Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:06:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A bright light in the gloom.  (Read 3080 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
A bright light in the gloom.
« on September 18, 2022, 03:48:54 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Bobby Faulkner.

Eighteen years & one month old. I think he is the best Rovers youngster we have had since Ian Snodin.

Snodin went on to play for Everton, don’t be at all surprised if this young man ends up playing in the Premiership one day if he continues to develop at the ‘speed’ he is at present.

He was the MOTM yesterday in my opinion with all due respect to Kyle.

He’s big, strong, mobile, has pace, reads the game well, looks comfortable with the ball at his feet & not afraid to carry it forward.

A great find Brian.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: A bright light in the gloom.
« Reply #1 on September 18, 2022, 03:50:27 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Yep. Played very well for me. Only minor blip when he carried the ball out in the first half and was dispossessed with a good tackle.

Well in, Bob!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 18, 2022, 03:59:15 pm by roversdude »
Agree was MOM

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 18, 2022, 04:02:56 pm by Panda »
I'd have given MOM to Mitchell but yes, Faulkner has come in for us under difficult circumstances and hasn't let anyone down. He's a young, inexperienced lad and even allowing for that he's been largely sound and given everything. A great prospect for the club and i hope he'll carry on adapting and learning, as he has had to thus far given the frequent defensive changes.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 18, 2022, 04:28:37 pm by Janso »
Yep. Played very well for me. Only minor blip when he carried the ball out in the first half and was dispossessed with a good tackle.

Well in, Bob!

To be fair to him he did then block the shot at the end of the move.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 18, 2022, 08:24:42 pm by danumdon »
Tremendous prospect who has never let us down in his short career. I would now be looking to start him with a rejuvenated Olowu, Williams to me has looked very shaky and circumspect these last few games, because of that his defending has looked basic and very prone to error.

Until Anderson can make a comeback i would play the two young lads as the middle two with Maxwell left and a suitably chastened Knoyle on the right. Tell this unit it will be in place for the next tranche of games and give them time to bed in.

The rest of the team needs a major rejig.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 18, 2022, 08:31:39 pm by Red wizard »
How long is he under contract for ? If it's only this season we need to be extending asap.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 08:33:54 pm by Red wizard »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 18, 2022, 08:43:21 pm by selby »
  With Bobby, Charlie Petch, and Will Flint I cannot think of a time when we have had three very promising central defenders coming through like those three.
  Like Bobby I see Petch as an out and out good big strong central defender, Will Flint has converted successfully from a mid fielder and could well become a very useful defensive mid field player in front of a back line and is a first year scholar with lots of promise.
  Both are big units with good skills.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 18, 2022, 08:50:41 pm by Branton Rover »
I agree Bobby is a fantastic prospect and has started really well. If all our defenders were fit it would be Anderson & Joe Olowu at the back with Williams on the bench & Faulkner in the stand - that’s by no way being disrespectful to Bobby it’s just the pecking order if they were all fit in my opinion.

As good as Bobby is I don’t see him as the next Ian Snodin because he was truly exceptional & a one off.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 18, 2022, 09:03:47 pm by Campsall rover »
I agree Bobby is a fantastic prospect and has started really well. If all our defenders were fit it would be Anderson & Joe Olowu at the back with Williams on the bench & Faulkner in the stand - that’s by no way being disrespectful to Bobby it’s just the pecking order if they were all fit in my opinion.

As good as Bobby is I don’t see him as the next Ian Snodin because he was truly exceptional & a one off.
Different position to Ian Snodin but absolutely no reason why Bobby Faulkner can’t go on and be as good as he was.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 18, 2022, 09:04:14 pm by Spud »
Bobby Faulkner.

Eighteen years & one month old. I think he is the best Rovers youngster we have had since Ian Snodin.

Snodin went on to play for Everton, don’t be at all surprised if this young man ends up playing in the Premiership one day if he continues to develop at the ‘speed’ he is at present.

He’s big, strong, mobile, has pace, reads the game well, looks comfortable with the ball at his feet & not afraid to carry it forward.

A great find Brian.

Colin, I liked your post after the first two words....

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 18, 2022, 09:22:16 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Bobby Faulkner.

A great find Brian.

Colin, I liked your post after the first two words....

Only time will tell eh?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 18, 2022, 10:13:13 pm by Colin C No.3 »
  With Bobby, Charlie Petch, and Will Flint I cannot think of a time when we have had three very promising central defenders coming through like those three.
  Like Bobby I see Petch as an out and out good big strong central defender, Will Flint has converted successfully from a mid fielder and could well become a very useful defensive mid field player in front of a back line and is a first year scholar with lots of promise.
  Both are big units with good skills.
I truly hope the club has recognised this fantastic ‘local talent’ & ties them down very quickly with contracts that they become part of the future of DRFC in the longer term..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 18, 2022, 10:34:29 pm by roversdude »
Along with Kuleya

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 19, 2022, 07:05:07 am by graingrover »
Gloom is not my mood !

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 19, 2022, 10:30:54 am by RugbyRover »
I think there is more than one bright light tbh.

We look to have a decent coach for the keepers at last. Mitchell has been a revelation due to the work put into him by the new guy.

Back four look capable of playing at this level and are better organised than last season.

Centre forward works hard and runs himself silly which is what we said was needed after watching last seasons shower. He does score goals too when the service is good enough.

Which brings us round to the players providing that service. It's pretty terrible atm thats for sure. Clayton and Biggins are really struggling. Whether that's because the legs have gone or the system doesn't suit I don't know. But its an area that needs investment in the next window.

Once that is sorted we'll start to see the best of Miller Tomlin Hurst Taylor etc.

