Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:19:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Bradford City game  (Read 12237 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Bradford City game
« on July 22, 2022, 11:46:11 am by selby »
  Not the game we would have been hoping to start the season with, but the one we deserve after a very poor season last year.
  A game that on paper looks to be one of our hardest of the season, but probably a good time to play them, with them like ourselves putting new players into the team and a big name manager in Mark Hughes who probably carries the most weight of expectation in our division to deliver success.
   Bradford have delivered some eye catching results in their preseason games that have had a lot of media exposure, none more than a good victory against promoted Sunderland, so both supporters and the team will be full of confidence that they can get away to a good start to the season with a win against ourselves, and looking from the outside it looks like the fans in Bradford are getting behind their team and some big attendances  will be forthcoming for games in Division 2 which will be great for the club and for the division itself.
  We also look to have strengthened over the closed season, signed some good looking young players, who if they kick on could be worth good money further down the line to the club, and is the way our club needs to be thinking as the future way to run the club and with the right mixture of experience with such as Rowe and Clayton and hopefully the addition of Tomlin to guide them on the field.
  The combination of Gary McSheffrey and Coppinger and being backed with a much more professional back up team looks like it might have done a little more than just steady the ship now they have had a little time to compose themselves, and start to set the way the club can move forward not just on the field of play where most of the supporters judge them, but behind the scenes  as well and setting up a structure that can advance the club forward at all levels playing wise.
  It has long been required, we stagnated in many areas and went back on the playing side, especially at first team level, and at last I think most of us supporters can see some improvement in the first team.
  Like others looking at our first few games made me nervous, especially when first announced and we had done little business as we could not have conjured up a harder looking start if we had tried, even so with our improved squad we face a stiff task early in the season, with no game looking easy and how the new players adapt and play as a unit will be important and a hard task for the management team, as supporters we cannot expect a group just put together to show their best right from the off, I ma hoping for improved standards and competitiveness early on and a steady improvement as the season progresses, anything better is a bonus to me.
  The Bradford game I expect to be one of our biggest tests, a large crowd in attendance a savvy manager and team in opposition,and the enthusiasm and expectation that a new season always brings, and our youngsters in the team need to play the game, not the occasion.
  The preseason games mean very little as far as results are concerned and are more a familiarisation exorcise and fitness test , but we can take some confidence from the games we have been involved in especially v Rotherham and Huddersfield.
  If we keep our heads, cut out silly mistakes, stick to the game plan, work as a team, and show energy, I think we have now got the the skill in this team to make a good fist of the season ahead, and I hope you my fellow supporters have a more enjoyable time of it, and with probably another couple of signings in the near future to fill in the few gaps still in the squad that need filling our confidence can grow.
  Being the age I am, the loss of some of our supporters in the last few years, many I didn't know apart from a familiar face, and the odd hello, but have spent years in their company seen the highs and shared those and the very lows it is going to to strange  in some cases missing their faces and company. I hope we can do them proud and once again rise up a better club and team if for nothing else but for their long support of the club,and we can interest the local youth to take up the mantle and carry on the
tradition of supporting the local team, success on the field of play this season would go a long way to paying homage to some great supporters lost, and gaining new ones to take up the mantle, here's hoping for the best and a great season.
  So whats your thoughts?
  Do the fixtures we start with have you fearing a bad start to the season?
  Can you see the team taking shape for the better?
  Are you looking forward to the season?
  Has your confidence grown in the managers ability to improve the side?
  Lots to discuss about the club, the team,and all things related to the game at Bradford, please have your say, Bradford supporters welcome to join in a sensible discussion.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Bradford City game
« Reply #1 on July 22, 2022, 11:57:40 am by Mustapha-Dump »
This is meant in no way as a negative but I would snap your hand off for a score draw right now. Wether it pans out this way in a week or not in unknown but I think come the end of the season we will look at the table and on paper Bradford away will be one of the hardest games.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 22, 2022, 12:04:45 pm by Colin C No.3 »
It’ll be a real test against one of the clubs that has brought in a glut of new players, have a manager who has managed at the highest level, a stadium fit for Premiership football & a big Rovers following.

I’d take a draw but more importantly we want to see a Rovers team play with fire in their bellies & a belief in one another that whatever the result, we come away from the game as supporter’s relishing the next game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 22, 2022, 12:59:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yep, on paper not the best draw for the first game of the season but we've got to use it to our advantage.

Get the players into the mindset of not fearing it, but relishing it. Shut the crowd up, make them realise this league isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Irrespective of the result, as long as we can get some control in the game and earn the right to play by doing the basics well, we need a performance that shows we're heading in the right direction.

