Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:02:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Unusual  (Read 3137 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Unusual
« on July 20, 2022, 08:00:35 pm by Branton Rover »
Gary talking openly to the media about wanting to sign Tomlin - usually nothings said until the signature is on the paperwork - I maybe a mile off wrong but I would think him signing for us are odds for rather than against. Opinions welcome.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Unusual
« Reply #1 on July 20, 2022, 08:57:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Supposedly, we are adrift on wages!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 20, 2022, 09:00:57 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Maxwell gone all quiet. Either it’s been done or he is going to trial with others.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 20, 2022, 09:14:54 pm by mushRTID »
Tomlin appears to in Brighton today so god knows what’s happening.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 21, 2022, 01:55:11 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Crawley is only 22 miles away and they have just signed 3 trialists someone claims they have money to spend and ambition (again) but they are not paying transfer fees. 
Even in bitcoins

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 21, 2022, 06:02:58 am by IDM »
Or he could have been going to watch the euros..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 21, 2022, 07:00:37 am by steve@dcfd »

Crawley is only 22 miles away and they have just signed 3 trialists someone claims they have money to spend and ambition (again) but they are not paying transfer fees. 
Even in bitcoins
None of those Trialists are the players that have trialed with us

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 21, 2022, 07:10:27 am by roversdude »
Another concert this weekend, giving us some more income

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 21, 2022, 07:29:31 am by steve@dcfd »
Out of the Trialists then Tomlin as played in most if not all the games if he does not sign having been offered a contract by us the then GMC and Copps have been very naive Will the financial dealings. They should have known what he would accept if we couldn’t get near it they should have moved on sooner. I hope I’m wrong but otherwise it’s been a waste if a trial and a place in the side.
What sort of message does it send out about the club if we don’t sign any of the good Trialists we have/had
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:48:17 am by steve@dcfd »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 21, 2022, 08:30:16 am by Jonathan »
Out of the Trialists then Tomlin as played in most if not all the games if he does not sign having been offered a contract by us the then GMC and Copps have been very naive Will the financial dealings. They should have known what he would accept if we couldn’t get near it they should have moved on sooner. I hope I’m wrong but otherwise it’s been a waste if a trial and a place in the side.
What sort of message does it send out about the club if we don’t sign any of the good Trialists we have/had

I don’t think that’s naivety on the part of GMc / Copps, I think it’s reality. Tomlin knows what we were able to offer (and have offered) and stayed for the trial so we can’t be a million miles out. It’s now down to him. Trials are always a two way thing and I’m not a fan of them. But few would argue from either side of the equation that Tomlin didn’t warrant a trial. His unquestionable ability and track record make him worth looking at, but the stigma (fair or otherwise) about his fitness and attitude make a trial practical. It was the right thing to do and not naive. And given that we’ve determined he’s a good fit we hope he accepts the offer.

I am a bit more perplexed by the left back situation as we’ve known it’s been a priority for coming onto a year. It does feel from the outside like all our hope is now in Maxwell.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 08:41:25 am by Jonathan »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 21, 2022, 09:15:11 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

I don’t think that’s naivety on the part of GMc / Copps, I think it’s reality. Tomlin knows what we were able to offer (and have offered) and stayed for the trial so we can’t be a million miles out. It’s now down to him. Trials are always a two way thing and I’m not a fan of them. But few would argue from either side of the equation that Tomlin didn’t warrant a trial. His unquestionable ability and track record make him worth looking at, but the stigma (fair or otherwise) about his fitness and attitude make a trial practical. It was the right thing to do and not naive. And given that we’ve determined he’s a good fit we hope he accepts the offer.

I am a bit more perplexed by the left back situation as we’ve known it’s been a priority for coming onto a year. It does feel from the outside like all our hope is now in Maxwell.

Spot on Jonathan. What GM has done here is quite smart. He's been totally honest with Tomlin cos he knows he'll have to be managed through the season whilst other players aren't afforded that luxury. Copps had earned the right over many seasons to be afforded that sort of treatment. So this is down to Tomlin deciding whether it's all down to money.

Re the full back. An educated guess says they have other targets in mind who may be with other clubs at the mo, and if the need comes, they have a fair idea they can get their man if they act 'decisively, to coin a phrase before the end of the window, or sooner if necessary.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 21, 2022, 10:49:55 am by steve@dcfd »
The full back is most important we need the player now which will allow Tommy to play further forward and take the pressure off the attacking option. Perhaps Naive was the wrong word but it’s frustrating to see good performances with these players in our side then we can’t sign them. Let’s hope that changes I want the club to be more than competitive this season and to do that we need the right players in the positions required.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 21, 2022, 11:25:56 am by Alan Southstand »
Re the full back. An educated guess says they have other targets in mind who may be with other clubs at the mo, and if the need comes, they have a fair idea they can get their man if they act 'decisively, to coin a phrase before the end of the window, or sooner if necessary.

It’s a theory, DBR, but it’s not ideal. IF you’re right, and it’s still a big if, then it would mean parachuting someone in at the last minute, with no understanding of how we play, who does what etc. And, there’s no guarantee that any other ‘target’ is going to be any better. The advantage Maxwell has, over others, is that he’s had a really good competitive game and gradually warmed to his task.

For me, it was obvious in that Huddersfield game that our players warmed to him, also. Strange decision then to whip him away and move onto something else. Of course, the lad may have had an offer, already, from elsewhere. We could have missed the boat, or we may not have had the chance.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 21, 2022, 12:00:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

It’s a theory, DBR, but it’s not ideal. IF you’re right, and it’s still a big if, then it would mean parachuting someone in at the last minute, with no understanding of how we play, who does what etc. And, there’s no guarantee that any other ‘target’ is going to be any better. The advantage Maxwell has, over others, is that he’s had a really good competitive game and gradually warmed to his task.

