn’t relegation!
Whats the point in pretending to be a supporter if you don’t think it’s realistic to overcome 6 points in 13 games

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 17, 2022, 07:53:42 am by normal rules »
Whats the point in pretending to be a supporter if you don’t think it’s realistic to overcome 6 points in 13 games

The reality is though that we have get get a lot more than just 6 points in the next 13.  Make it more like 23-25.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on February 17, 2022, 08:06:04 am by colincramb »

Dickos. If it was only 6 points and we’d played the same games then we’d all bite the b*llocks off it. If they win just one of the 2 games in hand, that becomes 9 (10 really with GD). You can understand that, can’t you?

So the absolute best case scenario is that we need to overhaul at least 7 points in 13 games. Can you see why people are leaning more towards the realism of relegation yet?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on February 17, 2022, 08:08:56 am by colincramb »

Dickos. If it was only 6 points and we’d played the same games then we’d all bite the b*llocks off it. If they win just one of the 2 games in hand, that becomes 9 (10 really with GD). You can understand that, can’t you?

So the absolute best case scenario is that we need to overhaul at least 7 points in 13 games. Can you see why people are leaning more towards the realism of relegation yet?

I think you are manipulating the facts to suit your own agenda just a tad, as usual.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on February 17, 2022, 09:09:09 am by dickos1 »
What’s my agenda?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on February 17, 2022, 09:12:34 am by dickos1 »

The reality is though that we have get get a lot more than just 6 points in the next 13.  Make it more like 23-25.

We’ve had 8 really tough games since we recruited well in jan, we’ve played 7 so far and we’ve got 9 points.
If we win sat we’d have got 12 points from 8 games, that form is pretty close to what we need to stay up.
And on paper our fixtures do become easier after Saturday

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 17, 2022, 12:40:59 pm by Jonathan »
What’s my agenda?

Your agenda is hoping for the best from your team, and showing belief and support in those working for it. And for that you should hang your head in shame you deluded fool.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 17, 2022, 12:47:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think it would be a mistake to hang too much on an upcoming ‘easier’ set of fixtures.

As a general point, throughout the entire season we have proved totally incapable of putting together back to back performances, let alone results. More narrowly, worth repeating again that the non-top half fixtures we have coming up, in the reverse of these 8 games we managed 7 points.

We could turn it around, but the story of the season has been an inability to do anything consistently, other than lose and have players out injured, the latter usually with precisely zero communication or hope of return (currently 7 have totally disappeared and looks like Galbraith can be added to that list now).

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on February 17, 2022, 01:02:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

We’ve had 8 really tough games since we recruited well in jan, we’ve played 7 so far and we’ve got 9 points.
If we win sat we’d have got 12 points from 8 games, that form is pretty close to what we need to stay up.
And on paper our fixtures do become easier after Saturday

I'm with you on this one. The only thing that matters is the table after the last game of the season. Form, points per game, historical points tallies count for jot.

Birmingham, the annual escapologolists, have been relegated to League One several times if you noted their league positions up to the final few games. 

Never give up. Did they give up not too long ago when they were dead and buried whilst we were coasting to safety only to find ourselves being relegated by them on the last day in injury time?

Nobody should be criticised for understanding that anything is possible.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on February 17, 2022, 01:18:06 pm by GazLaz »
We may have won a few games but what concerns me going forward is the fact we won them by being far from the best team in each of them. I like to be seeing a bit more performance wise.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on February 17, 2022, 01:23:15 pm by dickos1 »
I think it would be a mistake to hang too much on an upcoming ‘easier’ set of fixtures.

As a general point, throughout the entire season we have proved totally incapable of putting together back to back performances, let alone results. More narrowly, worth repeating again that the non-top half fixtures we have coming up, in the reverse of these 8 games we managed 7 points.

We could turn it around, but the story of the season has been an inability to do anything consistently, other than lose and have players out injured, the latter usually with precisely zero communication or hope of return (currently 7 have totally disappeared and looks like Galbraith can be added to that list now).

