Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:26:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I know it’s hard to predict  (Read 1453 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
I know it’s hard to predict
« on April 07, 2022, 12:43:57 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
At the moment. Where would you see us finishing in league two if McSheffrey is in charge for the full season?.
Would he fail and it would be a case of again give him time. Or has he got the ability to build his own squad and to get us promoted at the end of the season?.

If we drop into that league, what are your views on him having a successful season. What is his bare minimum that he needs to achieve?.
Do you expect automatic promotion, play offs winner, to just qualify for the playoffs, mid table or just stay up?.
What do you expect from him next season?.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
Re: I know it’s hard to predict
« Reply #1 on April 07, 2022, 12:51:57 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
With the squad we have atm if everyone stayed and the injured lads came back for pre season ready and back fit again we should on paper be winning the league comfortably, especially after a few additions. Unfortunately a lot of the out of contract lads will be leaving and we will still have a few players under contract that aren’t good enough.

I’d say want to see what the squad is like before the first game of next season before predicting anything because it’s very likely it will be a lot different to what we have now but we have to be going for top 7 minimum.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 07, 2022, 12:52:46 pm by DRCraig »
With this Manager I reckon mid table. For me whoever in charge is a failure if we don't come back up. i would accept staying in that division if we played loads of our own kids. We should be above L2 no matter what. I find it hard to accept it tbh. But will be there, of course.

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 07, 2022, 12:59:25 pm by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
Expect automatic full stop.
With GMC bottom third.
He has to go.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 07, 2022, 01:51:34 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
We can’t just be expecting to go straight back up automatically, a lot of teams have gone down a league and expected to just win the league, most teams are still trying to get out of that league after 2-3 years (Sunderland, Ipswich, bradford etc.)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 07, 2022, 02:02:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
We’d be hugely disappointing if we don’t make or at least be in very close contention for, the play offs in League Two. Mid table would be probably our lowest point since 1997/98. Perhaps factoring in the budget only the Wignall season would be worse.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 07, 2022, 02:18:04 pm by keith79 »
Champions fella. Champions

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 07, 2022, 02:20:33 pm by Michael Shaw »
Maybe it’s Covid, but something has taken the wind and ambition out of the board, clearly seen by the appointment of Wellens and McSheffrey.
If we start next season with McSheffrey at the helm and the majority of the current squad we will probably finish mid-table or just above.
If the board still have any ambition in them we should be looking for a new manager in May to build a new team and maybe get back up to league one. We will know by the end of May whether this club will be worth wasting time on.
If we get a new manager hopefully the club won’t tie his hands too much and allow him to manage.
If McSheffrey is still here I won’t bother following a single game as there are other things to do in life.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 07, 2022, 02:21:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
First it will be what budget is set  I expect it to be one of the best in league 2.
Second what players we sign we need to head hunt some.
Third the reaction to the head of football and new staff.
If those criteria are met then GMC does not have any excuses he must be in the top 3/4 from the start of the season. If he fails to get performances and results then January will be to late.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 07, 2022, 02:28:59 pm by Michael Shaw »
Even the best budget in League two can be wasted by a manager who doesn't know what he is doing. I don't believe we have the 23rd worst budget in league one, but that's where we have been all season.
And I don't want to hear more constant excuses, I want to see us ruthless and win, win, win.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 07, 2022, 02:42:30 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s about using what funds you have well. I wish I had confidence in the board ,and present manager but I don’t . I see the funding being reduced if we drop a league, which will see us with a top ten/five budget.

Players coming in want to see ambition to get out of that league. The wages offered would need to be good to get the edge on other clubs.
Relegation is fine if you use it to regroup and strengthen.

It might be a rest from losing every week, which should never have been the case. The club should be at least a top ten club in league one with the basics we have. The team hasn’t matched what the club should be, a team pushing for promotion in league one.

We have no god given right to success though. Mistakes were made, we are paying for them now. It would be nice on Saturday to be talking about a win and good performance. I know Crewe are poor as well, but you can only beat what’s in front of you.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 07, 2022, 03:26:00 pm by graingrover »
Be careful not to fall into the syndrome of big clubs going down and forgetting it is about the team not the size of your past glories …Sunderland and Ipswich in League One !