Do that and it will set us up for what's to come.

I want to hear Mark Hughes say "They're a good team and they'll be up there come the end of the season".

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 22, 2022, 01:30:01 pm by RoversAlias »
Game of the day in League Two and I'm hoping it lives up to it. Football was a miserable watch for most of last season so I would like to enjoy games more this season, and I think a Yorkshire clash at one of the biggest clubs in the division is a fine start. Providing we turn up and do our best on the day of course!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 22, 2022, 02:12:14 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Long season 1st game result doesn't mean that much but it would be great to beat them well and set a marker down early as the team to beat.

For us though i'd say performance is more important than result. Lose and play well with cohesion and we can all look forward to the rest of the season. Lose and play anything like last season and I'm worried for GM

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 22, 2022, 02:26:48 pm by Rovers91 »
Looking forward to it and I think it's a good game to start with, would rather we be playing Bradford away first game of season rather than the business end when we may both be battling for promotion.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 22, 2022, 02:34:33 pm by pib »
I'd take a draw from this, definitely.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 22, 2022, 02:37:55 pm by Campsall rover »
It is probably a good time to be playing them.
They very much like us have a lot of new faces in the team.
It is unlikely they will be at their best 1st game of the season.
( I hope I am not made to eat my words ). Nor will we likely to be at our best of course either.
This game is wide open imo. Yes I want us to go there and be positive, give Bradford problems.
If we lose I am not too worried. It’s the overall performance that I am looking at more than the result in this particular match.
Having said that with a positive mind set we can win this game.

Yes we have a tough start to the season on paper, but believe me every one of these opponents will be looking at our fixture as one of their toughest on paper.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 22, 2022, 02:49:25 pm by tyke1962 »
This post is just from personal experience relatively recently .

The last time we were in League One under Daniel Stendel we visited Valley Parade second game in which would have made it City's first home game of the season .

City had actually won the previous Saturday away on the opening day and  City fans were in very optimistic mood , at least the ones we spoke to pre match in the pubs were .

There was a crowd of well over 18k as the two teams emerged on that hot Saturday August afternoon and the atmosphere was crackling for this big Yorkshire derby .

A remarkable thing happened though , we started the game very well , City were chasing shadows and we grabbed the lead after 10 minutes .

The huge City contingent soon turned on them and you could see the confidence draining from them as we controlled the game and won comfortably .

The moral of the story is , a big expectant crowd can easily work the other way too and be a monkey on your back .

Start the game well and get yourselves in front and I can guarantee the City fans will turn on them .

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 22, 2022, 03:23:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
This will be a hard game if we have made the two signings and Knoyle is ready plus players that having been playing are fit then we should have  21 players to pick from. The basis of the sides who started against Huddersfield and Rotherham would be in the starting eleven. Decision then would be Knoyle or Younger, starting Maxwell moving Tommy forward so will see how this week develops.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 22, 2022, 04:28:14 pm by Chris Black come back »
I know they have recruited heavily in the summer but bear in mind that since Hughes went there his record has been average. He lost as many as he won, and bringing so many new lads together as he has done this summer is not easy, while expectations for Bradford this season will be very high I imagine. Still don’t believe he will know how to get best out of players that are leagues below the standard he is used to as a manager and player.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 04:37:11 pm by Chris Black come back »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 22, 2022, 04:35:07 pm by roversdude »
It’s not going to be easy but I’m quietly confident that we can go there be disciplined and put a marker down. There was a lot of grumbling about our opening fixtures but personally I think it’s a good time to be playing these teams

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 22, 2022, 05:16:48 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We have a more settled team. They have a lot of players to integrate into their side. We have the same manager, they don’t.
They have all the pressure on their team, we have less pressure. They will be around the promotion spots but they didn’t want to face us so early, just as we didn’t them. We will go there and win.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 22, 2022, 05:29:31 pm by Campsall rover »
We have a more settled team. They have a lot of players to integrate into their side. We have the same manager, they don’t.
They have all the pressure on their team, we have less pressure. They will be around the promotion spots but they didn’t want to face us so early, just as we didn’t them. We will go there and win.
They do have the same manager SCK. Hughes became Manager in January didn’t he? If it wasn’t January it was Feb.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 22, 2022, 05:32:16 pm by ravenrover »
I would hate to be GMc picking his starting XI from the squad we have now in midfield and attack. Add Tomlin to the mix and some good looking players are going to be getting splinters this season

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 22, 2022, 05:34:08 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Yes sorry forgot that. It still stands though that a lot changes have been made to the Bradford side. We have also ,but I think there is a good understanding being built, onto what was already there with our new players coming in.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 22, 2022, 05:36:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
I would hate to be GMc picking his starting XI from the squad we have now in midfield and attack. Add Tomlin to the mix and some good looking players are going to be getting splinters this season
Until the injured players return the first 12/13 pick themselves if when Tomlin signs

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 22, 2022, 05:47:04 pm by ravenrover »
What would your  starting XI be ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 22, 2022, 05:51:47 pm by Campsall rover »
I think he will know his best 11 from those that are currently fit.
This is my starting line up against Bradford ( with Tomlin signed ) I think he will be a sub.

