Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:01:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: You can sign all the backroom  (Read 6064 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
You can sign all the backroom
« on April 06, 2022, 03:07:26 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Staff you want to, but if you don’t get the main part of the jigsaw right, which is the manager, then none of it will work.
The manager is the main cog that runs the football side of the club.
It’s admirable if the board are trying to improve things throughout the club, but it isn’t exciting news to be recruiting staff from a club worse than ourselves.

Nothing against the guys who are joining they may prove to do a great job.
 The position that interests me is the manager. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear, the club and manager have parted ways before the next game. So a new manager can have a look at what he has for going into next season.

For this board it would be seen as forward thinking. Though he is inexperienced I would take Coppinger as a temporary manager until the summer, if it meant a fresh pair of eyes looking at the squad.
Jack Ross would be even better. The way it looks though is that McSheffrey is building his own backroom staff for next season.
In my opinion make a decision now and move forward, McSheffrey was never going to work and won’t in league two if we end up there.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
Re: You can sign all the backroom
« Reply #1 on April 06, 2022, 04:41:54 am by adamtherover »
if?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 06, 2022, 04:47:55 am by silent majority »
Just complete nonesense.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 06, 2022, 06:08:03 am by anton123 »
Complete nonsense?
It’s a mans own opinion who has took time to write it out and express his thoughts on the situation, good post for me and fully agree with the OP

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 06, 2022, 07:12:25 am by mpc123 »
Just complete nonesense.

Sorry Martin, I don't agree. Now I've never done this. 43 years supporting of the club and the downs we have been on, still love the club. Yet this just seems the worst. There is no improvement on the pitch. The club put money in to get us out of it and appointed GM and signed players in Jan.

It started off looking better, but now it's even worse than it was previous. I now don't enjoy going to games, not because we lose I can take that. Its just aimless football (not sure its in the football bracket). The people I sit with some have supported the club for over 60 years. We all can guess what is going to happen. Someone goes down the wing turns back and it goes back to defense. Then at some point the opposition are going to score. Its gone really bad at a supporter level and there is absolutely no entertainment. On a business level even that is bad.

I've wanted every manager to be successful, with no slagging off as it is just not productive, but it just looks like GM will never work now.

Personally and I say personally as I'm not the one pulling the strings but I would take GM of manager duties and get someone in fingers crossed who could take the last 3 or 4 games so we are not fannying about in the summer again.

If you can't get urgency out if players in the scenario you never will.

Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 07:14:48 am by mpc123 »

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 06, 2022, 07:26:29 am by ctay »
Wow, complete nonsense? Really.

For me GM shouldnt have been given it, and the lack of improvement backs this up. We would have accepted going down with a clear thinking, a weak side who showed improvements and a better tactical approach but Sunderland away a side, it has been dross.  I fear for the amount of meltdowns coming next season with him in charge. Attendances will drop further and the division in the stands will get wider.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 06, 2022, 08:40:50 am by ChrisBx »
Just complete nonesense.

This is complete nonsense.

It's hardly beyond comprehension that a poor head coach/manager consistently making poor fundamental decisions (e.g. team selection) will significantly undermine any good work by other non-playing staff.

It's also not particularly unfair to say that the rumoured recruitment from Scunthorpe is far from inspiring.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 06, 2022, 10:23:31 am by Bessie Red »
Just complete nonesense.

It's hardly beyond comprehension that a poor head coach/manager consistently making poor fundamental decisions (e.g. team selection) will significantly undermine any good work by other non-playing staff.

It's also not particularly unfair to say that the rumoured recruitment from Scunthorpe is far from inspiring.
What rumour is that, there is nothing in the Rumour Mill!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 06, 2022, 10:25:43 am by grayx »
Complete nonsense?
It’s a mans own opinion who has took time to write it out and express his thoughts on the situation, good post for me and fully agree with the OP
Nothing in the post i disagree with tbh.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 06, 2022, 10:27:56 am by ChrisBx »
Just complete nonesense.

I've seen a couple of posts on here suggesting a couple of non-playing staff members will be joining from Scunthorpe in the summer.

I assume that's what the OP was referring to.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 06, 2022, 10:46:47 am by selby »
  It is looking like the die is cast, and we will have to wait until the start of next season to see if we have got it right by building on what we have got on the management side of the club despite the clamour for blood.
  So a couple of months ahead of nashing of teeth looks to be how the summer  months are going to be passed by quite a few posters on here and other media outlets.
  It will be interesting reading if nothing else, and as one great manager said to the news paper hacks, " keep talking about the Arsenal ( in this case Doncaster) even if it's bad, there is nothing like publicity to keep the punters interested".