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 07, 2022, 03:41:26 pm by Silkscarf »
If McSheffrey is still here I won’t bother following a single game as there are other things to do in life.

So you are not Rovers till you die then Michael? Fair enough.

Yes, there are other things to do in life. But you can go and do them and also follow your team, come what may, year after year. Supporting your club means through thick and thin. As a lower division club it's mostly thin.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 07, 2022, 05:35:19 pm by Draytonian III »
Well said Silkscarf, I couldn’t agree more, but I bet Michael is first in the queue for tickets if we get a good draw in one of the cups.

Leedsrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 07, 2022, 05:49:55 pm by Leedsrover »
Sammy- If your view is we will only have a top 5/10 budget in League 2 who are the big hitters that will have a bigger budget?
I can see that Bradford, Salford and Bristol Rovers could be similar to us but I don' t see us way down the list as you suggest. 

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 07, 2022, 06:13:09 pm by steve@dcfd »
Even the best budget in League two can be wasted by a manager who doesn't know what he is doing. I don't believe we have the 23rd worst budget in league one, but that's where we have been all season.
And I don't want to hear more constant excuses, I want to see us ruthless and win, win, win.
Michael the new Head of football will be accountable for the players we bring in the summer. If GMC is still here and he believes he will then he be head coach under the new appointment as the job spec reads.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 07, 2022, 06:35:51 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I can't see the budget as being a problem. So many factors involved, the key one for me being team spirit with at least someone coming in who can galvanise that, a mester. That's been missing for a few of seasons, and with Copps leaving it dropped further. I'd expect us to at least get 6th place but fail promotion, I hope we can do better.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 07, 2022, 07:23:45 pm by DRFCSouth »
I'm seeing mid table at best, but more likely bottom third. Based on the current setup.

I see the club remaining loyal to GM as they have bought into his ideas, and don't seem to want to be seen as a sacking club

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 07, 2022, 08:55:46 pm by Branton Red »
18th

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 07, 2022, 09:26:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Too early to say. I think we will be able to sign players to push the auto spots. With Youngers track record that could count for little.

Even if we do get the right players in GM looks like he’ll be a limiting factor on the squad. He might come good but if your asking anyone right now to predict it’ll be hard to foresee a promotion with GM as manager

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 07, 2022, 11:05:34 pm by phil old leake »
From what I’ve read on here from regular attendees I couldn’t see anything above bottom half.

People who report on here seem to think he has no tactical ability and appears unable to change things unfortunately

If that is the case why should anything change in league 2

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 08, 2022, 07:45:31 am by Barmby Rover »
23rd with a weakened squad

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 08, 2022, 08:20:03 am by The Beast »
It’s a complete unknown quantity, obviously some of our better players will be leaving. It’s impossible to predict what our first XI will look like in August. We saw how far off a competitive team we are when we played Mansfield, that’s a while back but I fail to see much improvement.
I’m clinging to the fact that things happen in cycles and things change, by the laws of the universe we can’t carry on being this turgid for much longer, dawn is coming let’s hope it’s not another false one!   :chair:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 08, 2022, 08:40:25 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Sammy- If your view is we will only have a top 5/10 budget in League 2 who are the big hitters that will have a bigger budget?
I can see that Bradford, Salford and Bristol Rovers could be similar to us but I don' t see us way down the list as you suggest.

I think you’re right to be honest, Leeds. Looking at the potential clubs you would expect us to be at least in the top five for budgets, probably top three.
I think the three you mention are probably the others in there. I don’t see those coming down with us, if we go, having much spending power.

Our problem is will it be used well?. Turning a sinking ship around the following season isn’t easy. The stench of defeat sets in and it’s hard to get rid of the smell. That’s why most of those out of contract need to go. We need a new start, with a mix of young something to prove and experienced players.
The manager must have an idea for what he wants from each player, because even though our budget will be good for that league, we won’t be able to have as big a squad.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012