Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:33:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The thrashing we get  (Read 2525 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
The thrashing we get
« on March 06, 2022, 02:20:22 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
In every run of games we play. How can we go somewhere, look organised, get a result, then just as we think we’ve turned the corner, we get thrashed. Why is this?, fitness, lack of organisation, tactical ineptitude?. I think a combination of all those mentioned.

The lack of marking, not getting close enough to your direct opponent was criminal. It was like a no contact training game, or a testimonial. Not enough nastiness in the side, even though we received a red card. We are too nice.

To allow your opponent twenty one shots on goal, with seven hitting the target, your always going to struggle.
Possession wise much better but we did nothing with it. Just two shots on target.

Mitchell’s positioning for the free kick just gave him too much to do.
Alfie May is now definitely good enough for this level. He reminds me of Freddie Sears the way he plays.
Our defence made it very easy for him though.

I would go with a 4-3-1-2 against Gillingham. I think the comments after this game will be, McSheffrey got it spot on tactically because I see us winning this game.

I would bring Williams back in at centre half. Put Younger at right back for more solidity. Put Knoyle in a holding midfield role alongside Gardner, with Rowe looking to link things up.
I would have Smith in just behind a front two of Griffiths/Odubeko

It’s tempting to put Galbraith in or Martin, but Galbraith hasn’t played for a few games, Martin hasn’t played well.. Knoyle would do some attacking down the right while he has Younger behind him, and also cover in front of the defence. Rowe can tuck in when Jackson attacks. I think Smith would do well in the floating role behind two strikers.

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Younger.                       Jackson

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

Griffiths.        Odubeko

Subs Agard, Dodoo, Martin, Galbraith, Barlow,  Horton, Jones     

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 02:40:15 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
Re: The thrashing we get
« Reply #1 on March 06, 2022, 02:38:48 pm by DRFCSouth »
There seems to be a definite soft underbelly to the team, especially when suffering adversity. Whether it be going a goal down, or a red card.

The results have picked up but the ability to take a real hiding hasn't gone away.

Not controlling the squad over a number of years certainly hasn't helped. Too many loans, too many contracts allowed to run down at the same time and throwing together too many newbies certainly hasn't helped any manager.

The fight we have been putting up recently is good to see. And bodes well for next year if we keep the squad together.

Confidence breeds success, and no matter what players we brought into the mix in January, they were coming into a club on its knees from a confidence perspective.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 06, 2022, 05:50:38 pm by EasyforDennis »
In every run of games we play. How can we go somewhere, look organised, get a result, then just as we think we’ve turned the corner, we get thrashed. Why is this?, fitness, lack of organisation, tactical ineptitude?. I think a combination of all those mentioned.

The lack of marking, not getting close enough to your direct opponent was criminal. It was like a no contact training game, or a testimonial. Not enough nastiness in the side, even though we received a red card. We are too nice.

To allow your opponent twenty one shots on goal, with seven hitting the target, your always going to struggle.
Possession wise much better but we did nothing with it. Just two shots on target.

Alfie May is now definitely good enough for this level. He reminds me of Freddie Sears the way he plays.

I would go with a 4-3-1-2 against Gillingham. I think the comments after this game will be, McSheffrey got it spot on tactically because I see us winning this game.

I would bring Williams back in at centre half. Put Younger at right back for more solidity. Put Knoyle in a holding midfield role alongside Gardner, with Rowe looking to link things up.

It’s tempting to put Galbraith in or Martin, but Galbraith hasn’t played for a few games, Martin hasn’t played well.. Knoyle would do some attacking down the right while he has Younger behind him, and also cover in front of the defence. Rowe can tuck in when Jackson attacks. I think Smith would do well in the floating role behind two strikers.

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

I am not sure you can blame Mitchell's positioning for the first goal. The wall was in the correct position and the keeper was covering the other side of the goal.
It didn't help that nobody in the wall made any attempt to jump and try and deflect the ball.
You also have to give a bit of credit to Alfie May for a very well taken free kick.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 06, 2022, 07:37:10 pm by edlored »
How can you switch to a 4 3 3 a la wellens when we were picking up points playing 5 in midfield is beyond me very nieve

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 06, 2022, 09:02:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The real problem for the first goal was that we were fast a-f**king-sleep for the corner that led to the free kick.

Rank amateurish defending with a total lack of concentration.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 06, 2022, 09:05:20 pm by Ldr »
The real problem for the first goal was that we were fast a-f**king-sleep for the corner that led to the free kick.

Rank amateurish defending with a total lack of concentration.

Completely agree, would you say this means the root of our issues is mental rather than technical?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 06, 2022, 09:09:56 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Our defenders at times don’t see the danger of what’s going to happen next, their instincts are asleep. Cheltenham aren’t a great side but we’ve managed to make them look like a top half side. Seven shots on target, four goals, a good conversion rate.