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 06, 2022, 10:50:57 am by DRCraig »
I agree with the thread starter 100% too.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 06, 2022, 11:17:18 am by selby »
  A long summer ahead then, let's hope Yorkshire cricket do well, just to lighten the mood.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 06, 2022, 11:20:43 am by Alan Southstand »
 Not a long summer at all, Selby, IF the Board change their recent habits and do something pro-active about the situation. Sorting out the appointment of one guy is a start but it’s only a small fraction of what needs to be done.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 06, 2022, 11:22:23 am by Canadian Rover »
With the Rovers not scoring in over half of the league games we have played in I'd say... you can sign all the back room staff you want but if you don't sign good proven strikers and midfielders who can score you'll get nothing.

I pointed out previously the lack of goals from previous seasons from Fej (who now not on the pitch we think of as Messi/Ronaldo) Cukur, Hiwula (1 in 5), Mipo, Vilca, Griffiths, Dodoo - all horrible goals records BEFORE signing.Only Agard,had a good goals record.

Now look at League goals history of the midfielders we've played; I'll not include the likes of Ravenhill as that's unfair; Bostock last scored in the EFL 11 years ago, Galbraith scored 0 in EFL (and only once since) Smith 2 goals in EFL ever, Taylor (Messi MK2 - he has a record of 1 goal every 6.3 games) not bad. Ben Close has a record of 1 in 11 in his career. Josh Martin 1 career goal in senior football, Clayton has a record of 1 in 20.

We have Tommy Rowe with a record of 1 in 7 in EFL by far the best player for us, yet we signed him as a left back.

Our team didn't have goal scorers.

I'm hoping that Gary Mcsheffrey really does have the potential to be a good manager and the team/players he's had to work with have just been flops. If that's the case then our whole recruitment strategy needs to change. This team even with Close, Bostock, Fej, Taylor fit all season still wouldn't have had enough goals in it (in my opinion) and certainly not one capable pushing for playoffs as expected.

So the back room recruitment may well improve. But it's the players on the pitch that need to improve the most and that starts by not signing shite or unproven players.

Our hopes are placed upon PREMIER league players like Mipo, Vilca, Cukur, Martin, Smith & Galbraith...they aren't premier league players they are youth players who truthfully we put too much pressure on. No wonder Mipo has struggled mentally.

So if Mcsheffrey is the man he needs to be given a good budget and sign proven goal scorers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 06, 2022, 11:29:48 am by GazLaz »
The opening post is pretty much nonsense.

If you only ever listen to one thing I ever say again it’s the fact that managers/ coaches, over a sustained period of time, have less impact on results that is the common conception throughout football. Especially amongst fans. That’s not my opinion, it’s absolute fact. What happens behind the scenes had more of an affect and obviously the quality of the players available is the biggest factor  (obviously a link here to the quality of decision making behind the scenes).

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 06, 2022, 11:31:22 am by Alan Southstand »
And that costs money, CR.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 06, 2022, 11:50:05 am by selby »
  I don't think the powers that be quite think along the same lines as you do Alan as to what they are going to do.
  And the test of whether they are right will only come in the future.
  The biggest test will be finances and the popular feeling of what some vocal supporters want to do with the management would cost a lot of money that could well be used better spent on better playing staff, which is the centre of all our problems because it is not fit for purpose in my opinion and a big clear out of poor playing staff is required, and replaced with better players.
  That to me would be putting any  money we have to better use than giving substantial amounts away to people who have basically had no chance of proving their managerial skills because of the lack of ability in the playing staff.
  I am not tarring all the players with the same brush, some are good young players with a future in the game, we need to try and sign the best and dump the rest and add all round class with new signings, then I will judge the   management team. What I am against is just paying people off when other parts of the club are not good enough and put that money to better use, and give them a chance to do well.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 06, 2022, 11:52:58 am by Copps is Magic »
It's clear now with this new position we don't have a 'manager' at the club, we have a coach, with nearly every non-coaching role taken out of his hands and the responsibility of someone else (or to be).

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 06, 2022, 12:01:37 pm by Bezza »
Seems right to me what Sammy is saying,

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 06, 2022, 12:02:59 pm by Canadian Rover »
And that costs money, CR.

Or can make you money.

Like Mills, Sharp, Whiteman and Marquis from transfer fees.

Also goals = points and performances = prizes.

Prize Money, Season Tickets more advertising revenues from companies wishing to be associated with the club and players...take a look at the players at DRFC and just how many are now sponsored. We have decreased revenue streams directly related to the football side of the club (this is my assumption and maybe wrong).