I think looking over the entire season is pretty pointless,
We’ve a much better squad now than we’ve had for most of the season, so for me if we’re comparing then we just need to be looking at the last 7 games or so.
If we win every other game we would stay up so getting back to back victories isn’t imperative

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on February 17, 2022, 01:26:32 pm by dickos1 »
We may have won a few games but what concerns me going forward is the fact we won them by being far from the best team in each of them. I like to be seeing a bit more performance wise.

Performance at Sunderland was good,
We’ve also played well in games recently and lost comfortably like Plymouth, Cambridge, even Portsmouth we played well for 40 mins.

We won the title not that long ago by just grinding out victories, can remember going to many places and getting battered but winning 1-0 it’s a decent trait to have

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on February 17, 2022, 01:40:59 pm by GazLaz »

We’ve also played well in games recently and lost comfortably like Plymouth, Cambridge, even Portsmouth we played well for 40 mins.

We won the title not that long ago by just grinding out victories, can remember going to many places and getting battered but winning 1-0 it’s a decent trait to have

Sunderland we’re better than us on the day.

The Plymouth was pretty even.

In the last 8 games we’ve picked up 9 points when our xPts equates to 5.74

We’ve had a decent slice of fortune to pick the points up at the rate we have recently.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on February 17, 2022, 01:59:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

We’ve had a decent slice of fortune to pick the points up at the rate we have recently.

This.

We have got ourselves into a position where there is a tiny chink of light. But it  IS a tiny one. And this is what I meant on Tuesday night when I said another 13 performances like that would see us easily relegated.

Weaker sides do sometimes win football matches. But they don't usually. In the past 8 or 9 games, we have been the better side for 25 minutes against Sunderland and two first halves against Cambridge and Plymouth. Other than that, we have generally been second best, even in games where we have ground out results.

To stay up from where we are, it's likely that we'll need another 20 points from the final 13 games as a minimum, unless 2 from Morecambe, Wimbledon and Fleetwood all have extremely bad run-ins. We won't get close to that based on the performance on Tuesday night, even with the odd ground out win. We need a step change in our ability to control games, or to defend resolutely AND take chances.

It's not impossible, but it is very unlikely.

PS: To explain just how hard our task is, if we do get to 45 points (which I think will give us a stab at salvation) we'll have won 23 points from the final 14 games. That is play-off form for a third of a season. You simply don't do that unless you have the ability to, on a consistent basis, either control games or absorb pressure and hit hard and efficiently. Yes we have improved greatly over the past few weeks, but we are still not showing those qualities in more than brief glimpses. If we CAN get that sort of consistency for the last three months, McSheffrey deserves the freedom of the town.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 02:04:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on February 17, 2022, 02:08:59 pm by GazLaz »

This.

We have got ourselves into a position where there is a tiny chink of light. But it  IS a tiny one. And this is what I meant on Tuesday night when I said another 13 performances like that would see us easily relegated.

Weaker sides do sometimes win football matches. But they don't usually. In the past 8 or 9 games, we have been the better side for 25 minutes against Sunderland and two first halves against Cambridge and Plymouth. Other than that, we have generally been second best, even in games where we have ground out results.

To stay up from where we are, it's likely that we'll need another 20 points from the final 13 games as a minimum, unless 2 from Morecambe, Wimbledon and Fleetwood all have extremely bad run-ins. We won't get close to that based on the performance on Tuesday night, even with the odd ground out win. We need a step change in our ability to control games, or to defend resolutely AND take chances.

The plan is obviously to sit in and counter, BUT have no cohesive plan to actually hit teams on the break. IF we do win it back, we are generally that deep that any controlled build up is difficult.

I think we need to know the times to really squeeze the game, get the back four higher and create more chances for the counter press. Olowu and RoShaun are rapid, not too many forwards at this level could out run them in a foot race.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on February 17, 2022, 02:27:32 pm by Lesonthewest »
We are odds on for relegation! I hope against hope we survive, but I am also realistic. Take that however you want. I will also support the team every step of the way, but again, I am also realistic. Then again, you're good at accusing people of not being real supporters aren't you.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on February 17, 2022, 02:37:37 pm by Lesonthewest »

This.

