Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:35:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens v McSheffrey  (Read 9603 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Wellens v McSheffrey
« Reply #30 on March 29, 2022, 02:17:13 am by silent majority »
Why would Carsley have been to Cantley Park? He has a job, a more important one than anything to do with Rovers, with England.

It truly was a pathetic turn of events that whole phone call thing.

He certainly has been to Cantley Park and the FA and Gareth Southgate utilise their contract with DRFC as part of his development too.
Haha that will be scrapped soon as we are the worst professional football club team in the country bar scunny, please sm tell the board to at least pull there heads out there ass and assess the mcsheffrey situation it’s becoming untenable

Somebody posts that he wouldn’t have been to Cantley Park, and yet I know different. That’s just my point, there is no need to attack what I’ve written, it’s a simple fact, no more no less.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 29, 2022, 06:28:30 am by Alan Southstand »
‘Part of his development’? - some development!

When will we stop paying lip service to the real needs of the Club?

Utter shambles.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 02, 2022, 05:26:03 pm by ChrisBx »
Well, this is fun.

After 02.04.22:

Wellens: P 26. W 6 (23.1%), D 5 (19.2%), L 15 (57.7%). PPG: 0.88

McSheffrey: P 23. W 5 (21.8%), D 2 (8.7%), L 16 (69.6%) PPG: 0.74

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 02, 2022, 05:44:20 pm by Campsall rover »
Well, this is fun.

After 02.04.22:

GM inherited the mess from RW. So imo GM had an impossible job. If we don’t have a goal scorer or scorers then we won’t win games whoever is the manager. Who was available in January?

But yes we do need an experienced manager and GM is not that man.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 07:56:31 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 02, 2022, 06:26:53 pm by drfchound »
Well, this is fun.

After 02.04.22:

GM inherited the mess from RW. So imo GM had a impossible job. If we don’t have a goal scorer or scorers then we won’t win games whoever is the manager. Who was available in January?

But yes we do need an experienced manager and GM is not that man.

But GM did sign eight players in January, including three “strikers”.
Strangely enough, he did start picking Wellens players ahead of his signings.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 02, 2022, 06:33:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
GM has inherited a mess but he’s not done anything to improve it after bringing in 8 players (many of whom he doesn’t believe are good enough to start!)

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.
And Blunt should probably go.

I’m not in the know but he’s chairman overseeing it all and it’s rubbish. Baldwin brings money in that’s his job so he’s safe imo. Someone has to be responsible don’t they? And if it’s not Blunt what exactly is he doing?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 02, 2022, 06:33:37 pm by swintonrover »
Who was available in January?

John Marquis. But we refused to pay.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 02, 2022, 06:38:16 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
If things were considered bad enough under Wellens that the board felt they had to sack him, then how can they not feel the same way now? The results are now worse, the style of football is worse, and his recruitment in January has turned out to be mostly very poor. There's just no justification for keeping him beyond this season.

Having said that, I do hope we offer him the chance to move back down into the youth setup.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 02, 2022, 06:42:04 pm by scawsby steve »
GM has inherited a mess but he’s not done anything to improve it after bringing in 8 players (many of whom he doesn’t believe are good enough to start!)

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.

I’m not in the know but he’s chairman overseeing it all and it’s rubbish. Baldwin brings money in that’s his job so he’s safe imo. Someone has to be responsible don’t they? And if it’s not Blunt what exactly is he doing?

The problem is, apparently, if Blunt goes, Bramall goes; then we would really be in the sh*t.

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 02, 2022, 06:48:05 pm by Redroy »

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.

Agree with this tbh. In addition to a media ban for Baldwin as the shit he has been spouting this season has just been pissing me off and making it worse...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 06:51:41 pm by Redroy »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 02, 2022, 07:01:04 pm by Lesonthewest »

Another contributory factor to where we are now.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 02, 2022, 09:10:27 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.

The problem is, apparently, if Blunt goes, Bramall goes; then we would really be in the sh*t.

If that’s the case Blunt needs to bring someone in to do his job. TB needs to stay but he has got to see that something is wrong. This isn’t luck or a bad season. Someone has to be accountable.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 02, 2022, 09:45:46 pm by ravenrover »

But, but our useless midfield aren't capable of creating chances, according to some, so what good would signing JM do?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 03, 2022, 08:28:48 am by i_ateallthepies »

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.

