Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:40:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well this has to benefit Us .  (Read 2322 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Well this has to benefit Us .
« on April 07, 2022, 02:38:33 pm by since-1969 »
 We don’t have watch if things are going badly

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pib

• Forum Member
Re: Well this has to benefit Us .
« Reply #1 on April 07, 2022, 03:18:06 pm by pib »
I bet Wycombe fans are looking forward to booking every Monday off work so they can see their matches finish.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 07, 2022, 03:25:49 pm by roversdude »
Someone has listened to our wolf

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 07, 2022, 03:28:10 pm by DMnumber4 »
But on the other hand FIFA is proposing to extend games by 10 minutes...?

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 07, 2022, 05:48:00 pm by Chris the Rover »
Apparently in a 90 minute game, the ball is in play for less than 60 minutes on average. So we may end up actually watching more!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 07, 2022, 05:57:34 pm by tommy toes »
When do I get paid for advocating this every year for the past 20?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 07, 2022, 06:18:10 pm by The Beast »
Americanisation, rhubarb!!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 07, 2022, 06:43:05 pm by tommy toes »
It's not Americanisation.
How many times do you see an away team go one up and spend the rest of the game timewasting to the Nth degree and largely getting away with it.

We pay good money to go and watch games, to be entertained (excepting at the Rovers this year and last) but all this blatant timewasting gets on everybodys
wick.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 07, 2022, 06:56:28 pm by Draytonian III »
It’ll be easier to do in the professional,semi/professional game but somehow I can’t see it catching on lower down the pyramid or Sunday mornings. Imagine a Sunday morning match where no official referee it would lead the to chaos .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 07, 2022, 09:33:47 pm by Donnywolf »
Oh wow ... At long long last

There will still be play acting if a team is under pressure with some players going down to break up play but it won't cost their opponents time

Best thing I look forward to is when the team leading go for the corner to waste time .... and time will be running down but the losing team can foul and stop the clock ... although the leaders would I suppose take it and stay in the corner ( that will need some thought )

But yes the ball is barely in play for 60 minutes and we pay to watch a game not some team running down the clock with the tried and tested methods

Yahoo I say and not before time

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 07, 2022, 09:36:51 pm by Donnywolf »
Apparently in a 90 minute game, the ball is in play for less than 60 minutes on average. So we may end up actually watching more!

Yes ... 54 minutes is the Premier League average

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10220473/Premier-League-time-wasting-worse-Man-City-culpable-Aston-Villa-worst.html

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 07, 2022, 10:57:07 pm by phil old leake »
They could also look at referees implementing the goalkeeper 6 second rule

I don’t know if this is the way forward but it will stop players taking an age to take a throw in and free kicks

It should also put an end to added time

If this is trialled I’d also like to see the game continue after the specified time until a team kills it off

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 08, 2022, 06:01:16 am by Padge_DRFC »
Only a good thing this. Time wasting is the number one destroyer of the game in terms of entertainment other than us being rubbish to watch

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 08, 2022, 07:42:58 am by Barmby Rover »
What sanction will be used for time-wasting when it is not out of play, such as injury breaks, free kicks, penalties etc. If they want more action in the game widen and heighten the goals slightly. From the first time it was invented as a game people's average height has increased by 4-6 inches, goals should be adjusted accordingly to reflect that, plus we would get more goals (probably against Rovers).

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 08, 2022, 08:04:43 am by tommy toes »
Following on from Wolfies post.
Shepharding the ball out of play and keeping it in the corner should be outlawed.
 If a player is making no attempt to play the ball while an opposing player is, then it should be deemed obstruction.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 08, 2022, 11:37:06 am by since-1969 »
So by that it would be in play 30 minutes, or it could  end up  just tossing a coin then going home after the result.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 08, 2022, 12:28:14 pm by VivaRovers »
I used to be dead against this... I'm very much a traditionalist and football has always been a 90 minute game.

But, the more I spend watching the painfully predictable and tedious time-wasting by professional footballers – the goalkeepers moving the goal-kick to the other side of their six yard box, the players taking ages to leave the pitch when subbed, the agonising over where a free-kick or throw-in should be taken, the gathering the whole team as far as possible from halfway to celebrate a goal – the more I'm for it. When those aspects have no impact on the time the ball is in play then the game will be better for it; especially when as spectators we're forking out so much to watch football.

Think about the back-pass rule, and the protests when that was brought in; but it's improved the quality of the game no end, so I think this is the way to go, certainly for the professional game.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 08, 2022, 01:00:09 pm by DMnumber4 »
I used to be dead against this... I'm very much a traditionalist and football has always been a 90 minute game.

But, the more I spend watching the painfully predictable and tedious time-wasting by professional footballers – the goalkeepers moving the goal-kick to the other side of their six yard box, the players taking ages to leave the pitch when subbed, the agonising over where a free-kick or throw-in should be taken, the gathering the whole team as far as possible from halfway to celebrate a goal – the more I'm for it. When those aspects have no impact on the time the ball is in play then the game will be better for it; especially when as spectators we're forking out so much to watch football.

Think about the back-pass rule, and the protests when that was brought in; but it's improved the quality of the game no end, so I think this is the way to go, certainly for the professional game.

Funnily enough, this takes me back to the Brentford game. When all logic dictated to going to the corner to see the game out, what did Rovers do? Instinct took over and they went for broke by scoring one of the most iconic counter attacking goals we will ever witness.

Referees are the enforcers, they should be the ones clamping down on time wasting. Perhaps they could reverse said throw ins / free kicks? Bring a free kick further forward? Punish the captain for offences - a bit draconian but it would soon stop.

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 08, 2022, 01:46:15 pm by ss1953 »
My post from 2020:

There is so much time wasting going on, its tantamount to cheating.

There should an independent time keeper who stops the clock every time the ball is not in play. Then, it doesn't matter how long the cheaters take. Reduce the match to 40 playing minutes per half.

I also think that subs should not be allowed under any circumstances after 75 minutes. They are mainly tactical to breakup the tempo of play.

And finally when a player writhes around in pain from a small touch, the ref should order him off the field and not allow him to return for 10 minutes. This will allow him sufficient time to recover.

Players who simulate, should get an automatic 3 match ban, which goes up for a second offence.

Rant over - I know the FA/FIFA will totally ignore all these suggestions.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 08, 2022, 01:55:09 pm by since-1969 »
If this is allowed to be implemented, the half time pie and a pint will be a swig of water and fart . On the up side  it will mean cheaper season tickets .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 08, 2022, 03:51:33 pm by Donnywolf »
My post from April 2018

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=265945.msg774244#msg774244

I would laugh at how pathetic players behave - they must practise timewasting but its too bloody frustrating

Always laugh when Keeper - on big wages - who is stopping everything misses a ball rolled to him by ball boy.

Give us 30 mins each way please
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 03:53:54 pm by Donnywolf »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 08, 2022, 04:38:00 pm by drfchound »
If this is allowed to be implemented, the half time pie and a pint will be a swig of water and fart . On the up side  it will mean cheaper season tickets .

I’m not sure why you think the half time break would be shorter.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 08, 2022, 07:30:08 pm by normal rules »
Lge 2 next year means we can sit and watch the game with a pint in hand.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 08, 2022, 08:42:54 pm by ravenrover »
Not so sure about that, yet

TinyPortal © 2005-2012