For me, it was obvious in that Huddersfield game that our players warmed to him, also. Strange decision then to whip him away and move onto something else. Of course, the lad may have had an offer, already, from elsewhere. We could have missed the boat, or we may not have had the chance.

Sometimes it two or three other parties you're contending with. Host club, player/agent, other interested clubs.

For example. Maxwell does his trial and gets a deal in the bag. Agent says We're not signing owt yet. He puts the word out to other clubs who he knows want a left back like Reading and says, you'd better be quick  Donny are offering X and Rangers want X in compensation. Reading make approach to Rangers who call him back and the negotiations begin. The kid has choices.

It's a parasitic world out there and we can do exactly the same.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 21, 2022, 12:07:06 pm by GazLaz »

What can we learn about LT from a trial though? The club staff knew him, everyone knows what he can do if 100% at it. We can’t tell is the bit we really need to know, will he spend enough time in the pitch this season to warrant a contract. You can be easily trapped by a classy player looking fit and quality in half paced preseason friendlies then him reverting to not being up to the physical demands of first team football when the season starts.

We signed a 32 and a 33yo in January and now want another 33yo. Just pointless for a club our size.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:18:51 pm by GazLaz »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 21, 2022, 12:17:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
We’ve put ourselves in this predicament whether be Maxwell and Rangers compensation and agents we knew this before we invited him.
We know the LT scenario but again we chose to trial him for 4/5 games and training.
If we wanted better than these two or three KH then why trial them. We need players in all those positions. LB priority but we do need other two positions. We are in a position that Tommy Rowe can play all three but not at once he gets injured god forbid and we are snookered.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 21, 2022, 12:28:12 pm by steve@dcfd »

Sometimes it two or three other parties you're contending with. Host club, player/agent, other interested clubs.

For example. Maxwell does his trial and gets a deal in the bag. Agent says We're not signing owt yet. He puts the word out to other clubs who he knows want a left back like Reading and says, you'd better be quick  Donny are offering X and Rangers want X in compensation. Reading make approach to Rangers who call him back and the negotiations begin. The kid has choices.

According to Berkshire and Scottish papers he is going to turn down Reading who are in Financial difficulties to come to us let’s see

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 21, 2022, 12:34:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We’ve put ourselves in this predicament whether be Maxwell and Rangers compensation and agents we knew this before we invited him.
We know the LT scenario but again we chose to trial him for 4/5 games and training.
If we wanted better than these two or three KH then why trial them. We need players in all those positions. LB priority but we do need other two positions. We are in a position that Tommy Rowe can play all three but not at once he gets injured god forbid and we are snookered.

The paramount objective of any football agent is to give his player a choice.

You win some, you lose some. So far, we've won Miller, Molyneux, Biggins and Andrews who probably could have had a choice of loans.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 21, 2022, 12:38:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
I appreciate that also clubs in Scotland want him and Rochdale are said to be interested so we will see how this pans out. I hope we win having seen him against Huddersfield I believe he will become a very good player and I said at the time I believed he was better than the fullbacks we had since Andrew and James

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 21, 2022, 12:38:54 pm by Bessie Red »

According to Berkshire and Scottish papers he is going to turn down Reading who are in Financial difficulties to come to us let’s see

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/20291230.rangers-defender-reading-fc-target-move-elsewhere-reports-suggest/

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 21, 2022, 01:33:25 pm by ncRover »
Great news!

We’re a far more attractive option than Rochdale also.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 21, 2022, 02:00:10 pm by Colin C No.3 »

What can we learn about LT from a trial though? The club staff knew him, everyone knows what he can do if 100% at it. We can’t tell is the bit we really need to know, will he spend enough time in the pitch this season to warrant a contract. You can be easily trapped by a classy player looking fit and quality in half paced preseason friendlies then him reverting to not being up to the physical demands of first team football when the season starts.

We signed a 32 and a 33yo in January and now want another 33yo. Just pointless for a club our size.
Would you welcome Copps into the squad if he suddenly said he’d decided to come out of retirement in order to notch up 700+ appearances for Rovers?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 21, 2022, 02:01:45 pm by roversdude »
Maybe throw in tickets for The Proclaimers as a sweetener lol

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 21, 2022, 02:32:55 pm by Campsall rover »

Would you welcome Copps into the squad if he suddenly said he’d decided to come out of retirement in order to notch up 700+ appearances for Rovers?
If he was 100% match fit and was serious about playing a full season.
But it’s irrelevant, he won’t make a come back now.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 21, 2022, 02:42:19 pm by Campsall rover »
I appreciate that also clubs in Scotland want him and Rochdale are said to be interested so we will see how this pans out. I hope we win having seen him against Huddersfield I believe he will become a very good player and I said at the time I believed he was better than the fullbacks we had since Andrew and James
I think if we get him he may well turn out to be better than Andrew and James not just the most recent ones which he will undoubtably be better than.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 21, 2022, 05:53:34 pm by since-1969 »
Typical .. we make him an offer and so his reps probably then do the rounds of trying to better it !! Shame he would have been a very useful player at this level .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 21, 2022, 07:40:09 pm by dickos1 »
Typical .. we make him an offer and so his reps probably then do the rounds of trying to better it !! Shame he would have been a very useful player at this level .

He will be yeah.

I bet you’re in a right pickle aren’t you with all these good signings we’re making.
What are the board playing at?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 21, 2022, 07:48:04 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Amazing how you can always find a negative

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 21, 2022, 07:55:43 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
For once to be fair to 1969 i see this more as a dig at agents than the club.

Of course people see the poster and read the post in the context of what he's about. Understandable really

TinyPortal © 2005-2012