Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:47:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ITEN: Evaluating the Rovers Ranks  (Read 3634 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
ITEN: Evaluating the Rovers Ranks
« on June 08, 2022, 12:08:05 pm by RoversAlias »
Hey folks,

I am writing a two-part feature for my website, IntoTheEmptyNet.com, to kick off the summer: bringing back my Squad Goals series to look at the Rovers squad and identify where we need to strengthen.

Some of this certainly might seem obvious, but in the first piece I have had a look across the whole squad and assessed the 21 first team players that we have contracted for 2022-23. I've done it by position - GK, FB, CB, CM, W, ST - and would be keen to get your thoughts on where we should be prioritising our monies in the transfer window.

You can read it at the following link: https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/squad-goals-part-1-evaluating-rovers-ranks

Part 2 will be out in the coming days, taking a bit of an educated stab at some of the players who might be able to fill the roles we need at the moment. So please do let me know what you think and thanks to all who read and have read the site over the years!

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: ITEN: Evaluating the Rovers Ranks
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2022, 12:39:38 pm by roversdude »
Great write up as per usual
Might be worth including a piece on the changes in the back room staff too as these are vitally important to the success

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2022, 12:46:13 pm by Jonathan »
Well written piece and I agree with pretty much every word in the assessment of where we’re at and what we need. Personally I feel like I’d have liked another experienced keeper to complete with Mitchell (who I agree with your assessment has done well but is not perfect) but, like you say, that looks unlikely with the contract extensions to Jones and Bottomley. Every other priority highlighted in the article is exactly as I see it too.

You’d hope we’ll start to see plenty of incoming action over these coming weeks ahead of starting pre-season training.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2022, 03:56:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Excellent piece.

Of the players we currently have on contract, the one I'm most interested to see at this level is Knoyle.

If we are honest, he was out of his depth defensively last season. Positionally and in terms of awareness of movement round him, he wasn't up to the mark. But he'll be facing much less able attackers next season, and I expect him to be one of our key attacking forces. A bit like Matty Blair the last time we were in L2. Be interesting to see.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 08, 2022, 04:02:17 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Ideally a goalkeeper but isn’t a priority as he seems to have confidence in Mitchell and the back up.
Left back is a priority as Rowe is lost to the midfield when he plays there, Olowu is really a centre back, so we need to sign in this position.
Midfield goal threat and creative player is needed. Maybe a wide player with a threat.
Two strikers who score goals definitely needed.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 08, 2022, 04:53:38 pm by steve@dcfd »
The decision making from GMC and Copps taking up options on Jones and Bottomley is questionable. We needed a better No1 and Mitchell to fight for his place. Before the end of the transfer window will Anderson and Olowu still be at the club. Will Taylor be fit enough to play. Will we see the best out of Close. Then forwards will Dodoo and Hiwula still be here.
Priorities are Left Back, Left Midfield player, central Midfield player and at least one goal scorer. These can be permanent or quality loans. The article is good.
Also Paul Goodwin to question Copps GMC and Eyres next week. Asked to be able to question the owners but that not allowed at this time. So from the 10th we will see which way the club is going

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2022, 04:56:12 pm by roversdude »
Why are you doubting that Anderson and Olowu will still be here ?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2022, 05:08:56 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The decision making from GMC and Copps taking up options on Jones and Bottomley is questionable. We needed a better No1 and Mitchell to fight for his place. Before the end of the transfer window will Anderson and Olowu still be at the club. Will Taylor be fit enough to play. Will we see the best out of Close. Then forwards will Dodoo and Hiwula still be here.
Priorities are Left Back, Left Midfield player, central Midfield player and at least one goal scorer. These can be permanent or quality loans. The article is good.
Also Paul Goodwin to question Copps GMC and Eyres next week. Asked to be able to question the owners but that not allowed at this time. So from the 10th we will see which way the club is going

I think the goalkeeper’s under Mitchell,  have been retained because the budget has to be spent in other areas. Strikers are a massive must. Left back is a problem that needs solving. And the other areas mentioned.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2022, 05:17:44 pm by roversdude »
Was Jones offered a contract or just had a clause invoked?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2022, 06:10:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
Was Jones offered a contract or just had a clause invoked?
As I put their options taken up the club didn’t have to take up that option. I have no evidence about Anderson or Olowu but I do think they might leave but that will be down to the club accepting transfer bids if other clubs want them.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2022, 06:39:26 pm by ncRover »
I think a lot of us share the view that we have previously relied too much on the loan market.

How many loans is too many this year? GmS has said that we will get some.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2022, 06:44:04 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
It depends how far the budget stretches. I don’t mind the maximum loans in that can all start a game. We don’t want ones that don’t contribute and are left on the bench.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2022, 06:47:30 pm by roversdude »
I think loans are part and parcel of the modern game particularly at our level. The problem we had was we had a squad predominately of loanees at the detriment to our own players.
Personally I think would like our own players plus 3 loans

Thanks Steve for clarification

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2022, 07:40:32 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
You have to really be sure when you bring loan players in. The more players not playing leads to disharmony. They have to be better than we can normally afford on our budget .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2022, 08:35:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Absolutely must have - left back, senior central striker

Definitely need - wide player, second senior striker

Nice to have - central midfielder

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2022, 09:08:30 pm by GazLaz »
Excellent piece.