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 06, 2022, 12:31:27 pm by steve@dcfd »
Looking at the job spec for the new head of operations being accountable for all football operations even the manager. Who did we expect to get ? This job if it answers the job spec will cost money. Who at the club as the skill set and managerial experience ( not football manager) to oversee all the aspects the club is asking for. This job if all the points on the spec are ticked is the biggest job at the football club on the footballing side. We are asking the person to be accountable for all footballing matters.

The appointment will show if the club bosses understand what is required to fulfill the job they have set out and what lines the powers that be are really thinking they can achieve.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:57:02 pm by steve@dcfd »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 06, 2022, 12:44:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
It is quite remarkable how many times accountable appears in the job spec, as there has been precious little of it from anyone at the Club, particularly on the footballing side. I see that as an admission that the Board have actually realised what a big part of the problem was.

However, it’s not been the only one, as most supporters have worked out.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 06, 2022, 01:26:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We'll have a Head of Football in a few weeks time and they will be in charge of deciding who is manager, just relax and let them come in and do their own job. If they want to keep McSheffrey they might believe that's the right choice long term, even though short term it's a crap product.

Any comments on us taking staff off Scunny and because they're bottom those staff and instantly poor are insane. A football team can get relegated and have players that are better than the overall sum of that team, like with us with Bostock, he's better than League Two. Staff members are similar too, Scunny might have the best data analyst in the world but the worst football team in the world, that doesn't mean we should judge an analyst based on the players technical level on the pitch.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 06, 2022, 02:10:08 pm by Bessie Red »
Just complete nonesense.

I've seen a couple of posts on here suggesting a couple of non-playing staff members will be joining from Scunthorpe in the summer.

I assume that's what the OP was referring to.
Don't recall seeing anything suggesting that and I tend to read most of the posts on here. I'm not saying it hasn't been suggested just that I can recall seeing it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 06, 2022, 02:49:15 pm by silent majority »
Just complete nonesense.

Sorry Martin, I don't agree. Now I've never done this. 43 years supporting of the club and the downs we have been on, still love the club. Yet this just seems the worst. There is no improvement on the pitch. The club put money in to get us out of it and appointed GM and signed players in Jan.

It started off looking better, but now it's even worse than it was previous. I now don't enjoy going to games, not because we lose I can take that. Its just aimless football (not sure its in the football bracket). The people I sit with some have supported the club for over 60 years. We all can guess what is going to happen. Someone goes down the wing turns back and it goes back to defense. Then at some point the opposition are going to score. Its gone really bad at a supporter level and there is absolutely no entertainment. On a business level even that is bad.

I've wanted every manager to be successful, with no slagging off as it is just not productive, but it just looks like GM will never work now.

Personally and I say personally as I'm not the one pulling the strings but I would take GM of manager duties and get someone in fingers crossed who could take the last 3 or 4 games so we are not fannying about in the summer again.

If you can't get urgency out if players in the scenario you never will.

Sorry.

No, I get that. The football this season has been awful, but that's not my point.

The whole basis of Sammy's post is based on nothing but rumour and a failure to acknowledge that the DoF position is not a backroom position as such. He still insists on the manager being the main cog, if he is what's the point of the DoF?

The club have concluded that putting all that responsibility on one pair of shoulders is just too much, and that having a manager as the focal point of the club no longer works. It was apparent, I think, during the Richie Wellens time at the club, whereas he may be good at a number of qualities required he lacked in others. Therefore major changes will happen to ensure that all aspects of a well run football club are covered in the best way possible.

So, for somebody to suggest that its down to the appointment of a manager who then appoints his backroom staff, or that GM is doing this, is a nonsense.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 06, 2022, 03:00:33 pm by LincolnDonny »
Just complete nonesense.

YOU aretotally blinkered.......

I thought you was some sort of go between between owners/managers and supporters?

YOU should see what 99% of us see  surely?

I guess not

Maybe YOU should then call it a day ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 06, 2022, 03:04:06 pm by silent majority »
Just complete nonesense.

I thought you was some sort of go between between owners/managers and supporters?

I guess not

What am I blinkered about?

What can you see that I can't??

Are you sure you're reading my post correctly??

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 06, 2022, 03:12:33 pm by LincolnDonny »
Just complete nonesense.

I guess not

What am I blinkered about?

What can you see that I can't??

Are you sure you're reading my post correctly??

You Wrote "Just complete nonsense"

You did not quote any other post so it was to the start post by sammy chung etc .

How am I reading your post wrong?

1 bloody line............... that said it all !

I see you didnt ANSWER what i wrote though ...........................as I have seen it for a while you are totally Arrogant !

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 06, 2022, 03:14:53 pm by DRFCSouth »
So is the question, does it take two people to do one man's job?

In most other clubs one man, the manager, seems to cope admirably.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012