PS: To explain just how hard our task is, if we do get to 45 points (which I think will give us a stab at salvation) we'll have won 23 points from the final 14 games. That is play-off form for a third of a season. You simply don't do that unless you have the ability to, on a consistent basis, either control games or absorb pressure and hit hard and efficiently. Yes we have improved greatly over the past few weeks, but we are still not showing those qualities in more than brief glimpses. If we CAN get that sort of consistency for the last three months, McSheffrey deserves the freedom of the town.

Now there's a post I find realistic. I'm sure we will all be hoping & supporting that we can do the very unlikely, won't we Dickos.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on February 17, 2022, 03:58:23 pm by colincramb »
What’s my agenda?

Your agenda is hoping for the best from your team, and showing belief and support in those working for it. And for that you should hang your head in shame you deluded fool.

By the same score, anybody who feels we won’t get out of the mess we’ve put ourselves in is made out to be against the club and team. That’s how it feels anyway.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on February 17, 2022, 04:16:05 pm by ravenrover »
I don't get this putting someone down because they are optimistic about us staying up. By all means have your own opinion but why the incessant sniping at an optimist just because he doesn't agree with your own opinion

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on February 17, 2022, 04:30:47 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
The run in for us and other teams around us (up to Lincoln)

Crewe:
Pompey H
Oxford H
Cheltenham A
Wycombe H
Sunderland A
Wigan H
Bolton H
MK Dons A
Fleetwood H
Doncaster A
Wimbledon H
Sheff Wednesday A
Ipswich H
Lincoln A

Games against current top half: 9 (6 H, 3 A)
Games against current bottom half: 5 (2 H, 3 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 28 (2 ppg)

Doncaster:
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington H
Wimbledon A
Cheltenham A
Gillingham H
Fleetwood A
Charlton H
Wycombe A
Crewe H
Bolton H
Shrewsbury A
Burton H
Oxford A

Games against current top half: 5 (3 H, 2 A)
Games against current bottom half: 8 (4 H, 4 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 25 (1.92 ppg)

Gillingham:
Plymouth H
Wimbledon H
Lincoln A
Bolton H
Doncaster A
Charlton A
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington A
Sunderland A
Wycombe H
Cheltenham A
Fleetwood H
Pompey A
Rotherham H

Games against current top half: 7 (5 H, 2 A)
Games against current bottom half: 7 (2 H, 5 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 24 (1.71 ppg)

Morecambe:
Shrewsbury A
Rotherham A
Ipswich H
Plymouth A
Bolton A
Cheltenham H
Wigan A
Oxford H
Burton H
Cambridge A
Charlton A
Pompey H
MK Dons A
Sunderland H

Games against current top half: 10 (5 H, 5 A)
Games against current bottom half: 4 (1 H, 3 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 20 (1.43 ppg)

Wimbledon:
Bolton A
Gillingham A
Doncaster H
Wigan A
Plymouth A
Lincoln H
Cheltenham A
Charlton H
Cambridge H
Sheff Wednesday A
MK Dons H
Crewe A
Wycombe H
Fleetwood A
Accrington H

Games against current top half: 6 (2 H, 4 A)
Games against current bottom half: 9 (5 H, 4 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 19 (1.27 ppg)

Fleetwood:
Lincoln H
Sheff Wednesday H
Pompey A
Wigan A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Burton A
Doncaster H
Wycombe A
Crewe A
Accrington H
Oxford H
Gillingham A
Wimbledon H
Bolton A

Games against current top half: 9 (3 H, 6 A)
Games against current bottom half: 6 (4 H, 2 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 18 (1.2 ppg)

Shrewsbury:
Morecambe H
Pompey H
Burton A
Rotherham H
Cambridge A
Oxford H
Rotherham A
Lincoln H
MK Dons A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Doncaster H
Charlton A
Wigan H

Games against current top half: 9 (5 H, 4 A)
Games against current bottom half: 5 (3 H, 2 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 16 (1.14 ppg)

Lincoln:
Fleetwood A
Bolton A
Gillingham H
Sheff Wednesday H
Ipswich A
Wimbledon A
Rotherham A
Sunderland H
Shrewsbury A
Charlton A
Wigan H
Pompey A
Cheltenham H
Accrington A
Crewe H

Games against current top half: 7 (3 H, 4 A)
Games against current bottom half: 8 (3 H, 5 A)
Points needed to get to 50: 15 (1 ppg)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:38:41 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 17, 2022, 04:50:53 pm by Campsall rover »

This.

