Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:11:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Yorkshire post  (Read 2875 times)

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
Yorkshire post
« on September 12, 2022, 01:31:59 pm by Barmby Rover »
A piece in there saying there is a movement to make KO times to 1.00pm to save energy over the winter. It makes sense for clubs in the EFL who have less money to burn than Premiership clubs.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Yorkshire post
« Reply #1 on September 12, 2022, 02:00:49 pm by roversdude »
Makes sense really

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 12, 2022, 02:06:36 pm by RedRover45 »
Apart from people who finish work at 2pm on a Saturday……..

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 12, 2022, 02:16:30 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
Good idea if there's actual savings to be made, a bit tokenistic otherwise. The indoor lights around the stadium need to be on whatever time of day, and I noticed the floodlights on for the Mansfield game which was 3pm in the sun, so these dingy December afternoons would likely need them on as well so not sure where the savings are?

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 12, 2022, 02:29:00 pm by Panda »
I also commented to a pal about the floodlights being on during the Stags game. Absolutely bizarre. Any reason for this would anyone know?

1pm kick offs would problems for many away fans depending on where they were travelling to / from but would see them get home a lot earlier which would be the benefit. 

Personally, i don't have a problem with it and a 1pm kick off suits my circumstances better but i acknowledge that on the flipside, it would cause many people some issues.

It may also stop some neanderthals getting far too tanked up for games and reduce incidences of poor crowd behaviour?

Good discussion point anyway.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 12, 2022, 04:27:45 pm by Jimmydee »
The stags game......they put the floodlights on to help dry the pitch because they overwater it pre match and at half time.
  :lol:
sorry, I know that I’m not a groundsman but they still water the pitch during downpours.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 12, 2022, 05:54:47 pm by Muttley »
There are some solar panels on the stadium - presumably they just power the offices etc day-to-day

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 12, 2022, 06:44:53 pm by silent majority »
There are some solar panels on the stadium - presumably they just power the offices etc day-to-day

Doesn't really impact on the electricity usage to be honest Muttley.

In fact the soaring cost of electricity is a major worry for all football clubs at the moment, including DRFC. The EFL are being encouraged to speak to the EPL about financial help but not sure how committed they are to that.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 12, 2022, 07:03:22 pm by Panda »
I don't know how much it costs to have the floodlights on etc but we are only talking about 3/4  home games a month generally for a club, some of them in the summer / spring months when floodlights and heating aren't needed as much.

Yes accepted that there are staff in the club every day in various departments using energy but maybe this can be cut back on?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 12, 2022, 07:05:56 pm by IDM »
You mean our staff should work in the cold and the dark.?

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 12, 2022, 07:12:34 pm by Panda »
You mean our staff should work in the cold and the dark.?

No, i said that some months in the summer / spring maybe usage of energy inside the stadium can be curtailed a little. Maybe not. It was a hypothesis. Give it a rest, eh?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 12, 2022, 07:18:37 pm by IDM »
No, you also said this:

“Yes accepted that there are staff in the club every day in various departments using energy but maybe this can be cut back on?”

Implying energy could be cut back on every day, not just in summer months.

Perhaps you should re read what you wrote.!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 12, 2022, 09:40:33 pm by drfchound »
A piece in there saying there is a movement to make KO times to 1.00pm to save energy over the winter. It makes sense for clubs in the EFL who have less money to burn than Premiership clubs.

I was talking to my mates at the last home game about this.
It would make sense.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 13, 2022, 08:36:17 am by The Beast »
You won't get anything for nothing from the PL, they are indicative of the extreme greed we see today in the higher echelons of society. They'd want to phase out relegation for a tenner in the meter!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 13, 2022, 09:27:53 am by roversdude »
Selby, BB, SS, DW - what time did we used to kick off pre floodlights before elec trickery was invented

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 13, 2022, 10:14:06 am by knockers »
It was quite noticeable on my mid evening walk with the dog that there were hardly any lights on in peoples houses and nearly all were watching the tv with no other light source.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 13, 2022, 11:28:07 am by roversdude »
Very voyeuristic Knocker

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 13, 2022, 12:26:43 pm by adamtherover »
It was quite noticeable on my mid evening walk with the dog that there were hardly any lights on in peoples houses and nearly all were watching the tv with no other light source.

i noticed this the other night as well...everyone sat in the dark.   When cost per KWH of leccy v gas is quadruple, you can see why..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 13, 2022, 02:23:26 pm by selby »
  I think it used to alter to 2 o'clock at certain times of the year RD, certainly local league football did.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 13, 2022, 04:20:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Many of us will remember the miners strike when football kicked off at 2pm. Wasn't really any hardship and of course it was a temporary measure.

You wonder just how temporary this would be?

Of course, 3pm kick off is traditional and you hear many fans of Prem clubs moaning about playing at so many different kick off times over the weekend but, is 3pm so sacrosanct?

It would make sense in the current climate to avoid extra cost to clubs and unnecessary use. On that note, I tend to notice so many unnecessary lights are on all night in towns across the country and I'm sure there's money to be saved quite easily.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 13, 2022, 06:04:55 pm by scawsby steve »
Selby, BB, SS, DW - what time did we used to kick off pre floodlights before elec trickery was invented

BB and Wolfie had to be at the ground early anyway; to find somewhere suitable to leave their horse and carts.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 13, 2022, 06:17:25 pm by roversdude »

BB and Wolfie had to be at the ground early anyway; to find somewhere suitable to leave their horse and carts.
After they’d finished work ?

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 13, 2022, 06:24:45 pm by Red wizard »
Tbf in late November to mid Feb the lights would probably be needed anyway, be it 1 pm or 3 pm kick offs.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 13, 2022, 10:27:34 pm by BobG »
We'll be bringing double summer time back soon.....

BobG

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 14, 2022, 12:16:48 pm by Lesonthewest »

Don't tell the opposition, might even speed our play up a bit.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 14, 2022, 02:02:47 pm by Metalmicky »
We could fit dynamo's to the players, but I'm not sure we would generate much....

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 15, 2022, 04:10:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Stopping the time changing in summer time would help. We don’t need to have clocks going back and forward in winter and summer, it’s a different time and should have been changed a long time ago. You would get a more consistent day of light in that way.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 15, 2022, 08:52:38 am by Reg of the Rovers »
I think the reason football fans are so miserable is that it's a winter sport. Nothing dampens the spirits like a January evening in Hartlepool!

Move it to summer and it's be like cricket / tennis - pimms, strawberrys, conga and beer snakes - all in shorts and T shirt. That'd save on't leccy!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012