Also we have the impending arrival of Close Oluwo and Griffiths to look forward to.

We are just the 8 games into a competitive season with a new squad. I think its natural that it's going to take time to all bed in.

I think its natural for a young manager to make some mistakes, and he is. But hopefully Copps and Eyre are having a word with him and giving him a steer.

A similar season to last year when a young manager was struggling. All too quickly shown the door (although he was eager to go at the end). Lessons to be learnt?

Watched MOTD and Arteta was talking about last season when Arsenal got steam-rollered by Brentford. He called days like that "character building days" and said football gave opportunities like that. I say lets all be patient, stick together, support the team and manager and turn things around.

We'll just have to grit the dentures until that's done.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 19, 2022, 12:13:24 pm by selby »
 RR, be careful there is a lot of sense in that post. As for Bobby he is tied down to the club for another two seasons after this to answer a previous post so no need to panic there on that issue, knows he has a lot of things to improve on, but wants to play for Doncaster Rovers and do well for them and himself and will work to improve.
   The first team game time has been invaluable in that learning process, he knows it, doesn't expect to be given anything, and will only keep his place in the team improving and playing well which he is determined to do and making it hard for other players to get his shirt.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 12:25:29 pm by selby »

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 19, 2022, 02:30:27 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I think Faulkner is great but let's not go overboard just yet.
I don't think he's the best youngster since Ian Snodin...Rufus Brevett possibly was.
To compare him with Snodin and say he could go on to be as good is also way over the top.
I hope Bobby can have a great career and possibly go on to play at Championship level.
But the Premier League is a different kettle of fish.
Snodin was in the England B team and on the verge of the main squad till he was beset by injuries.
Doubt if Bobby can get to that level but I'd be delighted if I'm wrong.
Let's just give the kid a chance to settle in and develop his game without putting too much pressure on him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 19, 2022, 05:32:20 pm by Campsall rover »
I don't think he's the best youngster since Ian Snodin...Rufus Brevett possibly was.
To compare him with Snodin and say he could go on to be as good is also way over the top.
I hope Bobby can have a great career and possibly go on to play at Championship level.
Snodin was in the England B team and on the verge of the main squad till he was beset by injuries.
Let's just give the kid a chance to settle in and develop his game without putting too much pressure on him.
He could be as good, didn’t say he will be. That is a total unknown.
It is not over the top to say he COULD be as good..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 19, 2022, 05:41:18 pm by roversdude »
Sure I spotted him in Sprotbrough on Saturday morning

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 19, 2022, 05:58:34 pm by selby »
  If he keeps his place and plays regularly in the first team at League level he will be in the top six in the England age group.
  Not many 18 year olds are playing league football in the central defender position, and not many academy players could handle it at that age group with the physicality on a regular basis.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 19, 2022, 06:06:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
God only knows who he is learning off because our defensive record has been shocking for nearly two years now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 19, 2022, 06:49:17 pm by drfchound »
Just think how much he could learn playing alongside Andy Butler.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 19, 2022, 07:30:49 pm by selby »
Agreed Hound, but he is above Farsley Celtic level already, and is in good hands the club and management could not have done more for him.
  He would have found it hard to have had the projection through the ranks at any other club, in fact that is a question for the McSheffrey  doubters, how many managers do you think would have had the balls  to give a youngster a chance like he has done while shipping criticism? not many IMHO, but the management went along with what they saw in training and what he has done since joining the club, and credit to them and their coaching that has gone a long way to getting him to where he is at.
  And there is a lot more to come.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 19, 2022, 07:47:05 pm by drfchound »
Agreed Hound, but he is above Farsley Celtic level already, and is in good hands the club and management could not have done more for him.
  He would have found it hard to have had the projection through the ranks at any other club, in fact that is a question for the McSheffrey  doubters, how many managers do you think would have had the balls  to give a youngster a chance like he has done while shipping criticism? not many IMHO, but the management went along with what they saw in training and what he has done since joining the club, and credit to them and their coaching that has gone a long way to getting him to where he is at.
  And there is a lot more to come.

Oh, I agree he is above Farsley level mate but I actually do think that Andy could still be doing a job for Rovers.

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 19, 2022, 08:05:17 pm by WarwickRover »
He’ll be gone in the summer. Hopefully we’ll get him back on loan

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 19, 2022, 09:00:13 pm by selby »
 Again I agree Hound, Butler would be good both on and off the field of play IMHO, especially helping to nurture our crop of promising young central defenders, especially Bobby, who must in some ways resemble a young Butler at the same age, having an unconventional start to his career.
  At the moment he is learning the hard way in league football already, and no better place to learn his trade.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 20, 2022, 01:33:44 pm by Bollinger »

Me being pedantic I suppose, but Snod was actually named in the England squad to play against Greece but pulled out because of injury and was expected to be part of that squad longer term but then got the injury that took him out of the game for two years. There was a fanzine piece by Pat Nevin who swears he heard the hamstring tear that did for Ian.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 20, 2022, 04:23:01 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Me being pedantic I suppose, but Snod was actually named in the England squad to play against Greece but pulled out because of injury and was expected to be part of that squad longer term but then got the injury that took him out of the game for two years. There was a fanzine piece by Pat Nevin who swears he heard the hamstring tear that did for Ian.
If you read Snodins’ book (I did & wouldn’t recommend it!) his drinking habits whilst he was injured didn’t exactly aid his recovery.

I think Snod lacked ‘moral fibre’. That may sound cruel but he certainly didn’t help his own cause at Everton. The title of the book says it all.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 20, 2022, 07:23:33 pm by roversdude »
Not the greatest football related book for sure, got to agree drink did as much damage to his career

TinyPortal © 2005-2012