Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:13:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Darragh Mac Anthony- the hard truth  (Read 2632 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Darragh Mac Anthony- the hard truth
« on April 28, 2022, 09:34:04 am by normal rules »
I’ve been critical of macanthony in the past.mainly because of his nefarious business acumen.

But I have to give him credit. This podcast offers clarity and transparency, with detail about players at the club, contracts and fortunes, at a time when he is getting pelters from local media and supporters. Straight talking truths.

I’d love to see this level of communication from our Chairman or perhaps Our new HoF.

S2 Ep28 is well worth a listen.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiY-IK-prb3AhXSSsAKHT_tAbIQFnoECCQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fanchor.fm%2Fdarragh-macanthony&usg=AOvVaw1bQSiGz0XnvSZfCVumCbOV
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 09:36:09 am by normal rules »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Darragh Mac Anthony- the hard truth
« Reply #1 on April 28, 2022, 11:31:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sorry, not able to open on my phone. Can you give us a quick summary?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 28, 2022, 11:44:17 am by steve@dcfd »
Listened to that it’s good to hear an owner come out and explain about how the seasons gone. There biggest problem like ours as been injuries to key players. He’s had stick via tweets for the recruitment and loans. But several players throughout the season being injured in different positions. The good thing he knew every player why they had not played and gave the reasons. He also says they will have a title winning squad come the start of the season from Day 1 in early August.
Now he may be arrogant but he’s come out and explained why relegation as happened. Good on him.

So we are told that the buck stops with Blunt he couldn’t come out and explain why we’ve been relegated he leaves it up to the manager and CEO. We will have a HOF Blunt should be the one explaining now accepting responsibility if he feels he needs to. We can all have our opinions why we are relegated but it would be good to hear from the guy who ultimately is in Charge of the football club. He may believe he is a business man but our business is football and this season we have failed.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 28, 2022, 12:45:07 pm by normal rules »
I wonder if Blunt could come out and talk about every player for rovers with the same level of detail that Macanthony has.
He certainly knows his players. Warts and all. And is not afraid to talk about them.
If I was a posh fan, I’d be pretty happy with this level of engagement and honesty.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 28, 2022, 01:36:41 pm by Chris the Rover »
How is Mr Blunt responsible for so many long term injuries? Or does he double up as fitness coach and physio? Just playing devil’s advocate!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 28, 2022, 01:46:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
Chris he’s not responsible for the long term injuries but MacAnthony knew every player and relayed their injuries and explained who was missing and what young replacements had to play because of it. Now could Mr Blunt do that, could he explain why the TIM left the club having got 22 players here this season. All we do is leave it to the manager. Mr Blunt is his boss so he should know.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 28, 2022, 01:47:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
Have you read something that I havn’t, Chris? I must have missed the part where someone has said he is responsible.

Of course, I understand sarcasm (as you can see) but we’ve been relegated for lots of reasons - long term injuries being just one of them.

Let’s stick to the thread and, I don’t particularly like the guy, but we’ll done to DMcA for coming out and explaining the why’s and wherefore’s of Posh’s relegation. Now, over to Mr Blunt………..

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 28, 2022, 02:38:07 pm by normal rules »
They have clearly been hampered also with key injuries.
They have done their best to plug gaps.
And gave contract extensions to lge one players on promotion. Some of which did not pay off.
It’s very refreshing to hear a chairman talk about his club players like he knows them very personally. This is a chairman fully engaged with his playing staff and manager.
I’d love to hear someone at drfc above manager talk like this. On a reasonably regular basis.
It would be a sure fire way to re connect with the support base.

I love the fact he has justified spending money on five named players, who will all turn out to do a job for them next season, and will be worth more than they paid.something they have always been good at at PUFC.
Speculate to accumulate.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 02:49:17 pm by normal rules »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 28, 2022, 03:09:48 pm by ravenrover »
He knew every player and explained their injuries etc
Has anyone thought as it was an audio podcast that he just might have had a list that he could read from?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 28, 2022, 04:02:34 pm by normal rules »
Perception is key here.
I’ve perceived, rightly or wrongly that there is a chairman here who knows his club and players. And is willing to talk about them. With some transparency.
And accept responsibility for things that have not gone well.
I’d like to hear this from someone at drfc above manager level.
He spoke plainly about sums of money paid for players etc. And his perception about their future value being an asset.
We get constantly told drfc is a well run club.
Let’s talk about it then. And put some figures to it.
It can only do good can’t it?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 28, 2022, 04:46:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I can't say I need Blunt to come out and explain what is blatantly obvious. We know all about our injuries for a start. The club have already taken action to address some of the shortfalls  with a new structure, new staff Inc Copps with the HoF role to oversee all the areas of concern.

I'm not sure what Blunt can say that would be new information although I suspect anything he does say would be treated with scepticism by some of our fans.

That doesn't mean to say there isn't scope for a piece summarising what has been learned and our intentions going forward however, Blunt has never done this in the past.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 28, 2022, 05:18:17 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I can't say I need Blunt to come out and explain what is blatantly obvious. We know all about our injuries for a start. The club have already taken action to address some of the shortfalls  with a new structure, new staff Inc Copps with the HoF role to oversee all the areas of concern.

I'm not sure what Blunt can say that would be new information although I suspect anything he does say would be treated with scepticism by some of our fans.

That doesn't mean to say there isn't scope for a piece summarising what has been learned and our intentions going forward however, Blunt has never done this in the past.

