Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:31:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Bradford City game  (Read 12252 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Bradford City game
« Reply #30 on July 22, 2022, 07:27:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
I get that not every centre back can be Rob Jones but we are absent a leader, organiser and someone who will aggressively take the game to opponents. We had the worst of all worlds last season with disorganisation, timidity and clumsiness.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 22, 2022, 07:45:04 pm by Campsall rover »
I get that not every centre back can be Rob Jones but we are absent a leader, organiser and someone who will aggressively take the game to opponents. We had the worst of all worlds last season with disorganisation, timidity and clumsiness.
We look more organised than last season. Yes i know we have only played friendlies.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 22, 2022, 09:31:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
A lot of that is down two lads sitting in front of the back 4, namely Biggins & Clayton. Big difference!

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 23, 2022, 06:31:21 am by colincramb »
Keeper worries me. Doesn’t command his box at all and not physical enough aerially from what I’ve seen. Distribution also looks poor. Decent shit stopper though if I’m finding a positive

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 23, 2022, 06:51:36 am by turnbull for england »
Keepers confidence will grow this year and performances will be fine. The full squad will be attacking and defending better so there will be less pressure on him. If there's less shots getting through and we are scoring more  the pressure will be totally different

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 23, 2022, 07:28:06 am by Alan Southstand »
A good what stopper, Colin?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 23, 2022, 07:33:48 am by turnbull for england »

Hopefully he'll get the  run in the side

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 23, 2022, 08:10:54 am by Janso »

I hope so. If he lets too many in it'll be diarrhoea.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 23, 2022, 08:12:26 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Always preferred a S.it stirrer to a S.it stopper.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 23, 2022, 10:08:25 am by colincramb »

I hope so. If he lets too many in it'll be diarrhoea.

Hahahaha, just realised this. Gonna leave it as is

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 23, 2022, 12:32:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I get the feeling the defensive squad, that's all of them, are going to be much better coached, prepared and drilled over and over again.

No matter who plays in the back 5 (Inc keeper), they will know their jobs. We hear GMs phrase 'non negotiables'. There are basic defensive non negotiables that Steve Eyre and the staff will drill into them.

It might take time but we should start to see better performances. Don't be surprised to see Olowu and Williams look more assured more composed, aided and abetted by full backs making their life a little easier for them.

Midfield too, banking up out of possession, keeping shape, protecting the back 4 from being pulled out of position. in possession, just give them the ball, always providing a free option for the back 4 and keeper to find with a simple pass.

I think we were sick of seeing no evidence of any improvement from the training pitch. Goalkeeping/defensive coaches going through the motions on a daily basis for far too long.

I think we'll see more attention to detail right across the pitch.

I thought Steve Eyres interview about George Miller explaining the one on one coaching he's getting to work on his weaknesses was interesting.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 23, 2022, 09:20:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
A couple of injury concerns over Tomlin and Molyneux and maybe a tactical tweak depending what GM assesses of Bradford but I think he may go with

Mitchell

Knoyle
Williams
Long (just think he'll get the nod over Olowu who keeps ball watching on crosses losing his man)
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins

Molyneux (if fit)
Rowe
Hurst

Miller

If Tomlins fit, he may favour him in the no 10 role, with Rowe on the left and Hurst on the bench.

From what I gather from the Chesterfield v Bradford game, Chesterfield pressed high.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 23, 2022, 09:43:41 pm by dickos1 »
Can’t see him putting long in yet, he’s had very limited minutes for us.
Think younger will start too

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 23, 2022, 09:57:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can’t see him putting long in yet, he’s had very limited minutes for us.
Think younger will start too

I wouldn't be upset if he stuck with Younger and Olowu really. Just a hunch.

Having listened to Mark Hughes Post match saying they didn't cope with Chesterfields pressing and physicality, I wonder if GM might consider starting with Miller and Andrews up front.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 24, 2022, 07:19:49 am by Alan Southstand »
What has RSW done wrong this pre-season?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 24, 2022, 10:18:31 am by Campsall rover »
Sammy we’ve not m played a three in any preseason. If we did Long is left footed so he would play on the left. GMC said he would be given time then he would play . He might even start tomorrow we will wait and see.
Steve, Olowu is left footed also so if we did play a 3 ( which I don’t think we will ) then Long could well be the central one.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 24, 2022, 10:24:32 am by DonnyOsmond »
Sammy we’ve not m played a three in any preseason. If we did Long is left footed so he would play on the left. GMC said he would be given time then he would play . He might even start tomorrow we will wait and see.
Steve, Olowu is left footed also so if we did play a 3 ( which I don’t think we will ) then Long could well be the central one.

Olowu is predominantly right footed.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 24, 2022, 12:14:53 pm by Campsall rover »

Olowu is predominantly right footed.
I know he can use both but thought he was actually left footed.
If as you say he is right footed then he has got a very accomplished left foot.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 24, 2022, 12:19:08 pm by Campsall rover »
He looks much improved and seems to be taking on the mantle of being the leader at the back.
Doing much more talking in the pre season games. Well the 3 i have seen he has.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on July 24, 2022, 12:29:46 pm by roversdude »
Think he mentioned this in an interview CR, credits Clayton for it

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 24, 2022, 12:38:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He looks much improved and seems to be taking on the mantle of being the leader at the back.
Doing much more talking in the pre season games. Well the 3 i have seen he has.

