Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:15:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Miller  (Read 11991 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Miller
« Reply #90 on October 22, 2022, 08:04:53 pm by drfchound »
Had a penalty saved today then missed an open goal from the keepers save yet slotted home the equaliser as Biggins played him through as he made his run, took it on & placed it past the keeper from outside the box.

There’s the sign of a real No.9. Not dwelling on the penalty but looking for another opportunity to score.

Bang on Colin, good strikers don’t hide, they keep hunting.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on October 22, 2022, 08:15:05 pm by Lesonthewest »
Does Miller get criticised? I don’t feel like he does. There are things he can do better of course, but he seems popular. So he should be with 9 goals and counting.

I've read a few criticisms of him on here & from the previous manager. Unwarranted & uncalled for in my opinion. He's ploughed a lone furrow in almost every game, & hopefully DS will get players to support him quicker. Still a work in progress but where we would be now without his contribution doesn’t bare thinking about.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on October 22, 2022, 08:17:35 pm by Copps is Magic »
Stattos: Last player to reach 9 goals by this stage of the season?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 22, 2022, 08:20:02 pm by Jonathan »
Does Miller get criticised? I don’t feel like he does. There are things he can do better of course, but he seems popular. So he should be with 9 goals and counting.

I've read a few criticisms of him on here & from the previous manager. Unwarranted & uncalled for in my opinion. He's ploughed a lone furrow in almost every game, & hopefully DS will get players to support him quicker. Still a work in progress but where we would be now without his contribution doesn’t bare thinking about.

Give over with the previous manager, he signed him and he played him every minute he was available. He just wanted him to improve, it wasn’t unfair at all.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on October 22, 2022, 08:48:31 pm by since-1969 »
My only problem with Miller is, he seems to want an extra touch before shooting and has missed possible goal opportunities more than once this season. Might be a confidence thing though

We are in L2.
If Miller was as good as we want him to be he wouldn’t be L2 with us.
BS and if John Marquis is anything to go by , didn’t hit the ground running where scoring was concerned but build his reputation with the Rovers over 3-4 seasons and left on high fee . Miller imo is better than Marquis even now .

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on October 22, 2022, 09:10:00 pm by 5 on Tour »
Very different to Marquis. JM was very good at something that gets overlooked far too often. He properly properly made defenders hate him during the game. He would wind them up so they wanted to foul him. He usually had 2 or 3 of them trying to do it at once which in turn meant players like Malik and Herbie had the run of the pitch. Miller is an incredibly gifted, hard working player. JM was the master of shithousery with a good work ehtic(when he wanted) but was not the natural born finisher that our memories portray him as.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 23, 2022, 12:59:51 am by swain_drfc »
If George Miller could score sitters/open nets then he would be champ quality and wouldn’t be our striker. Thank god he can’t score those goals and we have him.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 01:38:23 am by swain_drfc »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on October 23, 2022, 01:36:24 am by Lesonthewest »

Give over with the previous manager, he signed him and he played him every minute he was available. He just wanted him to improve, it wasn’t unfair at all.

Behave yourself, the previous manager called him out for not working enough or not making enough runs, Barrow being an example. Fact was, it was his managers inability to get anyone up there to support him tactically, which continued right up to his last game at Carlisle, which was frankly embarrassing watching balls lumped out of play for him to chase. The only reason he played him every minute was because he thought he may get lucky & a chance would drop for him, rather than the totally inept kind of tactic he chose. Trying to improve him? Don't make me laugh.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 01:38:55 am by Lesonthewest »

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on October 23, 2022, 08:10:31 pm by StocksArmy »
I sensed a bit of a dig from Miller towards GM in his post match interview yesterday with comments like "I think a lot of lads knew what they were doing and had a good idea what others were doing as well"

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on October 23, 2022, 10:13:04 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Let it lie. Onto pastures new.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on October 27, 2022, 09:25:00 pm by Lesonthewest »
Let it lie. Onto pastures new.

Well no not really about letting it lie to be fair, just offering different opinions to others. We have obviously moved on now, onwards & upwards.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on May 25, 2023, 09:34:35 pm by GazLaz »
It’s 3 non penalty goals in 10 games. That’s the rate you would expect him to score at based on his previous numbers. 0.3 goals per game. It’s not really good enough considering he offers pretty much zero in general play.

That’s just my opinion though.

How many lone front men score more than 14 non-penalty league goals and make 10 assists in a season at this level?

9 players average both over 0.3xG per game and over 0.15xA per game. 7 of which (from a quick scan) are “strikers”.

Miller is operating at 0.3xg/90 and 0.1xA/90.

That’s not bad at all through his first 1000 minutes on the pitch for us. We can monitor this over the season as a 10 game sample isn’t greatly accurate.

He ended the season on 0.31 xG per 90. EXACTLY the same as he did last season. Also 0.1 xAssist per 90 which was up from 0.5 last season.

His all round game lets him down on his overall rating.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on May 25, 2023, 10:14:37 pm by mushRTID »
It’s 3 non penalty goals in 10 games. That’s the rate you would expect him to score at based on his previous numbers. 0.3 goals per game. It’s not really good enough considering he offers pretty much zero in general play.

How many lone front men score more than 14 non-penalty league goals and make 10 assists in a season at this level?

9 players average both over 0.3xG per game and over 0.15xA per game. 7 of which (from a quick scan) are “strikers”.

That’s not bad at all through his first 1000 minutes on the pitch for us. We can monitor this over the season as a 10 game sample isn’t greatly accurate.

He ended the season on 0.31 xG per 90. EXACTLY the same as he did last season. Also 0.1 xAssist per 90 which was up from 0.5 last season.

Are you able to determine these figures for his games under McSheffrey and under Schofield?

It would be fairer as his second manager strangled his game to death.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on May 26, 2023, 08:26:52 am by mpc123 »
This is the key, it wasn't the player..... the manager gave him no chance, Messi would have never have seen the ball either.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 26, 2023, 09:22:31 am by GazLaz »

Are you able to determine these figures for his games under McSheffrey and under Schofield?

It would be fairer as his second manager strangled his game to death.

It dropped but not as much as you think. About 0.06 of a goal per 90. He was just scoring at a rate that was unsustainable in the early part of the season.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on May 27, 2023, 10:53:19 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He had a good first half of the season, as the team deteriorated, so did the amount of good chances provided to him. A good signing, with better players around him, he will do better.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on May 27, 2023, 12:34:03 pm by GazLaz »
He had a good first half of the season, as the team deteriorated, so did the amount of good chances provided to him. A good signing, with better players around him, he will do better.

The amount of chances he had didn’t drop as much as you think. We didn’t creat much when GM was with us rather btw.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on May 28, 2023, 06:44:58 am by Padge_DRFC »
Some individual chances I've seen him miss are as close to XG of 1 you'll get as well.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on May 28, 2023, 10:33:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Some individual chances I've seen him miss are as close to XG of 1 you'll get as well.

This.

His lack of confidence in his left foot resulted in at least two of the worst misses I've ever seen from a Rovers striker. He's a 20-a-season striker but for that weakness.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012