Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:10:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So thats why Fergy left!  (Read 6111 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: So thats why Fergy left!
« Reply #1 on August 09, 2022, 11:22:02 am by Alan Southstand »
Great insight.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 09, 2022, 11:32:17 am by swain_drfc »
I think it kind of confirms what a lot of us were thinking anyway, no real surprises.

Some on here will still not have you believe it though  :silly:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 09, 2022, 11:36:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Cool story.

The Board didn't want promotion so he resigned. But then we spent the next 30 months in and around the play-offs?

Bullshit detector is flashing madly.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 09, 2022, 11:37:02 am by Alickismyhero »
To be fair I can see both sides of the situation.

I want my club to thrive and succeed with little risk , the club point of view.

I want to progress to the Championship, Fergy is right, you have to take a risk to get there.

Whatever,

Rovers will always have my full support which ever way they go.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:47:41 am by Alickismyhero »

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 09, 2022, 11:40:37 am by Spud »
It's an interesting read but it just shows that money is everything, even at our level, ambition is simply measured by budget, full stop.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 09, 2022, 11:41:49 am by silent majority »
I think it kind of confirms what a lot of us were thinking anyway, no real surprises.

Some on here will still not have you believe it though  :silly:

Which is what though?

You need to read between the lines and not accept what you consider is the version that you want to believe.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 09, 2022, 11:46:58 am by Alickismyhero »
Spud,
I think its more than the size of budget I think a large part of success is the quality of recruitment and hopefully Copps will play a big part in that.

Just look what Man U are going through with Ronaldo? Great player but disruptive to the team.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 09, 2022, 11:48:51 am by Spud »
Spud,
I think its more than the size of budget I think a large part of success is the quality of recruitment and hopefully Copps will play a big part in that.

Just look what Man U are going through with Ronaldo? Great player but disruptive to the team.

Yeah, I meant moreso in the views of Fergie & other managers tbh.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 09, 2022, 11:53:09 am by no eyed deer »
Thought the board were sticking 5 million in.  Well I am surprised

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 09, 2022, 11:57:42 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's nothing in what he says in that article that is particularly damning about his time with us. He days the club were very supportive when he could have been sacked.

He had a League One budget in League Two and yes, he got us promoted barring a poor end to the season when winning the league was in our sights.

Thrre's nothing particularly wrong with consolidation however, he says he didn't have the stomach to debate the finances with the owners, given the situation with his dad etc.

I said at the time, being a football manager is all consuming and stressful so nobody's going to blame him for saying, you know what, I don't need this right now. Not the first time and not the last time he resigned from his job. Not the first time he didn't see eye to eye with the owner, confirming he stopped talking to McAnthony in his spell at Peterborough before joining us.

Of course there will be those who focus on the finances as the reason he resigned but there clearly were more pressing issues at the time.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 09, 2022, 12:13:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He felt he needed a big budget to get promotion, that's fair enough but not how the club wanted to go also fair enough.

There is a valid point about if you can easily get promotion without spending in league 1, probably not these days as the league wages etc have grown.

It may well be the case that we can't often compete at the top in that league under these owners.

What I would say is grant McCann got us to the play offs straight away after so it can be and very nearly was done.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 09, 2022, 12:21:13 pm by silent majority »
There's nothing in what he says in that article that is particularly damning about his time with us. He days the club were very supportive when he could have been sacked.

He had a League One budget in League Two and yes, he got us promoted barring a poor end to the season when winning the league was in our sights.

Thrre's nothing particularly wrong with consolidation however, he says he didn't have the stomach to debate the finances with the owners, given the situation with his dad etc.

I said at the time, being a football manager is all consuming and stressful so nobody's going to blame him for saying, you know what, I don't need this right now. Not the first time and not the last time he resigned from his job. Not the first time he didn't see eye to eye with the owner, confirming he stopped talking to McAnthony in his spell at Peterborough before joining us.

Of course there will be those who focus on the finances as the reason he resigned but there clearly were more pressing issues at the time.

He calls it consolidation Baz, but a top 5 budget is not consolidation, its an opportunity to finish in the play-offs, which as bfyp says we managed to do the following season.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 09, 2022, 12:33:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

He calls it consolidation Baz, but a top 5 budget is not consolidation, its an opportunity to finish in the play-offs, which as bfyp says we managed to do the following season.

Yes, but there are those who are incapable of computing that.

No doubt they'll bring up Dickovs comments too after we all cried ourselves to sleep when he got the sack!

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 09, 2022, 12:36:36 pm by ChrisBx »
I was actually reasonably pleased when Ferguson left. I really didn't rate him and he was very lucky not to be sacked after our relegation.

Grant McCann was a much better manager for us (despite the manner in which he left). For me, our best manager since O'Driscoll.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 09, 2022, 12:38:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
I was actually reasonably pleased when Ferguson left. I really didn't rate him and he was very lucky not to be sacked after our relegation.

Grant McCann was a much better manager for us (despite the manner in which he left). For me, our best manager since O'Driscoll.

Correct analysis. Pin this as message of the day.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 09, 2022, 12:43:16 pm by swain_drfc »
The usual comments of “of course he is going to say that now he has left” have surfaced.

Pretty much the same as anyone connected with the club will refute his comments and claim he is talking out his arse. The issue is that he isn’t the first former manager to say such things.

Like I said previously, these comments won’t surprise most as it is what the majority of us thought the reasons for his resignation were anyway. If the club wanted several seasons at league 1 level to consolidate then not a problem. Don’t come out with the “top 6 budget” talk every year though.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 09, 2022, 01:04:51 pm by Spud »

This.
I don't think Fergie was a particularly bad manager but I remember the football was pretty dull, I even stopped going much tbh.
Can't argue with what he did at Posh, but, for us, McCann was far better

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 09, 2022, 01:22:54 pm by ravenrover »
Just one half of a story

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 09, 2022, 01:39:15 pm by roversdude »
Reading that he never even got as far as discussing the budget but did the right thing in looking after his father

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 09, 2022, 01:40:54 pm by selby »
  Just confirmed everything I thought about the guy, no coaching ability and reluctant to make players better players like McSheffrey just sees managing a football team to be having more money than the other guy, and when things go wrong has no idea how to make things better, just blames the players especially the youngsters and throws his teddy out of the cot, and tries to redeem some reputation by resigning and undermining the club he has left.
  Not in the same class as the managers at Accrington, Wycombe, or the ex Newport manager and Nigel Clough who out thought him with a Burton side, who spent buttons.
  There are a few managers like him, Christ knows how they get the jobs they get.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 09, 2022, 02:03:46 pm by Bessie Red »
The usual comments of “of course he is going to say that now he has left” have surfaced.

Pretty much the same as anyone connected with the club will refute his comments and claim he is talking out his arse. The issue is that he isn’t the first former manager to say such things.

Like I said previously, these comments won’t surprise most as it is what the majority of us thought the reasons for his resignation were anyway. If the club wanted several seasons at league 1 level to consolidate then not a problem. Don’t come out with the “top 6 budget” talk every year though.
You seem to forget that we were 1 goal away from being in the play off final the season after Fergie left, so my thoughts are that enough money was available to have a very good crack at promotion that year depite what Fergie says.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 09, 2022, 02:37:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
He built a very good, solid league one side AND brought in players that went on to make the Club a lot of money. Remind me how many players GM brought in that we had very good resales on?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 09, 2022, 02:39:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He built a very good, solid league one side AND brought in players that went on to make the Club a lot of money. Remind me how many players GM brought in that we had very good resales on?

He did. But he had no idea whatsoever how to get them performing to the sum of their parts.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 09, 2022, 03:37:39 pm by selby »
  Alan, most of them when we so;d them had advanced their reputation under GM, and didn't attract offers until Ferguson left.
  GM got a tune out of players he failed with.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 09, 2022, 04:46:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  Alan, most of them when we so;d them had advanced their reputation under GM, and didn't attract offers until Ferguson left.
  GM got a tune out of players he failed with.

40 goals in 2 seasons for a striker isn't failure IMO.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 09, 2022, 05:05:26 pm by dickos1 »
Fergies recruitment with a limited budget was the best we’ve had in recent history.
Whether he got the best out of them is a different matter.
But Marquis, Anderson, whiteman, are 3 of the best players to play for this club.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:00:41 pm by dickos1 »

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 09, 2022, 05:23:14 pm by Fal »

I don’t believe at all we had a top 5 budget in league one that season. Infact I think top 14 may have been more accurate.

Too much has been said by previous managers and the way in how quickly some managers have jumped ship that I don’t believe anything the club or you have said over the past 6 years or more when it comes to budgets or ambition.

McCann overachieved with the budget he was given.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 09, 2022, 05:23:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Fergies recruitment with a limited budget was the best we’ve had in recent history.
Whether he hit tur best out of them is a different matter.
But Marquis, Anderson, whiteman, are 3 of the best players to play for this club.
His recruitment was good agreed. Some exceptions to that but all managers drop some clangers.
The problem was he was a poor coach and tactically naive and very stubborn.
He knew he couldn’t get promoted unless he had a top budget as he wasn’t good enough to get the team there by making them a good enough. Where as Grant McCann did get us to the play offs because he had tactical nous and got the best out of what he had.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 09, 2022, 05:34:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Didn't he leave for personal reasons at the time? Or is he now admitting it was just because we wouldn't give him more money to spend. I mean if he had that high opinion of himself just say thats why your going and do one.

Shame we didn't want to push on if thats the case but he has to also understand that he's essentially asking someone to give him a few million they'll never see again. Fair enough to ask for it in his position but to be indigent when someone thinks better of it is a bit weird. Just deliver good results at DRFC and you'll get an offer like GMc did. Stinks of him putting his name out in the press because his compo is running out from the last job!

On him as a manager he built us into a proper little football club at that time with good young players. So I he always gets a lot of credit. Hopefully this season is the start of getting back to that. But he was a bit hopeless as an actual football manager getting 3pts on a Saturday. Given what we had he should have done more.

I think the 442 Diamond did him because it won't suit many players and we always were pretty poor but he persisted with it. GMc came in changed to a 433 (ok got Wilks and Kane too) and we were much better. Hope our current manager drops the diamond sharp after Saturdays game or we'll be limiting our players again

TinyPortal © 2005-2012