His pass to Biggins for his goal was a good un' yesterday. Helps when you're given options to pass to.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 24, 2022, 01:30:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
Is Knoyle ready to start? He’s not played much last few games has he? Suspect Younger will be safer fitness option to start next Saturday.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 24, 2022, 02:22:10 pm by selby »
  DonnybazRover, did you actually see Long play yesterday? or is it that he is from another club therefore better than what we already have here.
  Olowu was one of our few successes last season, played well in a poor side and shows lots of promise.  Faulkner who is set for a loan rightly so to get some games under his belt, came into the game just after Long, and both in the game and in the warm down after the game looked yards faster than Long, and didn't miss a thing in the game, as in fairness Long didn't as the game was won and petering out, and not at the level to judge a player to actually start in a league game.
  Long also looked to be behind the majority of players fitness wise which could be because we returned earlier than most teams for preseason training. I hope he does challenge for a starting place, but Williams and Olowu have not played a miss in preseason and should be shoe ins to start after showing their form in the games, Faulkner also has not played a miss in any time he has spent on the field of play and only lacks experience.  Both Olowu and Faulkner will attract other clubs interest if they carry on progressing.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 24, 2022, 02:34:23 pm by bedale rover »
A couple of injury concerns over Tomlin and Molyneux and maybe a tactical tweak depending what GM assesses of Bradford but I think he may go with

Mitchell

Knoyle
Williams
Long (just think he'll get the nod over Olowu who keeps ball watching on crosses losing his man)
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins

Molyneux (if fit)
Rowe
Hurst

Miller

If Tomlins fit, he may favour him in the no 10 role, with Rowe on the left and Hurst on the bench.

From what I gather from the Chesterfield v Bradford game, Chesterfield pressed high.

Mitchell

Knoyle
Williams
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins

Molyneux (if fit)
Rowe
Hurst

Miller

I think 12 players versus their 11 would a distinct advantage

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 24, 2022, 02:37:34 pm by dickos1 »
I can only see 11 ?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 24, 2022, 02:37:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
  DonnybazRover, did you actually see Long play yesterday? or is it that he is from another club therefore better than what we already have here.
  Olowu was one of our few successes last season, played well in a poor side and shows lots of promise.  Faulkner who is set for a loan rightly so to get some games under his belt, came into the game just after Long, and both in the game and in the warm down after the game looked yards faster than Long, and didn't miss a thing in the game, as in fairness Long didn't as the game was won and petering out, and not at the level to judge a player to actually start in a league game.
  Long also looked to be behind the majority of players fitness wise which could be because we returned earlier than most teams for preseason training. I hope he does challenge for a starting place, but Williams and Olowu have not played a miss in preseason and should be shoe ins to start after showing their form in the games, Faulkner also has not played a miss in any time he has spent on the field of play and only lacks experience.  Both Olowu and Faulkner will attract other clubs interest if they carry on progressing.

No, I'm just going on the comments about Long from yesterday and what I saw of him v Wakefield.

I like Olowu, he has some really good attributes as you say, including pace which will get us out of dangerous situations. He's a decent passer and doesn't mind coming out with the ball from time to time.

My concerns are about his spacial awareness, particularly going back towards goal when he seems to lose his bearings. This was evident again in the Rotherham game if you look at their build up to their second goal and their near miss at the end.

Really hope he can improve on this aspect of his game.

Just get the feeling Long just might be a little more composed and assured in and around the box. Far too early to judge though.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 24, 2022, 03:08:11 pm by selby »
  With Charlie Petch coming up on the rails in the u18s admittedly miles off at the moment but fast improving I think we are in a good place at central defence for good young talent who show great promise.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 24, 2022, 05:00:19 pm by scawsby steve »
Pre-season friendlies don't tell us much in the context of what we can achieve. Starting with 3 of last season's horrendous back 4 would worry me somewhat.

I'm sure we've not signed Long just to strengthen options.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 24, 2022, 05:40:53 pm by selby »
  Steve last year is in the past, the back four had nowhere near the class, organisation and cover in front of them that they have shown up to press in the preseason games, yes only preseason but at least one  side in Huddersfield way above most of the teams we played last season football wise, and Rotherham although not as strong as last season still stronger than most league 1 sides last season.
  Plus we have two in Williams and Olowu who are after the last few matches last season and the results in preseason this year have now been in a team unbeaten in nine games, against varying class of sides but are visually fitter and more confident this term, Williams probably the most consistent player in our preseason games and looking a good pair who are dependable.
  The manager is not going to change much now from what we have seen in preseason barring injuries.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 24, 2022, 09:07:01 pm by Campsall rover »
Pre-season friendlies don't tell us much in the context of what we can achieve. Starting with 3 of last season's horrendous back 4 would worry me somewhat.

I'm sure we've not signed Long just to strengthen options.
I am sure we have SS. ( sorry I put Alan )
No way is Long an automatic starter in our back 4

Very confident we are going to see a completely different Williams & Olowu partnership at centre back this season.
We have a much stronger midfield which is going to give them protection. We were wide open last season.
They will have been working very hard on the training pitch on defence and with more thorough coaching I don’t see the shambles of last season repeating itself.
The only concern I have is set pieces, but I expect us to be much better at defending them also.

I think Olowu will get 5 goals at least this season and hope to see RSW get 3 at least also.
They are both capable.
So no way do I see Long starting on Saturday and if the current incumbents do really well and stay injury free then he could have a long wait to play a league game.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:32:11 am by Campsall rover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012