Think that sums up the situation very eloquently BST.

If we do escape the drop then GM will have been an inspired choice to be given the managers job. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on February 17, 2022, 05:01:08 pm by Campsall rover »

Crewe:
Pompey H
Oxford H
Cheltenham A
Wycombe H
Sunderland A
Wigan H
Bolton H
MK Dons A
Fleetwood H
Doncaster A
Wimbledon H
Sheff Wednesday A
Ipswich H
Lincoln A

Doncaster:
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington H
Wimbledon A
Cheltenham A
Gillingham H
Fleetwood A
Charlton H
Wycombe A
Crewe H
Bolton H
Shrewsbury A
Burton H
Oxford A

Gillingham:
Plymouth H
Wimbledon H
Lincoln A
Bolton H
Doncaster A
Charlton A
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington A
Sunderland A
Wycombe H
Cheltenham A
Fleetwood H
Pompey A
Rotherham H

Morecambe:
Shrewsbury A
Rotherham A
Ipswich H
Plymouth A
Bolton A
Cheltenham H
Wigan A
Oxford H
Burton H
Cambridge A
Charlton A
Pompey H
MK Dons A
Sunderland H

Wimbledon:
Bolton A
Gillingham A
Doncaster H
Wigan A
Plymouth A
Lincoln H
Cheltenham A
Charlton H
Cambridge H
Sheff Wednesday A
MK Dons H
Crewe A
Wycombe H
Fleetwood A
Accrington H

Fleetwood:
Lincoln H
Sheff Wednesday H
Pompey A
Wigan A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Burton A
Doncaster H
Wycombe A
Crewe A
Accrington H
Oxford H
Gillingham A
Wimbledon H
Bolton A

Shrewsbury:
Morecambe H
Pompey H
Burton A
Rotherham H
Cambridge A
Oxford H
Rotherham A
Lincoln H
MK Dons A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Doncaster H
Charlton A
Wigan H

Lincoln:
Fleetwood A
Bolton A
Gillingham H
Sheff Wednesday H
Ipswich A
Wimbledon A
Rotherham A
Sunderland H
Shrewsbury A
Charlton A
Wigan H
Pompey A
Cheltenham H
Accrington A
Crewe H

So on paper we have the easiest run in from now.  Game not played on paper but looking at those fixtures we do have some hope.
Our games v Wimbledon, Gillingham, Fleetwood, Crewe, Shrewsbury are going to be massive.
We may possibly need to win all those to give ourselves a fighting chance.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on February 17, 2022, 05:14:31 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Crewe:
Pompey H
Oxford H
Cheltenham A
Wycombe H
Sunderland A
Wigan H
Bolton H
MK Dons A
Fleetwood H
Doncaster A
Wimbledon H
Sheff Wednesday A
Ipswich H
Lincoln A

Doncaster:
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington H
Wimbledon A
Cheltenham A
Gillingham H
Fleetwood A
Charlton H
Wycombe A
Crewe H
Bolton H
Shrewsbury A
Burton H
Oxford A

Gillingham:
Plymouth H
Wimbledon H
Lincoln A
Bolton H
Doncaster A
Charlton A
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington A
Sunderland A
Wycombe H
Cheltenham A
Fleetwood H
Pompey A
Rotherham H

Morecambe:
Shrewsbury A
Rotherham A
Ipswich H
Plymouth A
Bolton A
Cheltenham H
Wigan A
Oxford H
Burton H
Cambridge A
Charlton A
Pompey H
MK Dons A
Sunderland H

Wimbledon:
Bolton A
Gillingham A
Doncaster H
Wigan A
Plymouth A
Lincoln H
Cheltenham A
Charlton H
Cambridge H
Sheff Wednesday A
MK Dons H
Crewe A
Wycombe H
Fleetwood A
Accrington H