Of the players we currently have on contract, the one I'm most interested to see at this level is Knoyle.

If we are honest, he was out of his depth defensively last season. Positionally and in terms of awareness of movement round him, he wasn't up to the mark. But he'll be facing much less able attackers next season, and I expect him to be one of our key attacking forces. A bit like Matty Blair the last time we were in L2. Be interesting to see.

To be fair to KK he looks much better in the last few games of the season. We had better possession and he was given much more licence to bomb forward. Defensive issues still a concern admittedly.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2022, 09:52:54 pm by essexrover »
Thanks for that RoversAlias, excellent as usual. I look forward to part 2 which hopefully will discuss Hiwula leaving  :)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 09, 2022, 07:56:36 am by Alan Southstand »
Good piece, Aluas.
Jones & Bottomley are 2 very lucky boys in my view as neither good enough. They may become good but it’s a big maybe atm.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 09, 2022, 12:55:51 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Excellent piece Alias  :thumbsup:

Just playing the numbers game for a minute, I think GMc said he wanted a squad of 25 or 26, and he now has 18.

That would suggest 7-8 additions. For me 4 permanent plus 3-4 loans would be good,, and my preference would be permanent for LB, DM, wide player, and striker as many as possible good enough for starting XI, with loans for striker, wide player, LB cover, and one extra if needed to cover for any injuries picked up before the window closes.

All this assumes no departures which would leave room for replacements.   

Good job it is not me making the decisions  :)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 09, 2022, 12:59:11 pm by roversdude »
The transfer window opens tomorrow

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 09, 2022, 05:49:25 pm by bradford exile »
Anyone heard whether Joe Wright comes into any part of any equation at this point Regards Ray

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 10, 2022, 01:32:33 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Yes probably still on the casting couch in the physios room.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 10, 2022, 06:43:17 am by Chris Black come back »
Transfer window open from today. Buckle up!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 10, 2022, 06:22:52 pm by Campsall rover »
Very good summary once again Alias.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 12, 2022, 08:27:56 am by Chris Black come back »

Just playing the numbers game for a minute, I think GMc said he wanted a squad of 25 or 26, and he now has 18.

That would suggest 7-8 additions. For me 4 permanent plus 3-4 loans would be good,, and my preference would be permanent for LB, DM, wide player, and striker as many as possible good enough for starting XI, with loans for striker, wide player, LB cover, and one extra if needed to cover for any injuries picked up before the window closes.

I think I got to a 21 man senior squad, including Bottomley and Faulkner in that. Now we have certainty over Bostock and the others have renewed, the biggest issue is getting the higher earners off the books. You would think Hiwula and Dodoo would probably be moved on, and Agard looks a real lost soul although probably too early to envisage him going. That would give us space to bring in what we really need on permanents (left back, central striker, wide player) and then loans (striker, wide player, midfielder).

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 12, 2022, 09:46:41 am by ncRover »

I think I got to a 21 man senior squad, including Bottomley and Faulkner in that. Now we have certainty over Bostock and the others have renewed, the biggest issue is getting the higher earners off the books. You would think Hiwula and Dodoo would probably be moved on, and Agard looks a real lost soul although probably too early to envisage him going. That would give us space to bring in what we really need on permanents (left back, central striker, wide player) and then loans (striker, wide player, midfielder).

I’m worried about us not being able to clear out the deadwood in attack and having to make do with what we’ve got. Perhaps Dodoo / Hiwula could be loaned out?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 12, 2022, 10:03:51 am by Chris Black come back »
There is at least some interest rumoured in them both, but only for free. I would happily take the hit on them being on frees, to get their good League One wages off the books. Both potentially good players at this level but it isn’t going to work here for them.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 12, 2022, 11:37:38 am by roversdude »
Not sure what Wellens actually said to Hiwula (when he mentioned about being a circus act) but he destroyed him last season - probably needs to move in the best interest of both parties. Dodoo was played out of position he is not a target man particularly a lone forward

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 12, 2022, 01:58:56 pm by Campsall rover »
There is at least some interest rumoured in them both, but only for free. I would happily take the hit on them being on frees, to get their good League One wages off the books. Both potentially good players at this level but it isn’t going to work here for them.
Don’t think Dodoo will be on big wages. It depends what you call big.
I don’t have facts but would expect he was on no more than £1250 a week
Hiwula probably no more than £1750 a week at a guess.

If that was correct then around £3000 between them which if freed up would or at least should get us a very good striker at League 2 level.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 25, 2022, 12:11:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
Anyone heard whether Joe Wright comes into any part of any equation at this point Regards Ray

It’s not looking good for him. He was meant to report for pre-season training for Hearts last week, with a view to impressing and getting a deal. He wasn’t physically ready to start training yet. Not sure whether Hearts are going to leave door open much longer for him. Bizarre he ended up so badly injured with such an innocuous looking incident.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012