But we're now operating sustainably so don't need a financial benefactor... apparently.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 03, 2022, 08:52:19 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.

Indeed but on the same vein its not about just keeping the club going and nothing else else.  That needs to be aligned with success on the pitch. Without success on the pitch the club is worthless and just a venue selling office space, hospitality and car boot sales (ok over simplified but you get the point).

Overall if you're not pushing for on field success then actually what is the point.  The off field business side facilitates the main activity - sport.  One isn't successful without the other.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 03, 2022, 08:57:30 am by Lesonthewest »

But, but our useless midfield aren't capable of creating chances, according to some, so what good would signing JM do?

Yes that's why I mentioned it was a factor,  signing a clearly unfit Clayton was another.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 03, 2022, 09:13:22 am by steve@dcfd »

Yes that's why I mentioned it was a factor,  signing a clearly unfit Clayton was another.
To bring in better would have cost more money. Signing Clayton like a lot of the eight signings in January suited our spending but have proved they were not good enough to take us forward.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 03, 2022, 10:20:52 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
For me, both managers have been hampered by our best players sitting out the majority of the season injured and any manager would struggle with the same situation.

We can debate the recruitment under both managers until the cows come home but the return of Bostock in these last couple of games seems to have made a positive difference, so it's not hard to understand if we had the others available more often, our plight would unlikely be so dire and, there wouldn't have been as much strain on the budget to try and fill those gaping holes. In that better situation it's less likely either manager would be getting dogs abuse for trying to make something out of very little.

I'm neither massively for or against GM,   and I also thought Wellens would have been given longer, but my overriding thought is we can't keep changing managers. We desperately need some stability and a bit more luck on the injury front. Of course, the recruitment becomes more important and less straightforward when we still have a number of players yet to regain fitness going into another season. It's not going to be easy going forward but given our experience recently the decisions should be easier to make.

Our budget should be good enough to compete and compete well in League One however the bottom line is we can't afford to have such a high proportion of it wasted on the injury list.

Stick with GM going into next season.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 03, 2022, 01:54:11 pm by i_ateallthepies »
For me, both managers have been hampered by our best players sitting out the majority of the season injured and any manager would struggle with the same situation.

We can debate the recruitment under both managers until the cows come home but the return of Bostock in these last couple of games seems to have made a positive difference, so it's not hard to understand if we had the others available more often, our plight would unlikely be so dire and, there wouldn't have been as much strain on the budget to try and fill those gaping holes. In that better situation it's less likely either manager would be getting dogs abuse for trying to make something out of very little.

I'm neither massively for or against GM,   and I also thought Wellens would have been given longer, but my overriding thought is we can't keep changing managers. We desperately need some stability and a bit more luck on the injury front. Of course, the recruitment becomes more important and less straightforward when we still have a number of players yet to regain fitness going into another season. It's not going to be easy going forward but given our experience recently the decisions should be easier to make.

Our budget should be good enough to compete and compete well in League One however the bottom line is we can't afford to have such a high proportion of it wasted on the injury list.

Many times in the past we've made signing better than our expectations and who have themselves stated they came because of who the manager was.  Do you suppose the opposite may apply if next season we have the manager who oversaw our abject performances this season which resulted in relegation to Lg2?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 03, 2022, 05:51:55 pm by scawsby steve »

GM has to go.
Younger has to go.

Indeed but on the same vein its not about just keeping the club going and nothing else else.  That needs to be aligned with success on the pitch. Without success on the pitch the club is worthless and just a venue selling office space, hospitality and car boot sales (ok over simplified but you get the point).

Overall if you're not pushing for on field success then actually what is the point.  The off field business side facilitates the main activity - sport.  One isn't successful without the other.

I'm aware of all that, BFYP; I was merely reiterating what Martin told us about the Blunt/Bramall relationship.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 03, 2022, 06:05:20 pm by scawsby steve »

Too many excuses in there, Baz. All clubs have bad injury problems, and it's not as though the injured players are world beaters; very average League 1 players at best.

I agree that we don't want to be sacking managers every few months, but the last 3 managers have been atrocious, resulting in one of the worst seasons in our history.