Fleetwood:
Lincoln H
Sheff Wednesday H
Pompey A
Wigan A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Burton A
Doncaster H
Wycombe A
Crewe A
Accrington H
Oxford H
Gillingham A
Wimbledon H
Bolton A

Shrewsbury:
Morecambe H
Pompey H
Burton A
Rotherham H
Cambridge A
Oxford H
Rotherham A
Lincoln H
MK Dons A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Doncaster H
Charlton A
Wigan H

Lincoln:
Fleetwood A
Bolton A
Gillingham H
Sheff Wednesday H
Ipswich A
Wimbledon A
Rotherham A
Sunderland H
Shrewsbury A
Charlton A
Wigan H
Pompey A
Cheltenham H
Accrington A
Crewe H

If we can get 12 points from our next 6 games it really puts the pressure on other teams going into the final 7 or 8 games as the other teams have tough matches in the period coming up.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on February 17, 2022, 05:15:11 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Crewe:
Pompey H
Oxford H
Cheltenham A
Wycombe H
Sunderland A
Wigan H
Bolton H
MK Dons A
Fleetwood H
Doncaster A
Wimbledon H
Sheff Wednesday A
Ipswich H
Lincoln A

Doncaster:
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington H
Wimbledon A
Cheltenham A
Gillingham H
Fleetwood A
Charlton H
Wycombe A
Crewe H
Bolton H
Shrewsbury A
Burton H
Oxford A

Gillingham:
Plymouth H
Wimbledon H
Lincoln A
Bolton H
Doncaster A
Charlton A
Sheff Wednesday H
Accrington A
Sunderland A
Wycombe H
Cheltenham A
Fleetwood H
Pompey A
Rotherham H

Morecambe:
Shrewsbury A
Rotherham A
Ipswich H
Plymouth A
Bolton A
Cheltenham H
Wigan A
Oxford H
Burton H
Cambridge A
Charlton A
Pompey H
MK Dons A
Sunderland H

Wimbledon:
Bolton A
Gillingham A
Doncaster H
Wigan A
Plymouth A
Lincoln H
Cheltenham A
Charlton H
Cambridge H
Sheff Wednesday A
MK Dons H
Crewe A
Wycombe H
Fleetwood A
Accrington H

Fleetwood:
Lincoln H
Sheff Wednesday H
Pompey A
Wigan A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Burton A
Doncaster H
Wycombe A
Crewe A
Accrington H
Oxford H
Gillingham A
Wimbledon H
Bolton A

Shrewsbury:
Morecambe H
Pompey H
Burton A
Rotherham H
Cambridge A
Oxford H
Rotherham A
Lincoln H
MK Dons A
Ipswich H
Sunderland A
Doncaster H
Charlton A
Wigan H

Lincoln:
Fleetwood A
Bolton A
Gillingham H
Sheff Wednesday H
Ipswich A
Wimbledon A
Rotherham A
Sunderland H
Shrewsbury A
Charlton A
Wigan H
Pompey A
Cheltenham H
Accrington A
Crewe H

If we can get 12 points from our next 6 games it really puts the pressure on other teams going into the final 7 or 8 games as the other teams have tough matches against the top sides in the period coming up.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on February 17, 2022, 06:38:49 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Feels like every time staying up starts getting discussed we are promptly beat 5-0 a couple of times just to put us back in our box.

Great escapes are built on momentum not occasional lucky wins. If we can go on from the Lincoln result and build on it performance wise maybe we have a chance but as others have said unless the performance level improves we aren't going to build the momentum it's just going to be sporadic wins in amongst all the losses. Expect us to stay around about where we are until the end of the season because of the inability to string back to back performances together. The other teams near us will win the occasional game too so without a run of wins we won't move up

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on February 17, 2022, 07:02:52 pm by normal rules »
Win on Draw one from now till season end and we will survive. It’s not too much to ask . Is it ?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on February 17, 2022, 08:06:54 pm by scawsby steve »

No comparison to be made there, Dickos. That team that won the title were light years better than the current side.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012