Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:49:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Warny  (Read 2155 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Warny
« Reply #1 on July 20, 2022, 11:19:16 am by Dare to dream! »
I like Warne and think he is a good manager but I would never want him to manage us.

The football they play is dire, proper Pulis stuff.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 20, 2022, 11:20:48 am by selby »
  He looks to be getting tired of it all, He could be one of the first to go this season.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 20, 2022, 11:26:23 am by jmt23 »
Some posters should listen to that regarding signings... smaller clubs like Rotherham and us will always struggle to get players in. We are used as safety nets, they will agree verbally, but wait until the last minute to see if something better is there.

Its definitely an honest view on the game, he looks gutted about the result, and paints a pretty good picture of what the season holds for the millers.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 20, 2022, 11:27:25 am by The Dav »
I was just thinking the same Selby, he sounds beaten before the season has started !

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 20, 2022, 12:24:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some posters should listen to that regarding signings... smaller clubs like Rotherham and us will always struggle to get players in. We are used as safety nets, they will agree verbally, but wait until the last minute to see if something better is there.

Its definitely an honest view on the game, he looks gutted about the result, and paints a pretty good picture of what the season holds for the millers.

There's always a bigger fish, or one that thinks it's bigger.

There's nowt between us and Rotherham. Proper community clubs where fans matter. Not flush with finance, good honest owners who need managers and coaches who can be smart with what we have.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 20, 2022, 12:31:07 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Yes this is all true. But we aren’t a smaller club in L2 we should be (and it looks like we are) an attractive club at this level.

Championship we’d  be absolute minnows, L1 we’re middling now we’re not throwing money at it like under SOD.

Let’s now keep putting our club down. We’re a big club at this level let’s believe it.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 20, 2022, 01:37:40 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Tough gig. Feel sorry for the man. Small fish in a big pond. We've been there!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 20, 2022, 01:39:55 pm by RoversAlias »
There are pretty much only a couple of clubs in the world who can't be gazumped on transfers because someone perceived to be better comes in for the player(s) you want.

Rotherham losing out to a League One side for a signing shows this- they're a league above but seen as a smaller team or one likely to lose a lot of games this season. Even Chelsea couldn't keep their best player when Real Madrid came calling.

We'll always be fighting that battle, so we just need to make sure we have a sound strategy for recruiting the right kind of players with the right mentality. Something we are hopefully improving on going forward than we've done in recent seasons.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 20, 2022, 01:49:51 pm by colincramb »
I like Warne and think he is a good manager but I would never want him to manage us.

You say that, but it’s got them 2 promotions in 3 seasons. We haven’t exactly played an awe inspiring style over the past few years, have we? Yet they are in the championship and we are languishing in league 2.

I know who I would rather have had in charge in the last few years.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 20, 2022, 02:03:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

You say that, but it’s got them 2 promotions in 3 seasons. We haven’t exactly played an awe inspiring style over the past few years, have we? Yet they are in the championship and we are languishing in league 2.

Had McCann stayed and Warne got head hunted  the teams fortunes could easily be opposite.

The play off semi defeat hurt us.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 20, 2022, 02:04:23 pm by roversdude »
Stats are great - they’ve also had 3 relegations in the last 6 seasons

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 20, 2022, 04:18:37 pm by colincramb »

Had McCann stayed and Warne got head hunted  the teams fortunes could easily be opposite.

The play off semi defeat hurt us.

Lots of possible outcomes there, no of which came remotely close to occurring. Listen, I’m not saying warne is some kind of genius, he clearly isn’t. But what he is, is very good at putting an effective team together that all know their functions and roles and that plays football well suited to challenging at the top of league one, most years than not.

McCann could have had that effect with us, we’ll never know. But we were some way short of the leading pack that season by the end of it.

Grumps

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 20, 2022, 05:29:50 pm by Grumps »

To be fair Colin, Warne, and his style, have achieved 3 promotions.  He's taken us back to the Championship at the first time of asking on every occasion under his managerial tenure.  The "style" of football thing is, in my opinion, a bit of a lazy trope.  The football we played when hammering Sunderland and Portsmouth at home and MK Dons away last season was some of the best I've ever seen us play (and I go back to the Ronnie Moore, Tony Towner era in the late 70's/early 80's).  To witness Dan Barlasser (aka the Geordie Pirlo) spraying diagonal passes to the wingers and watch Chiedoze Ogbene in full flight or Shane Ferguson twisting and turning before delivering a cross with pin point accuracy, was a joy to behold. 

But above everything, I just want us to win.  That becomes much harder in the Championship (obviously) but I'll make you one prediction:  When we do win a game in the Championship it is never, EVER, because we have played well.  It's always, of course, because the opposition had an off day.  Or the ref was dodgy.  Or the sun was to bright.  Or .... you get the picture  :P

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 20, 2022, 06:56:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We weren't complaining too much under Saunders when the football was terrible on the whole and we went up as champions.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 20, 2022, 06:58:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

The football they played against us at the KMS last season was glorious. Overwhelmingly athletic, closing us down at speed, then hitting us with superb, quick first time passes to players breaking from everywhere at once.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 20, 2022, 07:55:20 pm by roversdude »
BST got to agree with that, made our team look like their laces were tied together. Credit it where it’s due

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 20, 2022, 08:08:02 pm by RoversAlias »
We weren't complaining too much under Saunders when the football was terrible on the whole and we went up as champions.

On the contrary, plenty were not happy with how we were playing and Saunders left halfway through the season so his terrible football didn't take us up.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 20, 2022, 08:51:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

On the contrary, plenty were not happy with how we were playing and Saunders left halfway through the season so his terrible football didn't take us up.

The football didn't change after Saunders. To be fair i remember grumbling plenty but always been happy with the result. Guess i'm saying results are everything nice football is a bonus

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 20, 2022, 08:57:07 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Good managers can get more out of players, but they do need strikers. Defensively they don’t look good. Midfield is their strength. Still time for signings.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 20, 2022, 09:13:40 pm by IDM »
Quote from: Sammy Chung was King link=topic=285444.msg1172834#msg1172834
Still time for signings.

Indeed.. same for us too.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 20, 2022, 09:21:01 pm by roversdude »
Quote from: Sammy Chung was King link=topic=285444.msg1172834#msg1172834
Still time for signings.

Indeed.. same for us too.

Soon I hope lol

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 20, 2022, 10:28:56 pm by andyst79 »

Remarkable season and fair play to Saunders, I remember coming out of games with a smile on my face thinking how have we won that.  , a never say die attitude, defending for our lives and clinical in front of goal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012