This situation cannot be allowed to continue.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 03, 2022, 06:57:52 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Why is Blunt so important to Bramall?. He must realise things aren’t working, relationships don’t matter the club does.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 03, 2022, 07:22:55 pm by Lesonthewest »

To bring in better would have cost more money. Signing Clayton like a lot of the eight signings in January suited our spending but have proved they were not good enough to take us forward.

Exactly right, but that's the point, we  didn't push the boat out to sign Marquis, the defender at Pompey, & the ready to go midfielder at Mansfield, (rightly or wrongly as it's not our money), but you get what you pay for. Either the budget, the players brought in, or the management, or all three,
 haven't been good enough to get us out of this mess. All contributing factors as why we are now staring down the barrel of relegation. I sincerely hope things are being sorted behind the scenes because this last 18 months has been horrendous.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 03, 2022, 08:30:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Downing got injured after five games and was out for six weeks. Only just coming back now. O'Toole wouldn't have solved our major problem in that we have a laughable attacking presence with a selection of the worst performing professional forward players in the English game. He'd have slowed us down even more I suspect, were that possible. Marquis could have made a difference but he would have been feeding on absolute scraps. Still, at least his tantrums every couple of minutes might have given those behind him some degree of urgency.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 03, 2022, 08:53:11 pm by DRCraig »
Had high hopes with Wellens. He was rubbish. But he comes across as more positive than the present one.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 03, 2022, 09:03:57 pm by Alan Southstand »
There is absolutely no grounds for GM to be retained as first team manager. He should never have been considered, as we’d been down that road with AB and it should have been the end of that experiment.
I get the need for stability but please get someone that’s going to give us that. There’s ‘dead wood’ right through the Club that’s in desperate need of clearing out (and I’m not just talking the team),
TB has to draw a line under this and start the process now - we need him to be ruthless, even if it’s mates that have to go.
The problems are getting worse and more numerous and it’s time it was sorted.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 04, 2022, 11:38:33 am by ForsolongaRover »
I was in favour of the recruitment process until being manager here stopped being attractive - probably after Moore left and we replaced him with Butler. At that point, instead of the manager choosing Rovers - ie applying for the job - the club (Baldwin) should have gone out and chosen someone suitable. And that individual would be in a position to name his terms.

Anyone surprised that GM was the best candidate should perhaps ask themselves whether the job at a club devoid of promotion ambition would be attractive. They would see what happened last season and then how the club allowed this season’s challenge to become utterly hopeless before Wellens got the sack.

The CEO and Chairman should have selected a suitable successor, preferably someone successfully managing already and be prepared to pay compensation and to meet his salary demands.

The fact that we are authoritatively informed that Wellens and McSheffery are on precisely the same employment terms says it all.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 04, 2022, 12:13:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I was in favour of the recruitment process until being manager here stopped being attractive - probably after Moore left and we replaced him with Butler. At that point, instead of the manager choosing Rovers - ie applying for the job - the club (Baldwin) should have gone out and chosen someone suitable. And that individual would be in a position to name his terms.

Anyone surprised that GM was the best candidate should perhaps ask themselves whether the job at a club devoid of promotion ambition would be attractive. They would see what happened last season and then how the club allowed this season’s challenge to become utterly hopeless before Wellens got the sack.

The CEO and Chairman should have selected a suitable successor, preferably someone successfully managing already and be prepared to pay compensation and to meet his salary demands.

The fact that we are authoritatively informed that Wellens and McSheffery are on precisely the same employment terms says it all.

Take the point but that only works if the chosen successor ends up being a good choice and fit.

Dickov was a chosen candidate in the method used back then and was not at all a good manager.

No method is perfect we see that at so many football clubs.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 04, 2022, 01:00:57 pm by Chris Black come back »
The method used back then was JR deciding and then making the appointment himself?

Worked with Penney and SOD, less so with Wignall and Dickov. Jury out on Saunders and Snodin.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 04, 2022, 02:21:31 pm by Alan Southstand »
Take the point but that only works if the chosen successor ends up being a good choice and fit.

In our case, that’s only half the problem. When we get a half decent manager, we fold at the first bit of interest from another Club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012