As follows :                                               Mitchell.

Younger.                  Williams.                                   Olowu                Maxwell

Clayton.                          Biggins.

Molyneux                                               Rowe.                                               Hurst.

Miller.

Subs:  Jones, Long, Ravenhill, Tomlin, Agard, Griffiths, Andrews.
That’s assuming Knoyle is not 100% Think he will give him at least another week anyway to get up to speed

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 22, 2022, 05:56:35 pm by steve@dcfd »
                             Mitchell

Knoyle.        Williams.          Olowu.     Maxwell
or Younger

Clayton.       Biggins

Molyneux.               Tomlin.                 Rowe

Miller

Jones
Younger or Knoyle
Long
Ravenhill
Hurst
Agard or Griffiths
Andrews

That’s if Tomlin signs

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 22, 2022, 06:07:36 pm by Campsall rover »
Don’t know what happened to my formation but is same as your team Steve, other than Hurst for Tomlin starting.  You could be right and me wrong !

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 22, 2022, 06:08:12 pm by Dare to dream! »
                             Mitchell

Knoyle.        Williams.          Olowu.     Maxwell
or Younger

Clayton.       Biggins

Molyneux.               Tomlin.                 Rowe

Miller

Jones
Younger or Knoyle
Long
Ravenhill
Hurst
Agard or Griffiths
Andrews

That’s if Tomlin signs

That’s the one or put Rowe in CM, drop Biggins and CM and start Hurst on the wing.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 22, 2022, 06:11:07 pm by steve@dcfd »
Have watched the Huddersfield and Rotherham games Biggins was excellent in that role he wouldn’t be left out. Hurst come on as Sub and make a difference first solid then go for it

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 22, 2022, 06:13:10 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't know anything about the new CB, Adam Long, but surely he's been signed to improve our central defence, which was diabolical last season?

If the only addition to that awful back 4 from last season is Maxwell, then I'm still genuinely concerned about our defence in general.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 22, 2022, 06:14:28 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
For this game , assuming Knoyle is fit, I would go with this side. Nice and solid at the back. A midfield that should win the battle for supremacy. With two attacking wing backs. Molyneux playing just behind Miller, drifting and dragging players out of position. The likes of Biggins and Rowe ghosting into those positions for goals.

If we can get our noses in front, then you bring on Tomlin for more ball retention. You get either Andrews or Griffiths on to occupy defenders in a different way. Maybe bringing on Younger at right back after Knoyle has only just come back from injury.

Mitchell

Williams. Long.  Olowu

Knoyle.                                   Maxwell

Clayton.     Biggins

Rowe

Molyneux.   

Miller

Subs.Andrews, Griffiths, Tomlin, Hurst, Ravenhill, Younger, Jones

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 22, 2022, 06:29:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
Sammy we’ve not m played a three in any preseason. If we did Long is left footed so he would play on the left. GMC said he would be given time then he would play . He might even start tomorrow we will wait and see.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 22, 2022, 06:58:54 pm by NickDRFC »
Assuming Long’s fit he’d be straight in for me, purely based on the Wigan fans’ thoughts of him. Olowu & Williams should both be capable in this league but they’re also capable of catastrophic mistakes and the thought of them playing together doesn’t inspire me with much confidence.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 22, 2022, 07:14:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
Even with Tom back fit, it’s not an entirely convincing set of centre backs. Maybe the horror show of the last 18 months at the back can now be over, but jesus they were bad last season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 22, 2022, 07:17:48 pm by GazLaz »
Even with Tom back fit, it’s not an entirely convincing set of centre backs. Maybe the horror show of the last 18 months at the back can now be over, but jesus they were bad last season.

The defence and goalkeeper is a massive issue. Not renewing Anderson and signing a really good proven, hardened, low risk centre half should have been the play. New goalkeeper was a must also. New keeper, Knoyle, Olowu, New experienced CH, New LB… that would have freshened up last seasons shambles enough.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012