Alfie May is fantastic to have in a side at this level. You are guaranteed hard work and a good attitude every single game. He pressures the back four and is a decent finisher on top of that. He won’t have an easier time all season to score two goals like he did against us.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 06, 2022, 09:17:53 pm by Retdon1 »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

Knoyle as a holding midfielder and a centre half at right back.... seriously ?? If u wanted to play this formation, your width comes from your full backs. Playing a centre half at RB doesn’t give u that

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 06, 2022, 09:38:17 pm by ravenrover »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

Purely out of interest SCWK, what level of coaching badge did you get up to?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 06, 2022, 09:54:47 pm by drfchound »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

Raven, there are some other posters that you could address the same question to.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 06, 2022, 11:11:55 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

I am not sure you can blame Mitchell's positioning for the first goal. The wall was in the correct position and the keeper was covering the other side of the goal.
It didn't help that nobody in the wall made any attempt to jump and try and deflect the ball.
You also have to give a bit of credit to Alfie May for a very well taken free kick.

As I have just said on another thread you can blame the “wall” which Mitchell expected to protect the right hand side of his goal for just standing there and not bothering to jump! 

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 07, 2022, 12:37:07 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

Why Raven?, I didn’t think you needed qualifications to comment. Let’s just say I’ve done ok if that helps.
On playing Knoyle as a holding midfielder. I would play him inside when defending, and use him for width when going forward. An inverted winger/wing back/ defensive midfielder.
I would do the same with Jackson and Rowe. Obviously you want Rowe getting on the ball more than Jackson, but both have played out on the left.
It would give us a bit more solidity while retaining an attacking threat. It would lead to the opposition for a time not knowing who should be picking up Rowe and Knoyle and the cover is behind them if the ball is lost. I know Knoyle in a midfield role is a touch unorthodox but I think it could work.

Smith I think with his range of passing could provide centrally the quality of ball for the front two.
I’m just thinking out loud, trying to think of ways to be solid but also have a goal threat. The manager is paid to do the job, I’m a supporter that likes problem solving, that’s all.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:43:12 am by Sammy Chung was King »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 07, 2022, 07:28:01 am by graingrover »
That second goal was symptomatic of our lack of awareness of opponents movements ‘Every defender  was ball watching as Williams drifted in behind Koyle unmarked to head home .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 07, 2022, 08:31:16 am by GazLaz »
Knoyle in midfield? Definitely not.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 07, 2022, 08:36:58 am by roversdude »
They are basic errors that are happening every game. The puzzling thing is they have done for the last 18 months, regardless of manager and playing staff

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 07, 2022, 09:33:25 am by ravenrover »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

Why Raven?, I didn’t think you needed qualifications to comment. Let’s just say I’ve done ok if that helps.
On playing Knoyle as a holding midfielder. I would play him inside when defending, and use him for width when going forward. An inverted winger/wing back/ defensive midfielder.
I would do the same with Jackson and Rowe. Obviously you want Rowe getting on the ball more than Jackson, but both have played out on the left.
It would give us a bit more solidity while retaining an attacking threat. It would lead to the opposition for a time not knowing who should be picking up Rowe and Knoyle and the cover is behind them if the ball is lost. I know Knoyle in a midfield role is a touch unorthodox but I think it could work.

Smith I think with his range of passing could provide centrally the quality of ball for the front two.
I’m just thinking out loud, trying to think of ways to be solid but also have a goal threat. The manager is paid to do the job, I’m a supporter that likes problem solving, that’s all.
The Club are obviously missing a trick here with yours and many others tactical genius
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:23:22 pm by ravenrover »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 07, 2022, 09:53:47 am by Filo »
That second goal, two things stand out for me, Tommy Rowe just ambling back when he can see the goal scorer getting into the box, and Knoyle going to mark a player that was already marked

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 07, 2022, 12:25:46 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

The Club are obviously missing a trick here with yours and many others tactical genius

That’s your opinion Raven, and your entitled to it. A few very unwelcoming people on here. Friendliness and manners cost nothing.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 07, 2022, 12:48:35 pm by bpoolrover »
I can't see how we can drop Martin he is one of a couple of players that shows any attacking ambition

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 07, 2022, 02:46:27 pm by ravenrover »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

That’s your opinion Raven, and your entitled to it. A few very unwelcoming people on here. Friendliness and manners cost nothing.
why take Offence, after all it's only a comment

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 07, 2022, 03:07:27 pm by ForsolongaRover »
“The lack of marking, not getting close enough to your direct opponent was criminal. It was like a no contact training game, or a testimonial. Not enough nastiness in the side, even though we received a red card. We are too nice.”

I agree entirely with Sammy C here and teams that work hard do this all the time especially in the PL. Having a man on you as soon as you get the ball severely inhibits anything you do. What it needs and what we lack is the required level of fitness. Some of our players have it, but too few.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 07, 2022, 05:43:44 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Not sure I'd call it nastiness, just basic professionalism to do their job.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 07, 2022, 05:53:23 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

Mitchell

R-Williams.  Olowu

Knoyle. Gardner. Rowe

Smith

why take Offence, after all it's only a comment

I haven’t you’ve been childlike commenting on myself and others being tactical geniuses. If it you enjoy negativity carry on with it.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 07, 2022, 08:47:16 pm by ravenrover »
Stick to your football management games rather than the real thing leave that to the management, after all it's only opinions
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:50:33 pm by ravenrover »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 08, 2022, 12:56:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Yes and your opinion doesn’t matter to me, for it to matter I would have to respect you-I don’t.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 08, 2022, 09:09:49 am by ravenrover »
You've taken an opinion about your opinion far too personally

TinyPortal © 2005-2012