Beg to differ about that, DBR.  We know all too little about our injuries and given what has happened with numerous of our long-term injured this season it appears to me that even those in the club who really should know all about our injuries, actually don't.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 28, 2022, 05:58:19 pm by Lesonthewest »
Would he come out & at least say although we have had a shocking season, what the future plans are & his & the boards vision for the future. It's not just about bouncing back next season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 28, 2022, 06:20:31 pm by Alan Southstand »
DBR, for the position of our new HoF the word ‘accountability’ was mentioned 4 times. The question who has been accountable over the last 18 months remains unanswered!

The very fact you mention Mr Blunt has never come out and talked about the football side and lessons learned, etc, really underlines what has been part of the problem!

There’s supposed to have been a root and branch investigation into all the issues there have been but, as usual, people are left to make their own minds up as to the findings. Here is a chance to put something right that was seriously lacking.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 28, 2022, 06:49:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Would he come out & at least say although we have had a shocking season, what the future plans are & his & the boards vision for the future. It's not just about bouncing back next season.

Yes, I would agree with that once the season has concluded so sometime within the next week would be timely and put a closure on this season.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 28, 2022, 08:58:15 pm by rich1471 »
Know wonder 80 year old Barry Fry is still working on 100k a year ,but the chairman did say with all the grief he is getting he will see if it's best for him to stay on

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 28, 2022, 09:19:23 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I don't need a chair who knows the ins and outs, just someone who holds the business together and has a snall team around them to deal with the football. Copps is surely the spokesperson now, something GMc and RW and previous managers have been dire with - to be fair, it's no more their job than the directors. Gavin should up his gamei n the comms department, but i think JC is our man there, or should be.

But, an overview of recent times is that the wheels fell of the cart, chaos and confusion reigned. Now hopefully we have a glimpse of light whereby there is something actually tangible and wholesome to say.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 28, 2022, 10:09:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
You can’t divorce the two, though. Without football, there isn’t a business! Equally, without a business, there is no football - well there is, but it isn’t professional.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 29, 2022, 12:48:20 am by Campsall rover »
The fact is McAnthony and Blunt are two completely different personalities.
Chalk and cheese.
McAnthony is a very public person and likes to be heard, enjoys media opportunities to have his say and promote his club. John Ryan was similar in that respect and took every opportunity to talk about his club.
Blunt is entirely different animal to those two.
He is a business man and looks after and has the final say on the finances.
Me is not a media person.

Now Copps has got this HoF I would expect him to be the front man regarding media interviews. He has the right personality and will have all the required knowledge on football matters that the supporters will want regular updates on.

So let’s leave DB to get on with what he is good at. Same goes for GB
We now have the person in the position the club has needed for some time.

Let’s move on as we all know what went wrong this season.
Recruitment Recruitment and Recruitment & oh yes long term Injuries to key players also played a major factor.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 29, 2022, 04:43:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
If we were getting good results Mr Blunt wouldn’t even be mentioned. Him coming out and explaining why players are out injured would do nothing. This board is very quiet compared to the way John Ryan did things. You can’t make people be what they are not.

If he did come out talking to the media then some would say, ‘What does a chairman know about football?!.
Our problem is sorting out the squad so that it wins games, all the rest is white noise.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 29, 2022, 03:43:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If we were getting good results Mr Blunt wouldn’t even be mentioned. Him coming out and explaining why players are out injured would do nothing. This board is very quiet compared to the way John Ryan did things. You can’t make people be what they are not.

If he did come out talking to the media then some would say, ‘What does a chairman know about football?!.
Our problem is sorting out the squad so that it wins games, all the rest is white noise.

Nail on head!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 29, 2022, 05:54:30 pm by drfchound »
Copps is HoF now of course and we understand that he has the final say in all football related decisions.
So my question is, can Blunt over rule him and have the ultimate final say?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:39:03 pm by drfchound »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 29, 2022, 07:25:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The only issue that might cause Blunt to say no is if the budget is exceeded. I would be pretty confident if Copps, GMC work within the budget, even if it involves transfer fees, then there's no grounds for objection.

If Copps/GMc identify a special case over and above the budget, then I'm sure they'll put a strong case forward however Blunt might well be within his rights to ask the question if other players should be moved on.

You would hope that working together and frequently updating each other, it wouldn't come to any positions of conflict.

Pure speculation of course.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 29, 2022, 07:51:41 pm by since-1969 »
What sort of budget is required to avoid relegation from L2 .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 29, 2022, 09:42:44 pm by Campsall rover »
What would it take for you to say something positive. Do you have a price? 
It might just be worth us having a wip round.

I take it you are the star turn in your local. Oh what fun.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 30, 2022, 08:07:49 am by i_ateallthepies »
What would it take for you to say something positive. Do you have a price? 
It might just be worth us having a wip round.

I take it you are the star turn in your local. Oh what fun.

It's a silly question, Camps, but only because there is far more to avoiding relegation than just the budget.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 30, 2022, 08:58:03 am by steve@dcfd »

Nail on head!
Sammy Baz we have heard from Gavin in the past what are the objectives for the next season and a summary of the season that pasted. We are told that Gavin does not deal with football matters and the buck stops with Mr Brunt. We have set on HOF but when it comes to the playing budget that decision is made by Mr Blunt. So I don’t expect him to come out and relay all football matters but it would be good to hear how the board have judged the season and why they believe we have been relegated. Also what are their aims for next season for the HOF and manager to follow. We already have the manager talking about contracts and bringing in quality. Yet he is accountable to the HOF now and also Mr Blunt. Therefore again it would be good to hear from Mr Blunt

Changed
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:15:18 am by steve@dcfd »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 30, 2022, 09:02:56 am by Campsall rover »
It’s Blunt Steve.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 30, 2022, 09:13:15 am by Alan Southstand »
The “l” may not be working on his keyboard. :lol: :lol: :lol: