Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:48:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 4616 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« on August 10, 2022, 09:45:58 am by selby »
  After last night, where our twelth game without defeat proved one too many, it seems after such a good run our team is not good enough , the managers ability worries people, and one certain fact is we have got some idiot supporters following the team dragging the clubs reputation in the gutter, apart from that everything in the garden is rosy.
  Wimbledon  also lost at home to Gillingham 2-0 with late goals seeing them off, made four changes to the side that got a point at Hartlepool for the game and stand on the same number of points as ourselves after drawing and winning their first two league games the same as ourselves.
  Not a team we have had a lot of joy against especially away from home   although we managed a fortuitous draw in our first game at their new abode, the first game on their new ground I think, hopefully the new ground has better memories and is kinder to us than their old grounds where we more often than not failed.
  After last nights game where we were outclassed in every department in a poor showing, we need to quickly put it behind us, regroup and show the togetherness and fight we showed in the first two games we had in the league fixtures and start another run of undefeated results if possible.
  Before the game last night I was worried about our back four pointing out we had two left footed central defenders in the line up and two right footed central Defenders on the bench , no balance in that area, a new partnership  not something I would have gone with, Olowu playing right side for the first time and to my mind added to conceding the first goal as our shape was pulled about.
  On the night there was no denying what looked like a gulf of class in almost every position compared to the Lincoln side on show, who although we made it easy for them, I think probably played as good as they can in a game, looking very well drilled and individually on top of their game, catch teams like that on any given night and it is going to be hard work, which it was for us.
  Wimbledon will pose us problems, they always do and in Currie, Assal, and Gunter have players who can run a game if given the opportunity, so we are going to have to regain the organisation, fight, and togetherness we showed in the first two games and was missing last night.
   What changes would you make from last nights team?
   Was it a blip against a side too good for us on the night?
   Are you going to the game? a new ground for many and all that
   Does this game carry more weight as the acid test to our ability to actually do something this season in your mind?
  Lot's to discuss about this game please have your say
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:50:57 am by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #1 on August 10, 2022, 10:16:27 am by Mustapha-Dump »
Same as Bradford, would take a score draw now. If we can’t win we just need to make sure we don’t lose, unbeaten runs in the league gather momentum quite quick and can’t do the players any harm. Line up wise I’d be hoping for
Mitchel
Knoyle Williams Oluwu/Anderson Maxwell
Clayton
Rowe Biggins Hurst
Agard Miller

Tomlin a shoe in to come on if we’re struggling to create, Andrews for a plan B, which is all I think we are hoping for from him at the minute. I’d also have an eye on Ravenhill being ready to give Biggins a rest if he doesn’t offer much because to be honest he isn’t blowing me away.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 10, 2022, 10:55:01 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Again just want us to play well with a bit of width which we've not had all season. I'd go with below.

Mitchell
Knoyle Williams Long Maxwell
Hurst Clayton Biggings Rowe
             Tomlin
                 Miller

Maybe you could argue Ravenhill for Tomlin to make it a 5 in midfield. Important thing for me is Rowe and Hurst play as wide players. Obviously have to tuck in when the ball is on the other side. But when we have the ball we have to play with more width if we're to score goals.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 10, 2022, 11:29:40 am by Campsall rover »
Again just want us to play well with a bit of width which we've not had all season. I'd go with below.

Mitchell
             Tomlin
                 Miller

Maybe you could argue Ravenhill for Tomlin to make it a 5 in midfield. Important thing for me is Rowe and Hurst play as wide players. Obviously have to tuck in when the ball is on the other side. But when we have the ball we have to play with more width if we're to score goals.
Same team as above for me. I think Olowu may be unfit anyway as he went off injured last night.
Didnt look great, maybe a pulled hamstring as he was holding his leg before he went down.
Our injuries just keep going on and on don’t they.
Could play Anderson along side Williams if he is available but that is 2 right footed centre backs so not ideal.
Or play Anderson and Long which would be a new partnership.

As Brian ( Selby ) said we had 2 left footed centre backs last night. When I mentioned Olowu was left footed recently I got pulled up and was told he is right footed.
Now I know he can use both, but he looked uncomfortable playing on the right last night and I am still convinced his natural foot is his left one.

Last night was poor in every dept and we were outplayed by what I think will be a bottom 8/9 league 1 team this season.
We just kept lumping balls up to Andrews who is struggling with this level of football at the moment.
The ball isn’t sticking to his feet and his inexperience is showing.

Biggins isn’t the box to box midfielder that GM said we had signed. Or at least we haven’t seen it yet.
He looks to be playing a much more conservative role along side Clayton at present.
He needs to be let of his leash imo. We don’t need 2 holding players.

Lincoln looked much more motivated than we did and without Miller up top and Rowe in midfield we were a shadow of the team that has played in the previous games, even against Sutton where we were 2nd best for 65% of the game.

We need to up our game on Saturday if we are to win this one. We can and are a much better team than we saw last night. I am confident of at least a draw.
No reason why we can’t win it.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 10, 2022, 11:51:14 am by swain_drfc »
Anyone any idea of how many we have sold so far for this weekend? I assume numbers will be lower due to the lack of trains.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 10, 2022, 12:33:03 pm by Barmby Rover »
Hanging on at Bradford, second best for most of the game against Sutton, a poor second to Lincoln. The signs don't look great at the moment, a Wimbledon win would not surprise me, I hope it is otherwise.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 10, 2022, 12:51:10 pm by Donnywolf »
Anyone any idea of how many we have sold so far for this weekend? I assume numbers will be lower due to the lack of trains.

Saw elsewhere on here Trains OK now

Go online as if buying  a Ticket and click Blocks on sale to see what Seats are left

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 10, 2022, 02:19:13 pm by swain_drfc »

Saw elsewhere on here Trains OK now

Go online as if buying  a Ticket and click Blocks on sale to see what Seats are left

Reduced timetable and some peoples trains totally cancelled and very expensive to book return tickets now. My group have been ok and we are still on the train but I know of others not as fortunate.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 10, 2022, 02:28:06 pm by philsky »

I'm expecting a much improved performance, as an essentially new team continues to gel.

The first team still isn't absolutely clear cut to me and especially when there's Taylor, Close, Younger and Griffiths in the wings. With Molyneux close to being ready for a return too.

I'm being patient as its a long season and from what I read we'll have a fullish squad to pick from by October; and a not half bad squad by the end of the month.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 10, 2022, 04:16:46 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I’m hoping we can play with a bit more width because when we do we look dangerous, if we play like last night then I expect it will be a long journey home Saturday

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 10, 2022, 04:23:40 pm by steve@dcfd »

Mitchell
             Tomlin
                 Miller

Same team as above for me. I think Olowu may be unfit anyway as he went off injured last night.
Didnt look great, maybe a pulled hamstring as he was holding his leg before he went down.
Our injuries just keep going on and on don’t they.
Could play Anderson along side Williams if he is available but that is 2 right footed centre backs so not ideal.
Or play Anderson and Long which would be a new partnership.

As Brian ( Selby ) said we had 2 left footed centre backs last night. When I mentioned Olowu was left footed recently I got pulled up and was told he is right footed.
Now I know he can use both, but he looked uncomfortable playing on the right last night and I am still convinced his natural foot is his left one.

Last night was poor in every dept and we were outplayed by what I think will be a bottom 8/9 league 1 team this season.
We just kept lumping balls up to Andrews who is struggling with this level of football at the moment.
The ball isn’t sticking to his feet and his inexperience is showing.

Biggins isn’t the box to box midfielder that GM said we had signed. Or at least we haven’t seen it yet.
He looks to be playing a much more conservative role along side Clayton at present.
He needs to be let of his leash imo. We don’t need 2 holding players.

Lincoln looked much more motivated than we did and without Miller up top and Rowe in midfield we were a shadow of the team that has played in the previous games, even against Sutton where we were 2nd best for 65% of the game.

We need to up our game on Saturday if we are to win this one. We can and are a much better team than we saw last night. I am confident of at least a draw.
No reason why we can’t win it.

Long is the only Natural left footed centre half we have. Anderson and Olowu can play there but not naturally right footed so Brian was wrong when he said both were left footed
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joseph-olowu/profil/spieler/469249
This says he can play both but he is right footed.
Also this says the same
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/adam-long-doncaster-rovers-sign-wigan-athletic-defender-on-two-year-deal-3771232
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:06:06 pm by steve@dcfd »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 10, 2022, 04:24:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
They’ve won once in their last 15 home league games.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 10, 2022, 04:27:08 pm by DearneValleyRover »
They’ve won once in their last 15 home league games.

Well you’ve just gone and jinxed it now

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 10, 2022, 04:42:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
To be fair, that was on opening day of season though.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 10, 2022, 06:40:32 pm by scawsby steve »
Brian,

I've gone for a defeat in the PvO. I hope I'm wrong though.

I've been looking forward to this game for the last 6 weeks, but now can't go because there's no way back on the train. I'm going to the station tomorrow to got my refund.

We could get something out of the game if the defence improves on the last 2 games.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 11, 2022, 03:05:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Wimbledon like a 3-5-2 formation, I don’t see them altering it because we roll into town.
First of all we need control of that midfield. It’s going to need quick fluid play and a lot of pressuring the ball. Miller will be vital in this game, his energy and enthusiasm can be infectious.

I would be looking to push their wing backs, back. Play Agard wide right, he has a bit of pace ,which we lack at the minute. Hurst wide left and Miller just making a nuisance of himself.
I would be asking the full backs to be trying to push into midfield, with Clayton dropping back to cover when they do.

Sometimes to beat the five in midfield we might need to play quicker more direct balls down the sides to surprise them.
Defensively Long in if Olowu isn’t fit, otherwise I wouldn’t change it back there.

I would press with the front three, Biggins, Rowe and the full backs with the centre backs and Clayton picking the pieces up. That would mean we would be pressing with a bank of seven, more than matching their forward moves.

When our lads are starting to wane a bit, and the opposition have been softened up, you bring a Tomlin on for twenty minutes just behind Miller and hopefully he can pick a pass to win us it.

Mitchell

Williams.     Long

Knoyle.                       Maxwell

Clayton

Biggins.           Rowe

Agard.         Miller.         Hurst
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:11:44 am by Sammy Chung was King »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 11, 2022, 01:02:42 pm by selby »
  I think Anderson could play which means two right footers but Anderson and Williams have played together before.  My back up would be Faulkner he has played left back in his junior days and on the left of a three at Rossington in a game, so is comfortable that side, is very good in the air, has pace, and can tackle. 
  Long in the squad, but as back up for left back and central if two get injured out of those three, Seaman in the squad to cover Knoyle and wide right further up field.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 11, 2022, 02:56:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
I genuinely cannot remember last time we played a team in the league and were actually all over them for 90 minutes, playing good football. Must have been some of the earlier Moore games in his final season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 11, 2022, 03:30:31 pm by selby »
  Buddy, the game isn't about that. it's about getting the ball in the onion bag at the far end of the field from your Keeper.
  Real Madrid got battered in the Champions League cup last season game after game, do you think it bothered them?
  They had more pox than a monkey.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 11, 2022, 03:39:13 pm by goalkick »
It does help for the spectator if our team plays good football and is not one sided and we play well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 11, 2022, 03:53:24 pm by selby »
  Find a way to win Buddy, find a way not to lose.  Some of the most successful sides in world football were built on a very good defence.
  What do you think is the most important to a professional footballer gk, entertaining the punters in the stands, or a win bonus?

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 11, 2022, 04:01:19 pm by Spud »
Gotta admit I like to see football played & I'd like to think we will at some point. Of course we all want to win but if it was the be all & end all we wouldn't be Donny Rovers fans would we?
I go primarily to be entertained, I'm not too fussed which league that is in, providing it's not none league, though I'd still be there!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 11, 2022, 04:33:54 pm by selby »
  To the majority of spectators most would say winning is the most entertainment, how that is achieved most don't give a second thought to it.
  Do you think the Athletico Madrid side under Simeone bothers what the spectators think of them.
  I have never known a side built on defence, using the dark arts, and playing and imposing on the other side the way the game would be played, but win things have poor crowds watching them when they have ruled the roost.
  And there are many examples of teams both in this country and abroad who have been successful not playing great football.
  Barcelona v Chelsea, Manchester City v Real Madrid two massive games won by a team absolutely battered on the field of play in Champions League games, only the teams supporters that lost were bothered, and they played well, how many went away thinking that was great I was really entertained, answers in single figures and they were lying.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 11, 2022, 04:37:26 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Possibility that Anderson, Molyneux and Close could be on the bench this weekend. DBR saying all 3 trained with the first team today

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 11, 2022, 04:45:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Thing is if you play awful you lose more often than not.

And playing awful is different than playing to win only. We did that under Saunders and were often second best on possession and entertainment counts. But we’d win the game. We all loved that team and it was brilliant to watch in a different way

I’d have no probs with GM if he set us up to be a hard to beat horrible team that will be well organised and grind out results. If that’s the game plan that suits the players most of us will buy into it especially if it brings 3 points.

Right now it seems like we plan to come out and play but just don’t get it right at all. Early days though and a big result could get us up and running performance wise.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 11, 2022, 04:48:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
Back to 4-2-3-1 for me and, hopefully, all 11 on the pitch at full time!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 11, 2022, 05:18:22 pm by selby »
We have just lost the first game in twelve. If we can do that the next twelve games I will not be bothered how we do it, and if we do, no matter how we play, I would bet the attendances would be up significantly.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 11, 2022, 05:22:28 pm by NickDRFC »
We won’t be playing Spennymoor, Nuneaton, FCUM or opposition with nothing to play for in the next 12 games.

I’m pleased with the way the season has started results-wise (not overly fussed about Tuesday’s cup defeat) but banging on about an unbeaten run which includes worthless friendly results is ridiculous.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 11, 2022, 06:44:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
We have been playing almost exclusively entirely forgettable football for at least 18 months now. We’ve had half decent results for around the last half dozen league games. Put these two together and it is an appalling offer for anyone other than the hardcore supporter.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:00:47 pm by Chris Black come back »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 11, 2022, 07:03:09 pm by selby »
  NickDRFC, thanks for the lead in I have been waiting for someone to make just that point, so I can make the case for why they do.
  After the response by the wobble gob supporters that have attached themselves to the club on social media,  and in the Black Bank Stand if we had lost or even drawn any of the games you highlighted the teddy would have been thrown straight out of the cot. They picked the stick up to beat the team, certain players, and the management the minute the whistle blew for the end of the game on Tuesday, and some in the ground before the end.
  Every game matters because the Wobble Gobs wait for anything they can beat the club with, individual players,  the manager, the Board, the CEO, anything that they can pick the stick up for.
  That is why I kept harping on, waiting for the belittlement to be highlighted , thanks, I share your thoughts on the start to the season, and hope we go on another unbeaten run I can harp on about again if only to upset the wobble gobs we have attracted.
  There you are along comes CBcb, I rest my case Mlud
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 08:35:10 pm by selby »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012